Non-motoring > Extreme Weather Photographs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 4

Extreme Weather Photographs - Perky Penguin
Rather than hijack pda's excellent thread I thought I would add this post of pictures taken by a professional stormchaser from Tornado Alley. Scary stuff!

www.extremeinstability.com/imagesbyyear.htm
 Extreme Weather Photographs - Woodster
Stunning images Perky, thanks.
 Extreme Weather Photographs - Pat
Well, I think we've proved that an addition of a gallery would be popular today PP:)

Pat
 Extreme Weather Photographs - diddy1234
if this site had some sort of gallery, that would be handy.
Especially for people with technical questions ?

i.e. This part looks bad, what is it - type of questions ?
 Extreme Weather Photographs - Kevin
Stormchasers are either suicidal or complete nut-cases.

In May '97 a supercell formed over central Texas and spawned at least 5 tornadoes. The worst one wiped out a small town called Jarrell and killed 27 people. It ripped the asphalt from roads and threw cars and pickup trucks hundreds of yards. Livestock was found miles away stripped of any fur or hair. The NWS inspector who helped classify it's strength commented that, on the original Fujita scale, it would have been an F6.

An F3 was heading straight for our apartment when it fortuitously took a right hand turn two to three miles away.

It's scary enough when you're sat inside a closet listening to tiles, gutters and bug screens being ripped off the building. It's genuinely terrifying when you later drive past somewhere that took a direct hit and see that the only thing left of what were once buildings are the concrete foundation slabs.
Latest Forum Posts