Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 88

The Beatles are on itunes - Robin O'Reliant
Just so's you know, like.

Now, where did I put those blank CDs?
 The Beatles are on itunes - Tooslow
CDs? How 1980s. :-)

John
 The Beatles are on itunes - R.P.
Buy the originals far cheaper I would imagine or do an Amazon MP3 download.
 The Beatles are on itunes - Fenlander
Why would anyone want to buy The Beatles stuff any more... they only had one good song.
 The Beatles are on itunes - Armel Coussine
>> they only had one good song.

What was that then Fenlander? Yellow Submarine? Why don't we do it in the Road?

To tell the truth I am a little surprised at you considering your catholic musical tastes. The Beatles didn't often really swing like the other lot of old moppets, but they did produce (with a little help from their friends) a lot of very good tunes and some half-decent lyrics. Beatlemania was a bit tiresome but they were better than that.

None of them has done anything good as an individual though.
I was a bit too young for The Beatles first time round and by the time of my formative years their songs had become more Radio 2 fodder (or whatever it was then). My first albums were more Canned Heat, CCS, The Who, Deep Purple, Uriah Heap etc. Looking back to the Beatles I say give me Stones songs/attitude any day.

But I do like Back in the USSR/Dear Prudence if I can count that as one song.

BTW well through your Fela Kuti writings... I read (forgive me if this is a mistake but I think elsewhere) he sent Paul McCartney packing when he tried tio visit in the early Wings era when they were looking for a place to record Band on the Run.

I will mail you with more but amazingly Dad remembers Fela Kuti's compound from passing it frequently when he was there is that very difficult 1976/77 time.... including the day it was viciously attacked by the army.
Ah CCS! One of their tracks was the intro to TOTP iirc? Back when Babs and co. were universally lusted after.

John
>> Ah CCS! One of their tracks was the intro to TOTP iirc? Back when Babs
>> and co. were universally lusted after.
>>
>> John
>>
Wasn't it a cover of Led Zep's Whole Lotta Love?
Well done RR, that's the one www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzQ7MGhgp8

About 28 seconds in.

John
 The Beatles are on itunes - Focusless
>> or do an Amazon MP3 download.

AFAIK they weren't previously available for download from anywhere legally - iTunes are the first to get hold of them. It looks like all the Beatles tracks currently on Amazon are by tribute bands, apart from the odd one or two.
 The Beatles are on itunes - RattleandSmoke
Never really got a lot of the 60's stuff but I do like Simon and Garfunkel the Klinks and T REX and the Bee Gees earlier stuff.

I actually prefer the 1950's to 60's stuff. I am into my rock and punk and I suppose a 60's became more pop than anything else. Most the stuff I listen to is from the 70's and 80's.

Don't get me wrong the Beatles have made some good stuff I just personaly don't rate them in my top 100 bands.
My nephew tweets constantly about the meaning of their various songs - deep analyses - he's wasting his time, the early songs were essentially very simple love songs. They were good especially in the harmonic sense, there has been worse since and considerably better.
Mind you I do have all of their stuff on CD along with tape and some vinyl somewhere so I do actually like them !

Individual Beatles did quite well after the break up I prefer Harrison and Lennon to Macker though.
The whole added up to a lot more than the sum of the parts. Had the band not existed I doubt if any of the four would have been more than minor and long forgotten acts.
I think you're right - mind you they're been ripped onto my iPods for years !
 The Beatles are on itunes - Iffy
I come back to The Beatles again and again - brilliant stuff, nearly all of it.

My last major CDs purchase was the complete remastered back catalogue when it came out earlier this year.

Some commentators were saying at the time it could be the last hurrah for the CD, and I don't think I've bought one since.
 The Beatles are on itunes - rtj70
I agree with PU and prefer Lennon and Harrison to Mcartney.

Rattle only likes the Bee Gees because they lived near where he does now. ;-)
The Bee Gees went downhill when they jumped on the disco bandwagon.

I think the best ex Beatles album was George's "All Things Must Pass".

John
..I think the best ex Beatles album was George's "All Things Must Pass"...

Slightly heavy going.

Of the ones I've heard, Maaca's first effort, just called McCartney I think, stands out.

Maybe I'm Amazed is a tremendous song.

Imagine by John Lennon never really did it for me, although I liked his Rock and Roll album of covers.

The Beatles are on itunes - rtj70
I was surprised to work out/realise a few weeks ago that Lennon was only 40 when he was murdered. Imagine what he might have come up with music wise (not a pun).

I think George Harrison is my favourite of the Beatles.
 The Beatles are on itunes - CGNorwich
Although very much of the Beatles generation most of their music seems now, to my ears anyway, rather simple and of no great merit. The same applies to most sixties music . Strangely the popular music of my parents generation tht I so despised in my teens is i.e. the music of the thirties and forties now seems so much better crafted and was usually played by musicians of real talent. I suspect that in the long term the Beatles will be a mere footnote in musical history. They were more of a social phenomenon that a revolution in music
 The Beatles are on itunes - Zero
Very well put CGN, Agree with you completely.
>> I was surprised to work out/realise a few weeks ago that Lennon was only 40
>> when he was murdered. Imagine what he might have come up with music wise (not
>> a pun).

NOt much, he was a Berk.
 The Beatles are on itunes - BiggerBadderDave
"Imagine what he might have come up with music wise"

I'm a Beatles fan and a John Lennon fan. But for every top tune he wrote, he penned another 10 so bad they were unlistenable.
I still rate George Harrison's Cloud 9 and the Travelling Wilburys - excellent stuff, commercial but happy music.
 The Beatles are on itunes - Dog
Man you've been a stupid boy and let your face grow long.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnpil_pRUiw

***Absolutely*** A Band of the First Magnitude (IMHO)
My Dad had the Red album and I played it a lot as a youth. Love disc 1 with its simple melodies, harmonies and almost raw production; not so fussed about disc 2.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962%E2%80%931966#Track_listing
 The Beatles are on itunes - Bellboy
Beetles= the only group to put singing on one side of your speakers and the instruments on the other ,result=pisch
members=john=grow up
george=nice guy misunderstood
paul=gob well shut,i dont want a supeano
ringo=never worked him out
best member was old man steptoe i can see him now getting out of the stretched limo with his signed autographs
You need Help ! :-)

George was the most sensible of the lot - and a good musician as well - was he the southpaw ?
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 16 Nov 10 at 22:17
>> You need Help ! :-)
>>
>> George was the most sensible of the lot - and a good musician as well
>> - was he the southpaw ?
>>
George hits a sad note with me,he sang about photograph the time my father died and i dont have any photographs :-(
Funny things songs BB
Macca is the lefthander.

The fret of his guitar is always pointing the other way to the other two's in the pics.

OK, pedant mode on, I should say bass guitar.

The Beatles are on itunes - BiggerBadderDave
"The fret of his guitar is always pointing the other way"

You mean the neck of the guitar which contains the fret board and frets.
Don't fret abou tit me ole son.
...You mean the neck of the guitar which contains the fret board and frets...

Yeah, I mean the stick bit which he holds with his right hand while plucking the strings with his left:

tinyurl.com/33qzhwq
 The Beatles are on itunes - Armel Coussine
I can hardly believe this thread. First people disparage the Beatles' (really very decent) work as a new sort of pop group. Then gradually, and rather strangely considering most of them (of you) are well past your teenage years, you start retailing teenage girl's magazine carp about the personalities and individual quirks and talents of each individual moppet from the fab four.

Who gives a toss now? It's all done and dusted. You wanna talk that kind of talk, talk it about Lady Gaga or little Lily Allen (who I seem to remember came to Carnival in our house when she was about four).

Come on chaps! What about their wardrobes and love lives? Get warmed up for Ms Middleton and that blond chap she says she's marrying. You need the exercise because it's going to make a lot of demands on your stamina.
Is someone getting marrried? I'm afraid I skipped the first 14 pages of the paper today.

John
I don't think we're being cool/hip/down there John
Ah well that's me I guess. I'm just taking a run at a "bah humbug" approach to the whole "pull and keep souvenir edition with free mug" thing. Best of, to the couple, but in we're in for months of media fawning. Daily Mail will be in it's element.

John
>>>we're in for months of media fawning. Daily Mail will be in it's element.

I will be checking the Daily Fail online every morning to get *the latest*.

I quite like Lily Allen, musically speaking, and I quite likePJ Harvey + Tori Amos,

Unusual for me really because I'm strictly prog rock actually ~ Pink, Purple, Black, Crimson etc.,

I even have a Tori Amos CD in my car ... how weird can ya get :)
 The Beatles are on itunes - corax
>> I quite like Lily Allen, musically speaking, and I quite likePJ Harvey + Tori Amos,
>>
>> Unusual for me really because I'm strictly prog rock actually ~ Pink, Purple, Black, Crimson
>> etc.,
>>
>> I even have a Tori Amos CD in my car ... how weird can ya
>> get : )

PJ Harvey is modern but one of her influences is Captain Beefheart. You're hearing music from older influences being constantly recycled with a few of their own new twists added. I don't understand how people can only listen to the old bands, great as they are. At some point they're going to run out of tracks to listen to, then they can only listen to constant repeats. I would find that really stifling. Don't get me wrong, I like the old stuff, but I don't necessarily play it to death, I only have to look at the CD titles or the record spines on the shelf to remind me of the buzz I get from listening to them.

There are so many great bands out there, it's only chance that you happen upon some of the more obscure ones, but they could possibly be the best thing you've ever heard. That's why I was sad to hear John Peel had died, as my ears were opened to old sorts of weird and wonderful stuff through his show's. I'm glad that 6music didn't get the chop, it kind of carries on where his shows left off.
 The Beatles are on itunes - spamcan61
>> >> I quite like Lily Allen, musically speaking, and I quite likePJ Harvey + Tori
>> Amos,
>> >>
Quite like Lily Allen, musically and aesthetically, I'd like to like PJ but she's too intense for me, ditto Tori.

>> >> Unusual for me really because I'm strictly prog rock actually ~ Pink, Purple, Black,
>> Crimson etc.
>> >>
I discovered a Russian web radio station yesterday that seems to play nothing but Pink Floyd, I rather like them but I think that's taking it a bit far.

>> >> I even have a Tori Amos CD in my car ... how weird can
>> ya
>> >> get : )
>>
I'd be driving off the road deliberately after 3 tracks...

>> PJ Harvey is modern but one of her influences is Captain Beefheart. You're hearing music
>> from older influences being constantly recycled with a few of their >>own new twists added.
Yeah I think that pretty much sums it up.

>>
>> There are so many great bands out there, it's only chance that you happen upon
>> some of the more obscure ones, but they could possibly be the best thing you've
>> ever heard.
>>
Agreed, when music was a big part (OK 100%) of my social life I saw lots and lots of little bands and a few big ones. Sometimes you have to sift through a lot of dirt to find the diamonds though :-/.
Only saw one band go from being a little band in my local pub to Wembley Arena ( Marillion)

>> I discovered a Russian web radio station yesterday that seems to play nothing but Pink
>> Floyd, I rather like them but I think that's taking it a bit far.

The test of good music is the test of time. Pink Floyd has aged so badly, Led Zeppelin hasn't for example.
...Pink Floyd has aged so badly...

A lot of their stuff has not aged at all.

It was self-indulgent navel-gazing claptrap then and still is today.

>>Pink Floyd has aged so badly<<

50% of the original band are brown bread.
>>
>> >> I discovered a Russian web radio station yesterday that seems to play nothing but
>> Pink
>> >> Floyd, I rather like them but I think that's taking it a bit far.
>>
>> The test of good music is the test of time. Pink Floyd has aged so
>> badly, Led Zeppelin hasn't for example.
>>
I tend to agree, being a bigger Zep fan than Floyd, although I'd say the Syd era has aged much more than their later work.
I was more Zep than Floyd too back then but in recent years have found Floyd worth picking up on again.

Here is part of Floyd with an old Syd song... delivered by the Jean Genie.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJuCo5M05bU
>>Here is part of Floyd with an old Syd song<<

Some good shots of Rick there but I reckon Syd would turn in his grave if he heard that din.
>>>reckon Syd would turn in his grave if he heard that din.

How so? The original album track has a pretty similar full sound.
>>How so? The original album track has a pretty similar full sound<<

Sorry Fenlander, no offence intended, its just that Pink Floyd are akin to the breath of life to me,
and have been since Pipers.

Ahh understood.

BTW Cambridge is quite near to us and I remember it seeming odd when the local auction offered his household posessions. Often hand made or re-painted furniture. Don't know what it fetched but there was huge local interest to *get a bit of Syd*.

The catalogue is still online...

www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/11121/page1
>>The catalogue is still online...<<

Amazing what some people will buy to get 'a piece of Syd',
some of his paintings and the remainder of his library are of interest though.
 The Beatles are on itunes - swiss tony
>> >>The catalogue is still online...<<
>>
>> Amazing what some people will buy........

Knowt to do with Syd, but I think this may be of interest... www.propstore.com
Last edited by: swiss tony on Fri 19 Nov 10 at 20:11
>>Knowt to do with Syd, but I think this may be of interest... www.propstore.com<<

Interesting site, this would look great on my desk ~

www.propstore.com/product-Scalped-Background-Head.htm
I can am fairly rigid when it comes to music, which is a failing, I know, my young friend (22) introduces me to some of 'the latest stuff', in fact if it wasn't for him I'd never have come across PJ Harvey & Tori Amos,

I genuinely believe that the sixties were an amazing era for music, so creative and so unlike anything since, but then if I was born earlier or later then I realise I'd have been 'into' Rock and Roll or Punk, House, Garage or some such.

I do play the guitar (Strat) and have a very good ear for music, there are times even now when I hear something on 'the wireless' that I have to stop what I'm doing and listen to intently, so ... there's hope for the old Dog yet!
I used to listen to the late John Martyn on 'The old grey whistle test' many moons ago and thought he was most unusual and had a unique sound, which I liked, not to everyone's taste tho.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi_wxypeGc&feature=fvw
 The Beatles are on itunes - Runfer D'Hills
I was listening to "Solid Air" only this afternoon Dog.
...I was listening to "Solid Air" only this afternoon Dog...

No wonder your employers want you living in London and working in the office. :)

The Beatles are on itunes - Runfer D'Hills
I was working! Always have music on too though.

:-)
One of the comments on youtube Re: Solid Air ~

if he hadn't smoked so much weed and fought in so many pub brawls and smoked tobacco and made love so often. But do you know what, it's not a shame; there's no shame in producing so much beauty in such a short life. He lived his life and died with a smile.

He was 60 when he died.
 The Beatles are on itunes - PhilW
Talking of the Beatles , I aways liked that comment from John Lennon when he was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world:-
"He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles!"
Went to see the Beatles 3 times in the mid '60s - never heard a word for girls screaming.
In my old age I find myself increasingly drawn to the blues of people like Buddy Guy, BB King, Buddy Guy, the Vaughan brothers and Eric Clapton (when he does blues, not commercial pap)
Some very good stuff of his Blues Festivals on youtube.
For a great bit of BB King (and Gary Moore) have a look at this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueaANdi5em4&feature=related
...Talking of the Beatles...

Anyone notice how many 'views' their songs have on YouTube?

Millions and millions.

They must still be one of the biggest bands in the world, year on year.

>On youtube They must still be one of the biggest bands in the world, year on year.

Not even close.

1. Justin Bieber - Baby ft. Ludacris; 374,403,983 views
2. Lady Gaga - Bad Romance; 301,052,815 views
3. Shakira - Waka Waka(This Time for Africa); 226,529,099 views
4. Eminem - Love The Way You Lie ft. Rihanna; 183,917,654 views
5. Miley Cyrus - Party In The U.S.A. - Official Music Video; 169,259,597 views
6. Evolution of Dance; 155,656,701 views
7. Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho); 149,693,727 views
8. Eminem - Not Afraid; 141,438,781 views
...Not even close...

The test will be if those songs are getting millions of hits in 40+ years' time.

They might be, but none of us will likely be around to find out.

The Beatles are on itunes - CGNorwich
1. Justin Bieber - Baby ft. Ludacris; 374,403,983 views
2. Lady Gaga - Bad Romance; 301,052,815 views
3. Shakira - Waka Waka(This Time for Africa); 226,529,099 views

Susan Boyle I dreamed a dream 53,892,451 views yes 53 MILLION!
 The Beatles are on itunes - Bagpuss
Well apparently the Beatles are topping the download charts over at iTunes. I find it difficult to understand why, I would have thought that anyone who likes such a monotonous and repetitive dirge would already have it several times over on vinyl and/or CD. I don't like them or any other sixties music, I guess you had to have lived through it. Actually, having been born in Liverpool I find the fact that Speke Airport was renamed John Lennon Airport somehow embarassing for the city.

I also struggle with 70s stuff, even though I was listening to it at the time. Led Zeppelin is just about tolerable, I've got Physical Graffiti on the iPod, but having downloaded Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here I found Pink Floyd completely unlistenable. Late 70s/ early 80s and the advent of the likes of The Cure and REM make things more interesting.
...a monotonous and repetitive dirge...

The Beatles?

Never.

Calm down Iffy, the game's all about opinions.
>> ...a monotonous and repetitive dirge...
>>
>> The Beatles?

Yes them. Desperately over hyped kiddies tunes.
>> I used to listen to the late John Martyn on 'The old grey whistle test'
>> many moons ago and thought he was most unusual and had a unique sound, which
>> I liked, not to everyone's taste tho.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi_wxypeGc&feature=fvw

The old grey whistle test with whispering Bob Harris. While I was watching that video I noticed there was a special on Sandy Denny on the same web page. Now there's a fantastic singer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=guFZkLxYM60&feature=related
>>Sandy Denny on the same web page. Now there's a fantastic singer<<

Wow! What a voice, I was listening to this on Saturday, quite sad really - she fell downstairs on a visit to Cornwall and died from a brain haemorrhage soon afterwards.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8&feature=related (who knows where the time goes!)
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Thu 18 Nov 10 at 19:53
>> Man you've been a stupid boy and let your face grow long.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnpil_pRUiw
>>
>> ***Absolutely*** A Band of the First Magnitude (IMHO)
>>
Rather odd bass Paul is playing there, looks like a proper left handed Rickenbacker, but the neck and headstock is from a right handed one.
 The Beatles are on itunes - Crankcase
In a desperate attempt to become part in some small way of the seething mass of humanity, which has so far eluded me, I've taken to sticking two random words into Spotify and playing whatever comes up.

99% is horrid but so far I've discovered Mattias Barjed, Songs to Wear Pants To, Ane Brun and Birgit Lokke all to be to my taste, in parts.

Truly you can find anything on the internet.
Bagpus is right when he says you had to live through the sixties to really appreciate The Beatles. They simply moved the goalposts, and as for being repetitive that isn't true. If you look at the way their music developed from simple stuff like She Loves You through to the latter years they experimented with their sounds more than any other musicians I can think of, and that was in a very short space of time.

Most artists try to write hits, which means keeping to a known formula. The Beatles wrote what they wanted, often to the horror of their record company (who thought Sgt Pepper would bomb).
>> Bagpus is right when he says you had to live through the sixties to really
>> appreciate The Beatles.

Don't think so - I was only born in 1964 and really like their early stuff (as well as lots of other non-Beatles stuff from all decades since).
Pandora was a great way of finding new music but sadly no longer available in Britain.

John
Funnily enough I found detailed instructions this afternoon on how to access Pandora from an UK IP address..
Use a proxy?
>> Use a proxy?
>>
>> thats all i can find
and you're keeping it to yourself? And there was me thinking of you as the kindly old gent type of guy.... :-)

John
>> and you're keeping it to yourself? And there was me thinking of you as the
>> kindly old gent type of guy.... :-)
>>
>>
>> John

Please expand PU! Pandora was great while it was available. They're supposed to be getting a license to operate here, but how long does it take?
Less of the old ! - I'll copy the instructions across shortly - it's in a magazine so electronic cut and paste won't work !
>> Less of the old ! - I'll copy the instructions across shortly - it's in
>> a magazine so electronic cut and paste won't work !

Ahh you're a good 'lad' PU (just to counter Tooslow's remark). I'm hoping flattery will get me everywhere.
Last edited by: corax on Fri 19 Nov 10 at 18:10
Oi, my remark was flattery! :-)

John
You could of course google "how to access pandora from the uk" and use any of the 2,400,000 hits that all tell you how to access pandora from the uk.
You're just no fun Z. I did. The solution I found uses a proxy, as you predicted. It wanted me to register with Brightonfun.com or some such website. I thought twice about that!

John
OK I've tried using a few proxy's but I can't get them to work. I'm not savvy enough with computers. Besides I don't want another virus, the last one I got went through my internet security and I ended up doing a complete system restore. I'll leave Pandora to the experts :-)
>>Rather odd bass Paul is playing there, looks like a proper left handed Rickenbacker, but the neck and headstock is from a right handed one.<<

You must 'know your stuff' to have twigged that, now if it had been a Fender Stratocaster I may have noticed.
Latest Forum Posts