Non-motoring > Life Line Screening Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 25

Life Line Screening - MD
Anybody had any dealings with this lot?

Pamphlet drops through door. Erin doors thinks that it is worth the £139.00 to be 'screened' for 1. Stroke. 2. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening. 3. Heart Rhythm Screening (Atrial Fibrillation). 4. Peripheral Arterial disease Screening (PAD).

Sounds to me like a ruddy con.

Views.
 Life Line Screening - Fenlander
They carry out about 60% of the tests I had through my GP after a period of high blood pressure. All they seem to miss is a chest X-ray. If you are in need of the tests it is very likely your GP will get them done and there's no charge.

If £139 is nothing to you and you're interested the only issue you risk is them throwing up something unimportant but that worries you so you have to see your GP.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 08:12
 Life Line Screening - bathtub tom
So, of all the things that can ail you, there must be thousands, they're going to 'screen' for four and charge you £139 for the privilege.

I suppose that if you put enough leaflets through enough doors, someone will bite.

What's that quote? Invent a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.
 Life Line Screening - Crankcase
Do the sums and it might add some perspective. We have a population of about 65 million, and you can look up the rates for these things.

To save you the time, in the general population, you have a 99.75% chance you won't die of the first, a 99.99% chance you won't die of the second, a 99% chance you don't have the third, and even if you are in the worst affected age group for the fourth (60-70), you have a 90% chance you don't have it. Even if you do, the last two are not generally fatal.

Yours,

A Random Bloke Off The Internet.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 10:04
 Life Line Screening - borasport
My late brother had been in and out of hospital for the past two years and undergone banks of 'tests', including tests on the liver which were necessary as his diabetes was putting his liver at risk. All these tests missed the cancer of the liver which eventually took him earlier this year

My FIL, 76, has been regularly checked up on his private medical scheme for the past four years, yet they have just discovered 'significant' and 'advanced' problems

If issues are being missed like this, what can you expect from a £100+ checkup ?

Its just a way of generating a profit from 'the worried well'
 Life Line Screening - Fursty Ferret
Don't bother.

First up, if you have any latent heart problems they will almost certainly have shown themselves through other symptoms by now, and an ECG is quick and free from the NHS if necessary.

Secondly, everyone is different and it's not at all unusual for a routine ECG to "pick something up". While the machines can identify abnormalities in the rhythm, many lie within acceptable boundaries and you need a cardiac expert to give a clear answer. In the overwhelming majority of cases, this is "it's perfectly normal". So you're actually far more likely to give yourself needless worry.

Finally, I don't know if these tests include a chest x-ray, but (and it's been a while since I did the statistics on this) there is absolutely no way that I would voluntarily have an on-spec chest x-ray unless there was an excellent reason behind it. Do not take the radiation dose from chest x-rays lightly.
 Life Line Screening - Runfer D'Hills
One day, sooner or later, preferably of course the latter, I'm going to die. In the meanwhile, while I feel fit and well, I'd rather not know if that was imminent or too much about the likely cause of it. The inevitability of it is enough knowledge for me to be going on with !

Doctors are generally quite good at bone mending but in my experience they get way out of their comfort zone and skillset when they are asked to do much more than that. They tell you that you have something wrong with you and then you feel ill. Denial is a blissful state. If no one tells you there's anything wrong you generally feel pretty good.

Well I do anyway.....

:-)

Life Line Screening - borasport
>> One day, sooner or later, preferably of course the latter, I'm going to die.

We all are, and most of us know it and accept it without dwelling on it. Of course, large numbers of people in California probably think differently.Me, every time I read or hear that 'the death rate is nnn' I silently respond 'no it isn't, it's 100%'. But that's just me....
 Life Line Screening - MD
>> Its just a way of generating a profit from 'the worried well'
>>
They were my exact words to her.
 Life Line Screening - Roger.

"a better mousetrap.................................."

..................actually, more apposite is "There's one born every minute"!
Last edited by: landsker on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 11:45
 Life Line Screening - Old Navy
I have had three serious "life threatening" episodes, one surgically induced. Believe me, you will know when you are ill, until then let the medics practise on someone else.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 12:04
 Life Line Screening - RattleandSmoke
My late grandad had loads of test of four years because he had what my mum thought was symptoms of bowel cancer. My GP thought it was an over active thyroid. He had that sorted and a load of other tests. Still no better, in the end they discovered advanced cancer. He had the operation for that (e.g needing a bag) and survived.

Six months later they had discovered he had advanced liver cancer, the doctors said he would most likely survive going of the test results but when he had his opp they realised it was too advanced and cut 80% of his liver out, he died three days later of multiple organ failure. So despite all the tests they still missed the main cause of my grandads illness.

He died aged 79 which was a good age considered one of his hobbys was going to the pub twice a week with is mates. I remember at the funeral they were all shocked to find out he was nearly 80 they all thought he was a lot younger.

My point is no tests in the world would have saved my grandad in his circumstances. As old nav says you will know when you feel ill and when you feel ill then go to your GP. Don't waste money on tests which will probably give you false positives.
 Life Line Screening - bathtub tom
I know a long-term survivor of cancer who was given an MRI body scan. It highlighted all sorts of problems. He was told not to worry about them as they could pull anyone in off the street and find problems.
 Life Line Screening - madf
Lets face it, once you are over 50 - and if you chose the wrong parents, or did no exercise, or smoked, or drank too much or were unlucky - you are likely at some time to be unwell.

Do you really want to live to 95 with 10 years of being gaga and incontinent ? There is a good chance you may..

As long as I feel OK and can run my weekly 20 miles, I want no tests...The oldest guy doing the recent Dovedale Dash was 71...
www.dovedaledash.acwager.co.uk/

I intend to live life to the full and not worry about things which may be incurable...
 Life Line Screening - Dog
If your cambelt was on its last legz and that fact was picked up by an examination, much wonga would be saved.

Prevention is better than cure.

Not aimed @ anyone in par tic cu la.
 Life Line Screening - Crankcase
When the ghastly Bernard Manning was told in his forties he could live another five years if he gave up drinking, he said his only funny line ever - yes, but they'd all be at the end, wouldn't they.

Life Line Screening - CGNorwich
I never thought I would agree with Bernard Manning but there is nothing in this world that I would give up for another six months in a care home
The reality is,however, with an ageing population likely to swamp NHS facilities in the next 20 years,,, it may be pointless identifying a new cambelt is needed if the garages are closed to Morris Minors and prefer BMW 318 diesels.

See Staffordshire Hospitals who decided the best way to reduce waiting lists is to kill patients...and lie about it.. And the Trust which ran them did the same...and the then Government helped cover up the extent of the deaths by removing all mention of the estimated number of extra deaths..

It WILL happen again...
Last edited by: madf on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 14:11
- - - madf, I avoid doctors and medication like the plague!

And hospitals ... I wouldn't be seen dead in one.

:)
>> - - - madf, I avoid doctors and medication like the plague!
>>
>> And hospitals ... I wouldn't be seen dead in one.
>>

The benefits of an efficient mortuary department...
Last edited by: madf on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 15:09
>>The benefits of an efficient mortuary department...<<

That reminds me - I must look on ebay for a soylent green dvd.
 Life Line Screening - NeilS
>>>Secondly, everyone is different and it's not at all unusual for a routine ECG to "pick something up". While the machines can identify abnormalities in the rhythm, many lie within acceptable boundaries and you need a cardiac expert to give a clear answer.

Agreed - a routine ECG at my GPs (after he listened to my chest) when I reported for a stubborn chest infection picked up what he thought was an irregular rhythm which a cardiologist confirmed a few days later. Likely I would have had a blood clot by now and stroke if it hadn't have been spotted and I wasn't put on rat poison. Joined a new gym a couple of months ago and the heart monitor put on for the induction course couldn't handle the maths - showed 32bpm and then 244 bpm!
 Life Line Screening - Cliff Pope
I did have my palm read once. I was told it was very unusual in having two life-lines, and a third in between, starting at the point where the other two ended. She prophesised I would lead a double life.

The traditional dark stranger has not materialised yet.
 Life Line Screening - Perky Penguin
I was lucky to have a very comprehensive medical once a year, and latterly every 6 months, as a requirement of my continuing to be a pilot. Since then I have been with a local GP and the NHS, for the last 10 years. In that time I have a suspect cancer which was investigated and found to be something else, within a calendar month. I haven't been to my GP's surgery for 3 years except for the winter flu jab and I don't intend to go unless I feel very ill! I have not had a day off work in the last 5+ years and apart from getting pretty deaf I am in fair fettle IMO!
 Life Line Screening - MD
>> I was lucky to have a very comprehensive medical once a year, and latterly every
>> 6 months, as a requirement of my continuing to be a pilot. Since then I
>> have been with a local GP and the NHS, for the last 10 years. In
>> that time I have a suspect cancer which was investigated and found to be something
>> else, within a calendar month. I haven't been to my GP's surgery for 3 years
>> except for the winter flu jab and I don't intend to go unless I feel
>> very ill! I have not had a day off work in the last 5+ years
>> and apart from getting pretty deaf I am in fair fettle IMO!
>>
PARDON!
 Life Line Screening - Perky Penguin
GRANTED!
Latest Forum Posts