Non-motoring > Washing machine inlet hose Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 22

Washing machine inlet hose - Focusless
Need to plumb in washing machine at new house - clothes need washing apparently - and both the washing machine and house supply appear to have screw threaded connectors which are 25mm (or slightly bigger) outside diameter. But I'm having trouble finding hoses with the appropriate connectors. Please can someone point me in the right direction?
 Washing machine inlet hose - Zero
there should be a standard washing machine "tap" with a threaded outlet. A washing machine hose (both ends female) should screw straight on.
 Washing machine inlet hose - Iffy
...A washing machine hose (both ends female) should screw straight on....

Certainly should.

My old washing machine was hot and cold fill - two hoses.

My new this year one is cold fill only - one hose.

All the hoses are the same size, so I don't think that's changed in many years.
Ok, thanks again you two.
 Washing machine inlet hose - Old Navy
Any DIY shed, or shop that sells washing machines and dishwashers shoud sell the hoses.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 13 Nov 10 at 14:04
 Washing machine inlet hose - borasport
As said, they are a standard size. If the new machine is a cold feed only, I'd highly recommend you but a blanking cap over the unused hot connector
(available from the bright orange retail giant, but only in packs of two)
otherwise you may find the contents of your under-sink cubpoard awash after a couple of days.
This is the voice of experience speaking.....

I have a brass blanking cap (with a large rubber disk inside) over my now unused hot fill tap.
The plastic blanking plugs have a tendency to split

(this is the voice of experience speaking)
 Washing machine inlet hose - borasport
This voice of experience is not arguing.
I replaced the washing machine about 18 months ago
And all the cleaning products in the cupboard under the sink a few days later.

And for some unknown reason, I found the surplus blanking cap in my briefcase earlier this week
 Washing machine inlet hose - bathtub tom
>>I'd highly recommend you but a blanking cap over the unused hot connector

A better solution might be a 'Y' connector. This connects the two inlets on the washing machine to one supply and means that if either inlet should open, then it's supplied.

When we got our latest machine it was cold fill only. I fitted a blanking cap over the hot supply. Glad I did. I noticed the tap in the 'on' position t'other day.
...When we got our latest machine it was cold fill only. I fitted a blanking cap over the hot supply...

The delivery man from Comet put a metal blanking tap over the hot outlet when he fitted my new washing machine.

I was doubly pleased 'cos I'd been to B&Q a few days earlier and couldn't find one, or two, plastic or otherwise.

Washing machine inlet hose - crocks
3/4" BSP blanking cap is what everyone is talking about.
Available from your local plumbers merchant at a better price than the sheds.
 Washing machine inlet hose - Pat
Have you tried looking on the back of the washing machine, they usually hang there.

This is the voice of experience speaking.

Pat
 Washing machine inlet hose - Manatee
>> Need to plumb in washing machine at new house - clothes need washing apparently -
>> and both the washing machine and house supply appear to have screw threaded connectors which
>> are 25mm (or slightly bigger) outside diameter.

What do you mean by "house supply?" Garden tap? Having read the entire thread I'm wondering if the problem is that you have a garden tap under the sink rather than a washing machine tap. I imagine it's hard to find washing machine hoses without stand couplings.

Voice of speculation speaking.
Just got back from local Focus with a standard washing machine hose (£5 something) and fitted it no problem.

The problem was I didn't know what the 'standard' is - I measured the fitting as 25mm, but most of the references to hoses I could find mentioned 3/4", hence my query.

I've left the hot water outlet for the moment - it's been ok since we moved in on Thursday, but I'll keep an eye on it.
 Washing machine inlet hose - Ted

What an interesting thread..........................3/4BSP.

Much more interesting than other threads !

I'll get me burkha.

Ted
>> What an interesting thread..........................3/4BSP.
>>
>> Much more interesting than other threads !

Ted - you really need to get out more :)
you are really screwed up Ted
 Washing machine inlet hose - Cliff Pope
Don't just leave the tap permanently on, or you may come home from holiday one day and find the kitchen flooded because the hose has burst.
This is the voice of experience speaking.

Actaully I notice my new diswasher has a special pressure sensing device in the hose just after where it screws onto the tap. I think this is to avoid such disasters. May be washing machine hoses do too now,
>> Don't just leave the tap permanently on, or you may come home from holiday one
>> day and find the kitchen flooded because the hose has burst.
>> This is the voice of experience speaking.
>>
Or better still turn off the water to the whole house at the stop cock, much safer and keeps the stopcock operating freely.
...What an interesting thread.....3/4BSP...

BSP - British Standard Pipe thread, apparently.

Putting a cap on the unused pipe is desirable, but a plumber once told me the taps are as secure as any, so there's no need to lose sleep over it.

Washing machine inlet hose - sherlock47
>>>>the taps are as secure as any<<<<

but most ordinary taps are
1 over a sink
2 not out of sight
3cannot be accidentally knocked thro 90 deg at the back of a cupboard

case rests!
Last edited by: pmh on Sat 13 Nov 10 at 17:50
 Washing machine inlet hose - percy
The small quarter turn taps are easy to nudge on when grovelling under the sink so a cap is a good idea.
Also the older red and blue w/m pipes had identical connections but the blue was for HIGH pressure cold and the red for LOW presure hot. Motto: don't be tempted to use an old red one on a modern cold fill only machine.
I think the 3/4 inch was generally the ID of the steel pipe on which the 3/4 BSP external thread would have ben cut (in the good old days).
>> Also the older red and blue w/m pipes had identical connections but the blue was
>> for HIGH pressure cold and the red for LOW presure hot. Motto: don't be tempted
>> to use an old red one on a modern cold fill only machine.
>>
Oh dear, my house has mains pressure hot and cold systems, good job I have cold fill only machines. :-)
Latest Forum Posts