Non-motoring > Irish Anthems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 22

Irish Anthems - Duncan
Can anyone explain to me why the Irish have all those anthems?

If one anthem is good enough for England, why isn't one good enough for Ireland?
 Irish Anthems - R.P.
It's a joint NI and RoI team - two anthems is logical. England is lucky enough to be one country (at the moment)
 Irish Anthems - Zero
>> It's a joint NI and RoI team - two anthems is logical. England is lucky
>> enough to be one country (at the moment)

I dont mind england being split up, but I object to paying for the others. I hope that the toll on the severn bridge becomes bi lateral.

Infact as we in England paid for it, it should be free to english registered cars. ONLY
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 13 Mar 10 at 18:15
 Irish Anthems - Iffy
...why the Irish have all those anthems?...

Duncan,

Didn't know they did, so I think you might have to explain the question a little bit more before you get many answers.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Sat 13 Mar 10 at 14:53
 Irish Anthems - R.P.
Ireland Rugby team have two anthems played - for instance today they had two Wales had one !
 Irish Anthems - L'escargot
Sixteen listed here ................ www.emeraldmusiconline.com/catalogue/74/
 Irish Anthems - Runfer D'Hills
I wasn't aware that "England" was a country. I thought it recinded that status in the act of the union. To qualify as a country you have to have an autonomous parliament which England does not. Ironically Scotland and Wales do and can rightly and correctly claim country status. Hoisted by yer own petards eh ?

"Oh Flowers of......."

:-)
 Irish Anthems - Duncan
>> I wasn't aware that "England" was a country. >> correctly claim country status. Hoisted by yer own petards eh ?
>>
>> "Oh Flowers of......."
>>
>> :-)
>>

Splendid! Just what I was looking forward to.....

I didn't mention the word "country".

If you count the "Salute to the President" or whatever it's called, the Irish have three anthems.

Now what is the answer to my question?.
Dunno.
 Irish Anthems - tyro
"Can anyone explain to me why the Irish have all those anthems? If one anthem is good enough for England, why isn't one good enough for Ireland? "

There are many answers to your question.

A. "God Save the Queen" is the official national anthem of the 6 counties, and "The Soldier's Song" is the official national anthem for the 26 counties, and the Londonderry Air is sometimes used as an unofficial anthem on the grounds that it is supposed to unite the whole island. Though of course, if you refer to it as the "Londonderry Air", you'll not unite anybody.

B. You can't expect the Irish to unite around anything, can you?

C. The Irish are such a musical people, that one anthem wouldn't be enough.

D. In addition to the above, there is also the correct answer, which I wouldn't claim to know.
 Irish Anthems - tyro
Duncan, I've just googled, and found the correct answer, courtesy of the BBC.

"Ireland's Call became an official rugby anthem in April 1995, written to bring together every corner of Ireland.

At home games at Lansdowne Road in Dublin, Amhrán na bhFiann (A Soldier's Song) - the national anthem of the Republic of Ireland - is also sung.
"

As for the question - "But why do they insist on singing both of them?" - er, can't help you. That's just the Irish for you.
Last edited by: tyro on Sat 13 Mar 10 at 17:05
 Irish Anthems - tyro
To qualify as a country you have to have an autonomous parliament ....

And your source for this statement is?
 Irish Anthems - Iffy
...And your source for this statement is?...

Inbuilt, ingrained Caledonian inferiority complex? :)

Possibly, or perhaps by the terms set out by the Act of Union or by the definitions required by the United Nations for membership. Hey Ho it matters not.
 Irish Anthems - Iffy
...or by the definitions required by the United Nations for membership...

Wish we didn't qualify for membership of the EU.

And now I'd better get back to (non) motoring.
Quite right Iffy. I've already been scolded.

:-)
 Irish Anthems - Iffy
Good word, scolded.

For me, it has shades of childhood.

I might have been scolded for scrumping apples, or riding my bicycle on the pavement.

Irish Anthems - jc2
"Land of Hope & Glory" for England!!!
 Irish Anthems - Zero
>> I might have been scolded for scrumping apples or riding my bicycle on the pavement.

If scolded means having a rough tough yard dog set on you or the waving of a shotgun, then yes I was scolded for scrumping as well as a kid
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 13 Mar 10 at 21:31
 Irish Anthems - Avant
"If one anthem is good enough for England...."

One official one - but there are plenty more, as in Ireland (and Scotland and Wales).

God save the Queen - the official one but the tune is pretty dire.

Jerusalem (And did those feet) - lifted high by Sir Hubert Parry's wonderful tune, but William Blake was railing against the current state of the country rather than celebrating it.

Land of hope and glory - great fun to sing but the words are from the days when we had an Empire.

I vow to thee my country - words (Sir Cecil Spring-Rice, our Ambassador to the USA during the First World War) and tune (Gustav Holst, from The Planets) are both marvellous and make a fine anthem. It was written by a Christian but non-Christians can equally be inspired by it. So indeed could any Irishman.

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

And there’s another country, I’ve heard of long ago,
Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
And her ways are ways of gentleness and all her paths are peace.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 14 Mar 10 at 00:45
 Irish Anthems - RattleandSmoke
Irish blood English heart by Morrissey.

Dirty old town by the Pogues - Written by Ewan McCall (father of Kirsty) about the horrible industrial landscape of Salford where he was from.

I am not doing very well am I? Both songs were written in Manchester.

The most Irish song to me? I walk the Line by Johnny Cash - I know it is not an Irish song but they used to play it all the time in my local Irish club I used to frequent before I grew up and started going to grown mens clubs where the ganstas hang out.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 14 Mar 10 at 03:50
 Irish Anthems - Zero
What about the wild colonial boy?
 Irish Anthems - BobbyG
Fields of Athenry!!!
Latest Forum Posts