Non-motoring > Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 57

Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Iffy
Falkirk Bairn mentioned in a post earlier this week he is starting chemotherapy on Friday.

I thought we could have a best wishes thread, which is also a chance to tell a few encouraging stories for those that have them to tell.

My brother had chemo many years ago.

I imagine it wasn't very pleasant at the time, but he has since made a full recovery - and his hair never did fall out.

I've not quizzed him in-depth, but I don't think he even has to go back for check-ups any more, and he certainly doesn't take tablets or any medication.

While it would be wrong to say chemo works for everyone, it worked a treat for my older brother.

So best wishes, FB, I'm sure there's every chance of a positive outcome.

Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Redviper
Best Wishes FB

My Mam went through it, and got through it..........and im sure you will too
Last edited by: Redviper on Wed 10 Nov 10 at 16:46
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - madf
Best wishes FB.

My BIL recovered very well from it, my mother sadly not.

Hope you'll be better soon..
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - RattleandSmoke
Many people do recover from it :). Good luck and I hope it goes well. It is amazing how much better they have got even in the past five years.

Keeping positive is all you can do really :).
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Pat
Very best wishes from me FB, Ian has had two long sessions five years apart and is now clear for the second time ( fingers crossed).
It wasn't pleasant, and I have so much respect for the way he handled it.
He puts it down to my constant 'to do' lists!
Try and keep life as 'normal' as possible and you're always welcome to come and have a moan on here:)

Pat
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Armel Coussine
Stay calm FB. They are getting better and better at this stuff. It often works.

Best to you.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Old Navy
All the best FB, I hope to hear of a positive outcome in due course.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Bromptonaut
Close family friend was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 yrs ago. Surgery was followed by chemo. She was very weak with it and suffered usual hair loss etc. Recovery was quite slow but she's now pretty much the lady we've always known. regarded as pretty much of checks now.

And

Just about to go out and meet a mate. Her sister's had a three episodes of Chemo for different cancers. Been a long battle but she's now got a full mane again (both she and sis have BIG hair) and is back to near normality.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 10 Nov 10 at 17:52
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - R.P.
All the best FB.

Rob.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Robin O'Reliant
Fingers crossed for you, good luck.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Bagpuss
One of my customers had 12 months of Chemo after the doctors found a tumour in his stomach. He was given the all clear and no hair loss in his case. He's completely back to normal now but considerably less of a workaholic than he was before.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Tooslow
Good luck FB, keep us posted.

Thanks Iffy for spotting and starting the thread.

John
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - rtj70
Best of luck from me too.

Rob
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Dog
Cancer is a Bar Steward, but its not the big C it once was,
it never ceases to amaze me just how many people are beating it.

Best of luck with the treatment me ole son.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - CGNorwich
All the best FB

A patient visited his urologist for testicular cancer and expressed concern about being able to perform after the operation. The patient was also worried about the chemotherapy. The doctor said "I too had testicular cancer a few years ago. Ten days after the operation I made passionate love with my wife, and forgot all my worries. Try it and see for yourself." Three weeks later the patient returns, and thanks the doctor effusively. The doctor says "I'm glad my advice helped." The patient thanks him again, and as he's leaving says "By the way Doctor, you have a really beautiful house."
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - BobbyG
FB, if you are looking for inspiration, have a read at John Hartson's latest autobiography - very thought provoking and inspirational!
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - MD
The very best to you FB. I haven't had Chemo', but have had the C and surgery. You'll be fine. Be....POSITIVE POSITIVE POSITIVE.

Best regards...Martin.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Kevin
All the best FB, and another positive tale.

A colleague went through surgery and chemo about three years ago. Still 100% clear.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - sherlock47
Best of luck, and keep your sense of humour intact at all times. It helps to see you through the bad days and anything that helps in your relationship with the treatment staff can only work to your benefit.

Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Zero
All the best FB.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Ted

All the very best from the South Manchester branch.

My youngest daughter had a cancer in her bladder. It was only found thanks to recurring cystitis. She didn't have chemo but they nipped it out with an endoscope or summat like that.
It came back and they did it again.
It's not returned and she's had two lovely boys since.

We are all wishing you well.

Ted
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - borasport
FB - best wishes from me also
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - hawkeye
Best wishes FB.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - BiggerBadderDave
"Falkirk Bairn mentioned in a post earlier this week he is starting chemotherapy on Friday."

If it was serious, you'd be starting today.

Very best wishes for speedy recovery.

Dave
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Statistical Outlier
All the very best from me. I work with cancer patients all the time. It's tough, but it can be entirely survivable. Hang on in there. Gord.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - VxFan
Echo what others have already said.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Londoner
Best Wishes FB!
My favourite Aunt had therapy about ten years ago now. All clear since. She knows several others at her Church who have had the same happy outcome. Think positive!
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Dave_
Yes, best wishes FB.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - swiss tony
FB - my best wishes to you also - I had a scare a few years back, turned out to be nothing, but I keep checking just in case...

Mind over matter -that's the winning way in my book.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Bromptonaut
Cocked up editing my earlier post, meant to add all the best and stuff. It certainly can be beaten.

Simon.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Perky Penguin
Besy wishes FB. I think the the important things is a Positive Mental Attitude. A colleague of mine is in 100% remission from Myeloma which is, I understand not easily cured He had the best of treatment but his approach to it was what capped the success.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - L'escargot
Falkirk Bairn, best wishes for a successful outcome.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Crankcase
Yes indeed, all the very best FB.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Falkirk Bairn
Thank you all for your encouragement - I am sure all will go well it is just the unknown.
I am sure that in 6 months time I will look back and find I had coped well.

It is 10 weeks since surgery, it was a big event, and it has healed up well so the chemo is Part II.

Come May I will be looking at a new motor - budget will be enough to buy the right car.

I am looking at 2nd hand 2 year old Legend - around £16,000 or maybe a GS 300 but SWMBO has eye on something brand new and smaller - max budget is £25,000.

Once again many thanks for the good wishes.

Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Mike Hannon
Very best wishes FB. My friend in Birmingham has just finished chemo and is travelling the world again - and her hair now looks nicer than ever it did.
I'd go for the Legend...
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Clk Sec
My best wishes to you, FB.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - apm
Kindest thoughts to you FB.

Alex.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - hobby
Good luck!
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Netsur
All the best - keep looking forward to the argument with SWMBO about what to buy!
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - scousehonda
Best wishes, FB. Keep a positive mental attitude and all will be well.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Mapmaker
Ouch. Very best wishes, FB.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Avant
All the very best FB.

Mrs Scott was a redoubtable lady who ran Meals-on-Wheels in Farnham for many years. She had breast cancer at 40-odd and a breast removed.

She drove an equally redoubtable old Lanchester until well into her 90s and died at 96.

I hope you can be as confident of your recovery as you are that your new car won't be a Lanchester.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - AshT
Very best wishes FB. I have two friends who have made a full recovery from cancer; based on what they've told me I can echo what's been said above - although it can be hard stay positive, the mental attitude is half the battle.

I'm looking forward to reading about the man maths used to justify the Legend or GS 300 over Mrs FB's choices :)
Last edited by: AshT on Sat 13 Nov 10 at 06:49
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Falkirk Bairn

>> I'm looking forward to reading about the man maths used to justify the Legend or
>> GS 300 over Mrs FB's choices :)
>>
2 litre petrol gives 34 mpg
3 litre Lexus or Legend gives 24 mpg

New car costs £25K
2 yr old Lexus/Legend £16K

£9K difference buys 1500 gallons @ £6 gallon

1500 gallons foes a long way = 36,000 miles and as a 2nd polishing/weekend car only 6,000 miles per year.

After 6 years bith 2 litre and 3 litre will be worth very little.

Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Pat
You don't need to justify it at all FB.
The important thing for you now is to have something to aim for in the future, something to look forward to.

Just tell Mrs FB that the Legend will be your reward:)
I know, form a wife's point of view, she'll be delighted when you go and buy it!

Pat
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Old Navy
I agree with that Pat, I was taken seriously ill immediately after taking delivery of a new car. My OH used her car while I was in hospital with mine in the garage, not sure if it was to keep it new for me, or to maintain its resale value if it became surplus to requirements. I gave her the benefit of the doubt.:-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 13 Nov 10 at 14:12
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - WillDeBeest
I'm late to this one. Of course we wish these things weren't necessary, but they still are and the outcomes are better than ever. The anxiety must be real enough, though, so here's to a successful conclusion for you, FB - and those Lexus salesmen had better get the good coffee in.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Zero
Its time we brought this down the level that C4P normally hits.

Is your Will up to date? ;)
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - Badwolf
Very best wishes to you, FB. My thoughts are with you.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - legacylad
All the best FB.
A few years ago I ended up in the slammer, then was confined to bed at home for several weeks before finally getting outdoors on crutches. My IFA friend advised me to spend it...but not go mad. Spending £10k on my '04 330Ci was the best thing I have done in years. I never even considered Man Maths.
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - RattleandSmoke
I think after an illness like this spending money on an exciting car is a very good thing to do. There is really not much point in being sensible within reason of course.

You do need a lot of things to look forward to, it will help you get better. I hope you have a few nice holidays planned which you can look forward to as well.

>>You do need a lot of things to look forward to<<

Surely, getting well and recovering from Cancer is reward enough? or am I missing something.
>>Surely, getting well and recovering from Cancer is reward enough? or am I missing something<<

Wifey says I was insensitive there, but then I'm part Vulcan logic based whereas she is a carbon based Human ... oid.

Apologies if offended.
I think your post was spot on Fido. Seriously.
>>I think your post was spot on Fido. Seriously.<<

Good on yer Hobgoblin :)
Actually Pedigree tonight and.................I noticed that the Son-in-Law has left a bottle of 'Bengal Lancer' (Fullers) in da fridge. If he thinks that it'll still be there by next Sunday lunch he don't know his Daddy-I-L. Hey hey!!
>>Actually Pedigree tonight and<<

Ah! Marstons, Fullers, Bass, Youngs, Courage, Watney Combe & Reid, Badgers, Adnams, Batemans, Brakspear, Greene King, Harveys, Hook Norton, Ruddles, Sharp's, Shepherd Neame, Skinners, Theakstons, Ushers, Wadworths, Wychwood, Worthingtons, sigh!
 Best wishes to Falkirk Bairn - swiss tony
>> >>Surely, getting well and recovering from Cancer is reward enough? or am I missing something<<
>>
>> Wifey says I was insensitive there, but then I'm part Vulcan logic based whereas she
>> is a carbon based Human ... oid.
>>
>> Apologies if offended.
>>
Hoping I don't come over as insensitive, but yes, I agree with you Dog, recovering from Cancer is reward enough, but, having plans will help fight the illness.
Any illness, no matter how minor will drag you down if you let it - I'm a firm believer in 'mind over matter'
Latest Forum Posts