Non-motoring > Homogenised milk Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 100

Homogenised milk - L'escargot
When did it become the general practice for milk to be homogenised?
 Homogenised milk - Cliff Pope
Our locally-produced milk is not homogenised.
 Homogenised milk - Perky Penguin
I have found a reference to it becoming popular in the 50s but not when it actually started. I also founD this on a site claiming that homogenised milk is a leading casue of heart problems.

"Cows milk is usually nutritious. However, when it is tampered with by way of homogenisation, it becomes a type of slow poison for the circulatory system. Homogenization was introduced into this country in 1932. It is a process that breaks down the fat into very small blobules to keep the fat from separating. The primary purpose is to extend the shelf life of the product."
 Homogenised milk - FotheringtonTomas
>> I also founD this on a site claiming that homogenised milk is
>> a leading casue of heart problems.
>>
>> "Cows milk is usually nutritious. However, when it is tampered with by way of
>> homogenisation, it becomes a type of slow poison for the circulatory system.

My opinion of the "information" offered on that site is extremely low.

"Studies of soldiers killed in Korea showed Americans had heart disease at age 22, Japanese and Koreans did not. The difference? Only the Americans drank homogenized milk."

- quite apart from the fact that the Japanese, for instance - even now, let alone 50-odd years ago, consume a good deal less than half the milk, one-third the butter, one-seventh the cheese than the Yanks, and have a rather different diet in the first place.
 Homogenised milk - Dog
omo saps are the only species that continue to drink milk into adulthood,

I wouldn't touch the blimmin stuff - unless it was RAW.
>> omo saps are the only species that continue to drink milk into adulthood,
>>

>>

8 out of 10 cats disagree. Ours will beg or steal any amount of milk or cream that happens to be around. If I momentarily forget where we keep it, they will go and stand ostentatiously by the fridge.

They are however the only species that likes Long-life milk.
 Homogenised milk - Dog
>>They are however the only species that likes Long-life milk.<<

My mate Laurie used Carnation milk in his tea (for gawds sake) probably because he lived in an isolated cottage up on the moor.

When I used to stay with him, he'd bring me up a cuppa come the morn,
I used to fling it out the window when he'd gorn!

:)
 Homogenised milk - hobby
Oooo, cream tea... loverly!
 Homogenised milk - Perky Penguin
I probably cut and pasted too much! The only info I wanted noted was the possible date of 1932, as the date of homegenisation, in answer to OP's question
 Homogenised milk - Mapmaker
8 out of 10 cats aren't doing themselves any favours by drinking milk. Milk is bad for cats as they are unable - like all other adult mammals save for humans (except (broadly) non-Asian humans) - to digest it.

Homogenised milk - hobby
Doesn't seem to do them any harm though...
Last edited by: hobby on Wed 10 Nov 10 at 09:34
 Homogenised milk - Clk Sec
We had several cats when I was a nipper. They lived to a ripe old age despite drinking milk every day.
 Homogenised milk - Dave_
As a child I used to refuse point blank to eat my cornflakes if a blob of cream had plopped out of the bottle onto them with the milk. I know, fussy so-and-so!

The milk I buy from supermarkets has borne the description "pasteurised, homogenised, standardised" for quite a while now, I would guess the last 10-15 years.
 Homogenised milk - Dog
>>We had several cats when I was a nipper. They lived to a ripe old age despite drinking milk every day.<<

Mayhap catz have an ability to thrive on milk due to their domestication,
its certainly not normal past the kitten stage, not in their wild state anyway.
 Homogenised milk - Tooslow
Some are ok with it, on others it has undesirable side effects.

One of ours, long gone sad to say, loved cream. MiL always buys cheap stuff and wondered why cat turned its nose up at Elm Lea. Because it's not cream you silly old...!!! Cat can tell even if you can't.

John
 Homogenised milk - R.P.
www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,723310,00.html

Happened on this article a few days ago.
 Homogenised milk - Dog
>>Happened on this article a few days ago.<<

Interesting article Pugley, I wonder if the Neolithic dudes Homogenised their milk.

;}
 Homogenised milk - Zero
Fascinating

Milk drinkers rule the world.
 Homogenised milk - John H
>> Milk drinkers rule the world.
>>

Native Swedish, native British, the Fulani of Western Africa, and the Khoi of Southern Africa are the people of the world who are near 100% tolerant of lactose.

Hu Jintao and Barack Obama belong to races that are highly intolerant of lactose.

The first gene mutation in the lactase gene of one human ancestor that allowed him or her to continue to digest the lactose in dairy products into adulthood is likely to have been somewhere Hungary around ten thousand years ago. The two African tribes are thought to become lactose tolerant in more recent times, i.e. about two or three thousand years ago.

Homogenised milk - Dog
I am Lactose intolerant, as a baby I used to scream the house down due to gut problems,
I realise now what the problem was - 57 years later.

If I drink milk now, I'll have snot & bogies for days afterwards :)

Goats milk is OK though (with me) yuk!
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 10 Nov 10 at 11:28
 Homogenised milk - CGNorwich

L'es, You seem to have a knack for picking the most unlikely subjects for posts that turn out to be really interesting!
 Homogenised milk - Bellboy
i dont know if they homogonised their milk but they sure had big diggers back then

and colour photography

absolutely amazing----
 Homogenised milk - BiggerBadderDave
I can remember being a 3 or 4-year old boy at school when we had to drink one of those little bottles every day. I had a runny nose once and it dripped straight into the bottle which I was forced to drink before I was allowed to leave the table. I was so traumatised it was probably 20 years or so before I could drink milk out of a bottle again.
 Homogenised milk - Zero
Ah school milk. Watered down, left in crates outside to either freeze into ice or heat to a delightful warm scum.

Thatcher the milk snatcher? she did us all a favour.
 Homogenised milk - Zero

>> I was so traumatised

I am surprised, I had you down as a "pick your nose and eat it" kinda boy.
"I had you down as a "pick your nose and eat it" kinda boy"

Definitely a jumper sleeve wiper, me.
 Homogenised milk - Bromptonaut
When I was a kid and I think until the last 10/15 years homogenised milk was a seperate item. Maybe had a plain red top, not the stripy red on skimmed but solid as in green or gold top. Certainly used to have to shake the bottle to mix it (or fight with sibling for the cream!).

Ordinary whole milk in most supermarkets is now standardised/homogenised. A trend I noticed since 1998. Exception may be Waitrose but I'd need to check!!
 Homogenised milk - Mike Hannon
We get almost all our milk from the farm down the road. If I take it from the bulk tank myself I know it's gone through the chiller but there's no pasteuriser. Sometimes, if we get there when they are milking (the usual Holsteins) we get it quite hot straight out of the calf bucket, but that doesn't last quite as long in the fridge. Hasn't done any harm yet - I think.
 Homogenised milk - Dog
The good thing about pasteurisation is that it kills all the baddies. like TB,
The bad thing is that it kills all the good things too, like enzymes.
Same with honey, most of it is past your eyes as well - buy RAW if ya can.
 Homogenised milk - Fursty Ferret
Interestingly, if you wean cats off milk they can't go back on to it. Their bodies stop producing lactose-phlorizin hydrolase, and they send up allergic to the stuff.

They still like the taste, but you end up with a milky puddle of cat sick on the floor.
My theory is that ordinary moggies have become as tolerant of milk as Europeans because for as long as we have been milking cows, farm cats have been hanging around waiting for a chance to steal some.

As an aside, it's an interesting observation on L'escargot's knack of picking good but unpromising thread subjects. It's self-fullfilling of course, because now we will all be waiting eagerly to see what his next subject is, so there will be a buzz of eager posters waiting.
What will it be? Cooking fish in a bag? Cocoa or drinking chocolate? Red asphalt jokes?
>> honey, most of it is (pasteurised)

Most honey produced in the UK is not pasteurised.
 Homogenised milk - Iffy
...Most honey produced in the UK is not pasteurised...

Yes it is, it goes past your eyes before you eat it.

I'm Iffy, and I'm here all week.

>> >> honey, most of it is (pasteurised)
>>

>>

Don't call me "honey", my name is Shirley. :)
>> Sometimes, if we get there when they are milking (the usual Holsteins) we
>> get it quite hot straight out of the calf bucket, ...........

I hope it's been filtered. In the middle 1940s I saw milk being cooled and filtered at a farm before being sent to the dairy for bottling. Just seeing the slime and lumps of blood that was filtered from the milk nearly made me sick. And to think that some people claim to have drunk milk straight from the cow. Eugh!
>> I saw milk being cooled and filtered at a farm before being sent to the dairy
>> for bottling. Just seeing the slime and lumps of blood that was filtered from
>> the milk nearly made me sick.

Don't forget the buckets of pus and urine that you saw being "filtered out", either.

>> And to think that some people claim to have drunk milk straight from the cow.

Baybies drink it straight from the teat, too. Bet you're glad you never were one.
 Homogenised milk - Iffy
...just seeing the slime and lumps of blood that was filtered from the milk nearly made me sick...

I was brought up on a farm.

We 'got out of dairy' at one point, but still kept a cow to milk for our consumption.

I have no recollection of any slime or lumps of blood being filtered from the milk.

When we had the single cow, I'm not sure if the milk was filtered at all.

Homogenised milk - Bromptonaut
We used to stay on farms as kids. TBH I was not all that keen on the taste of raw milk but I never saw anything untoward in it.

On a tangent when did you last see a cow being hmad milked? In my case I think around 1984. We were just approaching Stockinish YH (now long gone) on Harris and rode past an elderly gent milking an large brown cow in a roadside croft. I've never seen anything like it again in our 20 or so subsequent visits to the Hebrides. I guess he was amongst the last of his generation.

Finlay J Macdonald's stories of his boyhood around Scarista in the 20s refer regularly to his father milking their single cow.
>> I was brought up on a farm.
>> snip
>> I have no recollection of any slime or lumps of blood being filtered from the
>> milk.

Correct. Hence my deliberately fatuous comment.
>> I have no recollection of any slime or lumps of blood being filtered from the
>> milk.

This is just one website I found which refers to blood in raw milk. hubpages.com/hub/Milk-Processing

"The clarification process removes impurities like blood cells from the milk ..."
>> This is just one of the websites I found which refers to blood in raw milk. hubpages.com/hub/Milk-Processing
>>
>> "The clarification process removes impurities like blood cells from the milk ..."
>>

I've made the above slight correction to my post. I was too late to just edit it.
>>We had several cats when I was a nipper. They lived to a ripe old age despite drinking milk every day.

>>Some are ok with it, on others it has undesirable side effects.

Come to think of it, one did have a severe twitch...

>>What will it be? Cooking fish in a bag? Cocoa or drinking chocolate? Red asphalt jokes?

Independent v main dealer service?

Anyway, he's probably having a nap right now.

Back in the seventies an when milk delivery was near universal an interesting phenomenon developed in the bird world. Blue Tits learnt to peck through the foil tops to access the cream on the top of the milk. This habit was actually learnt by imitation from bird to bird and quickly spread through the country.

Homogenisation of milk meant that the birds could no longer access the cream and the habit died out.

And that is my most interesting homogenised milk fact!
 Homogenised milk - R.P.
....and that, CG, answers something I was pondering only the other day as I was out walking ! Amazing place the internet.
Wow, I can't remember when I last pressed in a foil-topped milk bottle. Do they still have them in the UK?
 Homogenised milk - R.P.
Yes that's what started the train of thought the other day, local farmer delvers milk in a bottle door-to-door in the little street where I live, me being a frugal pensioner buys a 2 litre bottle for a quid from the local garage though - gets me out as well.
A pensioner? you're barely 50.
 Homogenised milk - R.P.
:-)
>> Wow, I can't remember when I last pressed in a foil-topped milk bottle. Do they
>> still have them in the UK?
>>

I can't remember when I last pressed in the centre of a cardboard-topped milk bottle! Can you remember what they used to be used for after they'd been removed and cleaned?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 11 Nov 10 at 07:50
 Homogenised milk - devonite
>>Homogenisation of milk meant that the birds could no longer access the cream and the habit died out.

Not here it hasn`t! we still have a "traditional" milkman who leaves us our pinta`s on the doorstep, complete with foil-tops! and not only do the blue-tits still enjoy the milk/cream homogenised or not, they are training the Starlings an Sparrows as well!
where we used to lose a bit out of the top to the tits, the starling can reach a bit further and nearly a third of a pint goes. I just hope the Herons out the back aren`t taking note!
That's fascinating. Bang goes another ornithological theory. Any possibility of a photo?
 Homogenised milk - Tooslow
Withdrawal symptoms.

John
 Homogenised milk - mikeyb
Waitrose still offer some milks un-homogenised. A Traditional one, and their organic range
 Homogenised milk - Roger.
UHT skimmed - around 0.49€ to 0.51€ per litre is our usual stuff! (you can pay more, particularly if you have the Spanish obsession with "Calcio"! (As if ordinary milk didn't have it!)
Cheap, keeps, best in tea, but really like fresh full cream in coffee.
Fresh milk, while not unobtainable ,is rare here, although the availability has become wider in the last few years.
Must be all we foreigners!
 Homogenised milk - Dave_
>> Homogenisation of milk meant that the birds could no longer access the cream and the habit died out.

I'd have thought the popularisation of screw-top plastic bottles has a lot to answer for on that front too.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Wed 10 Nov 10 at 23:36
Milk bottles originally had waxed cardboard tops, and the bluetits went for the wax. They of course quickly discovered that the cream on top of the milk (real milk in those days) was much nicer.

Then when cardboard switched to foil, they knew to peck through it.
 Homogenised milk - Iffy
...Then when cardboard switched to foil...

We had a peck-proof plastic milk bottle top which also served as an indicator for how many pints you wanted.

Homogenised milk - Mike Hannon
My aunty, a farmer's wife, used to make clotted cream. She wasn't the world's most enthusiastic follower of hygiene standards and sometimes it had odd flecks of dung in it but if you picked them out it tasted lovely.
And if you missed them it didn't seem to do any harm...
 Homogenised milk - Iffy
...used to make clotted cream...

My mother used to make cream.

About a gallon of milk was put in a large china bowl, about the size of a washing up bowl, which itself was heated on the Rayburn in a metal tray filled with water.

The cream was skimmed off the top.

Not sure what the name for that type of cream would be, but everyone, especially visitors, loved it.

The left over milk, presumably what we now call skimmed, was put in the mash for the pigs.

Nothing was ever wasted on the farm, and throwing anything away was frowned upon.

In that respect, farmers were 'green' long before politicians picked up on the idea.

Homogenised milk - R.P.
Iffy so green that they were happy to feed crushed up sheep to cows.
 Homogenised milk - Iffy
...Iffy so green that they were happy to feed crushed up sheep to cows...

My lot did the job right, as far as I can tell.

Can't speak for other farmers, perhaps you can.
 Homogenised milk - R.P.
I can only speak from the report in Mad Cow Disease iffy - no doubt there are greenish farmers but there are certainly poor ones environmentally speaking.
 Homogenised milk - Iffy
...no doubt there are greenish farmers but there are certainly poor ones environmentally speaking...

True, although farming folk get a bit sick of being beaten with the mad cow or foot and mouth stick.

'Green' in farming terms is often another word for 'mean' - many farmers I know don't like spending money.

We didn't buy in a great deal of feed - dead sheep or otherwise - because feed had to be paid for.

The beasts ate fresh grass for most of the year, and we made plenty of silage for the winter.

There are plenty of other examples.

Pest control: rats and mice like farmyards, you'll never stop them.

But we didn't use poison unless we had to, we had three or four what are now called feral cats to do the job for nothing, I mean in an environmentally friendly way.

Everything was recycled. Buy a new gate? Not while there's those old planks behind the cowshed and a couple of old paint tins in the workshop full of nails.

It does make me smile when we are now all urged to grow our own, recycle and be generally 'green', when farmers I know were doing all that stuff 50 years ago.

Homogenised milk - Roger.
Mind bleach - quickly!
 Homogenised milk - Iffy
...Mind bleach - quickly!...

Why?

My post is 100 per cent accurate.

If you want to bring in a wholly unrelated topic, go ahead.

I'm all ears, or perhaps that should be pigs' ears.

Homogenised milk - Harleyman
As many of you know, I deliver to farms on a daily basis, and Iffy's right.

One surefire way to cause utter chaos on farms would be to ban the use of baler twine; on more than one of my customers' farms, remove that and half the place would fall down!

Back to the topic; I have local milk delivered twice a week, in "proper" bottles. Mrs. H won't drink the stuff, as she says it tastes totally different to the supermarket milk.
 Homogenised milk - Jetski
Steralized milk was common around Birmingham, the stuff came in a slender glass bottle with a crown cork and didn't need refrigeration.I dreaded being offered a cuppa by a customer with this in as the smell and taste made me gag, drunk black tea or coffee for the last thirty years because of this.
 Homogenised milk - Dog
I woz brung up on stera, and stork or echo marge.

:(
I woz brung up on stera

Luxury!

Carnation for us
Which reminds me of the slogan for carnation milk allegedly entered into an advertising competition :

"Carnation Milk is the best in the land / Here I sit with a can in my hand / No tits to pull, no hay to pitch / You just punch a hole in the son of a bitch."
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 17 Nov 10 at 00:51
 Homogenised milk - Dog
>>Luxury!

Carnation for us<<

Well, we didn't know any different, back then, if I was offered Stera now I'd run a mile!

Mind you - I'd rather have that than Condensed :)
>> Mind you - I'd rather have that than Condensed :)

You don't know you're born. During WWII (and afterwards) we used to have condensed milk sandwiches. Sheer luxury. People even poorer than us used to just have maggy ann (margerine) sandwiches.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 13 Nov 10 at 12:46
 Homogenised milk - Zero
Nothing wrong with condensed milk, or even evaporated milk.
 Homogenised milk - VxFan
>> Nothing wrong with condensed milk, or even evaporated milk.

Just had some on my puff pastry mince pies that I got for ½ price in Tesco's yesterday.

Luverly.
>> Just had some on my puff pastry mince pies that I got for ½ price

Mince pies? It's nowhere *near* Christmas.
 Homogenised milk - bathtub tom
>> Just had some on my puff pastry mince pies that I got for ½ price

What was the 'best before'?

I saw some hot cross buns t'other day.
 Homogenised milk - VxFan
>> What was the 'best before'?

16th Nov.

One left and half a tin of evaporated milk.

Back in a sec.
 Homogenised milk - VxFan
>> Back in a sec.

Burp. None left now.

Wonder if Tesco has any puff pastry mince pies left? Still got 3 or 4 cans in the cupboard.

::ponders driving to the local 24hr Tesco to check::
 Homogenised milk - Runfer D'Hills
I can't abide mince pies but they are perfect for giving to people you don't like. Trick is to pop them in the microwave for exactly 20 seconds before offering them on a plate to festive season droppers in you're not keen on.

The 20 second radiation merely warms the pastry but raises the temperature of the filling to napalm like levels. Offered skillfully, it is possible for them to chew off a sizeable chunk while you seemingly innocently, delay the delivery of their drink. It can be very satisfying, especially if they are congenitally pompous gets to see their eyes begin to water as the fruit filling welds itself to the roofs of their mouths while you pretend to search for ice...

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 15 Nov 10 at 21:45
 Homogenised milk - Zero
Humph

You know me, jack the lad hooligan me

However

That is a really dangerous and stupid thing to do.
 Homogenised milk - Runfer D'Hills
Probably is. Depends how much you dislike them.

Homogenised milk - VxFan
>> I can't abide mince pies ......

I absolutely love them. Eat them all year round. In my younger days when my mum used to do a lot of home baking there was always a jar of mince meat in the cupboard. Unfortunately the contents of the jar kept disappearing. Damn those mice ;o)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 16 Nov 10 at 00:31
 Homogenised milk - Dog
I tuned a car for a geezer once, well - it wasn't a car, as such, it was an FSO Polonez, anyway - he worked inner bakery in e suss sex that made mince pies for arrods and he gave me a bag of em ...
I've never tasted mince pies *that good* since.
 Homogenised milk - Dog
>>You don't know you're born<<

I read that out to wifey about the condensed milk sandwiches (yuk!), I think I'd rather be water-boarded thanks :)

I don't really do a lot of milk these days, if I have a bowl of muesli I'll make some Almond milk by soaking 100g of organic almonds overnight and then I'll nuke em with 1 ltr of filtered water in the blender (ya can add some Vanilla seeds, not extract!) and then filter the milk through a muslin bag.

I have Marvel (!!!) in my coffee and wifey came home with some really nice Christmas coffee today from the Cornish tea and coffee (.com) chap in Truro, its a Colombian Excelsior with the flavours of toasted pecan nuts, spices, a hint of sweet orange and a punch of Jamaican rum.

p.s. I put Marvel in my tea too :)
>> I read that out to wifey about the condensed milk sandwiches (yuk!), I think I'd
>> rather be water-boarded thanks :)

Similar to syrup. Don't forget I was talking about the austere conditions during WWII. We couldn't afford to be as choosy as nowadays. It was food.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 13 Nov 10 at 16:03
 Homogenised milk - Pat
>>condensed milk <<

When I was little it was a real treat to be allowed a whole spoonful straight out of the tin.

I must go and buy some tomorrow.

Pat
Pat, best thing to do with condensed milk is stick the unopened can in in a pan of boiling water for two hours. It will magically turn into "dulce de leche" or milk caramel sauce which is absolutely delicious.
 Homogenised milk - Zero

>> Pat, best thing to do with condensed milk is stick the unopened can in in
>> a pan of boiling water for two hours. It will magically turn into "dulce de
>> leche" or milk caramel sauce which is absolutely delicious.

Sometimes it turns into a "bomb de leche" and showers the room in tin shrapnel and hot thick milk.
 Homogenised milk - Crankcase
>> Pat, best thing to do with condensed milk is stick the unopened can in in
>> a pan of boiling water for two hours. It will magically turn into "dulce de
>> leche" or milk caramel sauce which is absolutely delicious.
>>

That's a long way of going about it when you can already buy caramel condensed milk right next to the ordinary condensed milk in Mr Tesco's (other supermarkets exist). Back when I was allowed sugar I used to eat it straight from the can and it was tooth achingly yumulous.

Homogenised milk - Dog
>>Don't forget I was talking about the austere conditions during WWII<<

Ah! The wartime diet, the healthiest diet ever I believe,
the way things are going The Ministry of Food may have to dust off the tins dried egg powder again.
>>p.s. I put Marvel in my tea too :)

Isn't that homogenised?

:)
 Homogenised milk - Dog
>>p.s. I put Marvel in my tea too :)

Isn't that homogenised?

Yes and no, its made from Pasteurised milk, and heat is used in the process,
after reading that the cholesterol in powdered milk is oxidised (obvious I suppose) I'll be using less of it from now on.
 Homogenised milk - NortonES2
Re Jetski. Those hardened to steri used to jeer at users of "ordinary" milk - t**** milk they called it:)
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Sat 13 Nov 10 at 12:17
 Homogenised milk - Iffy
...As many of you know, I deliver to farms on a daily basis, and Iffy's right...

I'd like to ride shotgun with Harleyman on his rounds.

It would be fascinating to see the state of the various farmyards.

Some will be literally held together by baler twine, but others will be a lot smarter.

There are farmers who spend money to keep the place looking well.

A family near us were like that, their yard was always immaculate and was a joy to visit.

They even painted all the tackle - including the tractors - in their own shade of green.

Only another 7 posts to reach the century on homogenised milk. Seems to be more interest in dairy products than cars!
>> Seems to be more
>> interest in dairy products than cars!
>>

As the originator of this thread I feel obliged to point out that this is the non-motoring section. For cars look in the motoring section.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 16 Nov 10 at 07:20
Not a criticism of either the subject or you L'es. Just an observation. I think its great how the most unlikely subjects can lead to so many posts. One of the enjoyable features of the forum.

>> Seems to be more
>> interest in dairy products than cars!
>>

Only three of your posts this month have been motoring-related!
;-)
Only three more to go, and you'll have another ton!
 Homogenised milk - R.P.
Oh well - the magic hundred. Camp Coffee and condensed milk - definitely bad for you though
Latest Forum Posts