Non-motoring > Census jobs available Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 224

Census jobs available - R.P.
For those of you interested in doing some census work early next year.

www.censusjobs.co.uk

Filled out my application and done the "sift" online...
 Census jobs available - RattleandSmoke
Might have a look into this, would the work be easy to get I wonder? I could do with a little extra money to pay of my credit card.
I've done the on-line aptitude test and it seems like common sense. Good money for a few weeks..
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 12:38
 Census jobs available - Runfer D'Hills
It does sound mind-numbingly boring though. I'd rather be a lumberjack. Chain saw, check shirt, safety boots, hard hat and pints of tea. Gotta be more fun...and you get to be called "Chuck" or something like that too...

:-)
and dress occasionally as a lassie ?
....no I'd pass on that opportunity but I would want a shot of one of those machines which cuts down trees and stips the branches off. You would have to get Bruce Springsteen on your headphones though while driving it.
 Census jobs available - henry k
>> It does sound mind-numbingly boring though....:-)
>>
I did the door knocking last time and found it "interesting".
On my patch there were lots of multi million homes to go visiting including well known persons. I met a wide variety of people. Some were very thick, some rude, some out and out liars some unusual. The worst were the "gate keepers" for a well known pop star and another for a middle east mega rich guy.

The most memorable guy was
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Gwynne
A real gentleman who when I visited I never thought was the owner but the renovators on site updated me.

Quite fun to tell some that I would report them and they may be taken to court.

It was fine in my area but would not want to do some lesser patches.
 Census jobs available - Iffy
Don't want no damn busybodies knocking on my door.

>> Don't want no damn busybodies knocking on my door.
>>
Then fill in the form and save expensive door knockers. Simples :-)
 Census jobs available - Fenlander
I'd thought about it but too many long drives and angry dogs round here.
...Then fill in the form and save expensive door knockers. Simples :-)...

Presumably that's what I've done in the past, although I can't remember.

There was some resistance to the census callers when I lived on the farm.

Again, I can't remember the exact ins and outs, but some people didn't like discussing their business with fellow members of the community.

>>>some resistance to the census callers when I lived on the farm.

Yes my comment relates to living in a rural farming community and their already stressed attitude to form filling.

Census jobs available - Duncan
>> >>>> The most memorable guy was
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Gwynne
>> A real gentleman who when I visited I never thought was the owner but the
>> renovators on site updated me.

Why didn't you pop into my place - just down the road - for a cup of tea?

The National Trust have taken over the property, which is open, by arrangement, once a month(?)

I believe his Aston Martin is still in the garage. He had some famous visitors.
>> >> The most memorable guy was
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Gwynne
>>

That must have been the 2001 census - presumably.

Did you call on Maurice Gibb who lived almost opposite to Patrick Gwynne?
>> That must have been the 2001 census - presumably.
>>
It was
>> Did you call on Maurice Gibb who lived almost opposite to Patrick Gwynne?
>>
I did and had mild aggro with " the gate keeper" so I "advised him" and said I was aware who lived there, poimting to the old vehicle parked with a cheap MG number plate parked inside the gate and it was still a requirement to complete the forms.

The vast majority of people I met were polite and helpful. Neighbours were often helpful in resolving the more difficult / outstanding situations.

I had difficulty finding ten houses with an address on the Portsmouth Road.
I found them behind Upper Court (where David LLoyd George lived).
They all had to be accounted for as dwellings.
The were in a bad state but have since been sorted out and are now lived in.
PU said >>>I've done the on-line aptitude test

Where was that... I didn't see it. Is that a fail already :-)
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 14:23
It's the big red button on the right in flashing red with Aptitude Test written on it !!

No seriously you only get to that stage once you've filled out an online form. It's called something else, no doubt not PC to call it an aptitude test in case it offends someone. You get an e-mail with a link.
Actually I might give it a go. I'll pick an adj local area with minimal drive lengths/dogd where I don't know too many folks.
I hope there will be some improvement in the procedures from last time as I was paid for some jobs that were a total waste of time.

Last time the door knocking, in the vast majority of cases, was because folk had not filled in and returned the form.
I was delivering a replacement form, hopefully ensuring folk understood what was required and left them to it. If no reply to the knock then often a neigbour would help me determine the situation.
Some would fill in the form while I waited but that was NOT the norm.

IMO the main concern by quite a few rich folk was that the raw data would get to the council and they would not accept my assurance that it would not.

I have no idea about the processes next year.
Give then a call and enquire what is required.
 Census jobs available - Zero
What Job did you apply for? I haven't seen "aptitude test" You didn't go for the nobby indoor management role did you?

you ponce.
About time you two ( PU and Z ) did something useful anyway. No one likes a shirker....

No Zero I'm a man of the people - door knocking that's where I'll be. Right in a loud voice !

Once you fill out the very basic online application you get two e-mails - one is an acknowledgement and the second has a link to the AP (not typing Aptitude Test again !)
Only people who failed to get the basic form right have to fill out the aptitude test!
Ho Ho Ho !
...Ho Ho Ho !...

Don't mention Christmas.

Apologies for the double post, but the scale of the Chinese census is staggering:

"More than five million census workers will spend 11 days conducting the first census in a decade of China’s approximate 1.3 billion people."

tinyurl.com/38ec35o
 Census jobs available - Falkirk Bairn
SWMBO did the census job in 1981 as another neighbour roped her in. I was roped in to try and catch the last 10% - you had to visit through the day, evenings, weekends in order to track down and retrieve the forms.

90% of our area was OK, forms handed out and most collected on 1st or 2nd turn after Census day. The remian 10% were a pain - never in, half completed forms..............

However our neighbour was not so lucky - she ended witha council scheme where not only the people were of dubious worth but the Council, planners and local worthies had conspired to hide house numbers, street names and trying to find your way around in the vening darkness was fraught.

IIRC my wife earned about £100 but if you divided the hours put in rather than the planned hours the rate of pay was appalling.

1991 came around and we did not offer our labour, once bitten...............
 Census jobs available - BobbyG
.*********
ok translated that meant well I will be damned if I am going down to England for a few hours part time work!!
Was it the E word that upset the swear filter??? :)
Just done the first "test"

Blimey seems like hard work, I might just "fail" the next two parts.
 Census jobs available - madf
having done all the tests, I don't think the job is paid enough for the hassle.
(Hassle of the job that is: not the tests)
Last edited by: madf on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 12:37
 Census jobs available - Pat
That was my view too.

Pat
I've tried the management position tests...

(as well as the census taker).

Definitely not worth the hassle.

Reading between the lines:

Many census takers find it hard work due to poor maps/people out/people unwilling to answer.
Many become demotivated.
Some cheat and make up answers.
Expense fiddling is a BIG problem...(receipts required).
You often have to work very late to meet targets.
They provide laptops with software which has failed to work properly in the past.

I have to say that's based on the questions asked... So the above may be 100% incorrect.

Last edited by: madf on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 14:03
>>Reading between the lines:....
>>
Well from the last census experiencel I had in 2001 I an not aware of the above list of ???s

I hope things have improved since last time.
I did not have to produce any receipts or work late ( I am retired) and I did not see a laptop.
Perhaps the laptops are for management.
There was lots of paper to shuffle :-)
So says me from the bottom of the food chain covering a very up market area.
 Census jobs available - Tooslow
You'll lose your benefit :-)

John
Shhhh, no-one will know though if you don't tell them!

Pat
Zeddo,

More one off work going with the Electrol Commission - got a form to fill in to sit in polling stations on voting days - no aptitude tests !
"Electrol " is that what you put into a hybrid?

John
...no aptitude tests !...

Obviously not.

It was early !
A long day in a draughty church or school hall.

Warm clothing, a flask and a well-stocked bait box would be essential.
where do you get the form for the sitting down job?

not keen on the walking round 30 houses an hour job.
>> where do you get the form for the sitting down job?
>>
Call Elmbridge Council.
Just booked my interviewer interview...
And me too. Must have aptitude.
Best get the duffel coat and Polyvelts bought then. Oh and probably better to start on the beard growing soon too. The halitosis can be achieved on the day with judicious consumption of raw onions. Get practising the nasal accent now and you should be sorted in plenty of time for the interview...( don't forget to fill the top pocket of your cheap tweed jacket with pens and get some boiled egg splillage rubbed well in to the knitted tie too in case you asked to remove the duffel coat, it pays to attend to the details )...

Well - needs must a couple of hundred quid for what seems like little work, been allocated an area to work already..
If you wear suspenders under the duffel coat you might manage to make a bit extra on the side...Mind you don't bend your clipboard though.
>> And me too. Must have aptitude.
>>

I have certainly got Attitude:-)
 Census jobs available - Mapmaker
PU, have you thought about going back to working part time in your proper job?
Good grief no ! Not interested in anything like that - I promised myself not to look back !
Have you considered this as a means of making a few bob? tinyurl.com/2u2ml88

John
Thanks looks a bit like someone here that !

Anyway an update - the site does not like Firefox apparently. I couldn't get the system to acknowledge my appointment - dropped them an e-mail and I was phoned within the hour and it was all sorted over the phone by a human - seems remarkably efficient.
Who signed up for this in the end then? Just had call from someone associated asking me why I hadn't taken it further.

Wondered what mechanism there is for pulling out if you get a better offer in the meantime.

Damn - I didnt complete my final tests in time.

If I want to work that hard, I will go and get contract PC Hardware work at 150 quid a day.
 Census jobs available - L'escargot
>> For those of you interested in doing some census work early next year.

Make the most of it. The 2011 census could be the last.
I have my telephone interview tomorrow - not really fussed - but a distraction and some interaction...
>> I have my telephone interview tomorrow

Beard grown, tweed jacket looked out?
Nah...! Jeans - good walking shoes and fleeces ! (and a good shave after buying so many razor blades a couple of weeks ago)
All sounds a bit "Christian" to me PU.

Census jobs available - smokie
I started the tests a few weeks ago (correctly anticipating I'd be losing my job) and forgot to finish them. I got an email over the weekend to say my app was cancelled. But I've applied again, as a slightly different role - completed the tests yesterday morning. £7.14 ph IIRC, can't wait!

Zero, where can I get £150 a day as a hardware contractor? I was paying £90 a day earlier this year for some fairly well skilled people, and had a waiting list!
A London based bank is doing a relocation over Xmas, and they were recruiting for reinstall and deskside fix desktop HW engineers @ 150 quid a day.

I can earn 100 quid a day doing rollout / relocation support floorwalker roles from any agency.
They phoned 15 minutes before schedule - simple questions based around availability and hours wanted to work, experience of working in teams and dealing with the public. Simple enough all very efficient.
Ditto as PU yesterday...
Ahhhh think I only gave them the landline, and i'm at daughter's house in Birmingham. Maybe they haven't got to the recent applicants yet.
Just had my second interview over the phone.. 30 minutes...Very pleasant lady...
Was that the bit about referees and the such like ?
?

No.. census co-ordinator...
Well, got the job...

Manchester here I come...
Still waiting to hear...
And me.
Yeah but it looks like madf is "management" if I'm reading his posts right..."census co-ordinator"? Prob'ly get round to the workers in due course. Wonder if he gets keys to the executive Portaloo?

:-))
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Tue 7 Dec 10 at 18:26
Executive portaloo, my derriere.

Gold plated taps and champers on ice...
Well if either of you come round here - SW1A 1AA - I am telling you absolutely nothing. In fact you will probably get my boot up your rear.
Yes your royal Highness,
Through to he finals - 37 hours per week for month....shock to the system, never used to do that before I retired.
Don't worry about it PU. It's public sector. Just go in for a day and then phone in sick. You'll probably get counselling about stress in the workplace and everything.

Don't forget to visit the stationery cupboard. Us pensioners are discriminated against, having to buy our own.
John
 Census jobs available - rtj70
>> Don't worry about it PU. It's public sector. Just go in for a day and then phone in sick.

I know of someone who started work and phoned in sick soon after. Twelve months later they are still off sick and cannot be replaced in case they come back. The post has to be kept open. This country is messed up.
>> Through to he finals - 37 hours per week for month....shock to the system, never
>> used to do that before I retired.

Oh dear, I am so upset I never completed my application.
But you can borrow his wand and stand is as a mod for a month Z.

Pat
Rather like putting the fox in charge of the hen-house that one Pat.

BTW I am sure I saw your twin sister today. Climbing out of a rather smart Honda S2000 sports car at Sainsburys in Biggleswade.
Impossible:)

I would never drive a sports car...I let Tesco deliver after spending years delivering to them!

I have been guilty of abandoning an artic and climbing through the fence/hedge at that Sainsbury's though at 3am and using the cashpoint in the past:)

The Harriers didn't come over here either.

Pat
>> Well if either of you come round here - SW1A 1AA - I am telling
>> you absolutely nothing. In fact you will probably get my boot up your rear.
>>

I'll have great pleasure in involving the Met. Water cannon and door breaking down hammer and tooled up..

"We have ways .."
The process continues - had to do my Disclosure thing today, then I had to do the e-learning package - and try the test - threshold pass was 85% got through that comfortably. Guess I know what I'll be doing in April.
...had to do my Disclosure thing today...

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Speaking of which, no nasty letters from parking companies for a little while now....

Reminded me.
Complete the Siftability on 29/11, still heard nothing. Presume I'm sifted out... :-O
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 7 Jan 11 at 21:55
Just had some hefty books delivered and a DVD from the ONS. Still waiting for the classroom dates which is delaying booking our trip to NYC - come on !
Done my classroom: two days in Machester's Ramada hotel.
Signed all non disclosure forms - so I cannot relay any stories of whom I met and what they were not wearing :-)... and start 7th February.
Just got to amend car insurance to include Business Use.. and clear a space for a laptop and mountains of literature..

Blinkin' busybodies the pair of you. :)

They are only obeying orders. Orders which must be obeyed.

John
>> Blinkin' busybodies the pair of you. :)
>>
>>
>>

We've got your number and you'll get the special treatment you deserve...
The training DVD they sent me has "Bonus Features" goodness sake !
 Census jobs available - Bellboy
will you have to eat the dvd once information is in your head

comrade?
I am coating it in Peanut Butter as we speak. See you in Rattle's thread later.
...The training DVD they sent me has "Bonus Features" goodness sake...

And what are they?

"If lucky, you may get to sneak a peak in the lady of the house's knicker drawer."

If I did she'd be no lady.
you could be? you said you had experience of crossdressing?
Not like I've watched it on YouTube or nuffink though.
Must be in the bonus part of the DVD then.
>> Not like I've watched it on YouTube or nuffink though.
>>

PU really means YouPorn....
I wouldn't know !
So how are things going with this? Thought about it, decided not to but now today find they have two areas left here where they still need someone. One a rough area of the fens where a good kicking is almost certain... another some nice villages all lumped together but a long way apart which I guess is why no-one wants them.

Just this moment pushed the application submit button. How long before I get the siftability test?
Few days I would imagine now - as the "date" looms. Had my classroom training the other day - loads of role play. It was OK, no food though.
Pah,

I have been invited for an interview to Join the 2012 Olympic games technical team.

Now thats a real job.

Except there is no pay.
Of course not, it's amateur.

IOC rolls into town, makes squillions, uses the locals as free labour, not to mention "allowing" companies to provide services and they're not even allowed to advertise the fact and then they roll out again leaving the city impoverished. Great work if you can get it.

John
Will you get a white trilby ?
>> So how are things going with this?

Got my laptop /printer/mobile and a hall full of boxes/forms/census bags etc..

Lots of information to digest...

Quite right, you are a manager - promoted to your level,
I am a mere worker bee .....suits my simple needs. iPad2 money !
>>> Had my classroom training the other day - loads of role play.

Oh do tell... if you can. I thought all the training was online... which did puzzle me a bit. What... local hotel conference room type stuff??
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 4 Mar 11 at 18:56
I was quite lucky a few miles down the road - some had to travel quite a distance though. Half a day, tea and biscuits provided. Very little input other than the aforementioned role play. No exam.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Its of no use!
He's been like this since Apple stopped using IBM Powerpc chips.

John
>>>aforementioned role play

Do they provide the outfit?

www.humst.com/fancy-dress-outfitters/fancy-dress/baby-boy-romper-suit-adult/3346.html
Seriously.

Its just an Iphone that got to big, and its horrid to use.

If you must, the new macbook air.
 Census jobs available - Falkirk Bairn
Post census day follow-up visits in Scotland - 80 hours over 2 months - £11.00 per hour.
April & may from what I can remember, adverts in local press.

www.gro-scotland.gov.uk
 Census jobs available - sooty123
How do people in old folks homes, people away in living in hotels and the such like manage are they still expected to fill them in?
yup,

and prisoners
How will they manage that? people in hotels I mean. I expect there won't be many people volunteering to go into nick and chase some forms up!
There is a process for doing hotels. A friend is doing some of that work.
Do tell, how does that work. How about the military are people being employed to knock on barrack block doors?
 Census jobs available - Skoda
>> Its just an Iphone that got to big, and its horrid to use.

Sometimes, you're so wide of the mark Zero :-) It's the best thing since the iPhone. Problems are:

- Too heavy, weighs a ton, so does the new one so i wont be upgrading
- Screen's ok, but where's the retina display! Come on, seriously.

Everything else is ace - speed, battery life etc. etc.
clearly you have not tried to hold one in one hand and type with the other. Specially as you say its too heavy,

Why would you choose one over a mac book air?
You type 2 handed on it, just like a normal laptop - normal size "keys" + fantastically responsive screen means you can touch type as fast as you like.

If you're holding it portrait with nowhere to rest it down, two thumbs are faster than iphone pecking / typing.

>> Why would you choose one over a mac book air?

Cost? Instant on with 10 hour battery life changes the whole game. Shopping on Amazon or reading a magazine has never been so engaging either.

Not tried an air yet, though they're supposed to be ace. One of their big selling points is the SSD but i'd need to see it in action for myself. I put an intel 2nd gen 160gb SSD in the macbook but it didn't really make much difference - MacOS already caches everything in RAM anyway.
>> You type 2 handed on it, just like a normal laptop - normal size "keys"
>> + fantastically responsive screen means you can touch type as fast as you like.
>>
>> If you're holding it portrait with nowhere to rest it down, two thumbs are faster
>> than iphone pecking / typing.

I will tell you where you can get wrist splints for your soon to have RSI. I have used one, the ergonomics for typing are shocking. Its never at the right angle.

The ipad is pointless tat. Pads of any description are pointless tat.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 5 Mar 11 at 09:56
....Its never at the right angle...

I'll have you know the iPad2 has a cover which folds up to form a chock, thus giving a keyboard-type angle.

How much of the screen does the keyboard take up?

For example, if you were trying to post on here or writing an email, could you see what you are typing?

No not after your grimy fingerprints have been all over it, you can see nothing.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 8 Mar 11 at 01:14
>> No not after your grimy fingerprints have been all over it, you can see nothing.

Haha! has Bill Gates or Woz got you on a retainer? Actually you could be Woz, is your name Steve, Zero? :-P

Iffy -- aye you can see fine, it takes about 1/3 of the screen in both orientations. Slightly different keyboard displayed to make best use of the space in each orientation.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 8 Mar 11 at 01:13
Well, got my job offer yesterday and due to a schoolboy error, declined it ! A phone call to the call-centre seemed I would receive a second chance, and lo and behold today I got it - and accepted it ! So job sorted and I am a mercenary of the State.

I have to say dealing with the recruitment handling company has been seamless and very easy with the human element taken in consideration.
I filled my census in online yesterday.

Simple and easy and took all of 5 minutes for two of us.

Pat
 Census jobs available - Crankcase
I was going to fill mine in online but I thought it said you couldn't until the day, so assumed the website wouldn't be live.

Thanks Pat, I'll get it done tonight.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 10 Mar 11 at 15:53
 Census jobs available - RattleandSmoke
My dads also got a job for the census, I won't say what it is in case it turns out anybody here is working with him but its not collecting forms.

Hopefully it will last a few months and make a big difference to my parents finances.
Done mine on paper, (make them earn their money)

Don't know the post code of where my son or wife work so they both got the post code

NOI DEA

and tried to post it.

It wont fit into the post slot of a standard GR PB27/1, so I folded in half lengthwise, whereupon it jammed half way in, couldn't get it in or out. I doubt anyone else has been able to post anything in this box since.

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 10 Mar 11 at 17:44
Ahhh... phone interview this afternoon. Seem to be sliding down that slope towards modest paid employment for a while at least.

BTW PU it seems from your comment the job offer isn't confirmed until after training??
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 11 Mar 11 at 11:07
What an odd phone interview.

Every question until the last just required a yes/no answer and only confirmed information the online application had already asked. The final question was about working in teams plus why I'd applied for the census job... the guy chopped me off after around 20sec into each answer before I'd fully explained either point. Seems they were working to a very tight script.

He also said at the start that he wasn't in a position to answer any questions I had.... and I'd several on the pad.

Weird.
Fenlander.

The classroom training was really a bit if a waste if time in reality - Some role play, tea no biscuits sums it up. As a side issue they also confirm your identity via Passport, Utility Bill and NI number - so I guess it's the best way of "testing" the candidate's credentials as all the previous recruitment elements are by phone and web. I doubt you can "fail" the actual classroom element unless you're a complete ninny.

Thanks PU. At what stage can you speak to someone who will answer questions... the sort of thing you might ask in a real interview? I wanted to know who decides on actual hours, use of car & mileage rates etc.
Have you phoned them to ask ?

0845 304 0960

You set your own hours within the framework of the role and your local manager. Common sense for me as a collector is that evenings and weekends are best...
 Census jobs available - Boxsterboy
A Census form was addressed and delivered to Mrs BB's work. Her building was purpose-built commercial, and has been commercial ever since.

It is compulsory to complete the census and "you may face a fine if you don't". But there is nowhere on the form to say "You cocked up Big Brother" or some such.

Is that what's known as Catch 22?
Remember the rules were made up by a desk jockey.

At the last census - If it has a roof on it it is habitable a form has to be completed.
Land is so very expensive in Elmbridge that there were so many houses being knocked down and mini mansions being constructed.
Had to deliver to the foreman or anyone who could speak English.
Guess what - the form did not get actioned so it got flagged up for follow up.
I earned a pretty penny going back and back again trying to get a completed form before finally the reality was accepted by the boss man and the process short circuited.
Just one example of the real world out there mr desk jockey.
 Census jobs available - Roger.
I would hope that I am between addresses on census night!
Some of the questions are, IMO, gross invasions of privacy. I would not mind if the census was just a head count, but I do NOT trust the "Guvmint" with proper use of my personal details.
My life belongs to me, not the blooming busybodies who think that the State is the master, not the servant, of us all.
Libertarianism is good! Less government is good!
What shall I do about question 17?

Shall I answer it in Welsh?

What do you census chappies think?
Answer it in Welsh - I thought it was blank over Offa's dyke.
;-)
It's not clear what the earliest is that you can submit the completed census. All I could find was "Please submit or return your completed questionnaire before, on or after this date.".

Census jobs available - nyx2k
i havent had a census form yet so maybe theyve forgotten about my little hamlet in the sticks
>> i havent had a census form yet ............

help.census.gov.uk/england/help/help-and-information/Gettingstarted/Requestneworextraquestionnaires/
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 17 Mar 11 at 18:34
Well 14 days since my phone interview and nothing heard... guess I didn't make the cut. Odd if it was decided on the yes/no phone interview.

Anyway I'll miss being part of the army..

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369781/Census-police-chase-late-form-fillers-operation-costing-hundreds-millions-pounds.html
Finally received a mail today that rules me out of the process... so with just a tinge of sadness I completed our own census form today as a normal member of the public.

At least I can have the next 5wks mowing lawns and cutting hedges without the distraction of paid work.

Good luck to those doing the jobs... remember sunglasses off before they open the door and no looking through the letterbox!

BTW used tap water on the census envelope gum to avoid the dna database.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 28 Mar 11 at 14:46
 Census jobs available - Perky Penguin
Mine was in the post back to Nosey Central 15 minutes after I got it, over 2 weeks ago. I told them who I was and how many people lived in the house plus how many rooms and answered all other questions with a random selection of ticks in boxes re qualifications and work prospects and the other irrelevant guff!
 Census jobs available - Alanovich
PP, are you also given to complaining about lack of/poor NHS services, over subscribed schools, inability of local authorities to get anything right, etc etc?

If so, then your census submission is part of the problem. A tiny part, but still a part.
 Census jobs available - Perky Penguin
No I am totally satisfied with ALL aspects of the NHS and my local Council. Questions about my education levels and whether I am or am not seeking work and am or am not free to take up work if offered are irrelevant and intrusive. I aswered questions relevant to the provision of SERVICES and messed about with the ones that didn't matter.

Om a lighter note, on the envelope thread, there is discussion about how to describe one's job. Moons ago one was required to state an occupation to be put on one's passport. A number of us had a competition over time, to see what the most unlikely job was that we could claim and get onto a passport was "Newt Strangler"!!!!
..."Newt Strangler"!!!!...

There's an American politician whose first name is Newt.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_Gingrich

Sounds odd until you learn it's a shortened form of 'Newton'.

I often wondered about that - another gap in knowledge filled ! Probably a word not in common usage in the USA, it does have a bit of a British ring to it.
Well, been hard at it since last Thursday - A handy iPhone app shows the foot mileage I've undertaken - nearly 7 miles on Thursday, 10 on Friday and 12 today....good way to keep the pounds off. Everyone I've met have been good natured - no refusals yet.
 Census jobs available - Dulwich Estate
Someone I know is doing a grotty south London patch. By all accounts it's a mixture of authority fearing 10+ non-Europeans in a single house, pit bulls, alcoholics and regular abuse. Refusals seem to outnumber form fillers about 5 to one.

From what I understand the response is very low.
>> Everyone I've met have been good natured -
>> no refusals yet.
>>

Well let's hope it gets a bit more interesting before you finish.
Had three refusniks yesterday - two too busy and a Wolfie Smith lookalike, ironically living in a new Housing Association flat so clearly a champagne anarchist. Good day today finished my workload for the first contacts, starting my re-visits tomorrow. Be much easier I now know my way around. Must applaud NavFree sat nav app for iphone - brilliant for finding those hard to find addresses.
Ah that's where you've been, wearing out the Polyveldts eh? We thought we'd offended you...
I put so much effort into appearing an upstanding member of society during my application process and a little miffed to be turned down. However I've just seen the guy doing our area... oh hell... so that's what they were looking for!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 14 Apr 11 at 20:04
I got turned down for two roles (incl team leader, which I was interviewed for by someone who I couldn't easily understand due to accent)

This thread prompted me to mail them about the third role I applied for, and apparently I'm still under consideration. The role is May onwards - not quite sure what will be left by then, maybe the job title was Census Enforcer.
 Census jobs available - Cliff Pope
>> The role is May onwards - not quite sure what
>> will be left by then,

First draft questionaire for the next census.
Wore the Polyveldts two days running (well walking) - I've enjoyed it, my colleague is a retired tax-man....! The others seem to be a mixed bag of students, I find it quite enjoyable - mind you it was hard work yesterday, I like talking to people and it's great for that.
I could see there would have been a chance of being given a rubbish area, a sink estate, the centre piece being a 15 story tower block festooned with union jacks hanging from windows.

>I like talking to people and it's great for that.

"you must fill out this form"

"meet my pitbull"

Some of the places I had to go included a Castle.....and the households within its walls including houses with an iconic view of a landmark bridge - Full spectrum of houses they can't give away to million pound + piles.
 Census jobs available - Alanovich
>> I could see there would have been a chance of being given a rubbish area,
>> a sink estate, the centre piece being a 15 story tower block festooned with union
>> jacks hanging from windows.

Not been to many sink estates lately, Z? It's all St George's crosses these days, not a Union Flag (bold, underlined, italic Flag) in sight.

;-)
I meant of course the cross of St George.
>> Wore the Polyveldts two days running (well walking)

Well really! Does nothing ever sink in? Never, ever, except in cases of dire emergency should the same shoes be worn on consecutive days. Preferably not more than twice a week. It's quite simply unhygienic. Bacteria city man! Be scolded and please don't let it happen again. Your feet will take on the appearance and odour of rotting mackerel ere long if you persist with that malarky. Two days running indeed. Never heard the like. No wonder the country's in the state it's in. Outrageous. A representative of Her Majesty's Government too...

Have to say I'm quite taken aback...

NURSE!..my pills...?
Back to the my trusty vibram soled shoes tomorrow. They look a bit rough but are waterproof and can take the miles - don't plan to walk much tomorrow - doing a half day to finish off my hours which includes an hour with my "manager" and some mopping up of addresses in the sticks. CAB in the morning and census in the afternoon - three cans of Waitrose Belgian larger in the fridge (tested one earlier) - bike out on Saturday or Sunday.
 Census jobs available - Dave_
>> Never, ever ... should the same shoes be worn on consecutive days

You probably won't want to swab my trainers then....
He should sniff my Nike Lunarfly with orthotic insoles. Really sweet smelling!

www.kicks-crew.com/products_details.php?pid=1038
Oh dear. Trainers...entire suitable of course for, well, training I suppose...but as shoes?

NURSE!...
Reassuringly I binned my last couple of pairs of trainers before moving house, along with my Crocs canvas shoes (not the National Health issue version)

BTW the only reason I did this Census thing was to prove to myself I could do it, it was conscious choice to do the coal-face thing, I was shattered last night (on my chin strap as they say in the military) - but today was good. I planned the route a bit better than previously. The sheets we get are a mish mash - with streets mixed up together in a random way and you either spend a couple of hours mapping your route or end up up wandering around in chaotic way. The re-visits are going to be easier as there are less of them now and I know exactly where the houses are. A loud raspberry to those places with no name or number plates. Sat Nav and wheelie bins are your friends ! The whole thing has been therapeutic - I finished work still in a daze after everything that happened and I needed to re-boot my work ethic thing. This has forced me to concentrate and has worked well for me and I won't "diss" it.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 14 Apr 11 at 22:45
What else do you wear with cargo pants?
,,,brown nubuck boots, commando sole preferably. A derby lace style is best but you can get away with a latchet or jodphur if care is taken not to choose too continental a last...
Humph - this is N Wales and I don't want to end up being burnt as a witch. No cargo pants, but I have ditched the suit trousers, shirt and tie and reverted to a nice brown pair of slacks with a nice line in casual shirts, and have a pair of nubuck commando soled shoes in a (distressed) tan on stand by which have had a lace upgrade tonight.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 14 Apr 11 at 22:51
I dont have any brown boots!

I have a pair of desert boots, and a pair of Magnum Classic Cen boots, but none in brown!
I sent off my passport and driving licence with my census form. Any idea when I might get them back??
Our area census guy has bleached jeans, canvas bomber jacket, t-shirt and trainers... plus interesting hair.
 Census jobs available - rtj70
;-) As if you'd do that.
Just received an email (yes, on a Bank Holiday!) to tell me that my "application has been placed on the reserve list.", and goes on to tell me that it is highly likely that an opportunity will become available. There are a number of actions I need to complete including 3 hours online raining, and my "chances of receiving a conditional offer will be increased if you complete the above actions as quickly as possible".

Apparently I'll get paid for the training time if (and only if) I am offered a job.

The role I applied for was CCS Interviewer, for 30 days between 9 May and 10 June @ £8.02 ph plus a £75 completion bonus. 25 hours per week for two weeks, 15 for the next week or so then the holiday(!!). I think the role is following up why people haven't submitted their return.

As it will affect my dole, and my other, more serious, job hunting activities, I'm going to have to think whether it's really worthwhile. I applied as a bit of a laugh, but I also quite like "doing my bit".
They are working Bank Holidays and weekends - I get daily e-mailed updates from them every morning, Sundays included....I wasn't entitled to dole so it doesn't affect me.

The only reason I can now think of doing it now are to keep my up to date and to diversify it.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 25 Apr 11 at 17:45
>>>As it will affect my dole, and my other, more serious, job hunting activities, I'm going to have to think whether it's really worthwhile.

As I mentioned some way above I got to the same stage as you Smokie before I was finally turned down. I did rather get the impression they were treating it as if I was hanging on a hook just waiting for the call. They still had me hanging on the Tuesday before a planned start of the following Monday.

Like you I was close to calling it a day anyway because everyone needs some respect for the things they might have planned when the notice is so short.
Yesterday I got a job offer - 6/7 month contract, based in Middlesbrough.

So I won't be doing the census job, thankfully :-)
...6/7 month contract, based in Middlesbrough...

Well done.

Parts of 'boro are very run down, so you need to be careful where you stay.

Commuter belt Surrey it aint.

Contract extended - oh great.
>> Contract extended - oh great.

So you get paid more money for failure to get them signed off?
No new workloads. My own patches have performance in the 90s. Not that there's a performance thing but one has to benchmark oneself. Done quite well, even if I say so myself, I am hideously bored by the thing by now though.
Tell me PU, did the phrase "plumley bricks" raise its ugly head anywhere in your role?
No it hasn't but....I do remember that a chum was involved in some work (Civil Service type) who was investigating the use of some software (trade name escapes me....Acorn maybe ??) that chopped the country up into demographics on behalf of the Home Office. Rings a bell that. Beauty of what I do now is I'm wound up like a clockwork mouse and pointed in a particular direction. I don't need to think to deeply about it. Which is what I wanted I suppose.
Just been offered more work - really hard decision......
Company clipboard and Bic with this one?
I was thinking of buying the clipboard - you know well run in, known history and that...! I'm using a stolen pen from the local council.
Tell them no - it is interfering with your moderating commitments! :)

Why more work? Is the whole process not going to plan for them?

Lost count.
Makes you think - I made headway in my latest patch which was graded as "difficult" - and it was. Mind you had a laugh along the way.
Saw my first two busybodies today as I wandered down to the polling station.

Is it policy to go around in pairs?

Perhaps this is a tougher area than I thought. :)
Not where I am - had a discussion around lone working today actually. I'm happier on my own than having to drag some lard bucket around with me.
I missed out the word "whinging" from that statement.
As a matter of interest, do you find that most "non-returners" are aggressive, or friendly? Or is it simply that you can never find them at home?
Had zero aggression in a month. Had one that obviously was a Wolfie Smith type person. Had three refusals in a month (all what are described as soft refusals) the area I know work is mainly social housing with some tough cookies, I've come down from 160 out of a 1000 + households - non returns to less than 20 today. Some outright lying gits as well. There's a myriad of reasons people give for not filling. The perceived complexity of the form is a genuine one.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Fri 6 May 11 at 08:40
Has anyone come out and claimed "I cant read or write", whats the answer to that one?

Have you had "My dog ate it" yet?

>> Saw my first two busybodies today as I wandered down to the polling station.
>>
>> Is it policy to go around in pairs?
>>
I did my stint as a poll clerk yesterday and often reminded the public that they can ignore the same sort of busybodies "demanding" poll cards.
An entertaining day meeting and greeting all the worthies.
It was very noticeable that there were very few younger voters. Perhaps they were the significant number of postal voters.
Today I am off to the AV counting so another dose of the public right in my face for the whole shift. I know it is their right but these are the elite of busybodies and there is little you can say in response. It is strange sitting at a table with a. n. other from two feet away, literally in your face, monitoring your every move.
>> I did my stint as a poll clerk yesterday
>>

Where did you do it henry, may I ask?
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 6 May 11 at 10:09
henry,

Well done for volunteering for what is a very important job.

I was pleased to see three people at the table in my local polling station - well staffed, and a tea tray well stocked with biscuits.

Good luck with the count, there shouldn't be too much pressure because I think it will soon become clear to the pro-AV lot that they've taken a hiding.

There are guidelines as to where the interested parties can stand while you count, and what they can and cannot do.

I would take no garbage from them whatsoever, you are doing the proper job, they are only there for self-interest.

Let the returning officer sort it out - that's what he's there for.

Census chasing is less important, but I'm sure PU knows I'm only funning by calling them busybodies.

Census chasing is less important

Depends on where you live. If you live in a posh area you may well be right. However if you lived on a "deprived" ward Census Data is essential to the groups working to improve it, where returns are traditionally low any way. Won't make headline news in the Daily Mail (only in a negative sense) but important enough for some decent people that live and work in such areas who try hard to make a difference, I've met a lot of decent people doing this work.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Fri 6 May 11 at 16:19
The problem is in many "deprived areas many see it as "snooping" which indicates they have something to hide. Cash in hand jobs and claiming benefits is the usual one.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 May 11 at 16:20
I understand that Zero - There is a hardcore of "refuseniks" where I last worked, but a 92% return rate (on average in five "zones") on average - none below 88% was an exceptional return rate for this area. That was down to foot slogging by collectors - persuading and helping people fill out their forms. There are bandits and fraudsters in all strata of society ! I have to say I experienced no aggression (probably get my head kicked in and my Government Property pen nicked tomorrow), little or no abuse and as I said I met genuine people who's life is a permanent battle against various types of authorities. I met the local Councillor there yesterday who again works hard for her ward and was very supportive of the Census as in realpolitik she knows that this data brings in the money. I met all types including drug users who were very open about their habits....not one refusal on a 1000 household site....

I re-issued dozens of forms following various dog related incidents !
Last edited by: Pugugly on Fri 6 May 11 at 16:43
...Census chasing is less important...

By that I meant the few missing won't have a big impression on the overall 'picture of Britain', so the value of the census is barely diminished.

An election count needs to be spot on in all respects, if possible.

>>henry, Well done for volunteering for what is a very important job.

Just another low-paid civil servant.

As I was (and still am for a couple of days) - I was shocked as to how low the money was for the effort expended. Anyway it was never about the money for me - but it paid the bike insurance with enough for at least one decent holiday.
>> As I was (and still am for a couple of days) - I was shocked
>> as to how low the money was for the effort expended.

When I first applied, the money seemed average. Then I read between the lines in the various suitability tests hinting at how much you were expected to put in, and I reckoned it was way below the minimum hourly wage.
Paid under deduction of PAYE?

Does it manage to be more than the minimum wage?
Just about - I was thinking about this and people survive on a lot less than this in the real world, but the main reason I did it was to try to re-grasp the work thing in my head. That worked, I was motivated and challenged and I needed that after all that has happened. In lots of ways I am very lucky....
>> I did my stint as a poll clerk yesterday
>>
>> Where did you do it henry, may I ask?
>>
Each time it has been within a couple of miles from home.

Hours are approx 0600 ish to 2030 ish on site all day and then some go on to do the count til....0200 ....04000 ish but that is another job / pay.

I can give you more info if you fancy a punt at it.

>> >> Where did you do it henry, may I ask?
>> >>
>> Each time it has been within a couple of miles from home.
>>

I did the count in Esher a few years ago. One of the more boring events in my life, IIRC.
> I did the count in Esher a few years ago. One of the more boring events in my life, IIRC.
>>
Just back from the AV count at Sandown. Triple boring cos we had to recount thrice to get our totals right.

The other counts there finished at 04:30 this morning due to many rechecks.
I was not there but I guess there were a lot of not very happy bunnies :-)

Like a fool I've just signed up for another month's work as an interviewer....did the e-learning and assessment last night - keeps me off the streets...!
...keeps me off the streets...

Metaphorically speaking, literally speaking, it keeps you on them.

To be serious for a moment, if we are to have a census, it ought to be as accurate as possible, so you are doing a worthwhile job.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 8 May 11 at 10:00
Well I feel that three of us on one patch did a good job - we improved by quite a margin on the 2001 return percentage. The Census is vital for this ward as it has priority spending on it from the WAG, UK government and Europe and the Census data is a useful tool for those that work to improve it. Not sure about this next element though, I'll keep my options open until I digitally sign on the dotted line.
 Census jobs available - bathtub tom
Pugugly, the Anglesey street walker.

Could be useful if you ever move south to Tiger Bay. ;>)
Started the new role today - and it partly explains iffy's posting - we're doubled up on this one, checking properties on specific post-codes - involves knocking on doors, drinking tea etc !
Well I finished off with them two weeks ago -Been good employers, all my claims were processed on time and I netted near enough 2.8k from them. I enjoyed most of it, not many cross words with the punters at all, some laughs and met some nice people and some very hard workers...in particular one guy who I respected and admired in his fight to feed, house and clothe his family after being made redundant from a skilled job. Learnt a lot about life, which was the object of the whole thing.
Latest Forum Posts