Non-motoring > instrumental interludes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 36

instrumental interludes - -
We've been listening to music thisevening and just finished is the lovely sound of 'Will You' by Hazel O'Connor, the sax solo that forms the latter half of the recording has got to be one of the best ever heard causing goose bumps on your arms, a lovely song in it's own right too.

Any other favourite instrumental solo's/interludes that still have it?
 instrumental interludes - Perky Penguin
Guitar solo in Feargal Sharkey's one hit wonder, A good Love is Hard to Find.
 instrumental interludes - Iffy
Not sure if they are solos, but there are several guitar breaks/riffs that spring to mind.

The twangy bit towards the end of Whole Lotta Love by Led Zep.

Heavy metal guitar intro to the reprise of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band on The Beatles LP of the same name.

George Harrison giving it some beans on Helter Skelter from the White album.

And to move on to an instrumental song, how about Telstar by the Tornados?

I was just a babe in arms when it was released, but I've always found the sound very evocative of a satellite hurtling across the cosmos, heralding a new age.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOIIaGoGqHY
 instrumental interludes - BiggerBadderDave
Tony Peluso died this year, the guy who played the guitar solo in 'Goodbye to Love' by the Carpenters. Because I grew up listening to this tune, I never realised what an odd thing it was to have in the middle of a love song.

I also like Hazel O'Connor's "Will You", and it's a great film, Breaking Glass. There is a 7" version and an extended version with a couple of extra mins of sax solo. The actor who mimed the saxophone solo went on to play Colonel Peron in Evita and he had a bit part in Ronin I seem to remember.
 instrumental interludes - Dog
This has got an instru mental interlude ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=86e1Ukd94EQ
 instrumental interludes - Clk Sec
>>This has got an instru mental interlude

Can't seem to get that link to work...
 instrumental interludes - Dog
>>Can't seem to get that link to work...<<

Works OK for me effendi.
...Can't seem to get that link to work....

Don't worry, the track's garbage - too long with an irrelevant solo slapped in for no good reason.
 instrumental interludes - Manatee
>> Don't worry, the track's garbage - too long with an irrelevant solo slapped in for
>> no good reason.

That's one of the short versions - haven't heard that particular one before, the sound's a bit ropey! The version on 'Elegy' is 10:18...

Not a fan of the Nice then Iffy? Just prompted me to fire up 'Elegy' - I like their version of Dylan's 'My Back Pages' - slightly better quality recording, try the keyboard 'interlude' between about 3:30 and 7:00

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJrHbf-w0xA

Anyway, now I've plugged in my iTunes library I'll have to look for another interlude to nominate...avoiding the prog rock.
...Not a fan of the Nice then Iffy?...

I'm not saying I've got a short attention span, but I sometimes find Love Me Do by The Beatles goes on a bit.

...avoiding the prog rock...

No, go for it, let's have a 15-minute Jerry Garcia guitar solo.
Try this then, Al di Meola (right channel) and Les Paul (left) duet version of "Spanish Eyes"...

vimeo.com/1656778 (video irrelevant, just the best sounding one I could find)
...I like their version of Dylan's 'My Back Pages'...

Just had a listen, 'inoffensive' is about the best thing I can say about it.

I'm not surprised they did long instrumental breaks because the lead singer can't sing in tune.

Looking at the montage video, I see there was a Nice Greatest Hits.

Someone's got a sense of humour.

>>Someone's got a sense of humour.

Philistine.
...Philistine...

I've tried one of yours, perhaps you might like to try one of mine.

It won't take you very long:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=79S5k1pgWZU
 instrumental interludes - Zero
>> ...Philistine...
>>
>> I've tried one of yours, perhaps you might like to try one of mine.
>>
>> It won't take you very long:
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=79S5k1pgWZU

Tuneless distorted decibels.
>> I've tried one of yours, perhaps you might like to try one of mine.
>>
>> It won't take you very long:
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=79S5k1pgWZU

It does have a lot of energy. I must have missed the instrumental interlude!
...I must have missed the instrumental interlude!...

In two minutes there just isn't time.

Wonder what those Nice fellas would make of it?

instrumental interludes - Clk Sec
>>works for me

And for me, now. I've bookmarked it.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 21 Nov 10 at 10:10
When it comes to the sax, I really don't think much comes close to the Alto Sax of Raphael Ravenscroft in Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

You need to find the 6+ minutes version from the the City to City album

Ah

And here it is

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF5dtePX5Jk
 instrumental interludes - R.P.
Poor old Rafferty suffering the ravages of time these days, reportedly pretty ill these days. Part of the soundtrack of my life that one...and wasn't it Bob Holness ? (:-) )
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMnPIXQ5g_A&feature=related

everyone of a certain age should have it as a ring tone
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 21 Nov 10 at 11:50
That was a very good quiz show and had a huge adult following at the time. Cracking theme as well ! Some underlying Beethoven in there...
 instrumental interludes - ....
The Ecstasy of Gold - Some rubbishy 60's Western's made it famous :-(

I've heard it for the last twenty-odd years from this lot:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z57hyZmbE8A

For the sports fans there's always Chelsea Dagger heard the world over.
 instrumental interludes - ....
Almost forgot the use of bagpipes in this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1iR2Wi3u5o
 instrumental interludes - -
Some differing tastes here, as expected.

You'd be hard pressed to allocate the musical choice to the poster though.

Out of all the suggestions the magical guitar playing from 'Goodbye to Love' is one of my all time favourites too.

There's too many to mention but many of my favourites are from Alice Cooper's older albums, the music involved was surprisingly gentle and varied.

Not an instrumental but one of our favourite songs from recent years is 'Class' from the 'Chicago' album....the whole album is worth listening to if you have the time, indeed the film is better than you might think.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHgl762qGso

PS 'Class' could well hit a note here with many of us.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 21 Nov 10 at 21:29
 instrumental interludes - Fenlander
>>>many of my favourites are from Alice Cooper's older albums, the music involved was surprisingly gentle and varied.

Very true GB. Alice Cooper on the surface was a pop/shock/trash act... listen to the early albums and there was some quality writing/performing/production involved.
 instrumental interludes - Woodster
For once I can agree about the sax in Baker Street. How about teh change towards the end of Clapton's 'Layla'? And Jools Holland on the piano at the end of The The's 'Uncertain smile'. You need a half decent stereo to catch the plumminess of the deeper notes.

That's a new non-motoring thread - what's your chopice of hi-fi? And vinyl or CD? I'm using an aged Marantz CD80, Naim Nait and the little Epos speakers. Can't remember their name, ES14's I think.
Purely for space I now have a Teac Reference system, they used to drive a pair of Mission floor standing speakers (which they did remarkably well) - sold the speakers now and they drive the OE speakers - although I may replace them with beefier ones one day. Day to day listening is on BOSE docking stations - one in the bedroom and the other in the kitchen..
...Day to day listening is on BOSE docking stations - one in the bedroom and the other in the kitchen...

Funny you should mention BOSE.

I glanced at the docking stations when buying the AppleMac.

Are they as good as some people say?

Converts reckon a BOSE boombox - albeit one costing £600 - is better than a full-size separates system.

The bog standard docking station has a strong sound - dunno what hi-fi geeks would say but ideal for air-guitaring in the kitchen of an evening. Nice deep mellow sound from a little thing. One won't work with the latest iPOD due to changes in voltages that Zero explained some time ago.
 instrumental interludes - Woodster
I've got a B & W Zeppelin in the kitchen, very good, but in truth not a patch on a full system. If anybody reckons any of the portables are better than a full system then I'd be wondering what they've been listening to. You'd perhaps have to listen to the alternatives to make an informed choice.
...Nice deep mellow sound from a little thing...very good, but in truth not a patch on a full system...

Thanks, common sense tells me your combined opinions are spot on.

I might have a listen to a docking station one day.

Just for a discussion point, has anyone any experience of the BOSE noise cancelling headphones?

I see the full-size ones are nearly £300.

I'm not a headphone user, but it would be fascinating to audition a pair.

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 10:11
I have BOSE headphones - iffy build quality (with a resultant vibe) means they stay on the shelf. I have a pair of foldable Senheisser - less than a quarter of the price - better more practical and good sound. Work well with the iPOD
Talking to a saleguy in a BOSE shop in Boston a couple of years ago he was bemoaning Chinese and Mexican workmanship with their stuff.....a common theme in the US with US badged stuff made abroad...as he said in audio only the Brits, Americans and Japanese can make them properly.
 instrumental interludes - Focusless
There's some great guitar work on a number of tracks on Pat Benatar's Tropico eg. acoustic intro to 'Painted Desert' (keep going until at least 0:45):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jB-9ve5vQA
 instrumental interludes - smokie
See (and hear!) the sax in this Buddy Guy version of Five Long Years. Mindblowing. Oh, and see Buddy take a swig of coffee (?) at 2:40. www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7vLGxzPquk
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 18:29
Ah thanks Smokie - dig out my Buddy Guy CDs now thanks to that.
Latest Forum Posts