Non-motoring > Hearth rug. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 27

Hearth rug. - FotheringtonTomas
Where can I buy a hearth rug, preferably fibreglass, in the UK?
 Hearth rug. - MD
?
 Hearth rug. - CGNorwich
Strange - they are common in US/Canada but there seem to be no UK suppliers, at least on line.
Importing the things would probBLY BE EXPENSIVE.
"fIREPROOF". sTOPS oops capslock great 'oles being burned into yore carpet/floor.
 Hearth rug. - Harleyman
I think they're all fireproof to a degree now; I'd have a look at the label under ours but unfortunately there are currently two cats parked on it, and shifting them is a chore.

Bought mine from the local market.
 Hearth rug. - Zero

>> Bought mine from the local market.

Both Cats?
 Hearth rug. - Harleyman

>> Both Cats?
>>

Yes, got more than I bargained for.

It was a flea market.
 Hearth rug. - L'escargot
I googled for "fibreglass hearth rug" and found lots of references.
 Hearth rug. - Cliff Pope
But stamping out the sparks before the rug has smouldered too much is one of the joys of having an open fire. You'll be wanting a fireguard next. :)
 Hearth rug. - Iffy
If the OP's burning smokeless fuel there shouldn't be any sparks.

Presumably, he's in a rural area in which it is still legal to burn wood on an open fire.

We used to do that at the farm - lots of free fuel in the wake of Dutch elm disease.

It didn't matter how big a hearth rug we used, an ember or two would always clear it.

Hearth rug. - Zero
Floorboards need burn holes in them. Its called character.
 Hearth rug. - Mike Hannon
Bits of chestnut from our log burner will shoot right across the room - all part of the fun...
It's "still legal" to burn "wood" or any other fuel in the great majority of the UK.

I still can't find a fibreglass rug, though.
 Hearth rug. - Iffy
...It's "still legal" to burn "wood" or any other fuel in the great majority of the UK...

Most of the major towns and cities are smoke control areas, so it's not legal for the majority of the population to burn wood on an open fire.

Parts of the rural counties have smoke control areas, although some are still 'burn what you like'.

smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/locations.php?map_name=neeng

Iffy Towers is in a smoke control area.

I was told there is a 30-minute 'lighting up' allowance to burn wood, after that it has to be smokeless.

A contact of mine in the town hall told me they get quite a few reports of illegal wood burning, usually from jealous neighbours.

He also said the 'crime' is quite difficult to detect in the dark because they need a clear view of the smoke prosecute.
>> I googled for "fibreglass hearth rug" and found lots of references.

Which ones in the UK, please?
 Hearth rug. - Zero
>> >> I googled for "fibreglass hearth rug" and found lots of references.
>>
>> Which ones in the UK, please?

I googled that exact phrase as well, and found lots of references. None of them were people selling them in the UK tho.
 Hearth rug. - Fenlander
A dense wool rug with a *busy* pattern seems to do the trick for open fire households in our family. Change when the burn mark's effect on the pattern offends.

We went for a wood burning stove 16yrs ago... no burn marks any more and better in every other respect too.
 Hearth rug. - Zero
In the absence of anything else, a wood burning stove is fabulous.

Nothing looks, feels or smells like a real open log fire tho.
 Hearth rug. - Fenlander
>>>Nothing looks, feels or smells like a real open log fire tho.

Agreed.

For us as a busy family the current stove is perfect... for example if you need to leave the room or go out after it's been lit. Also let it go out on Sunday night and no need to clean it until the next time it's used as there's no dust and nothing untidy to see.
 Hearth rug. - Tooslow
Get rid of the open fire and put in a stove. Problem solved plus more control and more heat from less fuel.

John
 Hearth rug. - Harleyman
What John said. We have two log-burners; I replaced the clapped-out old Parkray multi-fuel in our living room with a Villager stove, and the one in the parlour is a villainous-looking home-made job installed by the previous owner which is surprisingly efficient. Mrs. H is asthmatic, so an open fire wouldn't work for us.

Other plusses include; no risk of falling embers when you're not in the room, easier to clean, and you can, with the right wood and a bit of practice, keep it in all night.

It does help if you've got an easy and cheap source of wood; log-burners have become very popular, largely I think due to them being featured on all those home renovation programmes, and consequently the price of cut firewood has gone up rapidly in recent years. I'm fortunate to have a ready supply from local farmers, many of whom are grateful for someone to cut back overhanging branches in return for the wood; it justifies my keeping my old pick-up truck too!

Do bear in mind, though, that if you go for a stove it now has to be fitted by a qualified person.
 Hearth rug. - Mapmaker
A decent modern log burner may be used in a smokeless zone anyway.
Yup (burning suitably dry fuel).
Yes, I know about "stoves", thank you.
 Hearth rug. - Harleyman
I'm curious; why fibreglass? I'd have thought it would be even more combustible than a wool mat or similar; having seen a Reliant Regal catch fire years ago I can vouch that fibreglass isn't fireproof, at least not in that form!
 Hearth rug. - Mapmaker
>> I'm curious; why fibreglass? I'd have thought it would be even more combustible than a
>> wool mat or similar; having seen a Reliant Regal catch fire years ago I can
>> vouch that fibreglass isn't fireproof, at least not in that form!

Glass is made from Silica Dioxide. It cannot oxidise further - it is not flammable.

The RR was presumably made from fibreglass reinforced plastic - so it was presumably the plastic burning, not the fibreglass.
 Hearth rug. - Harleyman
Yes, of course, GRP. Thanks.
Latest Forum Posts