Non-motoring > Cold feet cure Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 40

Cold feet cure - Dave
I'm currently out shooting/hunting a couple of times a week. When walking around for pheasants/rabbits with the spaniels, I have no problem. But, when out on moose/roedeer/hares etc, most of the time it's just sitting on a high seat waiting for the dogs to drive the animals past. After about 1/2 hour my feet are freezing. I have top quality hunting boots giving my toes a little room, and top quality super duper socks. I've tried wiggling my toes a lot, flexing muscles, tapping my feet on the ground etc, but it makes no difference. And it's not even cold yet!

Do I just need to get some bigger boots and wear more socks, or is there another solution?
 Cold feet cure - Zero
>> Do I just need to get some bigger boots and wear more socks, or is
>> there another solution?

Go Hunting in Harrods Food Hall.
 Cold feet cure - Iffy
...Go Hunting in Harrods Food Hall...

The tiled floor in front of the fish display can be a bit chilly.

Cold feet cure - Bellboy
put your feet on a lump of wood
or one of those kneeling pads you get in garden shops
 Cold feet cure - Fenlander
Perhaps try swapping over roles with the moose every so often???
 Cold feet cure - Pat
You could have a problem with your extremeties, how's your fingers and nose?

Pat
 Cold feet cure - Zero
My dogs got no nose
 Cold feet cure - Manatee
What! How does he smell?
 Cold feet cure - Zero
He smells awful
 Cold feet cure - madf
I know a way of warming feet.. several in fact.

Not telling though... Some are likely to get you banned...
 Cold feet cure - Runfer D'Hills
Thermal insoles. Any decent shoe repairer/cobblers will have them. Or try a hip flask. Won't make your feet warmer but you'll be far less bothered about it.
 Cold feet cure - MD
>> Thermal insoles. Any decent shoe repairer/cobblers will have them. Or try a hip flask.

Hip flaskS.
 Cold feet cure - PhilW
Are you keeping your legs warm? Warm legs = warm feet! Maybe try some lined trousers or good long johns?
I have Craghopper and Regatta lined trousers which are great when standing on cold concrete terrace watching Leicester Tigers
Have a look here
www.gooutdoors.co.uk/kiwi-winter-lined-trs-short-p161492
They are also often to be found cheap at places like TK Maxx, Matalan etc (got some for £14.99 last year!
www.trekwear.co.uk/s/regatta-lined-action-ii-trousers/11722/Product.aspx
I have no connection with any company named above except as a means to keep warm!
Phil
 Cold feet cure - Dave
Pat, as far as I know, my fingers and nose are ok.

PhilW, yes, I had longjohns (why are they called that?) on, as well as thick waterproof trousers.
 Cold feet cure - Kevin
>PhilW, yes, I had longjohns (why are they called that?) on, as well as thick waterproof trousers.

You're not Aquarian are you? According to my astrologically-inclined wife, us Aquarians are prone to cold feet.

Best solution I've found is good quality trousers (not jeans/cotton) with longjohns and multiple layers of socks made from fine natural fibres like silk or cashmere and, most importantly, the right boots.

I have a pair of Timberland oiled leather hiking boots with full Gore-tex lining that I wear for shooting/tramping the moors/snow. Sadly they are coming to the end of their life but are no longer made.
 Cold feet cure - Ted
>> What! How does he smell?

OK....How does he determine aromas ?

Ted
>>
 Cold feet cure - Zero
Ok and welcome to Ted the heckler in Row 3 - Is that you wife in the seat next you or ........
 Cold feet cure - Ted
Is that you wife
>> in the seat next you or ........
>>

No, It's your daughter.........be very afraid !

Ted
 Cold feet cure - MD
Movement is a fine thing. My Dad used to say, "Shiver faster Boy, you'll soon get warm." Ruddy swine!!

Never mind the High seat Mister...outrageous. OK...I'll have a Haunch (please).

On a serious note, it MAY be to do with age. It's getting me when static. When out with the Dogs etc. it doesn't matter a bit.

Regards......M
 Cold feet cure - Dave
Well I am getting older (46), and I have started to say ooh and aaah when I sit down or get up off the sofa.
 Cold feet cure - Dog
Try putting Cayenne pepper in your socks, try it with one sock first so you can tell if its working.

:)
 Cold feet cure - -
I doubt there is a real cure for cold feet i've suffered for donkey's, i've had top quality boots good socks and insoles and after a cold day the old plates are perished, take the boots of and me socks will be damp too.
To be fair the DeWalt boots i use with a very bouncy sole seem to insulate from the ground as well as anything i've tried, hard soles seem to transmit the cold far better or should that be worse.

The best remedy is by way of immersing the plates in a bowl of hot water and slurping down a warmer of the cockles of the heart...Whisky Mac (whisky and green ginger in 1 to 2 ratio) when you get home, once warmed through...blissful..things will be fine again.
 Cold feet cure - Runfer D'Hills
A couple of things you could try GB. The first applies to anyone who tends to have excess perspiration in their feet. The second specifically for those who spend a lot of time driving.

Before I start on the advice thing though, here's a fact to put you off your water biscuit and Stilton. All adults lose about a pint of sweat through their feet every day ! Nice eh ? Well the thing is most of it evaporates but some of it stays in your socks and shoes. It seeps into the linings, the stitching and eventually into the upper material itself. If you don't believe me, just wear a pair of wellies for a day and then feel your socks !

One of the reasons for cold feet is latent dampness in footwear. The shoes or boots may feel dry but trust me if you have worn them in the previous 24 hours they aren't.

Some are equipped with wicking fabrics in their linings often in conjunction with Sympatex or Goretex interlinings ( or indeed whatever "tex" the manufacturer has a licence to use. ) The principle of all of them is very similar.

For many though the very best lining and insock material is good old fashioned leather, preferably calf skin. Goat is ok but avoid pigskin, it stinks when damp but can still be called "leather" You can spot pig a mile off by its bigger hair follicles giving it an almost pepperpot appearance. Cheaper than the other leathers but best avoided.

Anyway, back to the handy hints !

1/ If at all possible avoid at all costs wearing the same item of footwear on consecutive days and in preference change your footwear during the day if feasable. Certainly remove whatever shoes you've had on during the day as soon as you get home. Your feet will thank you for it and so will your shoes. The trapped perspiration ( and indeed bacteria ) has much more of a chance to dry out or die off. In the ideal world you should only wear the same shoes/boots every third day really.

2/ When driving for long periods, avoid having the airflow directed at your feet even on cold days. They will become unnaturally hot without you noticing and will perspire even more which of course makes them feel colder so you turn the heat up and....well...so on...
 Cold feet cure - -
>> A couple of things you could try GB. The first applies to anyone who tends
>> to have excess perspiration in their feet. The second specifically for those who spend a
>> lot of time driving.

Thanks for that good advice Hump, i am guilty of wearing the same very good ( proper leather and Goretex) boots every day, i shall change that and alternate...reminds me must order a new pair of the rather expensive ones i like, as you well know many boots are now plastic or some other material designed to appear like leather even drenched in leather aroma, tat.

Mind you when i restart work on a Monday by lunch time the old kippers are starting to feel damp/cold.

I usually drive a Volvo truck now, unlike their cars whch usually have excellent heaters the truck heaters are about as much use as the proverbial teapot and getting enough heat to the floor to even dry out drips of water is nigh on impossible, it's always been the same with their trucks.

Attn Dog.

If you're following this, i recall you buying a pair of those DeWalt boots too, i remember you found them at a very reasonable 60 quid or so, don't s'pose you recall the site perlease?
 Cold feet cure - Dog
>> Attn Dog<<

I think it was Transtools GB, they want 75 sovs for the critters now!
Is there any way I can search my email account to confirm it was Transtools?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dewalt-Challenger-2-Gore-Tex-Safety-Work-Boots-Brown-8-/170561436547?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item27b640fb83
 Cold feet cure - -

>> I think it was Transtools GB, they want 75 sovs for the critters now!

Thanks D, i haven't perused yet so i'll start there and have a poke nose about.

I hope you weren't asking me how to search a computer...ever seen a cow trying to fire a bren..;)
 Cold feet cure - Dog
>>I hope you weren't asking me how to search a computer...ever seen a cow trying to fire a bren..;)<<

(Hehe!) :) ... You're in luck GB, I've found the receipt and it was Timothy Wood Ltd, in W. Yorks, HD1 6PQ -
tel. 01484 440000 and I paid £64-95 inc p&p back in April (via ebay)
 Cold feet cure - -
You're in luck GB, I've found the receipt and it was Timothy
>> Wood Ltd, in W. Yorks, HD1 6PQ -

Thanks a bundle D, they are on Amazon at 68.11 free P&P so if i don't get any joy from your supplier i'll order those...there is one site offering them at just under 60 all in but on a site reviewing site there are some bad reviews, can't be bothered with hassle.

Much obliged.
 Cold feet cure - Dog
>>Much obliged.<<

All part of 'the service' :)
 Cold feet cure - Pat
>>>Volvo truck now, unlike their cars whch usually have excellent heaters the truck heaters are about as much use as the proverbial teapot <<<

Much like the rest of the lorry GB:)

I'm not a Volvo fan.

Pat
 Cold feet cure - -

>> Much like the rest of the lorry GB:)
>>
>> I'm not a Volvo fan.

For my particular job the FM is good overall Pat, being slightly lower it's very manoueverable for a 6x2 with tight turning circle, just as well as i often fill in as the yard shunter at one of my daily calls, though i agree with your comments, i wouldn't buy one.

Off topic even more, what here?...i took a picture of the fuel computer screen yesterday for proof after i got back from two drops in London in a 800,000km 420 Scania, 15.14mpg, similar (admittedly light) running to my everyday with a 440FM which struggles to get 9.
 Cold feet cure - John H
>> Do I just need to get some bigger boots and wear more socks, or is
>> there another solution?
>>

See your Doctor.

Cold feet may = poor circulation = many causes ranging from varicose veins to Reynaud's to dicky heart. Alcohol will thin the blood and help circulation and give you a respite for a few minutes; but you will lose more heat from your body and could do more harm than good.

I am not a Doctor, so my views above may be completely wrong.

Cold feet cure - rtj70
John H, I think the OP is saying he only gets cold feet when sat there sitting outside when hunting. At other times (including walking outside) he is fine. So could it be the wind chill taking away any heat.

If the OP has cold feet say sat at home too then yes see the GP!
 Cold feet cure - teabelly
Stay indoors you daft beggar :-)

Take food with you. If you eat it generally leads to a higher metabolic rate so you tend to feel warmer. Warm drinks warm up your core so you may find you get more circulation to extremities this way.

Is the seat insulated? A nice thick cushion might mean your circulation isn't getting restricted so much.

If you're on the lean side then you need to eat more pies to build up a decent fat layer to keep you warm :-)
 Cold feet cure - henry k
>>Is the seat insulated? A nice thick cushion might mean your circulation isn't getting restricted so much.
>>
or get a Kneelo to sit on.
blog.theenduringgardener.com/nice-kneeling-on-a-kneelo/
 Cold feet cure - Ted

In many years of biking and hiking, I've found that a thinner sock, leaving some air space round the foot to trap body heat, has worked reasonably well.

Our resident Cheshire foot fetishist gives good advice. I've found wellies have always seemed to be the warmest but not suitable for most activities. Should be ok sitting still.

Or a fan heater up each trouser leg..........roasted nuts, anyone ?

Ted
 Cold feet cure - Dave
Thanks for all the ideas guys.

I was looking through some old hunting mags and found a test on various winter boots. They actually did a proper test looking at temperature drop over a given time. So I've got a bit of bedtime reading there.

I will also take something to sit on, as the plank that is the seat on the high seats, is usually wet. I even found an old pair of fur lined boots in the cellar that I'd forgotten I had. They're terrible to walk in, but are (fake) fur lined and really roomy, so I may try those next time.

And for GB, all the foreign truck drivers wear those sandal type things, like Scholl shoes, but not wood. God know's what they're called though. My dad calls them poofs sandals, but I'm not sure that's the correct term!
 Cold feet cure - legacylad
Dave
Try good quality base layers. I recommend Icebreaker. High % merino, and different weights/styles available. Teko socks are also high % merino. The advantage is that they are warm, do not whiff after several days consecutive use, and wash well. My better half is a skinny size 8, feels the cold and uses Icebreaker for skiing and dog walking in winter.
For good quality warm boots, have a look at the Haglofs range.
I openly admit to being a bit of an anorak in these things because I am a member of the Long Distance Walkers Assoc, regularly camp in winter, and walk in all hours of daylight during winter weekends when the opportunity arises!
 Cold feet cure - hjd
My son is a beater during the season; he has some neoprene lined wellies which keep his feet warm. They are expensive but worth it if you spend a lot of time outdoors. A friend's son is a gamekeeper and he also has some of these. Usually wear 2 pairs of socks - one thin cotton pair and then one thicker pair.
 Cold feet cure - borasport
What not to try

on a caving trip a looooooong time ago (Short Drop Cave, Leck Fell - I know you are interested really) a colleague had the idea of filling his wetsocks with warm water from a flask.

The water was hotter than he anticipated :-D))) but being a potholer and thus a 'hard man' he was determined to show no pain. Until we got out, and when he took the wetsocks of, they took large chunks of skin with them.

Oh how we laughed ;-)

Cold feet cure - Zero
Too much detail
Latest Forum Posts