Non-motoring > Carbon monoxide Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 17

Carbon monoxide - RattleandSmoke
Does anybody know these alarms work. I recenlty bought an electric one as me and mother were feeling ill the other day. Both had a head ache and felt tired. I managed to drive to a job and realised when I was driving I felt perfectly fine.

We have all been fine since then bought I bought a new alarm. All was well until it went off last night after one of our cats walked passed it. There is a peak button which sounds alarm if the alarm went off and of course it went off.

There is two possible sources as we replaced the gas fire with an electric one years ago. The gas cooker and the boiler. Both in the kitchen and have now moved the alarm into the kitchen and it hasn't gone off yet even though it is close to the boiler.

My question is how likely is it to be a false alarm?
 Carbon monoxide - R.P.
Did the cat break wind ?
Last edited by: Pugugly on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 17:29
 Carbon monoxide - Pat
Cats don't break wind, they f***.

Pat
 Carbon monoxide - R.P.
That's what I typed originally but I didn't want to leave it open to interpretation when the swear filter kicked in!
 Carbon monoxide - Pat
I was a bit surprised when I saw it then I thought, you all know me anyway, and after all I'm only rude to mapmaker:)

Pat
 Carbon monoxide - FotheringtonTomas
Was the cat smouldering? If so, it's the incomplete combustion that's setting off your alarm. Increase the supply of oxygen to ensure proper combustion.
 Carbon monoxide - Perky Penguin
Possibly carbon dibackside has set it off! Seriously, one can buy chemical detector buttons which stick on the wall or suitable surface and change colour in the presence of CO>
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 18:20
 Carbon monoxide - RattleandSmoke
Either way it is in the kitchen now about 5 feet away from the boiler there is currently hardly any ventalation in the kitchen as none of the windows open and it is not gone off. I assume it must be to do with the 17 year old cat!

I will check the boiler flew tomorrow just to make sure it is all clear.
 Carbon monoxide - Dog
Have you had your ole broiler serviced this year, its an old one IIRC like my 11 year old jobbie,

Pay particular attn. to where the CO detector instructions say where it should be sited,
but especially where it *should not* be sited.
 Carbon monoxide - Iffy
...I assume it must be to do with the 17 year old cat!...

Sounds like the cat crept in, and crept out again.

That's crept with an 'e', by the way.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6TSS73qZd8
Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 19:23
 Carbon monoxide - John H
>> Was the cat smouldering? If so, it's the incomplete combustion that's setting off your alarm.

Don't get iffy started on inflammable pussies.

Carbon monoxide - Old Navy
>> Don't get iffy started on inflammable pussies.
>>
>>
Fortunately he is busy in the pedant thread, and should only allowed out if he behaves. :-)
 Carbon monoxide - Rhubarb
Don't forget that your gas cooker vents all it's fumes directly into your room and not out of a flue. We have a Kidde alarm with a LCD display on the front, if I take it into our smallish kitchen when say the oven and 3 rings are on it shows <40ppm and sometimes will give a low level alarm if the extractor is not running.
 Carbon monoxide - Kevin
>All was well until it went off last night..

Could it have been affected by gaseous Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Dangerous stuff.

www.dhmo.org/facts.html
 Carbon monoxide - sherlock47
www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Hydrogen Hydroxide - brilliant link!
 Carbon monoxide - CGNorwich
Hydrogen hydroxide is now available in a handy de-hydrated form:

tinyurl.com/35mec5w
 Carbon monoxide - SteelSpark
I had a nasty experience with a CO leak a few years back, luckily the only side effect was headaches and the problem was detected by a luckily timed yearly gas inspection.

If the alarm went off (and you have had those symptoms) spend the money to get the boiler checked. If there is even the smallest chance that it detected a problem that could get worse, get it checked by a professional.

I'll say it again, Rattle, get it checked mate!
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 22:32
 Carbon monoxide - Ted

Probably about time to have the cat put down. Make sure the fur isn't too singed, though, as it will make a very acceptable ' Davy Crockett ' hat for the forthcoming cold weather.

An alternative is to find a matching cat from the neighbourhood to make a very cosy pair of slippers.

Oh, and take the battery out of the alarm....then it won't trouble you again.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts