Non-motoring > Chestnut Roasting Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 8

Chestnut Roasting - Ambo
What is your technique? I use an gas oven burner. With a heavy iron pan, the nuts burn before they roast, even if I take 30 minutes over the job. My ceramic roatser has a perforated base, fine I expect for an open fire but shedding burnt shell on the stove top. The same would apply to perforated steel roasters. I have blocked up the holes in mine with fire cement but this leads to a damp internal atmosphere that prevents the shells coming cleanly away.
 Chestnut Roasting - Bellboy
you must pierce every shell with a 1/4 inch slit prior to putting them in your gas oven or they are quite impossible to split open for the yummy bit inside
 Chestnut Roasting - Iffy
...you must pierce every shell with a 1/4 inch slit prior to putting them in your gas oven...

I once put a few chestnuts on a shovel under the grate of the open fire in Iffy Towers.

The explosion was quite loud, and I can still hear bits of shell and nut bouncing off the walls and high ceiling.

The other nuts were turned into coal, all within a few minutes.

I didn't realise so much heat could be generated by an open fire.
 Chestnut Roasting - Woodster
A knife end in both sides of each one to let the steam out, a proper chestnut pan with holes in resting on the grate of the open fire. Keep tossing (!) and have wine warming nearby. The best heat is from red hot logs after the flames have died away.
 Chestnut Roasting - Cliff Pope
I've always pierced them first so that they don't explode.
I have a special metal pan with holes in it and a long handle. I do them over a glowing open fire or in the Rayburn furnace. The trick is to keep the pan moving so the nuts roll about and get heated evenly.
 Chestnut Roasting - Mapmaker
I use an old tin can. When it's held in the fire tongs you can keep them moving so they don't burn.
 Chestnut Roasting - Zero
Chestnuts roasting in an open fire?

wont work unless you have

Jack frost nipping at your toes.
 Chestnut Roasting - Crankcase
Only last week I was at a hotel where they were playing an intellectual tournament. Trouble is they went on and on about in the lobby afterwards, and if there's one thing I can't stand it's chess nuts boasting in an open foyer.

Chestnut Roasting - PhilW
" chess nuts boasting in an open foyer."

made me laugh

Latest Forum Posts