Non-motoring > Draught excluders Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 8

Draught excluders - borasport
Most of the recent gusts of wind seem to have found our front door no barrier to entry to the house, so I thought i'd call at one of the DIY sheds to see what is available to add some insulation.

I could see the old fashioned stuff which is basically a 1/4" strip of foam with a sticky side, but there was also more complex stuff with either 'E' or 'P' profile, but no indication of why one should use one or t'other. -any ideas ?
 Draught excluders - Old Navy
You may be able to adjust the lock or its striker to take up any gap between the door and its frame.
 Draught excluders - Fenlander
The profile ones are mostly better than cheap foam. They usually have a small diagram on the packet of suitable uses plus a max gap they'll seal. You need to look at the gap, how even it is and if the door is to close against the seal or brush past it.

I do know I made my Series 3 Land Rover *almost* watertight with loads of E-profile when I assembled the body.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 15:59
I'll be measuring the gap when I get home - looks like Amazon is actually the cheapest place to get it from.
Right - e-profile stuff is on order.

The next task is to get a door handle plate with a cover over the keyhole. Anybody know what such a thing is called or where to find one, as I've been browsing all afternoon without success
 Draught excluders - Iffy
....a door handle plate with a cover over the keyhole....

What you seek is an escutcheon plate.

www.morehandles.co.uk/more-handles/other-door-furniture/escutcheons?gclid=CM36-sO3o6UCFVD-2AodvCsDHg
 Draught excluders - Tooslow
Why is it that those integrated handle / lock things (as fitted by our joiner when he put new doors on) don't have such things? :-(

Next time...

John
Nice try, Iffy, but not the case.
The escutcheon plate is as far as I can see simply the plate (usually circular, as in most of the examples in your link) that goes round the keyhole, irrespective of whether it has a cover for the keyhole or not.

I suppose we could go for a separate handle and covered escutcheon, but the door is metal clad and a pfd to drill into, so I'm looking for a door handle backing plate with covers on the keyhole. It seems to me they were two a penny when I was a young lad, but totally unavailable these days
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 00:50
 Draught excluders - henry k
>>I'm looking for a door handle backing plate with covers on the keyhole. It seems to me they were two a penny when I was a young lad, but totally unavailable these days
>>
Price has gone up a bit :-))
mydeco.com/p/art-deco-chrome-door-knob-escutcheon-lock-plate-door-handles/GB697A24EQEZBRGW2YR5IHMHU5FUZBNI7RHXHUSF/
Latest Forum Posts