Non-motoring > Flat or Threaded? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 44

Flat or Threaded? - Pat
I didn't want to detract from the suggestions coming in on the other thread about the website but I cannot get on with the threaded view at all. I have never found another forum (apart from BR) that uses it so which do you use?

I use flat of course!

Pat
 Flat or Threaded? - Stuartli
Both have their pros and cons, but 99 per cent of the time I also use Flat.
 Flat or Threaded? - Focusless
>> which do you use?

Flat, but threaded does allow you to link to an individual post which you can't do in flat.
 Flat or Threaded? - Iffy
Flat.

Don't understand threaded.

Vx Fan will be along in a minute to explain it (again).

But it'll make no difference.
 Flat or Threaded? - Dog
I'm just thick see, I use this but whether its flat or threaded I haven't got the foggiest.

PS Sunny in Cornwall :-)
>> Flat, but threaded does allow you to link to an individual post which you can't
>> do in flat.

And I do understand threaded, but prefer to be able to see the content of more than one post at a time rather than exactly who replied to who(m?).
 Flat or Threaded? - Tooslow
flat.

John
 Flat or Threaded? - R.P.
Flat. Don't understand why we have threaded - but whatever each user finds friendly. Probably a legacy of the original design.
 Flat or Threaded? - Runfer D'Hills
Definitely flat. I tend to speed read the posts first. If it looks like something which will interest, inform or amuse me, I'll go back and read it more thoroughly. If it doesn't, I just move on. Cuts down on the possibility of being "offended" too if you don't bother to linger on the posts you don't enjoy.
 Flat or Threaded? - Hard Cheese

>> Don't understand why we have threaded - >>

Very useful sometimes to put posts/answers into context, i.e. to see what a post is in answer to.

Flat or Threaded? - Iffy
...to see what a post is in answer to...

The little black carriage return arrow next to the subject header does that.

Flat or Threaded? - Hard Cheese
>>return arrow>>

Though it does not present the thread structure, the history, rather only the directly preceding post.
Last edited by: Cheddar on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 12:23
 Flat or Threaded? - VxFan
>> ...to see what a post is in answer to...
>>
>> The little black carriage return arrow next to the subject header does that.

But that only works correctly if you've replied to the correct post. If you put your reply at the end of the thread but copy/paste a snippet of the post further up, then hovvering your mouse over the black carriage return arrow shows a different post.

99% use flat, btw. Threaded is handy for a moderator when he/she needs to find an individual post to find the ref number to tag another post onto and to also see where in the thread it's placed.
 Flat or Threaded? - Dog
>>99% use flat, btw.<<

Ah ha! ... I'm a flattie :)
 Flat or Threaded? - rtj70
Useful When replying to a post higher up to keep it in context. But careful quoting is another approach as long as quoted text is kept to a minimum.

It all goes wrong when some reply to the right bit and others then start their reply at three end. It used to be essential on the old style ihaq threads. Not sure it is needed the same now.
 Flat or Threaded? - Bellboy
im a regular cookie cleaner so i use both
 Flat or Threaded? - Clk Sec
I haven't the faintest idea which one I use. Works well enough for me, though.
 Flat or Threaded? - Dog
>>I haven't the faintest idea which one I use. Works well enough for me, though.<<

Put this man down as another flattie :)
>> I haven't the faintest idea which one I use.

It tells you at the start of the thread. If it says "view threaded" then you're currently viewing in flat mode. If however it says "view flat" you're viewing in threaded mode.

Another way to tell is that if you can see each and every reply in a thread, then that's flat view.
Thanks, DD.
 Flat or Threaded? - L'escargot
The only time I come across "threaded" is if I do a forum search. The default mode appears to be "flat" which suits me down to the ground. (I'm usually slithering around at ground level anyway!)
>>Put this man down as another flattie :)

I'll take that as a compliment, D.
 Flat or Threaded? - Bromptonaut
Flat. Seems to go to threaded on a search or link from 'latest forum posts' though.
>> Flat. Seems to go to threaded on a search

Correct. It's taken you to the specific post you searched for.

If however you go to the other place and do a search, it brings up the whole thread and you then have to scan through the whole thread to find what you're actually looking for.
 Flat or Threaded? - Stuu
Flat every time.
 Flat or Threaded? - car4play
Flat - 99% of the time.

Though I like threaded because:

1) At the time I felt chuffed to get the threaded view to work - all those little indents and icons! Many other forums don't do this... ;-)

2) it can isolate a particular reply using the URL (e.g. "have you seen post xx by yy")

Joking apart these aren't good enough reasons for keeping it. After all -

1) I could just get over it.
2) we could always put a big red box around a post in flat view to get the same effect.
.. or something like that.
Clicking on a Latest Forum Post presents it to you flat.

P.S. I've only just spotted the up and down arrows on the right!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 23 Nov 10 at 07:32
 Flat or Threaded? - Londoner
I like my forums to be like the Planet Earth, i.e. flat.
 Flat or Threaded? - Fenlander
Flat all the time... no other forum I use offers threaded as a choice.
>> no other forum I use offers threaded as a choice.

I thought forums that use v-bulletin as their platform offered it.
 Flat or Threaded? - Fenlander
>>>>> no other forum I use offers threaded as a choice. >>>>I thought forums that use v-bulletin as their platform offered it.

I'm no expert on forum software... just the user experience. Looked at the 4 I've been on today and there is no option on the front page or in the user menu I could see to go threaded... and that included a VB powered forum. Perhaps they can turn the option off at the website end??
>> there is no option on the front page or in the user menu I could see to go threaded... and that included a VB powered forum.
>> Perhaps they can turn the option off at the website end??

No idea. Just looked at one of the forums I use that uses VB and you can switch to threaded. VB's flat view is called linear mode. You can also switch to hybrid mode which displays threaded view right at the start of the thread, then flat view underneath. Then by clicking on one of the threaded views takes you directly to the post.
 Flat or Threaded? - R.P.
L'es - the arrows have been there a while ! :-) Something the site shares with its estranged brother !
>> L'es - the arrows have been there a while ! :-)

Us gastropods are renowned for being slow!
 Flat or Threaded? - Mapmaker
As I've mentioned before, why does clicking on the bold thread title in "latest forum posts" take you to the threaded view. It's extremely unlikely that there has been only one new post since you last looked.

Secondly, it's pointless, as you can read the entirety of the latest post just by holding the mouse pointer over the box under "latest forum posts" anyway.

Stephen: in my view the bold thread title should take you to the flat view. anybody else agree?
 Flat or Threaded? - FotheringtonTomas
Threaded. I would not use "flat", as it's so hard to see what's going on, and so easy to reply to the "wrong" post and mess things up.

With "threaded" it's easy to see who's replied to what, what's new, and reply to the thing you actually mean to reply to. USENET Newsgroups appear like that too, on most readers.

"Flat" is a horrid hotch-potch of untidiness. Easy enough for short threads, perhaps; also useful as a "Mark Allread" for a particular thread.

Why can't you get on with "threaded view", as a matter of interest?
>> Why can't you get on with "threaded view", as a matter of interest?

Can only read one post at a time.
 Flat or Threaded? - madf
The Flat Earth Society have me as a founder member..
 Flat or Threaded? - Zero
You must be very old then. Or are you the founder member of the reincarnated society as well?
 Flat or Threaded? - RattleandSmoke
This takes me back to days of HIFI forums!
 Flat or Threaded? - madf
>> You must be very old then. Or are you the founder member of the reincarnated
>> society as well?
>>

I am the source of the line in the poem.. "You are old Father madf, the youmg man said.."

And twice as handsome.
 Flat or Threaded? - Mapmaker
>>Why can't you get on with "threaded view", as a matter of interest?

Because a thread of this length I can skim through in maybe 30 seconds if I've never read it before. Using threaded it might take ten minutes. Life's too short. I wouldn't ever read or post to fora if they were in view "threaded".
 Flat or Threaded? - Dave_
I'm with the flatties, for all the reasons outlined above.
Threaded isn't entirely without virtues. Should you so wish it allows you to follow the progress of the thread, and to see exactly who has replied to whom. The latter isn't always obvious from Flat.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 24 Nov 10 at 09:22
 Flat or Threaded? - hawkeye
Flat, as in flat earth, flat tyre, flat to let etc.
Latest Forum Posts