Non-motoring > Led Zep fans - an interesting radio programme. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 19

Led Zep fans - an interesting radio programme. - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w227m
 Led Zep fans - an interesting radio programme. - Iffy
Houses of the Holy was given a lukewarm reception by the critics when it was released.

Led Zep fans - an interesting radio programme. - spamcan61
>> Houses of the Holy was given a lukewarm reception by the critics when it was
>> released.
>>
A little bit before my time, but I was under the impression that most critics hated Led Zep throughout their career - but then I've never taken any notice of critics.

Cheers for the heads up PU.
Nor me - Robert Plant these days is better than the total garbage that pops its irritating head out of the X has got Talent route - very, very good.
 Led Zep fans - an interesting radio programme. - Leif
>> Nor me - Robert Plant these days is better than the total garbage that pops
>> its irritating head out of the X has got Talent route - very, very good.

I hate Lez Zep, but I do agree they walk over most of the skanky nonsense we get today. What on earth has happened to modern British rock music? Where is the modern Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Echo and the Bunnymen, Dexies Midnight Runners, Specials, Sex Pistols, Yes, Stone Roses, Aphex Twin, Ozzie Osbourne, oh I could go on an on listing great British groups from before 2000. Modern ones like Biffy Clyro sound are wet. Bland, dull, derivative.

Has Britain's got Talent killed music?
It has - stone dead actually --
 Led Zep fans - an interesting radio programme. - spamcan61
OK I don't listen to as much music as I used to but in post 2000 terms then Muse are the only British band that stand out for me.
 Led Zep fans - an interesting radio programme. - corax
>> Has Britain's got Talent killed music?

There's still good stuff out there, but you have to look under the radar. The problem is that many talents can't get their music heard through popular sources because it has to be vetted by 'management' before it goes out on air.

Dexies Midnight Runners? Good rock music? Come on Eil.. er Leif.
Last edited by: corax on Fri 26 Nov 10 at 20:23
>> Dexies Midnight Runners? Good rock music? Come on Eil.. er Leif.

Maybe not rock, but contemporary, and good IMO.

I suspect you are right about the management vetting. In the past someone like 'Peely' would air stuff that no-one else would touch. He was the first to play groups such as Orchestral Manouevres in the dark (Electricity), and many many others. Maybe there is a market for a DAB radio station playing that sort of new and off beat music, the kind that is original, and might make it big. Dream on.
...Maybe there is a market for a DAB radio station playing that sort of new and off beat music, the kind that is original, and might make it big. Dream on...

There is such a station, it's called Amazing Radio.

amazingradio.co.uk/
>> There is such a station, it's called Amazing Radio.

Thanks. I've been listening to a few tracks (electronic stuff, goodness knows what the genre is called) and it's excellent! British music lives.
>> ...Maybe there is a market for a DAB radio station playing that sort of new
>> and off beat music, the kind that is original, and might make it big. Dream
>> on...

Marc Riley on 6music (DAB) is good. He plays an assortment of old and new stuff including a band session Mondays to Thursdays 7-9pm. The website is excellent, with the whole back catalogue of Peel sessions and the ability to send a request to have these repeated on the show.
Marc Riley is the other half of the duo Marc and Lard (Mark Radcliffe) that used to be on Radio 1 after John Peels programme. He used to be a member of The Fall. Try it.

Only jesting about Dexy's. I like some of their music.
Last edited by: corax on Sat 27 Nov 10 at 12:03
>> There is such a station, it's called Amazing Radio.
>>
>> amazingradio.co.uk/

Thanks Iffy, sounds good.
...Thanks Iffy, sounds good...

Pleased to be of service.

I hardly listen to it, but at one time they were offering new bands the facility to upload their material to be played on air.

It will be shoestring operation no doubt, but looking at the website I see they have presenters and shows, which for a little DAB station is progress.

My favourite DAB station www.thearrow.co.uk/ has no adverts, no presenters and just plays one record after another.

It can't be paying its way, so it wouldn't surprise me if it shut.

At one time, it had presenters and adverts, but they both disappeared a couple of years ago.

amazingradio.co.uk/

A couple of members were interested in the new music station on DAB called Amazing Radio.

Rooting around the BBC website, I found BBC Introducing.

It seems most of the Beeb's local stations are doing their own weekly new music/unsigned local bands programme.

There will be one in your area, or any of them can be listened to live on the internet and on iPlayer.

www.bbc.co.uk/music/introducing/shows/#regional_shows
Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 5 Feb 11 at 19:40
>> I suspect you are right about the management vetting. In the past someone like 'Peely'
>> would air stuff that no-one else would touch. He was the first to play groups
>> such as Orchestral Manouevres in the dark (Electricity), and many many others.

Just read another part of Peel's biography last night, and it touches on our discussion the other day:

' The music industry had changed dramatically in the nineties. What would have been termed 'indie music' a few years earlier was becoming increasingly popular, and more easily accomodated into the daytime schedule. In the eighties, New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Smiths, Pixies and Mudhoney had found their only British radio exposure on John's show, but their nineties equivalent - Blur, Radiohead, Pulp, Nirvana - were all over the airwaves.
There was no shortage of music that John played but which daytime radio wouldn't touch with a bargepole. Yet he found he had to realign himself, or readjust his expectations. Bands that he had been championing might want to record more sessions with him once they had found success. But their management or record company would often choose instead to plump for other show's earlier in the day, such as The Evening Session, which had a wider audience, So despite having helped their careers, John would lose out.
He was also incredulous to find that Radio 1 breakfast DJs were continuing the stations tradition about what they could be watching on television in the evenings rather than listening to John's show. Whenever he mentioned this, however, it had no effect other than to make him unpopular with colleagues.'

As written by his wife, who wrote the last part of the book as he never had time to finish it, because he never got round to learning how to use his computer.

Led Zep fans - an interesting radio programme. - Zero
>> I hate Lez Zep, but I do agree they walk over most of the skanky
>> nonsense we get today. What on earth has happened to modern British rock music? Where
>> is the modern Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Echo and the Bunnymen, Dexies Midnight Runners, Specials,
>> Sex Pistols, Yes, Stone Roses, Aphex Twin, Ozzie Osbourne, oh I could go on an
>> on listing great British groups from before 2000. Modern ones like Biffy Clyro sound are
>> wet. Bland, dull, derivative.

The kaiser Chiefs?
 Led Zep fans - an interesting radio programme. - Fenlander
>>>Houses of the Holy was given a lukewarm reception by the critics when it was released.

Another of my core LP collection.... wouldn't you know it.
...Houses of the Holy was given a lukewarm reception by the critics when it was released...Another of my core LP collection.... wouldn't you know it...

I think Led Zep made the 'mistake' of not making the same album again when they made Houses of the Holy.

It appears to be more well-regarded now than when it was released.

This quote from the wiki entry sums up the point I was making.

It's just the opinion of a critic, but it's one I agree with. Led Zep I, and particularly II, for me.

According to Led Zeppelin expert Dave Lewis: "In retrospect, 'Houses of the Holy' holds its ground with the middle period releases quite admirably. The barnstorming effect of the early era was now levelling off and though devoid of the electricity of 'Led Zeppelin I' and 'II', or the sheer diversity of the third album, and lacking the classic status of the fourth, 'Houses' took stock of their situation. In doing so, it laid several foundations on which they would expand their future collective musical aspirations."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houses_of_the_Holy
 Led Zep fans - an interesting radio programme. - sherlock47
Interesting program - have you watched any of his other (adult) programs?

tinyurl.com/stefang1 just to give you a taste!
www.thegastronaut.com/index/Danger_Zone_home.html

Latest Forum Posts