Non-motoring > What's going on ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 60

What's going on ? - Ted

Our local free newspaper arrived this afternoon and, after a quick look through it, I realised that something was missing.

I do feel traumatised but I've recovered my composture sufficiently, after several cups of tea, to feel able to mention it to you.
I'm sorry if this will come as a shock and those of a nervous disposition should, perhaps, not read on.

The simple fact is that there was no photograph of Cheryl Cole in it....not even a mention.
I looked through the paper again in disbelief, but I'm sure I'm right.

Every other paper I'v seen since, and including , Sunday has pictured or mentioned her...what's happened with our Reporter ? Do they not want to sell more copies......Oh no, of course it's free !

Sarcastic mode off !

Ted
 What's going on ? - R.P.
Obviously the Cole mine has been closed.
 What's going on ? - madf
Who is Cheyrl Cole?
 What's going on ? - bathtub tom
I see a national newspaper didn't mention Princess Diana had died.
 What's going on ? - CGNorwich
Has she?
 What's going on ? - Skoda
I keep thinking Princess Di was the unfortunate doorstep gun victim and then i remember that was Jill Dando. Have no idea why i mix her up.
 What's going on ? - Bigtee
15 years back it was the Spice girls every one of the was in the blinking press & Beckhams wife victoria she was never out of it.

Cheryl Cole does nowt for me too skinney although i wouldn't kick her out of bed should she feel the need to get in it.!!
 What's going on ? - MD
Why would she get in bed with you. You're off the rails. :o(
 What's going on ? - Tooslow
I can help you with this one Ted. Read it again and watch out for references to Cheryl Tweedy. I heard this name on the radio and I had a vague "I know this" sort of feeling but I couldn't get past "Chickens go in, pies come out" for some time.

John
 What's going on ? - R.P.
I was rather confused when John Humphreys said that Jordan was a sex symbol.
 What's going on ? - Iffy
...I was rather confused when John Humphreys said that Jordan was a sex symbol...

So was he, probably.

What's going on ? - R.P.
I thought Jordan was a Middle East country and a trifle sandy to-boot.
 What's going on ? - MD
>> and a trifle sandy to-boot.
>>
Lord that would scratch the members.
 What's going on ? - Bagpuss
Not being subject to UK Tabloid Television I also struggle when these "celebrities" are mentioned. Until a few weeks back, Jordan to me was a defunct Formula 1 team and a noisy Irishman.
 What's going on ? - R.P.
Even more shockingly I understand that there are pictures of a naked pregnant Jordan on the net - what you been up yo Eddy ?
 What's going on ? - Iffy
There is a genuinely good-looking woman connected to the country of Jordan.

Queen Noor: tinyurl.com/35sc6bc
 What's going on ? - R.P.
Well I knew about her though...
 What's going on ? - Ted

Fit as a seed merchant's budgie.....and she's got the bankroll to go with it !

Ted
 What's going on ? - R.P.
I'd be tempted to think a seed merchant's budgie would be a tubby little number..
 What's going on ? - Zero
Nothing fit about a butchers dog either
 What's going on ? - R.P.
I was thinking that as I typed..
 What's going on ? - Kevin
>I was thinking that as I typed.

Have you tried feeding your springers on salad?
Last edited by: Kevin on Wed 10 Nov 10 at 22:03
 What's going on ? - R.P.
He likes his celery but draws the line at cous-cous
 What's going on ? - Kevin
>Nothing fit about a butchers dog either

Fitter than a vegan's dog I'll bet.
 What's going on ? - Dave_
It's spreading... The Coalville and Whitwick Mail this week has pictures of Pixie Lott, Armstrong and Miller and Take That, but no Ms Cole! What to do?
 What's going on ? - swiss tony
>> and Take That, but no Ms Cole! What to do?
>>
Cheer!
maybe Im on my own here, but I can't stand her.

its her voice - I don't mind most accents, including those from the north-east, but her voice makes me want to vomit - its just awful!

What's going on ? - R.P.
Did you see (the awful) James Blunt story about his conversation with Cher as he related it on HIGNFY ?
 What's going on ? - swiss tony
Oi, I said CHEER not Cher! ;-)
 What's going on ? - R.P.
Speak oop lad ! I'm pleased to add her to my list of unknowns !
Last edited by: Pugugly on Wed 10 Nov 10 at 22:17
 What's going on ? - R.P.
I am however aware of TinyTemper the DJ !
 What's going on ? - Dave_
That would be Tinie Tempah, the vocalist and songwriter...? ;)

(source: two children under the age of 13)

I'm slightly afraid to admit here, I actually quite like some of his work.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Wed 10 Nov 10 at 23:10
 What's going on ? - R.P.
That's the dude kiddo - apparently he was addressing the Oxford Union this week.
 What's going on ? - R.P.
This thread should be re-titled "What's going down ?" with an option on "daddy oh" !
 What's going on ? - Fenlander
>>>I'm slightly afraid to admit here, I actually quite like some of his work.

Wouldn't worry Dave... I'm a lot older than you and some of my most recent gigs seen were Pendulum, Paloma Faith, Ellie Goulding, KT Tunstall, Little Boots, Goldfrapp... and the Chuckle Brothers of course.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 07:42
 What's going on ? - BiggerBadderDave
To me, to you, to me, to you...
 What's going on ? - helicopter
Glad to see we're all Err 'down with the kids' ..........
>>>To me, to you, to me, to you...

Yes there was a bit of that... and the front few rows got very wet from those water blaster guns. Thank goodness we took safe seats out of range in the balcony.
 What's going on ? - Roger.
Who is Pixie Lott and the rest of the motley crew you mentione3d?
Pixie Lott...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYo_Kk6XDVI

Those of a certain age please take all medication before watching !
 What's going on ? - Roger.
Gordon Bennett!
 What's going on ? - SteelSpark
>> The simple fact is that there was no photograph of Cheryl Cole in it....not even
>> a mention.
>> I looked through the paper again in disbelief, but I'm sure I'm right.

Calm down Ted. I can explain this, and can also tell you how to get your regular fix of Cheryl. When walking the aisle of our local corner shop today, I spotted a magazine...yes, a whole magazine...dedicated to the girl, with the very clever title of "Cheryl".

Obviously the powers that be have realised that there are just too many pictures of, stories about, and opinions from our Cheryl, which desperately need to be circulated to the world, that she needs a whole magazine.

No doubt, over the next few weeks, we will also see magazines called "Katie", "Colleen", "Charlotte" and "Kerry"...which I think should just about cover it. On the plus side, that will recoup 75% of current magazine/newspaper space, which can then be used for...er....
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 14:21
SS you are displaying a rather detailed understanding of these *girls*.
 What's going on ? - Armel Coussine
I know who Cheryl Cole is: a footballer's wife or ex-wife, coarse-featured but quite handsome, and with a fetching Geordie accent. I've heard of Lady Gaga because my granddaughters, still children, are great admirers (can't understand why though). I neither know nor care who all these other people are. Most modern pop music is despicable boring crap anyway. If not all of it.

You can't blame the musicians though. The music industry is dominated by boring, tasteless, malevolent philistine sharks interested only in money and oats. It was always a bit like that.
>>>Most modern pop music is despicable boring crap anyway. If not all of it.

Hmm that's what my grandparents would have said of rock and roll, and my parents of the 60s/70s music I liked.

There are many talented modern musicians and songwriters quietly doing their own thing... sometimes even raising their heads above the fence into the commercial chart arena.

Music is about entertainment and there is plenty of credible entertainment in *pop*.
>> that's what my grandparents would have said of rock and roll,

Yes, there is an age element here. But I am not a run-of-the-mill grandparent where this sort of thing is concerned. I don't think, and never did, that rhythmic music or radical jazz is just a clamour, for example. I loved all kinds of jazz from an early age and quite liked some fifties Tin Pan Alley efforts. An African musician who was extremely well known and in some ways notorious was a personal friend of mine when still alive. A musical about him is playing in London after a Broadway run. It looks to me a bit of a travesty and I don't fancy going to it.

But I do like quality and I am not interested any more in adolescent angst (which has produced such a lot of doleful rubbish). Don't forget that age brings better taste and finer discernment, as well as curmudgeonly attitudes and slight deafness. Speaking of which, the young in recent times damaged their hearing with early personal tape players, just as the rest of us did sitting too close to speakers at concerts and in night clubs.
Agree with all that AC. I've enjoyed music of most *modern* types since 11yrs old and still do on a daily basis.

Had our kids late so now find myself exposed to all their choices. I try and enjoy anything unless it's obviously dreadful and am very wary of knocking modern or pop music because it is the music of their time.

Was yout friend Fela Kuti as in... www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMJzL0yiRuQ

If so you were luck to know him.
>> If so you were luck to know him.

Lucky and honoured. We were pretty much the same age and hit it off from the start. Of course a lot of his associates wondered what he saw in me, and quite a few of my friends thoroughly disapproved of him. Funny things, friendships.

I published a sort of explanatory obituary of Fela not long after he died. It's far too long to post but I've got it if anyone's interested (of those I have met here and in HJ who have seen it, none has had a word to say about it. I'm not sure why but it may be that Lagos seems a bit like another planet to most people and they don't really twig. You can't blame them, believe me).
You only have to let that track on youtube flow over you to know the guy worth listening to. I know nothing of African music but now and again Jools Holland has an African artist on of real quality. Of course I've never heard of them before but enjoy the music all the same.

Dad worked in/around Lagos (engineering) for a few years so I know all his stories of vast cultural differences to here.

I would genuinely like to read your article on Fela. If it's not linked online please ask a mod for my e.mail... or forward it through them if you would prefer I didn't get to know yours. Thanks.... you will get feedback!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 16:15
>> the guy worth listening to.

You can say that again. He was a very considerable singer, often inspired songwriter and brilliant, highly successful bandleader. One of the most talented individuals I have met, and I have actually met quite a few.

Note the word bandleader. Fela did develop a new kind of music, a sort of jazz-African fusion, called Afro-Beat. But the highly original sound he brought into being, with much effort, was not his own unaided doing, as he knew perfectly well. Others, some of them people whose names I never caught, at least one other well-known in the West, were involved from the beginning. Africa 70, then Egypt 80, names I didn't think much of, was a simply fabulous orchestra when in the mood in the right venue. I had the great good fortune to hear quite a lot of this wonderful overbearing stuff close up at its very best. No recording that I have heard does it real justice, although many are still terrific.

Of course some of the lyrics caused offence in high places, as they were meant to, and there were other reasons why Fela, whose family was well known as left-wing and sometimes contentious (although able and well-connected), got into trouble, and now has strange, baroque political fantasies spun around him.

He's been dead for 13 years now but I still feel a bit guilty when I seem to cast doubt on what so many fans believe. I miss the old boy. We had some wonderful, noisy, generally over-the-top arguments, and many more relaxed conversations about more or less everything. Each of us knew stuff the other didn't know. He always treated me in princely fashion (and I use the word after due consideration). Mythologising works have already been published. I know better though, and the real truth is tastier although less sensational.

I have been dithering about whether to post this. It's a bit private in a way, a bit delicate. But none of the above looks too shameful or pseud's corner. One just has to hope people understand English.
 What's going on ? - R.P.
AC, Fenlander you have mail from my personal account (AlfieP).
Thanks PU.
Thanks for posting AC. English understood OK.

If there is a longer version you care to share you now have my mail address.
 What's going on ? - SteelSpark
>> SS you are displaying a rather detailed understanding of these *girls*.

I blame my wife, and the celebrity laden magazines she leaves all over the house! :)
 Sup? - Zero
Can we rename this thread please, to be a little more contemporary?
 Sup? - R.P.
Yo Bro...
 Sup? - Dave_
>>Most modern pop music is despicable boring crap anyway. If not all of it.

That's what pretty much everyone, young and old, thinks of the tunes I listen to by choice... Early 90s drum'n'bass a.k.a. "rave" music. Each to their own...

I'm impressed Fenlander has seen Pendulum, I don't suppose he'd like to swap with me next month when my girls and I are due to see JLS? (shudder)
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 22:46
 Sup? - Fenlander
Dave Pendulum aren't exactly my core musical interest but always been impressed by them live at festivals on TV. So when they announced a warm-up gig at Cambridge getting ready for the 2010 Reading & Leeds festival I joined the scramble for tickets.

A truly fantastic show. I viewed from the comparative safety of the balcony so missed out on the swirling bouncing crowds below. Nothing could have prepared me for the most penetrating bass notes I've heard at any gig. My jaws were tingling, my bowels and other organs vibrating and on one track the whole balcony shook as if demolition contractors had been called in. The normally cool air in the place became warm and moisture laden from the sweaty folks dancing below.

Probably the most telling thing though was after the last encore the band took their applause at the front of the stage and everyone in the balcony was standing applauding... never seen that before at The Cambridge Corn Exchange.

Very neat stage layout and stunning crisp back projection graphics too. Whatever music you like (well as long as it's not 100% classical) they're worth seeing once.

Had to take my eldest girl to JLS twice but didn't have to go in myself. The last time they played at the Peterborough embankment the amount of teen girls leaving the event over the river bridge caused the police to close that main route into town from the south. It was some sight seeing thousands of girls surging out of town as if in some major evacuation disaster movie.

I did have to sit through a Saturdays concert once though :-)

Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 12 Nov 10 at 00:55
 Sup? - Iffy
...I'm impressed Fenlander has seen Pendulum...

The pair of you sound to me like the oldest swingers in town.

Why don't you try some Perry Como?

That's what I call proper music. :)
 Sup? - Pat
A truly Magic Moment Iffy?

Pat
 Sup? - Fenlander
>>>The pair of you sound to me like the oldest swingers in town.

I thought Dave was a relative youngster?
 Sup? - Fenlander
>>>Why don't you try some Perry Como?

As for Perry Como....

20yrs ago we lived in a semi next door to the nicest 85yr old lady you would ever meet. But..... she was a little hard of hearing... she loved Perry Como... and she had a record player.

Most days our adjoining sitting room was treated to a Perry Como assault as she dusted round.

Give me Pendulum any day.
Latest Forum Posts