Non-motoring > ebay Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bellboy Replies: 32

ebay - Bellboy
I sold a few bits and bobs on the free week listing last weekend,the kind of stuff that i thought would be useful to people rather than collecting dust here at work,anyway one of the articles ive sold ,the bloke has twice said he was going to collect and hasnt turned up, his last message to me was he had lost my address ,anyway in fed up with him and am now going to send the item to china rather than fulfill my sales terms
whats the easiest way to say item now not available due to being run over by a steam roller as i checked it in the light outside and tripped on a wet banana skin
Seriously i dont like the cusp of his wisp and dont want to finalise the what was a done deal,its the principle and i aint interested in the small renumeration it will bring
help please.......
 ebay - R.P.
'as ee paid ?
 ebay - Bellboy
no
 ebay - R.P.
I would suggest telling him you don't want to sell it anymore because of his prevarication. Feedback becomes the only issue then - and you can always respond to that. How long you been waiting for him ?
 ebay - Bellboy
all day tuesday i was at work waiting for him ,he said he was coming am
and all day thursday i waited he never gave a time
interestingly when he first texted me rather than use the internal ebay messaging system i knew there was something wrong so told him i was only available office hours as i suspected he was one of those that phones at 10 oclock at night and expects service
can i not just say a hippo sat on it then and withdraw the article with an apology?
i would pay the ebay fee not bothered about that
 ebay - R.P.
That's another way out of it...!
 ebay - -
The most important thing is to make sure every communication goes through Ebay's messaging, that way in the event of a dispute Ebay have all the evidence and i've found them to be quite good at sorting things out if needed.

Maybe send him a 'contact and collect within 7 days' notification, then when he doesn't turn up just relist it, that way if he tries to give you neg feedback Ebay can look at the messages, see you've been reasonable and amend as appropriate.

I can't stand people who's word means nothing either by the way.
 ebay - Dog
Why not peruse the ebay forum, it musta come up before.
 ebay - Bigtee
Ring him and tell him straight your a man not a mouse!

Then re advertise it and in the description name and shame the plonker with his id name.

E bay nothing but trouble for me latley refunded and the idiot wants me to pay postage for return, go and pfd springs to mind.!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 20 Nov 10 at 20:36
 ebay - Chris S
Is he a Nigerian clergyman who's offered you 10 times the asking price?
 ebay - Fenlander
Just sold a load of different music gear over the past month and only offered collection on the items that were impossible to post.... mainly as collections can get complicated and be far more trouble than it's worth unless the item is £150+.

Bidder earlier this week put their bids in and only then asked how far we were from them. I replied it was 150mls+ and half a lap of the M25. The location was in my listing... don't they read or have a map?

Eventual buyer was from 80mls away and after 2 days mails to say his back is too bad to travel. Alarm bells sounded but in the end a friend collected for him... spot on time too.

In your position Bellboy no need to stress. Tell him he's had his chance, re-list and block him from bidding again. In the vey unlikely event you get a neutral/neg just reply to it as PU says.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 20 Nov 10 at 14:01
 ebay - Tigger
file a 'non paying bidder' against him and let him have some of the pain
 ebay - Bellboy
im going to sleep on it
thanks guys
 ebay - R.P.
It's a bed then !
 ebay - Clk Sec
Slight thread drift here, but I once sold an old banger with no MOT to someone who paid me when he viewed it, saying that he would collect the next day. Never saw him again.
 ebay - Bigtee
I have sold the same jack hammer twice and it's never been picked up and paid twice through pay pal.

And it's still here im going to offer it again.
 ebay - Bellboy
update
ive been a member for 5 years always been a straight guy opened up a missive and said article damaged,within 2 minutes buyer came back said he accepted that and withdrew,then he puts disparaging remark on my 100% ebay record
i go and tell it as it is on his feedback and it comes up as a positive
what a waste of my time
wont be giving people bargains from my stores anymore they will all go to china
not impressed
thanks for all the help but just want to walk away from this sorry affair now
 ebay - R.P.
E-Bay has become quite an unpleasant place these days - on a positive note I sold a BMW Topbox from my GS - it sold for a good sum - however the buyer (from bb's neck of the woods I think) found a known fault on it - there was a telephone discussion the box was returned, money credited etc - positive feedback all round. However it could have been so different with a bad customer. The flipside was that I sold the box to the guy that bought my GS....but I'm more wary these days..
 ebay - borasport
At what point (as a seller) do you normally leave feedback for a buyer ?

What sort of feedback do you leave for a buyer who you had to remind of the need to pay for the goods ?
 ebay - Focusless
>> What sort of feedback do you leave for a buyer who you had to remind
>> of the need to pay for the goods ?

What sort of feedback do they have already? If they have 100% from lots of transactions then you might be kind and view it as a one-off ie. positive, although you could still mention it in the text. Otherwise go for a neutral.
 ebay - R.P.
I left positive feedback for a guy who "forgot" to send an item - I had to remind him but I actually made comment to the delay and reminder in the text - he sent a nasty, spiteful e-mail - what did he expect a retail award ?
 ebay - Bagpuss
I don't think sellers can give negative feedback to buyers on e-Bay any more. They changed this a few years back, unless they've changed it back again. Not sold anything on e-Bay for about 2 years, the stuff I plan to sell is gathering dust in the cellar with a threat from Mrs. B. to do something about it or it goes to charity/ the tip.

I think I've been really lucky with selling in the past. Twice ended up with buyers who didn't read the "pickup only" and in both cases they paid the e-Bay commission and gave me positive feedback before I relisted the items.
 ebay - Focusless
>> Twice ended up with buyers who didn't read the "pickup only"

Happened to me recently - guy in Sheffield bought one of my pick-up only items. I asked him when he was planning on collecting it, and he replied that he'd misread Reading as Rotherham!

Offered to pay postage though so I just sent it anyway (and left positive feedback).
 ebay - Tooslow
"the stuff I plan to sell is gathering dust in the cellar with a threat from Mrs. B. to do something about it or it goes to charity/ the tip."

You could try Freecycle.

John
 ebay - Old Sock
I have been fairly active on eBay for more than 10 years, and I agree it has changed quite considerably in that time.

It has gone from being a wonderful 'global car boot sale' to a much more 'shop front' kind of place.

The fee structure has got progressively worse for small fry like myself - just keen to offload some of life's accumulated detritus.

Buyers 'expectations' have changed accordingly - wanting the same retail assurance as from, say, Amazon.
 ebay - Fenlander
>>>At what point (as a seller) do you normally leave feedback for a buyer ?

As long as they give me OK vibes I give feedback as soon as they've paid and I've posted the item.

>>>What sort of feedback do you leave for a buyer who you had to remind of the need to pay for the goods ?

Only had to do this a few times but usually something like *payment a little slow but all OK in the end*. Just sufficient to alert others that view their feedback.

Not only has the negative feedback option gone for a seller to give a dodgy buyer but ebay warn a negative comment can't be given within a positive feedback.... hence keeping it subtle.
 ebay - Bellboy
Not only has the negative feedback option gone for a seller to give a dodgy buyer but ebay warn a negative comment can't be given within a positive feedback.... hence keeping it subtle.
>>>>>
>>>>>>>> i didnt realise that, but my slagging was so subtle it probably went straight over the head of the bidder anyway so i feel a lot better now

strangely an acquaintance of mine who is a big user of ebay also got a negative in a million sales so he got onto the phone to switzerland or whatever and they have backed him up 100% as the buyer was trying to use distance selling against him and wanting him to collect the item at cost to him,ebay said no way, customer has to return article ,then refund given and if negative feedback given then they will remove it

so its not all bad news
 ebay - Fenlander
>>>so its not all bad news.

Very true.

Ebay is still a massive fast moving marketplace where the private person can get national/international exposure for their goods that 10yrs ago many firms would struggle with without a huge advertising budget.

Just doing some ebay messaging at the moment. Since the summer sold a builders trailer, small boat, outboard motors, band equipment, big tent, mower, engine parts etc.

Pulled in £3k+ for stuff that was just taking up space.

Back in the old days of using local small ads it wouldn't have fetched a fraction of that.
 ebay - R.P.
Sold three motor-bikes, one to Dundee, one to Belgium and one to a guy half a mile away - you genuinely can't get that sort of exposure for the money.
 ebay - Stuu
I still cant believe I sold my sisters car to Malta. Never saw that coming.

Ive sold a gas cooker, Wedgewood stuff, old toys, furtniture, anything of use to someone.
Not only do they come and take it away, but they pay you for the privilege :-)
 ebay - madf
I bought a book on Porsche 911s for £30.
Five years later and out of print I sold it on ebay for £100...

That's the way to do it... I wish I had more..
 ebay - Ted

I bought a Citroen ZX, my SIL had one but the engine went and we thought another would be fine, with the old one for spares.

Found a nice looker in Durham, won it at £280 including tax and ticket.
Contacted seller via email to arrange....no response. Tried phone time and time again....nothing. Tried for a fortnight.
Sent final mail saying I was withdrawing my offer.

He promptly negged me saying ' Do not deal with this man he is a CONMAN ' ......... Eh ?

EMailed me saying ' Me Mam died ' and he couldn't get in touch !
I did wonder how many Mams had died before !

Bought a cheaper one on a Buy it now in Chesterfield.

Ted
 ebay - Bellboy
>> I bought a book on Porsche 911s for £30.
>> Five years later and out of print I sold it on ebay for £100...
>>
>> That's the way to do it... I wish I had more..
>>
>> if i had one i would give it away,but i havent ;-)
Latest Forum Posts