Non-motoring > Unfortunate headlines Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 78

Unfortunate headlines - Cliff Pope
This is the point where the team are asked to read out the newspaper cuttings they have brought along.

This is from yesterday's Daily Telegraph front page:

"Husband flies to South Africa to help murder police"
 Unfortunate headlines - Ian (Cape Town)
Low-paid and untrained subs!

Oh, and that whole case stinks like a week-old cod...
 Unfortunate headlines - henry k
>>Low-paid and untrained subs!
>>
Daily Wail
"...visiting tourist destinations such as Table Mountain and the city’s plush waterfront area."

Not aware of much touring of the waterfront by car and it was reported that they were staying in the Cape Grace Hotel which, as you and I know well, is in the waterfront complex.

>>Oh, and that whole case stinks like a week-old cod...
I agree.

The timings, the crime scene, the fact that the hubby's story is as full of holes as a string vest...
Now the driver (who didn't call for help after being thrown out the car???!!!) has turned state witness, and claims that a syndicate will try to kill him.
That and the small matter of £6 mill debt...
 Unfortunate headlines - Zero
"Oh I want to go and see a township"

Yes dear, keep taking the medicine.
>> "Oh I want to go and see a township"
>>
>> Yes dear, keep taking the medicine.
>>
The right response!!
I have driven past that township on both sides on many occasions.
It is vast. It is miles across. Over the years it has expanded so much.
Brits that have not seen it have no idea of what a different world it is.
I have been driven through one smaller settlement with a local friend and a resident.
It was very interesting to see but we did not dwell there :-)
 Unfortunate headlines - John H
>> That and the small matter of £6 mill debt...
>>
>>

Absolutely nothing sinister about that.

Aren't you all armchair detectives just wonderful..

The newspapers do not have the time or space nor access to all the details to report the full stories. What happened was ghastly in the extreme. The husband's family has strong connections with SA, and so he knew the country well. The driver was hired from a reputable company who are now claiming he was doing the work freelance. The driver is now reported to have admitted that he phoned his accomplices in advance to tell them where to ambush the car. The lady who died was found in a state of undress, and one theory is that although she was not raped, she was killed because of the resistance she put up.

Please stop all the absurd innuendo and slurs on a family who are grieving and have only just cremated the lady last weekend. The only thing that the couple could be accused of was naivety, but even that is based on poor reporting of facts.

This was in the news yesterday "BBC radio presenter Liz Kershaw has spoken of her horror after her son's friend was beaten and stabbed to death. Adil Basharat was assaulted at the gates of Kingsbrook School in Deanshanger, Northamptonshire, on Friday morning." Does that mean that Deanshanger is a dangerous area where people should not go? Should we warn tourists to keep away from that "real Britain"?

It is shameful that newspapers fill their papers with such nasty speculation and conspiracy theories, and I hope the SA Police do a better job than the Portuguese Police did in the Madeleine McCann investigation.

p.s. re. the £6 million debt - In case you don't know, most companies (and countries too, as Ireland, Greece, UK and USA are finding out) are run on borrowed money. And yes, let me declare a personal interest in this story - I have known the murdered lady's Dad's family for many years.

>> >> That and the small matter of £6 mill debt...
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>> Absolutely nothing sinister about that.
>>
>> Aren't you all armchair detectives just wonderful..
>>
>> The newspapers do not have the time or space nor access to all the details
>> to report the full stories.

*Really? Please note my address. Also note that I WORK at Cape Town's largest newspaper. So get to see/hear much more than most.

>>so he knew the country well.
* If he was in Gugulethu at 11pm then obviously NOT.

The driver was
>> hired from a reputable company who are now claiming he was doing the work freelance.
* Really? That's not what we heard. Staright from the horse's (company's) mouth.

>> The driver is now reported to have admitted that he phoned his accomplices in advance
>> to tell them where to ambush the car.
* The same driver who is now under police protection, as he hints there is a 'syndicate' out to get him. and that is not 'reported', that is what he said in court the other day.

>> It is shameful that newspapers fill their papers with such nasty speculation and conspiracy theories,
*Ok, what have WE reported? Well, apart from an extensive interview with the lawyer of the driver, some direct quotes from senior police officers, as well as evidence led in court, not much else.
I don't give a toss what is reported in the British papers about this city, I'm more concerned about what a Cape Town paper prints about stuff which occurs in Cape Town.
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Wed 24 Nov 10 at 03:43
*BUMP*

Tsongo pleas in court this morning that he was paid R16 000 by the husband to organise the killing.
 Unfortunate headlines - Iffy
It's a plot that just keeps on thickening:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335537/The-nagging-questions-honeymoon-murder-growing.html
 Unfortunate headlines - Old Sock
Unfortunately not a headline, but an advert many years ago in the Stamford Mercury announced the sale of a deceased local aristo's estate. Paraphrased from memory, it read:

"Upon the instructions of the Executors, an auction will take place of the contents of the estate of Lord xxxxx (removed for convenience of sale)."

I guess his presence would have been a little offputting :-)
Thanks OS. That was more what I had in mind - amusing wordings, rather than a discussion of the South African justice system.
 Unfortunate headlines - Mike Hannon
From today's Daily Telegraph website:

'German haircut demands fuel crisis'

Well, I had to read it three times...
Mind-boggling. I suppose people with extremely short Prussian haircuts feel the cold, turn the heating up, cause a fuel crisis.
 Unfortunate headlines - helicopter
On BBC Rado 2 headlines last week Moira Stuart read a story about an argument in Italy as to whether a Roman statue should have its damaged manhood replaced .....

then she said 'for a report over to our reporter Nigel Willie...'.
 Unfortunate headlines - Crankcase
Some years ago, a colleague wrote a novel set in Renaissance Italy, using an early Amstrad word processor.

He discovered it had a funky new feature - "search and replace".

At the last minute he decided to change the hero's name using this feature, and sent it off.

The publishers wrote back and said they'd enjoyed the novel, but were puzzled by the frequent references to Michelangelo's Nigel.

Unfortunate headlines - Roger.
In a Nottingham evening paper, many, many years ago (1957/8) regarding an Antarctic crossing by a well known explorer of the day.......

"Fuchs off again"
 Unfortunate headlines - Runfer D'Hills
>> "Fuchs off again"

Tell me his parting words were "See you next Tuesday!"
 Unfortunate headlines - VxFan
Quite a few here:-

jn10.co.uk/stories/newspaper-headlines.php
www.oddee.com/item_96156.aspx

tinyurl.com/38xzhg5

or perhaps NOT unfortunate - just true!
My missus has just heard someone say (on Secret Millionaire):

"use that knife and you'll put someone in their grave for the rest of their life"

She watches some quality stuff :-)
Not a newspaper headline but, as i passed by this afternoon, large signs displayed outside Sandown Racecourse " UKs No 1 CARP show.

Well it made me smile.
 Unfortunate headlines - Leif
Some while back there was a small ad in a newspaper for an "Antique commode and stool". I don't think the seller saw the unintended meaning. And apparently after an Oxford Cambridge boat race, the radio presenter said something along the lines of "And as is traditional after a race, the winning crew is now dipping their cox in the water". That might be apochryphal.
We used to have an antique commode in an old cottage we had. Used to keep firewood in it. Did sometimes get a funny look from visitors when one of us asked the other to fetch a log out of the commode...or indeed "have you filled the commode today darling?"
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 28 Nov 10 at 22:10
And the reply was ?- "I dumped a load in there yesterday! What are you doing with all that ?"
 Unfortunate headlines - scousehonda
"the winning crew is now dipping their cox in the water"

The version that I remember was - "Princess Anne kissed the cox of the winning crew"!!
Yesterday, a roadside advertising board for a nearby fishing complex. At the bottom of it:

"Huge Tackle Shop"
Today
A skeleton train service has been restored
(During this awful weather)
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11916838
 Unfortunate headlines - Armel Coussine
There used to be a joke about a US report on an escaped lunatic, a rapist, who invaded a laundry and fled. The headline was 'NUT SCREWS WASHERS AND BOLTS'.

It was the only improper joke my father ever told me.
 Unfortunate headlines - devonite
From our local "evening" paper a couple of years ago:

"William Shakespere is killed by a Panda"

story was along the lines of: A local farmer had a Water Buffalo called William Shakespere, which was prone to escaping it`s field. One night it strayed onto the A590 and was hit and killed by a Fiat Panda.

The question "how did Shakespere die?" featured in quite a few pub quizzes around that time!
 Unfortunate headlines - Badwolf
From the Irish Times: "Cork Man Drowns". Sad subject, but it made me laugh.

I was in Inverness years ago the day after Inverness Caledonia Thistle thumped Airdrie in the Scottish Cup. The sports editor of the local paper must have had a rare epiphany as the headline on the back page was "Super Caley Go Ballistic, Airdrie Were Atrocious". Another one that still makes me giggle.
 Unfortunate headlines - ....
You might find it was Celtic not Airdrie. Feb 8th 2000.
 Unfortunate headlines - scousehonda
Spot on gmac. It was Celtic and John Barnes got the chop shortly afterwards.
It must be something about bored sports editors. Mine years ago came up with 'Phil The Shooter's Haul'.
 Unfortunate headlines - R.P.
In the local paper here "Water company given conditional discharge after sewage leak" mmm ?
 Unfortunate headlines - SteelSpark
It seems that the allegations against the husband are being taken sufficiently seriously for him to be arrested and an attempt made to extradite him.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-11945835

If he is innocent it would probably have been better for him to go of his own accord.

Still that doesn't mean he is guilty.
I've just remembered - from the Bridgwater Mercury in the early 1970s:

''Problem window at Petherton - surveyor to look into it''

With apologies to excellent editor Mike Parsons - you may have trained Anne Diamond, but you let that one through...
...you may have trained Anne Diamond, but you let that one through...

I'd have thought it was the other way around. :)

Unfortunate headlines - Dave_
bit.ly/i4domW
Is he a builder?
 Unfortunate headlines - midlifecrisis
From the Daily Mail..a publication that truely NEVER lets facts get in the way of an outragous headline. (I wouldn't wipe my backside with the rag).

Taking their usual tack of attacking the Police:

‘Children watch in horror as marksmen round-up escaped cows in field next to hospital…… and shoot them all’

The picture included has the title :

Grisly scene: The carcasses of 30 cows shot dead by police marksmen lay scattered on a field

When the facts are (in the small print)

"He said the final decision to slaughter the 30 animals was not taken by police and officers had no involvement in it. "

For the so called 'journalist' employed by this disgrace..that's called a LIE. It's about the only thing the paper excels at.

....that's called a LIE...

How is it a lie when the facts are in the story?

At what range does successfully hitting a cow make one a marksman?

Is firing a bolt at point blank range evidence of marksmanship?
...At what range does successfully hitting a cow make one a marksman?...

I was present when an RSPCA man attempted to use a pistol to despatch a seal.

The sick animal was stranded on a rocky coastline.

The RSPCA man fired a shot into the seal's head from about a metre.

I believe he was on target, but all the bullet did was cause the seal to rear up and lunge forward.

The RSPCA man turned to flee, fell over on the rocks, and dropped the gun as he did so.

You can see how accidents happen. :)

How is it a Lie??

They clearly state that the cows were shot by Police Officers...while buried in the story it is clear they knew this WASN'T the case. I cannot comprehend how you can defend this joke of a publication.

Unfortunate headlines - Focusless
>> They clearly state that the cows were shot by Police Officers...while buried in the story
>> it is clear they knew this WASN'T the case.

I assumed the "it" referred to the decision rather than the shooting?

"He said the final decision to slaughter the 30 animals was not taken by police and officers had no involvement in it. "
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 16 Mar 11 at 13:09
...I assumed the "it" referred to the decision rather than the shooting?...

Reading it again, I think the same.

It's not the clearest of sentences, but I think it means: "Someone other than a police officer decided the cows were to be shot and the police marksmen shot them."

That makes sense because it appears the police marksmen were the only people on the patch at the time with guns.

So the Mail story is probably correct in all material respects.

But let's not let the truth interfere with yet another rant against the Daily Mail.

Leaving that aside, how mlc can describe the Mail as 'anti-police' is beyond me - the paper pursues a right wing law and order agenda in which the police are very much a part.

Will bent coppers and barmy chief constables appear in the Mail?

Of course they will, support should not be confused with sycophancy.

>> I assumed the "it" referred to the decision rather than the shooting?
>>
>> "He said the final decision to slaughter the 30 animals was not taken by police
>> and officers had no involvement in it. "
>
Thats the way I read it.
I have to say this whole story stinks. Apart from anything else it raises the question of whether children were really distressed by the sight of some dead cows or cows being shot, why those responsible for them didn't lead them away if they were distressed, and why in God's name anyone thought it worth complaining about. Children in my experience are often very heartless, and are perhaps becoming more so, not less, under the daily barrage of simulated murder and torture coming out of the TV.

What do people think they have on their plates for Sunday lunch? How do they think it got there? Why do so many parents imagine that their fertility is an excuse to go about gobbling balderdash like mentally defective turkeys?

I can't begin to express my scorn for these aspects of the modern world. These people need their bums kicked hard and repeatedly.
The Police DIDN'T shoot them.

But if the Daily Mail says we did, then it must be true. As for them being pro-Police. Are you for real.

According to them, we're all wasters who get quadruple time just for turning up. Retire at 25 on a million pounds a year and do nothing but target 95 year old grandmas for doing 2mph over the limit.

The editor of that rag must laugh himself to sleep knowing there are still so many, so gullible as to buy and read the drivel that appears in it.
 Unfortunate headlines - Focusless
>> The Police DIDN'T shoot them.

Sorry mlc - is that something you know through inside info?
It's not insdie info.

It's info the jokers at the DM chose to leave out. Gutter journalism at its worst.
...Gutter journalism at its worst...

So who shot the cows then?

A militia who just happened to be passing?

If you think that's gutter journalism at its worst, you've led a very sheltered life.

Then, the world's against you, isn't it?

Every copper knows that.

Keep it more friendly please. Can either of you provide a source for this sorry tale where it shows one way or another who did what and to whom.
Get a grip man.

I don't care if they criticise plod or not..as long as it's FACTUAL! It's a word the DM have no understanding of. It may surprise to know that they're are people available to humanly dispose of animals. A 9mm is not the round of choice.

But don't let that get in the way of your lovefest. I bet you spend the afternoon furiously pressing the red arrow on the comments section when anyone dares point out the lies in their stories. You probably have a very sore finger.
...I bet you spend the afternoon furiously pressing the red arrow on the comments section when anyone dares point out the lies in their stories...

Oddly enough, not.

I'm not obsessed with the Daily Mail in the way some folk are on here.

>> Why do so many parents imagine that their fertility is an excuse to go about gobbling balderdash like mentally defective turkeys?

Of course if they didn't iffski's black propaganda Comintern sleeper organ would be a bit empty. But think of the blessed peace that would descend on the land!
...But think of the blessed peace that would descend on the land!...

No, think of all the millions of folk who would have nothing to read with their morning coffee and toast.

They'd find something else iffy, tomorrow's chip paper and all that (applies to all newspaper)
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-12732054

Iffy and MLC please read the above - this is a totally trusted source of news - the report in the Mail is written in a way that distorts the facts and I would say it's so inaccurate as it borders either on a lie or crap reporting. Make your own minds up. I have.
I already knew the facts..but there are non so difficult as those that don't want to believe the truth.

(And I'd go with 'blatant lie'...if it quacks like a duck!)
www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/100082/chirk-cows-slaughter-in-best-interests-of-the-animals-.aspx

Another source - note the Police Spokesman's comments at the end - pretty clear eh ? No ambiguity at all.
Iffy I think an apology is called for now.
...Iffy I think an apology is called for now...

For what?

Read the Daily Mail story, it's true.

And even if it wasn't, it's up to the Mail to apologise for it, not me.

Mlc has posted abusive remarks about journalists.

I've posted no abuse about police.

Why are you not asking him to apologise?

Finally, the source we are arguing about:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366097/Cow-slaughter-anger-marksmen-gun-herd-field-hospital.html

The story doesn't say the police shot the animals - the Mail's story is not a lie, it is true.

mlc missed a trick, there are far better ones on the Mail's news list today.

Trouble is, they are all true as well.

How about:

"Married police officer howls in anguish as he's jailed for having sex on the beat."

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366551/Married-police-officer-howls-like-baby-jailed-having-sex-vulnerable-woman-beat.html

The only surprise there is he was on the beat in the first place.

Or there is:

'Two policemen crashed drink driver's Mitsubishi on joyride after pulling him over.'

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366774/Two-policemen-crashed-drink-drivers-Mitsubishi-joyride-pulling-over.html

And last, but by no means least:

"Does it really take 30 police officers 30 hours to round up two dangerous dogs?"

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366732/Does-really-need-60-police-officers-including-lion-vet-30-hours-round-dangerous-dogs.html

If I call Iffy a di ckhead will I get banned? Theoretically of course.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 16 Mar 11 at 18:19
...If I call Iffy a di ckhead will I get banned? Theoretically of course...

Get rid of Jack, and up pops Jill.

Theoretically, what happen If I called him an intelectual pigmy instead?
...If I called him an intelectual pigmy instead?...

Only an intellectual pygmy couldn't spell intellectual.

I know spelling mistakes appeal to your small mind, its like feeding the goldfish.
...I know spelling mistakes appeal to your small mind...

You have no idea what appeals to my mind, small or otherwise.

Yet more claptrap you cannot substantiate, but I'm sure it demonstrates your intellect.

Ohh Nice Castle,

Ohh Nice Castle.

Ohh Nice Castle.

The Daily Mail doesn't say the Police shot them? In big bold letters under the photo it clearly says:

Grisly scene: The carcasses of 30 cows shot dead by police marksmen lay scattered on a field

I'm surprised you haven't posted the 'Police in surveillance operation to stop toddlers pulling up daffodils'. How Officers 'swooped' on three little girls and threatened them with arrest. Disgraceful waste of taxpayers money.

You are right though. I do need to apologise to journalist. Because I called the lowlifes who work at the DM by that title and I'm sure real journalist would take offence at being associated with them.
...Grisly scene: The carcasses of 30 cows shot dead by police marksmen lay scattered on a field...

Yes, I missed the caption and it's clearly wrong, even their own poxy story says it is.

It will be a straightforward balls-up on their part, but they should still correct it if it's brought to their attention.

You might find it hard to believe, but the paper will be wary about what it writes about policemen, particularly individual officers, because your federation has proved itself very adept at fighting its corner.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 16 Mar 11 at 18:44
Grisly scene: The carcasses of 30 cows shot dead by police marksmen lay scattered on a field in Wrexham, north Wales today

Iffy - this it what captions one of the photographs. On balance of probabilities that didn't actually happen as they claim. So its wrong - either badly researched or a blatant lie, so MLC berating of the hacks involved was understandable. I appreciate you're defending your profession here but whichever way you hold it up to the light it is wrong.

Right this is the end of it. The matter for some obscure reason has ended up being debated on here
and it stops here.
In the hope of calming the situation after the event, may I remind people that the term 'Pygmy' used to describe a human deficiency, or indeed a small person whether so for genetic or environmental reasons, is frowned upon by African nationalists and has been for many years? The word was banned in Gabon whose president, Omar Bongo, is, er, not very tall.

May I also repeat that the scene was only 'grisly' to a half-witted, Disney-influenced sentimentalist? A sensitive child might indeed be appalled at the sight of a large animal being shot dead before its eyes. But one would hope that its parents would have removed it in time, instead of standing on the sidelines gobbling like mentally defective turkeys.
>> banned in Gabon whose president, Omar Bongo, is, er...

Fakawe tribe?
Spotted the other day as the 'front splash' in a paper I used to work for: 'Axe falls on buses'.
Well, I'd try T-Cut before going any further...
Latest Forum Posts