Non-motoring > Pedant thread Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 145

Pedant thread - Old Navy
Please post here so the rest of us don't have to read it.
 Pedant thread - RattleandSmoke
You don't live in Didsbury, you live in Withington (reference to Richard and Judy and Tony Wilson).

You don't live in Heaton Moor you live in Reddish (reference to a customer who got me lost by trying to give a posher address).

It isn't called a bulb holder it is called a pendant.

Sorry.
 Pedant thread - bathtub tom
Which Tyler?
 Pedant thread - crocks
Ruth Tyler?
 Pedant thread - CGNorwich
Should that not be 'Please post here so that the rest of us don't have to read it.?"
>>
 Pedant thread - sherlock47
>> Should that not be 'Please post here so that the rest of us don't have
>> to read it.?"
>> >>
>>

Should that not be 'Please post here so that the rest of us don't have to read it."?

!!!! should there be something e.g. a comma, after not be ?
 Pedant thread - Suppose
>> Should that not be 'Please post here so that the rest of us don't have
>> to read it.?"
>> >>
>>

Should that not have your ? outside the ", and should the single inverted comma ' not be double inverted commas ", or vice versa?
" "Please post here so that the rest of us don't have to read it."? "
Last edited by: Suppose on Tue 16 Nov 10 at 18:56
 Pedant thread - Ted

Please post here, in order that the rest of us do not have to read it

I thank yew !

Ted
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...Please post here so the rest of us don't have to read it...

Oh dear, I can only take that as a gauntlet being thrown down.

I'm now going to have to redouble my efforts to make pedantry posts in as many threads as I can.

Never mind, I feel I may be up to the task.
 Pedant thread - Tooslow
Keep up the good work. Look what happened to "inflammable" when the barbarians got hold of it.

John
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...Look what happened to "inflammable" when the barbarians got hold of it...

Yes, inflammable is a very good example of how meanings change.

When I was at school in the 1970s, it meant something incapable of catching fire, fire proof, the opposite of flammable.

It now means the same as flammable, something which catches fire easily.

How fascinating is that?

Pedant thread - Tooslow
And it leaves the problem of finding a new word which means "not flammable", which the barbarians will also trample all over in their effort to reduce everyone's vocabulary to less than 1,500 :-(

I could say infer / imply but I might be accused of teasing!

John
 Pedant thread - madf
Pedant is short for pedantophile.. which should mean you all end up being incarcerated...
 Pedant thread - Tooslow
I wonder what "carcerated" means? :-)

John
 Pedant thread - MD
>> I wonder what "carcerated" means? :-)
>>
>> John
>>
It means DON'T drop the 'C'.
 Pedant thread - SteelSpark
>> And it leaves the problem of finding a new word which means "not flammable", which
>> the barbarians will also trample all over in their effort to reduce everyone's vocabulary to
>> less than 1,500 :-(

Good discussion for this thread.

Inflammable has actually always meant "easy to set on fire":

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/inflammable

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammable#Linguistics:_Flammable_vs._inflammable

Now who are the barbarians? :)
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...Now who are the barbarians? :)...

The dummies who post garbage on Wikipedia?
>> ...Now who are the barbarians? :)...
>>
>> The dummies who post garbage on Wikipedia?

At least they know what inflammable means... ;)
 Pedant thread - Suppose
>> The dummies who post garbage on Wikipedia?
>>

I suppose our resident pedant does not like being shown up to be an imperfect pedant.

BTW, iffy, what's the matter with you? Not knowing what a dual carriageway is, and admitting to getting the meaning of "inflammable" wrong as far back as 1970s? Finding it difficult to live up to your infallible image? I think No FM2R got under your skin.

Pedant thread - Iffy
...Not knowing what a dual carriageway is...

Really? If there's no physical barrier between the four or three carriageways, then it is not a dual carriageway for the purposes of the national speed limit.

Put another way, if you can do a U-turn, it's not a dual carriageway.

If you have a problem with that, take it up with the Highways Agency.

...meaning of inflammable...

I've posted the meaning in the 1960s and 70s, several people of my age confirm that was their understanding,

There's also some stuff on the web regarding government worries after the Second World War over labelling chemicals 'inflammable' which might confuse the public.

...BTW Iffy what's the matter with you...got under your skin...

BTW Suppose, why try to make a simple forum discussion personal?

What with dual carriageways, inflammable, and FM2-whatever, it looks like your keeping some kind of score.

Weird.

Pedant thread - Manatee
>>I've posted the meaning in the 1960s and 70s, several people of my age confirm that was their understanding,

I was apparently very young when I learned to read. I didn't always get it quite right though.

I continued to think that Boots was "the disappearing chemist" for a surprisingly long time ;-)

Maybe my 'pedantry' has its roots in the discovery of this error.
"I've posted the meaning in the 1960s and 70s, several people of my age confirm that was their understanding'

I think therein lay the problem. Inflammable always meant capable of being set on fire. However with the growing use of the the synonym flammable, which is the American usage people like your friends wrongly assumed that the inflammable meant the opposite of flammable. It never did.

Pedant thread - Iffy
...However with the growing use of the the synonym flammable, which is the American usage people like your friends wrongly assumed that the inflammable meant the opposite of flammable. It never did...

There could well be something in that.
>> I've posted the meaning in the 1960s and 70s

No you haven't, the meaning has always been the same, it wasn't different in the 60s and 70s, there were just as many people mistaken about things then as there are now.

>> several people of my age confirm that was their understanding

Confirm that they have been wrong for 50 years?

I suppose there are only a few people left who still believe it, the rest having been killed in fire related incidents over the years... :)
>>Really? If there's no physical barrier between the four or three carriageways, then it is not a dual carriageway for the purposes of the national speed limit.

Highway code definition of a dual carriageway:
a road which has a central reservation to seperate the carriageways

No mention of the number of lanes, or physical barrier.

I would have classed this as a dual carriageway even before they fitted the central Armco:
tinyurl.com/3aagz6u
 Pedant thread - Telb

>> it looks like your keeping some kind of score.

Shouldn't that be "you're keeping some kind of score"?
 Pedant thread - Tooslow
Interesting. From "inflame". Well I never knew that. A common mistake apparently as "in" is often used as a prefix to mean the opposite of, errr, the word without the prefix. But, being English, no rule is regular, so beware. Thanks SS.

John
 Pedant thread - Suppose
>> When I was at school in the 1970s, it meant something incapable of catching fire,
>> fire proof, the opposite of flammable.
>>
>> It now means the same as flammable, something which catches fire easily.
>>

Wrong. It has always meant something which catches fire easily. Did your school end up as a bog standard comprehensive?

Pedant thread - Clk Sec
>>Wrong. It has always meant something which catches fire easily.

Quite right. My Chambers dictionary tells me tis 'That may be set on fire'.
 Pedant thread - Manatee
>> ...Look what happened to "inflammable" when the barbarians got hold of it...
>>
>> Yes, inflammable is a very good example of how meanings change.
>>
>> When I was at school in the 1970s, it meant something incapable of catching fire,
>>
>>
>> How fascinating is that?
>>
>>
>>

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that Iffy. Inflammable possibly comes from inflame, or the same root, which does not mean extinguish.

I think you have it the wrong way round - I've seen it used more recently to mean "not combustible" which could be very confusing and dangerous indeed - it has never meant that to me (I started school in the 50s).
The opposite of inflammable is uninflammable. Current usage is flammable and non-flammable
 Pedant thread - Manatee
I have a horrible suspicion that Iffy knew all this when he posted - he was just giving us a workout.
 Pedant thread - Cliff Pope
>> The opposite of inflammable is uninflammable. Current usage is flammable and non-flammable
>>

Actually it is "non-inflammable".
non-flammable an non-inflammable are synonyms.
>> non-flammable an non-inflammable are synonyms.
>>

I agree. I meant the word is non-inflammable, not uninflammable.

"Non" I think means it won't inflame in ordinary use. "Un" means however hard you try, you won't get it to burn.

Pedant thread - hawkeye
>>
>>
>> How fascinating is that?
>>

And a fat chance is exactly the same as a slim chance. When did they become the same?
And a fat chance is exactly the same as a slim chance. When did they become the same?

Don't think they did.

Fat chance, colloquial = no chance whatsoever.

slim chance = a slight possibility
 Pedant thread - Suppose
>> Please post here so the rest of us don't have to read it.
>>

We can be as rude as we like to Old Navy in this thread, as he won't read it. :)

Pedant thread - Old Navy
:-) At least I know where you are.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 16 Nov 10 at 19:02
 Pedant thread - Manatee
I'm very grateful for your considerate thought ON. I have constantly to self-censor in non-pedant threads because there are so many people who are frankly ungrateful for being corrected.
 Pedant thread - AnotherJohnH
>> reduce everyone's vocabulary to less than 1,500 :-(

less?

fewer.

Coat on.... and helmet :)
>> >> reduce everyone's vocabulary to less than 1,500 :-(
>>
>> less?
>>
>> fewer.
>>
>>
>>

Illustrate your answer with reference to the mathematical signs < and >.
 Pedant thread - Tooslow
I thought about that but surely the distinction cuts in at somewhat lower numbers? I've never seen a supermarket checkout for 1,500 items or fewer. Or is there a prescribed number at which it switches? :-)

John
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...Or is there a prescribed number at which it switches? :-)...

No, strictly speaking any number is always fewer, but an unspecified quantity is less.

If I spend £100, I have fewer notes, but less money than I did beforehand.

The supermarket signs often incorrect.

In conversational use, fewer can sound contrived in some contexts, even though it is correct.
 Pedant thread - Suppose
>> :-) At least I know where you are.
>>

Gotcha! I knew you couldn't resist.

Pedant thread - Bromptonaut
Iffy,

The inflammable thing is weird!!. Do you remember the words 'Petroleum Spirit- Highly Inflammable'?

If you were at school in 70s them you and I are in same age group (I was born in 1959). Perhaps it's a regional thing???

IIRC Inflammable = UK English, Flammable = US English.
Like this one?

tinyurl.com/39g5esz

bloomin 'eck that was a big one GC !
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 16 Nov 10 at 22:34
Yeah - thanks for tinying it.
 Pedant thread - swiss tony
You live and learn...
I always believed that there was a subtle difference, seems I was wrong!.

I thought....

Inflammable = will ignite if heated to a certain temperature, no naked flame required.

Flammable = requires a naked flame to ignite.
 Pedant thread - Ted

I always assumed...
Inflammable.....petrol , gas. thinners, etc.
flammable.......coal, paper, wood, etc.
Flannel....pyjamas...flammable !

Ted
>>
>> The inflammable thing is weird!!. Do you remember the words 'Petroleum Spirit- Highly Inflammable'?
>>
>>
>>

I've an old sign in the outside loo saying exactly that, pinched from a garage forecourt some years ago.
 Pedant thread - Kevin
ON,

If you think Ped ants are a nuisance you should experience Fire ants.

Those little devils attack you en masse and then wait for a signal to bite simultaneously. Much like in-laws, once you've got 'em they're very expensive to get rid of.
Last edited by: Kevin on Tue 16 Nov 10 at 23:18
 Pedant thread - L'escargot
Most people say "reiterate". I say "iterate" unless I want to iterate repeatedly, in which case I say "reiterate".
 Pedant thread - Manatee
When somebody says "I'll reiterate..." I have a tendency to butt in with "That'll be three times you've said it then?". Rarely do I get anything but a puzzled look. What's wrong with 'repeat'?
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 07:56
 Pedant thread - R.P.
It doesn't sound "clever" enough. We used to play Bull Bingo in presentations at one time - hellishly not to stand up and shout "House" though
tinyurl.com/334qnld
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...bull bingo...

The England football players' version of the game was song titles in interviews:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C9NxPkyVsU
 Pedant thread - BiggerBadderDave
Neg has a bingo game as part of his Urban Sports series

www.youtube.com/watch?v=facxjcH38TI
 Pedant thread - Tooslow
As the pedants squawked nosiliy around the watering hole, tempted there by the grammatical innacuracies placed there to lure them, the hunters closed quietly in. Armed with nets and tranquiliser darts, the pedants would soon find themselves in zoos and pet shops. Except for the older, tougher ones who would end up in dog meat.

Some of you do take this far too seriously ;-)

John
>> ............ innacuracies ...........

Do you mean inaccuracies?
;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 10:39
 Pedant thread - Tooslow
Indeed. That was bait. In the bag with you!

John
 Pedant thread - Crankcase
How does the panel feel about:

"Myriad of"
"Advanced Warning"
"Licenced to drive"
"He was lead away"
"The data is clear"
"The sauce compliments the ham"
"A list of discreet items"

Pedant thread - John H
advanced or advance?
lead or led?
compliments or complements?
discreet or discrete?

Last edited by: John H on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 11:32
 Pedant thread - Iffy
"Myriad of"

Traditionally, myriad should stand alone.

"There are myriad topics discussed on a web forum."

"Advanced Warning"

Any warning is advanced, so the word advanced or advance - there might be a tense argument here - is superfluous.

"Licenced to drive"

Only the noun has a second 'c'.

"My licence means I am licensed to drive a car."

"He was lead away"

Should be led.

"The data is clear"

Presumably the OP is referring to 'data' being plural.

"The sauce compliments the ham"

A compliment is not something you see much of on C4P - someone saying something nice about you.

'Goes well together' should be 'complements'.

"A list of discreet items"

'Discreet' is not saying too much, separate items are 'discrete', although I would argue all items are discrete, so the word is superfluous.

The simpler phrase: 'a list of items' has the same meaning.

"A compliment is not something you see much of on C4P - someone saying something nice about you."

Iffy, I think you're nice.

Feel better?
>> That was bait. In the bag with you!

Garlic butter, anyone?

:)
 Pedant thread - Clk Sec
>>end up in dog meat.

end up as dog meat.

Come along, now.
 Pedant thread - Tooslow
Another one netted! :-)

John
 Pedant thread - Clk Sec
Another one netted! :-)

Bagged, surely...

:)
 Pedant thread - Tooslow
If you keep wriggling I'll have to use this big, heavy stick. ;-)

John
>> If you keep wriggling I'll have to use this big, heavy stick. ;-)
>>
>> John

If only you had used another adjective. I wanted to see if you employed an Oxford comma.

Pedant thread - Tooslow
Surely that is an American affectation.

Fifteen love, new balls! :-)

John
 Pedant thread - Telb
Can I put in a plea for "railway line"and "railway station" NOT "train line" and "train station"? Horrible Americanisms which are even creeping into the BBC news bulletins now.
>> Can I put in a plea for "railway line"and "railway station" NOT "train line" and
>> "train station"? Horrible Americanisms which are even creeping into the BBC news bulletins now.
>>

It makes me cringe too. It's sad too that all the great history and romance associated with railways and railway stations has been thrown away and there is now a generation who don't understand the peculiarly English emotions associated with "railway".

But then I think, perhaps it does no more than reflect the fact that the "train" companies are now only running trains, not railways. Someone else runs the track, the platforms, the stale sandwich counter, the gas lamps, the ticking clock in the waiting room. And no one flicks a speck of soot out of a lovely lady's eye any more.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 11:49
>>>> Can I put in a plea for "railway line"and "railway station" NOT "train line" and "train station"?

I agree, but would that make a bus station a road station?
 Pedant thread - Telb
I don't know. Here in Dorset, Bournemouth doesn't have a bus station, it has a travel interchange. Excuse me, I think I'm going to be sick....
>> >>>>
>>
>> I agree, but would that make a bus station a road station?
>>

No, because "railway" doesn't just mean the track, which would be the equivalent of road.

To find an equivalent term for an omnibus company and its associated buildings and infrastructure you would need to think in terms of stage coaches, mail, Wells Fargo, coaching inns, postilions, etc. I doubt a single word exists with the same connotations and romance equivalent to "railway".
Can't you guys find some spelling or punctuation issues to debate, rather than getting all misty eyed about railways?

Im off to the green-grocerer's, to pick up a tomato and some other vegetable's...then I'm going to sing Ring a Ring O' Roses...it's about the Black Death you know...and when I get back I want to see some proper debate on important issues! ;)
 Pedant thread - Ted

But generally, only buses use a bus station.
A railway station can be used by something other than a train....ie. A locomotive....which is not a train.

Ted
 Pedant thread - Kevin
If a "train station" is where trains stop and a "bus station" is where buses stop, why do I have a "workstation" on my desk?
 Pedant thread - R.P.
'cos work stops there ?
 Pedant thread - Zero
But it starts again if you have a station.

What you need is a terminal.
 Pedant thread - Kevin
>What you need is a terminal.

I have 3270 emulation. Can I pretend it's a terminal?
 Pedant thread - Zero
>> Can I put in a plea for "railway line"and "railway station" NOT "train line" and
>> "train station"? Horrible Americanisms which are even creeping into the BBC news bulletins now.

No you cant.

You are on an American (.com) not a ".co.uk" site.

The internet was invented by Americans. American English is spoken by 1/3rd of the world, so you had better learn to speak and write American - toutes suite!
 Pedant thread - R.P.
speak and write American - toutes suite! :-)
 Pedant thread - Bagpuss
I got told off by an American colleague on the phone yesterday for referring to "Third World Countries" in a negative fashion. Apparently these days they are "Resource Challenged" countries. I truly admire Americans for their unfailing ability to reach new levels of political correctness.
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...resource challenged...

The editor of a local newspaper once described a council leader in print as: "A calorifically challenged demagogue."

When asked what the phrase meant, the editor said: "A fat prat."

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 14:49
 Pedant thread - Armel Coussine
>> American English is spoken by 1/3rd of the world, so you had better learn to speak and write American

What a crap idea Zeddo. Run-of-the-mill US English is notably clumsier and more roundabout than our version for saying anything at all complicated. You may not have noticed this but I certainly have, and so has Mme Coussine who is a copy editor and often reads out the more hilarious or clottedly incomprehensible phrases when working on American or, God help us, US-English-from-somewhere-else texts.

The other thing about US English is that when its speakers try to be playful or use slang it sounds both pompous and illiterate, like a hamburger advertisement or Mama Grizzly claiming to be a statesperson.

Tchah!
 Pedant thread - R.P.
American English lost any attraction on a damp April Sunday morning in Florida - when the rouged up waitress uttered the unforgettable "Yummylicious".....
I was chatting to someone who's involved with the training of university graduates as teachers.

They found the standard of spelling, punctuation and grammar so poor on many applications, they've drafted a standard letter telling applicants there's no point in applying.
Worst Americanism for me is "At this time".

Suspect heading West at this time.

What's wrong with saying "now"?

And I wish anyone who has ever spoken or typed the word "awesome" would drop dead.

My absolute pet hate may not be an Americanism but it started there - sticking "gate" on the end of any kind of scandalous news topic. That's like fingernails on a blackboard.

Pedant thread - Clk Sec
Quite frustrating at the end of the day, all things being equal.
 Pedant thread - Tooslow
"And I wish anyone who has ever spoken or typed the word "awesome" would drop dead."

And "gutted". Both used, without exception, for some trivial event.

John
All these things change though. There's not many of us left who spontaneously say "groovy" or "far out", even ironically.

And who now still uses all those eighties phrases, such as "blue sky thinking" or "let's run that up the flagpole and see if the cat licks at it" or whatever.

Today's "awesome" is tomorrow's "brutal".

Like.

Pedant thread - R.P.
The flagpole thing was the original Reggie Perrin's satirical take on business talk.
 Pedant thread - Ted

Let me run this past you....kick it around, throw it in the gutter and see what the dog makes of it.

Everything that is now touted as being free is boosted in appeal by being ' Absolutely free ' !
A local supermarket's lady huckster is so irritating at this...shouting it over the loudspeaker system in a horrible nasal twang.

It really grates. I've been banned from complaining by SWMBO after the embarrassing incident with the ' 10 items or less ' sign.

Ted
 Pedant thread - R.P.
add to that when even major commercial enterprises write "for free"
 Pedant thread - Runfer D'Hills
For free? Wicked! Sorry if that was a touch random. Know what I mean?

Business speak glossary...

Budgetary constraints initiative = We're skint, or watch it guys, the con(in)sultants are coming.

Service level deficit = We cocked that up didn't we?

We would not feel able to meet that request at this time = I should cocoa mate / not in this lifetime.

Manage your expectations = No chance chum.

Stock clearance bargains = We're really struggling, make us an offer, we'll probably bite your hand off.
 Pedant thread - Zero

>> Manage your expectations = No chance chum.

You have got that SOOOOOOOOO wrong Humph

It really means.

"Well that's what you thought you bought, it might have hinted at that in the contract flowery bits, but not in the T&C's, so in actual fact this is what we are going to give you and its nothing like you thought you bought"

>> It really means.

What would you know? Nearest you get to a business exchange these days is ordering your elastic waisted beige slacks from the Saturday tabloid classifieds...

Have you started erecting pointless little fences yet? Seems to be the thing to do round here when the days drag and there's no prospect of an imminent trip to the Edinburgh Woolen Mill to choose a new fleece.. Little trellis extensions on top of the existing fence, tastefully Cuprinoled to match the rest.

Pedant thread - Iffy
...Nearest you get to a business exchange these days is ordering your elastic waisted beige slacks from the Saturday tabloid classifieds...

Order a couple of pairs for me, would you?

We can go halfies on the postage.

I prefer lovat or charcoal.
 Pedant thread - Zero
Listen to me you Cheshire Mock Tudor living 2.4 children Mr Average.
At least I don't do "commercial travelling" schlepping my wares around in my glorified rep mobile.

I have uttered more platitudes than you have had hot dinners.

I have earned my life of leisure built upon a lifetime of bullsheet.
Heh heh.....I'm right about the little fences then?

:-))
 Pedant thread - Manatee

>> I've been banned from complaining by SWMBO after the embarrassing incident with
>> the ' 10 items or less ' sign.
>>
>> Ted
>>

Rigid adherence can make you sound, er, pedantic...

"But, officer, I was doing fewer than 50!"
>> American English is spoken by 1/3rd of the world..

I've got a horrible feeling that the English spoken by many of the 1/3rd is seriously mangled.

Try "Singlish", for example.

www.talkingcock.com/html/lexec.php?lexicon=lexicon&op=LexPKL

Pedant thread - Manatee
And why is everything that goes wrong, however trivial, a "nightmare"?
 Pedant thread - correct français - Chas
>> so you had better learn to speak and write American - toutes suite!

Incorrect french. "Toutes" is feminine plural and you missed the "de".

The correct way of saying "straight away" in French is "tout de suite" but is often spoken as "toot sweet" losing the "de".
Last edited by: Chas on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 16:57
 Pedant thread - correct français - Iffy
During an inquest, it became apparent the hospital had messed up, leading indirectly to the death of an elderly woman patient.

The consultant described the treatment she received as 'sub-optimal'.

Pedant thread - correct français - CGNorwich
Great pedants think alike!
"learn to speak and write American - toutes suite!"

Never mind the American let's start with the French. The phrase is ''tout de suite', often incorrectly written as "tout suite" in English although you seem to be pioneering a new variant.
As one of our top pedants, CGN, surely you must have known that Zero's 'toutes suite' was just a garbled version - he types carelessly I'm afraid - of the semi-literary Americanism 'toot sweet'?

(austere pedant's stare with just the hint of smug smirk)
 Pedant thread - R.P.
Hahaha !
Voted "One of our top pedants" by AC. I feel truly honoured
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...I feel truly honoured...

Or as Zero would type (carelessly): i feel truley honored.

Pedant thread - Zero
>> ...I feel truly honoured...
>>
>> Or as Zero would type (carelessly): i feel truley honored.
>>

Go forth and fornicate.
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...and fornicate...

Isn't that the wipe clean stuff of which stylish 1970s dining tables were made?

Pedant thread - Zero
No its an Italian beach resort.
>> I feel truly honoured

As you were intended to be CGN... It's no easy thing, getting away with pedantry even part of the time.
 Pedant thread - Zero
This just proves one thing, Jurassic Park wasn't fiction. Its alive and well in this thread.

I cant wait for the meteorite to wipe you all out again.
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...I cant wait for the meteorite to wipe you all out again...

Before I'm blown to bits, I would like to point out:

...Its alive...

Short form of 'it is', so there should be an apostrophe between the 't' and 's'

...I cant wait...

Short form of 'cannot' so there should be an apostrophe between the 'n' and 't' to denote the missing letters, also needed to distinguish 'can't' from the word 'cant', meaning insincere.

Pedant thread - MD
Iffy, is the vowel correct?
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...Iffy, is the vowel correct?...

Martin,

Took a few minutes, but I think I've got there, so the answer is:

It depends to whom u refer.

I cant say more than that.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 20:30
 Pedant thread - Ted

also needed to distinguish 'can't' from the word 'cant', meaning
>> insincere.

Also superelevation on the train line.

Oh, and there are 2 Ls in woollen...as in Edindurgh Woollen Mill.
Just thought I'd throw that in to irritate our fence building geriatric.

Ted
>>
>>
>>
"Jurassic Park wasn't fiction. Its alive and well in this thread."

I'm no dinosaur. I wear flares and cowboy boots and drive a gas guzzler.
 Pedant thread - Tooslow
There's a word for someone who, in 2010, wears flares, cowboy boots and drives a gas guzzler. And "dinosaur" is a better option. :-)
John
 Pedant thread - Zero
The "big" part is appropriate.
Pedantry now more popular on this forum than homogenised milk.
 Pedant thread - Zero
Combine them, the result will be diarrhoea on a colossal scale.
 Pedant thread - John H
>> diarrhoea
>>

It's spelt "diarrhea" in your preferred American English. :-)
I preferred to spell it dire rear - far more descriptive.
 Pedant thread - Woodster
One of my children thought it was 'dire ear'. And this one has stayed with me - having had Parmesan cheese several times she asked: 'Which bit's the parmers and which bit's the cheese?'
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...One of my children thought...

Would anyone wanting to post oh-so-interesting stories about their children please start another thread to save the rest of us having to read about them.

Evolution of our Language - Perky Penguin
I know that our language evolves and changes and scores of new words are acknowledged by inclusion in the OED, However, useage which annoys me, includes in no particular order

Upcoming. Is this better than forthcoming?
At the top of the hour = on the hour surely?
Schemes are piloted and rolled out. Only things that fly or possibly things that float are piloted. Objects are rolled out, not thoughts and intangible ideas.
Schemes and inquiries are launched - no that is things that float, again.

Of at another Tangent!

Why, when telling us about people in the news, do we really need ot know much more than their name and age. There is stupid trend of telling usethe value of their house "speaking from her £1.5 million home Mrs Coggins said - - - "

Also if anyone has been to a public school do we want to know the annual fees and the translation of the probably Latin motto?
 Evolution of our Language - madf
>> Also if anyone has been to a public school do we want to know the
>> annual fees and the translation of the probably Latin motto?
>>

SOme of us don't NEED a transalation as we can do it ourselves - that is if I can remember my Latin...

Bring back Latin says Bojo... I agree. Many a happy hour sleeping at the back... (I failed )
 Pedant thread - Zero
>> ...One of my children thought...
>>
>> Would anyone wanting to post oh-so-interesting stories about their children please start another thread to
>> save the rest of us having to read about them.

You a Jaffa then Iffy?
>> Pedantry now more popular on this forum than homogenised milk.
>>

:-D
>> >>
>>
>> The internet was invented by Americans.
>>

It was invented by Tim Berners-Lee, who was/is English.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee
 Pedant thread - Zero
Only post in here if your pedantry is good enough.

Tim Berners Lee invented the WORLD WIBE WEB.

NOT the internet. They are not the same. WWW is merely a protocol over the Internet.

Sorry Zero, you are quite right.
I accept my relegation to the Anti-pedant forum thread.
 Pedant thread - Iffy
...I accept my relegation to the Anti-pedant forum thread...

Cliff,

I'm pleased you recognise it is a relegation.

We pedants have rights too, you know.

Just because some of us are not all fluffy and cuddly, it doesn't mean we should be thrown out of the kingdom.

Pedant thread - Woodster
Iffy -No, I won't stop!. You can go elsewhere if you don't want to read. After all, it was linked to the previous 2 posts.
 Pedant thread - VxFan
>> it doesn't mean we should be thrown out of the kingdom.

Shouldn't that be United Kingdom?
 Pedant thread - madf
>> >> it doesn't mean we should be thrown out of the kingdom.
>>
>> Shouldn't that be United Kingdom?
>>

As a pedant, it's the United Queendom..
 Pedant thread - R.P.
And not particularly united either.
 Pedant thread - madf
United by a flow of money...
 Pedant thread - Focusless
Just got an email from a recruitment agency. It starts:

"Hi Focus

Hope your well,"