Non-motoring > Confession Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 18

Confession - Fullchat
I need to cleanse my soul.

I'm deeply deeply sorry.

I have been to the dark side looking for a left foot braking post.

I found none but ending up posting on a parking thread. I don't know what came over me.

I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

Confession - Tooslow
I always thought "That F, sensitive kind of chap if ever I saw one". Go in peace ;-)

John
 Confession - MD
have 3 bloody Mary's my Son and yer orf the 'ook!
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 00:51
 Confession - Zero
Is it still a hanging offence?
 Confession - MD
It was only the site that hung
 Confession - madf
Nothing so wrong that fifty turns on the rack with your left foot in a Spanish Boot. will not cure..

That should stop you left foot braking..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_(torture)?oldid=0#Spanish_boot
Last edited by: madf on Sun 14 Nov 10 at 19:51
 Confession - Fullchat
madf - that pales into insignificance.

I've been punished. My trip across brought with it an automatic advertisement page.

I'd forgotten about those.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 14 Nov 10 at 19:59
 Confession - MD
Nice.!!!!
 Confession - Fullchat
Martin, bet you could think of a few candidates for one of those ;-)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 14 Nov 10 at 20:01
 Confession - MD
Not recently to be fair. Sounds nasty doesn't it. Who thinks of these things? Mind you..............Mother-in-Laws cooking..........................
 Confession - Dave
I must admit, I replied to a post about winter tyres. There seems to be so much mis-information about then, I felt I had to.

It seems that Andy Bairstow is the self-proclaimed expert on everything, especially winter tyres.
 Confession - -
Bairstow is the self-proclaimed expert on everything, especially winter tyres.
>>

I post now and again too, as soon as that name comes up the thread is closed for me.
 Confession - hobby
Who?

I'll have to go and have a look now...
 Confession - Fullchat
Don't do i............................................
 Confession - Armel Coussine
Fullchat: HJ's kind of left foot braking is designed for smooth, safe progress with a powerful automatic-transmission car.

Your sort, and mine probably, is more to do with unsticking the back end of a front-drive car, isn't it?

You know, you lay the thing on its doorhandles and it's still understeering off the road sort of thing? A heavy tromp, properly timed, on loud pedal and brake at the same time will bring the tail round all a-tanto, sweet as a nut sort of thing so to speak, wouldn't you say?

Anyway that's my take on lfb for the time being...
 Confession - Fullchat
Reducing understeer into a corner

The theory here is that you can feather the brakes into a corner (trail braking), while transitioning to progressive throttle at the apex. This can lead to a very smooth transition between braking and acceleration and is less likely to unsettle the car through unwanted weight transfer. It also keeps the weight at the front of the vehicle for as long as possible, thus providing more grip, a better turn in and reduces the possibility of understeer.

Reducing drive loss through spinning wheels

This technique is particularly useful for a front wheel drive car without a limited slip differential. On the exit of the corner, it is a common symptom for one the unladen front wheel to spin while applying throttle. This spinning wheel is preventing all of the power from transferring to the road and thus slowing the exit speed. By feathering the brake with the left foot, this can prevent or reduce this wheelspin, and get a better exit.

Removing the pedal transfer time between accelerator and brake

Using the left foot to brake removes the pedal transition time from brake to accelerator and vice versa. This can shave fractions of a second off a lap time when done well, but cannot be used when it is necessary to change down a gear (unless you decide not to use the clutch!)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMEqOGejlrw (As explained by Colin McRea)

Common mistake when learning to left foot brake

Left foot braking is an advanced technique, and should only be attempted in anger after lots of practice. When learning to left foot brake, you'll initially press the pedal far too hard as you'll be used to the action of pressing a clutch all the way to the floor. It takes time to re-programme the 'muscle memory' of your foot and leg, and a bit of empty tarmac is highly recommended.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 15 Nov 10 at 00:52
 Confession - Armel Coussine
>> should only be attempted in anger after lots of practice

Heh heh Fc... you've obviously tried it then...

Confession - Fullchat
You can see me in action in this clip:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbU4GZkt7ig&NR=1

I wish :-)
 Confession - Tooslow
Brilliant. Did you notice the foot on the accelerator? To dab that fast there'll have to be stuff all fly-wheel effect. The average shopping trolley wouldn't have had the revs die away from the first dab before the third came in, never mind the second.

There was a roundabout on the way into work, my exit opened onto a dual carriageway, open, good visibility, a bit of a dip followed by a gentle uphill gradient. If the TC light didn't come on I wasn't trying hard enough :-)

I used to enjoy going into work And coming home. The bit in between was a bit of a downer.

John
Latest Forum Posts