Non-motoring > UK Citizenship Test Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 89

UK Citizenship Test - Bromptonaut
This came up on CycleChat and seemed worth trying here.

I'm UK born/bred, 50 and towards the upper end of the junior Civil Service. I failed the UK citizenship test.

How did you do??

www.ukcitizenshiptest.co.uk/
 UK Citizenship Test - Hard Cheese

15/24 - failed.
 UK Citizenship Test - Iffy
...How did you do??...

Fail - 12 out of 24.

UK Citizenship Test - sooty123
17/24 failed
 UK Citizenship Test - Tooslow
I failed. I scored 13. I was guessing most of the time.

Does this mean I have to go back to Yorkshire?

John
 UK Citizenship Test - Stuu
I failed. 13/24.

I have no idea why statistics are anything to do with citizenship since many ministers cant recite their own government stats.

Seems more like a pub quiz to me.
 UK Citizenship Test - R.P.
16/24
 UK Citizenship Test - Bagpuss
I got 9/24. Do I have to give my passport back?
 UK Citizenship Test - Duncan
13/24 Failed. Do I have to spend the rest of my life in Surrey?

A lot of guessing, does it make me a bad citizen if I don't know the exact year in which womwn got the right to divorce their husbands?

UK Citizenship Test - Runfer D'Hills
16/24 - I don't mind leaving if I can go somewhere nice and sunny please ?
 UK Citizenship Test - FocalPoint
16/24. Should have been 17 - I misread one question.

I'm a retired teacher with a degree and other professional qualifications; I am obviously unfit to be a citizen.
Strikes me that knowing stats about the muslim population is somewhat less relevant than knowing the rules about international driving licenses or something about how our political system works. Who on earth makes this stuff up?
 UK Citizenship Test - The Nut
Mrs. Nut used to work for a company that amongst other things ran a test centre for the Life in the UK test, none of the staff could pass the test on their first attempt.
 UK Citizenship Test - legacylad
I dont see a problem wi that missen.
 UK Citizenship Test - Statistical Outlier
Blimey, my speed guessing skills must be worthy of a UK citizen:

You have passed the practice citizenship test.
Questions answered correctly: 19 out of 24 (79%)
Time taken: 03 minutes 06 seconds
 UK Citizenship Test - Zero
13/24 - 54% failed.

I tell you what I fail, I fail to see how most of those questions has any relevance or shows any knowledge of UK citizenship.

You sure its not a joke?
 UK Citizenship Test - madf
You have failed the practice citizenship test.

Questions answered correctly: 13 out of 24 (54%)
Edit:

No practical questions: mainly irrelevant to daily life.

Therfore typical civil service.
 UK Citizenship Test - Armel Coussine
16. Of course I've always been a bit of an alien.
 UK Citizenship Test - sherlock47
Fail at 16!

ans I am not sure I would do any better if I retook it.
 UK Citizenship Test - spamcan61
14/24

Fail

Please don't make me go back to Luton.

Does seem like an odd set of questions, nothing about cricket for starters. ;-)
 UK Citizenship Test - rtj70
How can knowing the answers to those questions be of any use to a new or old citizen? e.g. when did women get the right to divorce. Well they have the right now and it was wrong they didn't before 18xx (1857?).
 UK Citizenship Test - RattleandSmoke
13/24.

I failed on the some of silly questions like in the 1980's what was the biggest imigrant group or what year did women get the right to get divorced etc.
 UK Citizenship Test - PhilW
Miserable failure 13/24
But then it's a memory test not a test of knowledge of UK and your suitabilty to be a citizen - read the booklet, can you remember the irrelevant facts? Does it really matter that I guess 14million Under 15s (or was it U16s) rather than the correct 15 million?
 UK Citizenship Test - VxFan
You think that's miserable.

Questions answered correctly: 8 out of 24 (33%)
 UK Citizenship Test - CGNorwich
This site has nothing to do with the UK Government and is simply a scam, like many similar sites, set up to extract money from immigrants. The questions are made to look difficult so that you buy their book. All official government sites end in .gov

The official UK Border agency site provides examples of the information that is required to pass the test. It is of of a considerably more practical nature than that provided in the OP's link.

www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmlsite/index.html

If you were all taken in by this what hope does an immigrant have?

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 21:14
 UK Citizenship Test - Robin O'Reliant
I got ten, and at least half of those were guesses.
I got ten, and at least half of those were guesses.
So bad I said it twice.

What happened there?
that means you got 20 - you passed
 UK Citizenship Test - Perky Penguin
18 out of 24 - some of the questions were a bit ambiguous. N0 17 about who can vote was odd. The answer to How many Parliamentary Constituencies are there did not include the answer "Too Many"! I have been a British citizen since before WW2 and I don't have to take an exam, luckily.
 UK Citizenship Test - RattleandSmoke
To be fair I knew it wasn't a government site, but I thought it was an official test endorsed by the government. I didn't really take any notice to be honest.

>> This site has nothing to do with the UK Government and is simply a scam,
>> like many similar sites, set up to extract money from immigrants. The questions are made
>> to look difficult so that you buy their book. All official government sites end in
>> .gov

I suspect you're right CGN, though so much govt stuff is contracted out that one can never be quite sure about domain suffixes. And some organisations most of us would associate with government, for example the Parliamentary and Local Govt Ombudsmen, use .org to emphasise their independence.

It was however only posted as a 'fun' thread.
 UK Citizenship Test - Dave_
17/24 for me.

I used to work with an Indian chap who'd spend every spare minute swotting up for his citizenship test. Nice as pie he was, completely unintelligible speech, but obviously very keen to become a fully-fledged citizen and we all supported him in his endeavours.
 UK Citizenship Test - Pat
16/24 for me.

Pat
 UK Citizenship Test - Netsur
63% 15/24

Some questions are irrelevant.

Why do you need to know when women were given the right to divorce their husbands? Who cares about Scots Ulster dialect? Other questions contains useful items of fact which will assist in understanding the country, the way news is reported and the way we are governed.

UK Citizenship Test - L'escargot
14 out of 24 ~ failed. Most of my answers were guesses.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 23 Nov 10 at 07:41
 UK Citizenship Test - hobby
Another 13/24...
Right I've just asked your ISPs for your addresses.

Letters confirming your expulsion from the UK will be issued in the next 7 days..
do we get the choice of where to get expulded to?
 UK Citizenship Test - movilogo
I sat for this test last year (to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain) and passed on first attempt.

Although it allows 45 minutes I actually completed it in just 3 minutes.

There is a book avaialble in market which is the study material for this exam. It is damn easy to pass. You just need to memorize few facts.

Previously lots of migrants claimed British citizenship without learning English. This test just tries to prevent that. It also makes some money for Home Office. The current cost of citizenship application stands around £1000 for a family of 3.
 UK Citizenship Test - sherlock47
Will the regulation of ISPs and data held by them go the same way as the DVLA? Anybody with the money can buy the right to trace who posted what?

Z - expulded, expulde or expulsed?
Last edited by: pmh on Tue 23 Nov 10 at 12:52
 UK Citizenship Test - Clk Sec
I scored 14 (58%) and failed.

It's off to Oz, then.
 UK Citizenship Test - Armel Coussine
Of course these were multiple-choice questions in some cases requiring quite precise knowledge of government statistics. Even a dedicated news addict like me wouldn't have much of a clue. Why should they?

And no provision was made for a quintessentially English answer along the lines of:

'Look, how the hell do I know? I'm not a damn government bureaucrat. Looks to me as if these are trick questions to filter out foreigners and other undesirables. Just as well I've got my passport, what?'
Just had an e-from the Home Office - I'm being deported to the Maldives...
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 23 Nov 10 at 13:23
Been there. Thought I better had before it disappeared beneath the waves. Muslim country so no booze except on "uninhabited" islands. The definition of uninhabited being "not inhabited by natives", so all of the tourist islands are uninhabited. Not much in the way of roads, as there is not much in the way of land, so no real opportunity for cars or motorbikes. You can only visit inhabited islands by invitation. A new island is appearing out of the sea, the rubbish dump. Tough luck PU!

John
>> Will the regulation of ISPs and data held by them go the same way as
>> the DVLA? Anybody with the money can buy the right to trace who posted what?
>>
>> Z - expulded, expulde or expulsed?

Don't ask me - clearly I am not fit or qualified to use English.
The simple test of Englishness is to as people to queue. Anyone who refuses or leaves the queue is out, anyone who stays the course is in. Apparently we are known for our ability to wait in line so anyone who can manage it should be just fine :-)
 UK Citizenship Test - Mapmaker
"Correct. The Church of England is called the Anglican Church in other countries and the Episcopal Church in Scotland."

So if it's only the Church of England in England, then surely neither of these is an alternative name?

Since when do under 18s not get free prescriptions?

"This Handbook is the only official test book written by the Home Office Life in the UK Advisory Group, the people who set the citizenship test." So maybe they are official?
All prescriptions are free in Wales....typical Anglocentric stuff.
 UK Citizenship Test - TheManWithNoName
What a pile of crap.

I failed but I'm not bitter. Just baffled at the type of obscure questions. Some historical others just pointless. It hardly confirms whether you can settle in the UK or not.

Perhaps a question should be:

Q. You have just arrived in the UK from (insert name of dry, dusty far away country of your choice). Can you claim benefits immediately?

Yes.
No.

They ought to ask questions such as;

Which Englishman holds the World land speed record?
a/b/c/
Which Englishmen last won the F1 championship?
a/b/c
What did his Dad do for a living (no clues)
Name three badge engineered variants of the Austin Cambridge (no clues given).
What happened in 1066?

Apologies to Scots/Irish/Welsh but with another 20 questions to go I've left room for you! Well, this is a car site, wodya expect? :-)

John
Sounds more relevent....last question would be

Do you want to buy a cyclecarrier ?
No offense to anyone involved in this area of things, but is anyone really suprised by the questions? You know they were formulated by a commitee of people who have very little touch with reality even before you start.
Just imagine being stuck somewhere with them. The conversation. Agh!

John
We may mis-understand the whole thing, thinking about it it's more about reading and understanding English, difficult to fake the answers without doing basic reading and learning in the main language of the country you want to live in. So given the constraints of the test it may actually be quite an effective one.
Possibly, but;
the questions need to be issued randomly otherwise you only need to remember a,b,a,c,b,b,a etc
where are you when you take this test i.e could you be accompanied or a sub. played?

If that's what it is about then it should be face to face and a verbal test or conversation.
John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Tue 23 Nov 10 at 14:24
>> the questions need to be issued randomly

That indeed happens in real test. People sitting on same exam room, get different sets of questions chosen randomly.

The questions are mostly silly. But for those who never read history of UK, local education system, how parliament works etc, some bits were interesting to know.

UK Citizenship Test - Dog
>>Q. You have just arrived in the UK from Can you claim benefits immediately?<<

David Cameron has announced he intends to make it much more difficult to claim benefits.

From next Monday all claim forms will only be printed in English.
"will only be printed in English" but as it is a government form, not English as we know it. Jim.

John
 UK Citizenship Test - Old Navy
>> >>Q. You have just arrived in the UK from Can you claim benefits immediately?<<
>>
>> David Cameron has announced he intends to make it much more difficult to claim benefits.
>>
>> From next Monday all claim forms will only be printed in English.
>>

And will probably provide translators at great expense.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 23 Nov 10 at 16:01
...And will probably provide translators at great expense...

Maybe, maybe not.

At least the political will is now pointing in the right direction.

>> At least the political will is now pointing in the right direction.

I thonk Dog was being ironic. In any event they'd certainly have to be printed in Welsh and probably Scots Gaelic.
...I thonk Dog was being ironic...

Shame, sounded too sensible to be true.

UK driving theory test can be taken in 20 different languages! God knows why it is so!
...UK driving theory test can be taken in 20 different languages! God knows why it is so...

Road signs are in one language.

Apart from far-flung unimportant parts of the realm - good afternoon, PU and Harleyman. :)

UK Citizenship Test - hobby
>> Since when do under 18s not get free prescriptions?
>>

I think it said "18 and under"... 18 yr olds don't get free prescriptions normally!

Zero, I'll send you details of where i want to go!! ;-)
>> Since when do under 18s not get free prescriptions?

Under 16s get free prescriptions. 16-18 year olds get them while in full time education. (According to Direct Gov).
15/24 for me, will they let me back in next time?
>> 15/24 for me, will they let me back in next time?
>>

Not if we have anything to do with it :-)
Walked into that one. :-)
Your a sweaty now ON.
 UK Citizenship Test - AnotherJohnH
another failure:

Questions answered correctly: 17 out of 24 (71%)

and it took 6 minutes to guess/fudge.

If they are really playing multiple choice, there should be points deducted for badly wrong answers... but you'd need some relevant questions first.

When is Christmas, and what does it represent?
What side of the road do people drive on?
What is the unit of currency?

etc
 UK Citizenship Test - MD
Started it, got issed off and left. What in Heavens name did most of the questions have to do with anything pertinent?
Come on, Martin, you've got to be seen to fail the test, like the rest of us.
 UK Citizenship Test - AshT
16/24 - failed.

If the questions represent the UK today I'm not sure I want to be a part of it anyhow.
 UK Citizenship Test - Statistical Outlier
I'm getting a little concerned I'm the only one to have passed. While I can accept it was mere statistical fluke, I'm the one that will get through a set of double, one way, one door locked swing doors on the fourth attempt. This doesn't happen to me...
>> I'm getting a little concerned I'm the only one to have passed.

By statistics, someone has to pass if they answer multiple questions choices on a random basis. I believe it's called a "Statistical Outlier"
:-)
Dont they get deleted as "bad observations"? Watch out SO!

John
When everyone's gone SO with the possible exception of our resident snail - can you turn the lights out ?
It's only a practice test. For those with a desire to learn it could prove useful. I'm going to go through it repeatedly until I get all the right answers, and then I'll apply to take the official test.
Zut alors et sacré bleu.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 24 Nov 10 at 09:36
>>I'm going to go through it repeatedly until I get all the right answers

That's cheating. Back to rural Lincolnshire with you, I say...
>> >>I'm going to go through it repeatedly until I get all the right answers
>>
>> That's cheating. Back to rural Lincolnshire with you, I say...
>>

"Zut alors et sacré bleu." said the snail.

Send him back to the transit camp in France so he can practise his French...says I.. And apply to become a French citizen...
Last edited by: madf on Wed 24 Nov 10 at 09:43
 UK Citizenship Test - Cliff Pope
When I applied for a passport recently I had to sit in a special booth and answer questions by video link. I stumbled on "When is your second daughter's birthday?" and had to admit that I didn't know.
I passed, so that was presumably the right answer, for a man. An imposter would have swotted it up and come out too pat.

I did remember my wife's birthday, but only after a bit of embarrased raking of memory and a shamefaced grin. That too was probably the right response. Mr Memory Man would have been rumbled straight away.
>> Send him back to the transit camp in France ..............

:-D
>>And apply to become a French citizen...

Though he could end up in the soup...
>> >>I'm going to go through it repeatedly until I get all the right answers
>>
>> That's cheating. Back to rural Lincolnshire with you, I say...

That's not cheatin, they calls it lernin in the fens. They aint got nos teachers sees, the last one was burned in a wicker man.
That's how Ireland got into the Euro....

John
Yes - someone gave them multiple choice

yes or no

UK Citizenship Test - Crankcase
"Yes now or yes later, it's up to you", surely.
Latest Forum Posts