Non-motoring > Trip to Venice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 7

Trip to Venice - Perky Penguin
Just got back from a very pleasant break to Venice for my partner's 7?th birthday. The weather was excellent, warm and some sun and no rain. Saved money by staying on the mainland (across the causeway) in a town called Mestre. Public transport is excellent and a travel card @ 33 Euros gives 3 days travel on buses and the water buses/vaporettos. In Venice any food and drink is pretty pricey and it was crowded in November so the Summer must be really fraught! 3 nights B&B and BA flights out of Gatwick £330. If anybody wants further info please contact me thru e mail (see profile)
 Trip to Venice - Bellboy
did you get accosted by the bag sellers?
i nearly got lost as i followed someone down a lot of snickets and he then went into a house
didnt have a clue where i was so had to fumble my way back to civilisation
 Trip to Venice - Perky Penguin
No problems with bag sellers; lines and lines of stalls all selling exactly the same stuff - little masks, pashminas and scarves and presumably all at the same prices, I can't imagine how they make a living! BTW if you are a certain age take your passport with you on days out; it gets you free admission to some museums or at least a discount.
 Trip to Venice - Bagpuss
Went to Venice at the beginning of April 2008. Fabulous weather but incredibly crowded, the cliched Japanese tourists being supplemented largely by Russians who at least can afford the room rates there.

We did it the expensive way, overnight train from Munich with a sleeping compartment (and shower) and then hotel in the middle of town about 15 minutes walk from Saint Mark's Basilica, assuming you walk the right way. My wife was amazed that absolutely noone there seemed to do any work.
 Trip to Venice - Zero
The way to arrive in Venice is by train. Preferable the VSOE, but any old wagon will do.

Trip to Venice - Bagpuss
>> The way to arrive in Venice is by train. Preferable the VSOE, but any old wagon will do.

Didn't arrive by Orient Express unfortunately, just one of Deutsche Bahn's finest. No wood and leather in the cabin, but it was a tribute to the science of ergonomics and tasteful design all the same. Oh, and a waiter to bring us wine in the evening and breakfast in the morning.

One of the nicest things about the overnight train to Venice was rumbling slowly over the causeway towards the island with the sun rising over the bay.
 Trip to Venice - Zero
Nicole was bowled over by exiting the station straight onto the Grand Canal and onto a vaporetto to our hotel.
 Trip to Venice - R.P.
It is special though - very special.
Latest Forum Posts