Non-motoring > can shops refuse to refund? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 28

can shops refuse to refund? - TheManWithNoName
We've got a factory outlet shopping Hell near us and I followed the wife into a clothes shop which proudly declared 'As from next week we are no longer issuing refunds but will issue a credit note instead'.

Is this legal?
 can shops refuse to refund? - Bromptonaut
If it's for 'customer goodwill' refunds ie changed mind, bought wrong colour or size and suchlike then yes, legal.

Not legal for goods that are not fit for purpose etc.

I thought that was the case. However there was no proviso mentioned. Just the basic statement of no refunds. Not even a 'Your statutory rights remain unaffected...)
 can shops refuse to refund? - R.P.
Do I have to accept a credit note for goods returned to a shop?

This information applies to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

If you take goods back to the seller because they are of unsatisfactory quality, not fit for their purpose or do not match their description then you do not have to accept a credit note, you are within your legal rights to ask for your money back.

However, if you accept a credit note when you were entitled to your money back, you cannot later change your mind unless you can prove that you were forced to accept the credit note by the seller.

If you have taken goods back to a seller because you simply changed your mind about them, for example you did not really like the colour, then you would have no legal right to ask for your money back. If the seller is offering you a credit note in these circumstances they are doing more than is required by the law.

From the CAB website - I saw it as an exercise for my future role with them !
 can shops refuse to refund? - Zero
Err guys, this is a factory outlet, they will state the goods are "imperfect" (they dont have to be nor are they usually)

there fore you are told you are buying goods that are seconds, and therefore no refunds.
 can shops refuse to refund? - Bellboy
you still cant take away consumer rights though whether they are seconds or not
so a statement trying to deny you consumer rights is still illegal
you can if you state the goods are not perfect. you cant bring back defective goods and claim they are defective if they were sold to you as defective.
 can shops refuse to refund? - Iffy
Common sense says if you buy something cheap because there is, say, a mark on it, you cannot return it because it's stained.

But if all the buttons fall off, you can reasonably expect a refund.

can shops refuse to refund? - Mapmaker
Zero, you're not quite right. Only if the defect has been pointed out to you does it cease to be a reason for refund.

So, if you buy an XL shirt with a missing button and the label says "one button missing, reduced to £1" and it turns out ALSO to be the wrong size - i.e. it's a M - then you are perfectly within your rights to return it for a full refund as it is not fit for purpose.
 can shops refuse to refund? - BobbyG
Agree with Mappie, our charity shops can sell seconds but they must still be fit for purpose.
 can shops refuse to refund? - Mapmaker
Mapmaker, please.
now now don't get snotty mappie

Can you demand a refund from a charity shop tho?
 can shops refuse to refund? - Iffy
...Can you demand a refund from a charity shop tho?...

Don't see why not, they are a retailer same as anybody else.

Although it might not be seen as very charitable to do so.

can shops refuse to refund? - BobbyG
Zeroey, yes you can get a refund from a charity shop.

At the end of the day, we are a retailer like anyone else. We also have shoplifters, people who try and con us, people who try and pass us forged notes etc etc etc
 can shops refuse to refund? - Cliff Pope
>> Zeroey, >>

Naughty :)
 can shops refuse to refund? - Robin O'Reliant

>> Can you demand a refund from a charity shop tho?
>>
Letting ourselves go a little then, Zero?
cleraly my old fruit you havent seen the charity shops round my way.

Nicole gets her barely worn jimmy choo shoes from them. We have *really* posh charity shops in cobham, esher and weybridge.
 can shops refuse to refund? - Robin O'Reliant
That's just how it starts.

Soon you'll be telling us how you keep fit and healthy by foraging in the bins outside KFC ;-)
 can shops refuse to refund? - swiss tony
>>. We have *really* posh charity shops in cobham, esher and weybridge.
>>
Ill say!
the stock there is loads better than our tat!
 can shops refuse to refund? - BiggerBadderDave
I found my dining room table on a skip in Herne Hill about 10 years ago. Still got it and it's a lovely as the day it left the shop.
> the shop. >Herne Hill?

That would be Trotters Independent Traders then?
Yeah, you'd think I'd learn after my inflatable friend exploded.
 can shops refuse to refund? - R.P.
I heard she ran off with an inner tube Dave - kept a low profile since then.
She retyred.
I've just been reading some of the posts about goods being seconds.

This is a factory outlet shop and absolutely no where in any of the stores does it state the goods are substandard in any way. People go there to buy a bargain i.e. a £50 shirt for £10 etc.
 can shops refuse to refund? - Pat
If you're getting a £50 shirt for £10 surely it tells you that it's reduced for a reason?

Pat
>> If you're getting a £50 shirt for £10 surely it tells you that it's reduced
>> for a reason?
>>
>> Pat
>>
>>>>>> you can bet the shirt was pink ;-)
 can shops refuse to refund? - Pat
That would have done for BBD then:)

Pat
factory outlets used to buy in seconds tat and sell it with their own end of line quality stuff
it was mostly rubbish with an obviously exaggerated rsp reduced by 5000% this week only
Latest Forum Posts