Non-motoring > Italian Lakes. Where to stay Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 8

Italian Lakes. Where to stay - legacylad
My dear old Mum is getting on a bit, and assumed that foreign holidays were out of the question.
However, I had a brainwave of taking her to Italy for a week next Spring, where she has enjoyed previous holidays when younger.
Can anyone recommend a lake/town area which is not too commercial. I have no experience of this part of the world, and expect to take her on the odd lake cruise, and leave her sitting in some nice hotel gardens whilst I pop up a nearby hill!!
Thanks in advance
 Italian Lakes. Where to stay - Bagpuss
Lake Garda is a great part of the world for a holiday. You're spoilt for choice there really, the enormous 19th century Grand Hotel in Gardone Riviera on the west coast basks in slowly crumbling glory which might appeal to your Mum. Alternatively the peninsula of Sirmione is a bit livelier but in an Italian laid back sort of way. Some great driving roads around the lake by the way.
 Italian Lakes. Where to stay - Bellboy
leave it as late spring as you can because it can be cold and windy there but its all nice
remember the further north then the longer travel times to places like verona
 Italian Lakes. Where to stay - FocalPoint
We did Lakes Maggiore, Lugano and Como a few years ago. They are all absolutely lovely.

If it's boat trips you're after, I would recommend Lake Maggiore, staying at in or near Baveno and taking a boat from there to Isola Bella (a small island in the lake), which is well worth a visit; it has a wonderful palazzo and gardens next to a little village.

Alternatively, there is the slightly more touristy but still very attractive Lake Como. Here a good place to stay is Menaggio, from where you can go across the lake by boat to the villages of Varenna and Bellagio. Actually, I quite liked Como itself, but it is a large, busy, bustling place which may not be to everyone's liking.

Just south of Cadenabbia (on the west shore of Lake Como) is the must-see Villa Carlotta, which is also reachable by boat and in fact this is the best way to visit it, as you see the full glory of its architecture (the coast road is just too close to it), mirrored in the water if you're lucky.

My main memory of that holiday is lovely, lovely pizzas, with thin, crispy bases, totally unlike the glutinous mess that we so often have to put up with over here.
 Italian Lakes. Where to stay - Zero
Lake Garda - Malcesine.

I know a couple of good hotels there I will sort them out if you want them - Ideal for aged mothers, you get free cake and tea in the afternoon.
 Italian Lakes. Where to stay - Perky Penguin
I am 100% with Zero - Malcesine is delightful. A charming little town with a small harbour and good level walks along the lake edge. If your mother has a head for heights and you have a sat nav to find it you might both like this hotel. It is on the West bank so gets the sun ealier in the morning. I was there in May and it was warm enough but snow on the mountain tops - very scenic.

www.hotellucia.it/hotel-lake-garda-italy/Hotel.html
 Italian Lakes. Where to stay - legacylad
Many thanks for all your kind replies.
We shall be on some kind of package deal, and I do not intend to hire a car whilst there....maybe if I return with SWMBO when we buy the DBS Volante we shall have leisurely drives then!
level walking is good, as are nice gardens for her to sit in, and interesting places to visit by boat. My better half does ot have sufficient hols to accompany us, so we shall have to bite the bullet and pay single supplements.
Malcesine looks ideal. Some decent mountain hiking for me and ferry's to a variety of places. I shall consider the options in the Neilson Lakes & Mountains brochure, and on previous advice here, aim to travel early June.
ps. Thanks for the hotel link PP.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 10:16
 Italian Lakes. Where to stay - rtj70
We stayed in a nice family run hotel (up a hill mind) overlooking Lake Como. It was at Bellagio. It was a really nice place so definitely visit the Italian Lakes.

We went in August and because of the climate, it was hot during the day (but not too hot) and never hot in the evenings. It cooled right down. We thought we might have a problem without aircon and we would never have needed it.

So I wouldn't worry too much about going later because it won't get too hot - although prices might go up.

Don't hire a car if travelling near Milan is my advice though. The drivers are a little bit scary to be quite honest.
 Italian Lakes. Where to stay - Ambo
Bellagio is lovely but a bit isolated wihtout a car. It is an excellent place for boat trips but so is Menaggio, on the opposite side and with frequent buses up and down that shore. There is a lovely, shaded town promemade. I recommend the Hotel Grand (not Grand Hotel), right on the water (with its own landing stage for some trips) and with a big ferry terminal next door. It has a "Grand" air but is quite reasonable nowadays. Meals are light but adequate and well presented in the main dining room, which is open to the lawns in good weather. Avoid the "luxury" restaurant which offers the same food but at a much higher price.

We had a large double en suite room. Breakfast can be served in the room at no extra cost. Rooms facing the lake are more expensive. Avoid "side lake view" rooms as there is only one side open to daylight and it overlooks the terminal, whose car park is used to run scooter races at night by noisy "ragazzi".

In general, watch your change and don't imagine that the smart nautical uniforms of ferry ticket office staff mean they can be trusted to get it right.

The hotel is about an hour from Milan for scheduled flights. Charter flights go to Verona where there is a scrum of passengers for variois destination s and the trip to Menaggio takes several hours, too mch for an older person.
Latest Forum Posts