Non-motoring > When playboys ruled...... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: helicopter Replies: 4

When playboys ruled...... - helicopter
Did anybody else watch this programme the other night? I recorded it and watched last night.

It was mainly about James Hunt and Barry Sheene in 1976......both won their respective world championships and both were dramatically un PC ....

In virtually every shot of him from age 15 onwards Barry had a cigarette in one hand .....it was cancer of the oesophagus no doubt caused by the ciggies that killed him at 52... mind you he usually did have a bottle or a bird in the other hand .

James Hunt was also reckoned on the programme to have a cocaine habit , slept with thousands of women and according to Murray Walker could be irritating in the extreme......

I was at Crystal Palace in the early 70's when the Formula 3 final was won by Dave Walkers Lotus, he was being hotly pursued by Hunt in second IIRC . I recall Hunt jumping from from his car and knocking out Dave Morgan ( who had been in third ) in the middle of the track after a last corner incident......

Don't you wish todays drivers and riders had a bit more personality.....

When playboys ruled...... - VxFan
In the middle of watching it. Got to the point where Hunt won the F1 championship in Japan in atrocious conditions. Will try and watch the rest of it over the weekend.

Good viewing though.
 When playboys ruled...... - Pat
We recorded it and watched it last night. We thoroughly enjoyed it and it provoked a lot of discussion.

It's hard to understand why so much has changed and why there are no characters around in the sporting world like those two. Is it the sponsorship deals and the vast amounts of money that suppress a persons natural ability for the world to love them for who they are?

Steve Parrish sat with us for ages at the CV Show last year telling tales of the things Barry Sheene got up to, just for fun, and it was obvious that James Hunt had exactly the same outlook on life.

In stark contrast was Tiger Woods apologising to the world for his indiscretions when of course, he should have been doing that privately to his family and saying sod the world and it's sponsorship deals.

I'm very much a child of the 60's & 70's and the whole thing was still about working hard but that gave you the right to play hard too, without criticism or judgement from anyone.
These days the young ones tend to think they are so open minded and liberated but I think they're only broad minded within much narrower parameters than in those happy years.

On a lighter note there was one special highlight for me:)

I finally got to see Barry Sheenes naked bum on an Xray trolley, now I never thought that would happen when he was a poster on my bedroom wall!

Pat
 When playboys ruled...... - Ian (Cape Town)
>> I finally got to see Barry Sheenes naked bum on an Xray trolley, now I
>> never thought that would happen when he was a poster on my bedroom wall!
>>
>> Pat
>>
I was almost sick when I saw the footage of them hammering that steel pin out of his leg... mole grips (obviously sterilised) and mallet. tap tap tap...
 When playboys ruled...... - R.P.
I was privileged to see Barry Sheene race at Donnington and Oulton Park in the Transatlantic Trophy in '82 (i think) - glad to have been there.
Latest Forum Posts