Non-motoring > Should a charger be left plugged in? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 16

Should a charger be left plugged in? - Iffy
Does it harm the battery charger for a laptop or mobile if it's left plugged in, but not charging anything?

I read somewhere it shortens the life of the charger if it's powered up on an 'open circuit'.

Mobile chargers are cheap enough, but this question has been brought into sharp focus by the purchase of the oh-so-lovely MacBook Pro.

With routine Apple overcharging, a new charger is sixty quid.

Best I look after the one I've got. :)

Should a charger be left plugged in? - Woodster
You just wanted to make me green with 'just brought a Mac book pro' didn't you? Stick as many chargers in it as you can, see if I care...
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - bathtub tom
Assuming it's using a transformer to step-down the voltage, It'll use a little power, although not as much as when it's charging. I suppose it might shorten its life if left plugged in, but then again physical wear and tear and thermal changes could be to its detriment if unplugging it.

I have seen a re-charging system pushing the mains straight into a capacitor to limit the current, before feeding it across a full-wave rectifier to charge the battery.
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - Zero
No it doesn't shorten the life of the charger. Powering them on and off does.

never had one fail in use, had them fail on switch on tho.
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - Old Navy
They don't catch fire in the middle of the night if they are unplugged or switched off.
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - Bromptonaut
>> They don't catch fire in the middle of the night if they are unplugged or
>> switched off.

And they don't use leccy either. It's various phone, IT ancilliary and kiddy stuff chargers that keep my power meter ticking over even when everything is turned off.
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - Bigtee
At work there all left on all the time for Dewalt drill, Motorola hand held radio, phones, Booster pack, and all still work no problem

At home there switched off im paying the electric bill.!!
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - swiss tony
My daughter used to leave her mobile-phone charger plunged in 24/7.
Until..... one night I was awoken by a loud bang, and a scream.....
the charger had exploded, and left scorch marks on the wall socket.

Should a charger be left plugged in? - madf
I have an 18 year old cordless hedge trimmer. It has been plugged in and switched on 100% of the time when not in use. Replaced all NiCads about 10 years ago. Need to do it again.

Never any problems.
Last edited by: madf on Wed 10 Nov 10 at 21:22
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - Dave_
>> Until..... one night I was awoken by a loud bang, and a scream.....
>> the charger had exploded, and left scorch marks on the wall socket.

I was visited by the fire brigade at home a year ago (they were calling at every house in the street); I had it explained to me that the most lethal fires happen in the night, and that the no.1 cause of night fires was plugged-in, switched-on electrical appliances. Since then I routinely unplug the 4-way block feeding the TV/digibox/hifi and switch off the sockets for the kettle/microwave/kitchen radio when not in use. Saves a few valuable pence of electricity too.
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - Bigtee
The tv and sky box lot all is switched off before bed time or during the day while at work, it works just fine no memory loss.

Same for microwave, im just been tight with electricity Nothing to do with been kind to enviroment.
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - Cliff Pope
And does it harm a regularly used appliance to leave it permanently on charge?

We have a big rechargeable torch, used most nights for checking animals etc. You only know it needs recharging when it goes dim half way through using it. It's tempting just to leave it permanently on charge - would that be OK?
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - madf
I would..

I have two rechargeable torches for the same purpose so switch them round when one goes dim..

But now I use LEDs attached to peak of baseball cap... leaves hands free and no rechargeing... batteries should last a winter.

(Aldi sell these hats occasionally c £4.50. I bought mine after the offer had finished for £2.50... I recommend them)
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - VxFan
IIRC, the 99p stores had some baseball cap LED lights.

For 99p apparantly.
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - FotheringtonTomas
>> Does it harm the battery charger for a laptop or mobile if it's left plugged
>> in, but not charging anything?

It should not, but it will use power.
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - Roger.
"Neigh!" whinnied the charger.
Last edited by: landsker on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 13:52
 Should a charger be left plugged in? - devonite
my Nokia dharger has been left turned on for about six years now! - still going strong, according to my `leccy monitor it uses between 0.5 and 1 watt on s/by and upto 4 watts whilst charging. in six years it has used about 2kw whilst doing nothing, thats pretty negligable really - and i`m tight! (mean carefull in a Scots way!") ;-)
Latest Forum Posts