Non-motoring > TV Interference Puzzler Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hillman1 Replies: 17

TV Interference Puzzler - hillman1
Hi All,

Some advice please!

Yesterday we lost virtually all signal from analogue channels on our tv, along with freeview. Ordinarily I would assume there was a problem with the external aeriel, however the 2nd tv which we have an internal aeriel with also lost pretty much all signal.

I have tried retuning both, to no avail. I have also looked at details of local transmitters to see if any have faults, but can't seem to find any problems mentioned. Most of our neighbours have sky so aren't experiencing the same problem.

Before I call out an engineer can anyone put forward any suggestions?

Many thanks

Nick
 TV Interference Puzzler - Zero
what's your postcode? (leave out the last two digits)
 TV Interference Puzzler - Fenlander
>>>leave out the last two digits.

Hey you'll spoil all our google/streetview/car on drive/man watering garden fun.
 TV Interference Puzzler - Bromptonaut
Which transmitter and in what direction does your aerial point towards it?

For example, here in Northampton we use the Sandy Heath transmitter and aerials pont south-east towards it. Analogue TV is susceptible to continental interference when conditions favour long distance propagation from Holland/Germany.

>> Which transmitter and in what direction does your aerial point towards it?

thats why I asked him for his postcode.
 TV Interference Puzzler - Dave_
If the OP is in West Yorks or near Felixstowe, there are engineering works scheduled for 0800-1800 today:

bit.ly/dU8kPA

Chances are they are the reason.

No digital switch-over work scheduled to take place this week AFAIK.
 TV Interference Puzzler - Bromptonaut
@Z

Realised that; we cross posted!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 23 Nov 10 at 21:30
Thanks all.

Postcode is me18 6.

Websites suggest that the Tunbridge Wells transmitter is the most likely for my house, but I am pretty sure that the aeriel is pointing to Bluebell Hill. There don't appear to be any planned works or anything as far as I can tell.

One of the websites suggested it could be due to electrical interference from certain equipment. We bought some new cordless phones at the weekend. Don't think they are causing it. We have tried turning them off and unplugging them and there wasn't a noticeable difference. Also tried different cables between TVs and wall sockets..... No joy there either.

Yup you should be pointing at Bluebell hill as your preferred site, if you have no clear view
then 180 degrees about from that bearing to Tunbridge Wells. (TW is a low powered repeater)

neither has engineering works or outages posted.

I suggest you look out of your window to see if your direction of transmitter view has suddenly become blocked, new building? fallen trees? crane? etc etc

Failing that, get some binoculars out and look at your aerial.
Thanks Zero. I don't think there is anything local blocking the transmitter view as we are in a pretty rural location- I haven't noticed anything untoward since yesterday afternoon when the problem began.

I'll get the binoculars out, but may wait until morning!

Will report back...
And remember take care... as in Rod Hull.
yeah, only the Emu can fly.

Even orville cant.
Thanks for the suggestions. Aeriel appears to be OK, and on speaking with another neighbour, who like us is still in the dark ages and doesn't have Sky, they are experiencing the same problem.

I have emailed the BBC from their website about transmission problems, but can't seem to find one generic website in which to report faults which is a little frustrating...

Thanks for your help.
 TV Interference Puzzler - Redviper
Aeriel appears to be OK, and on speaking with another neighbour,
>> who like us is still in the dark ages and doesn't have Sky,

I know its all down to personal choice and preference

I Dont have Sky becasue I will not line Rupert Murdochs Pockets for longer advertising sections a majority of American Imports, and cheap standard televison anyway.

When I lived by myself Freeview offered me all I needed now i live with my partner she has Virgin Personally (with the excpetion of Wheeler Dealers on Disco Turbo,) I watch the free to Air Channels anway - however Ive tried telling SWMBO but apperntly the fee is worth it to keep the one channel that she does like watching.
>>>still in the dark ages and doesn't have Sky.

Similar here RV.... I don't watch football and I can't see any further benefit to the extra Sky channels. Even with just Freeview we build up more stuff to watch on the hard drive than we have time to go back to.

Mind you there is plenty to occupy in the fen what with gathering wood for the fire and coypu hunting for the pot.... and if there's absolutely nothing else to do there's Mrs F to talk to.
 TV Interference Puzzler - PhilW
"could be due to electrical interference from certain equipment"
Our coffee machine causes our TV picture to break up!
 TV Interference Puzzler - spamcan61
Maybe nextdoor have just bought a load of ethernet powerline adaptors, they can be pretty good broadband jammers.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Tv reception restored last night. I emailed the BBC fault dept and had no reply- rang them yesterday afternoon and was told the transmitter was out of action and they had received a number of calls from my area about it. Interestingly though this fault was not mentioned on the website I looked at several times throughout the week.

Anyway, all good again now, so I can get back to watching the utter drivel that is normally shown :-)

Thanks again,

Nick
Latest Forum Posts