Non-motoring > Cheapest Mobile Phone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 16

Cheapest Mobile Phone? - rtj70
Is this the cheapest mobile phone ever?

www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/ALCATEL-OT-209/PPAY&clearance=false

You need to pay £10 for a SIM on top so that's £10.99!
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - Robin O'Reliant
I saw that in the paper today. Our PAYG Orange phone packed up the other month after years of service, it was a handy reserve as it picked up a signal where the contract Vodafones wouldn't.

I assume it would work on Orange?
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - Perky Penguin
Vodafone sim card for 99p plus an unlock fee if needed?
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - rtj70
It's CPW so won't be locked to a network. But to get that price you need to get a SIM.
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - Old Navy
How about this one, I dont think it is a toy!

direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-4006.aspx
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - RattleandSmoke
I could do with one of these, after what happened a couple of weeks ago when I was in the club I am a bit worried about taking my Galaxy drinking. It is a very slippy phone which is fine when sober.

I don't think the insurance company will keep paying out for damage caused on a saturday night!.

Cheapest Mobile Phone? - Zero
I would fix your drinking. You are getting too old to get ratted every weekend.
Half the people in the club I go to are probably older than you :). Anyway tonight is going to be just a simple few ales down an old mans pub in Didsbury :). I am leaving the club for a while.

I will probably just take my Nokia N97 out when I go clubbing its not ideal as it is my business phone but if some customers phone at 1:0am I won't answer it.
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - Iffy
...I could do with one of these...

Tesco call it a 'party phone', which is code for: "It doesn't matter if you get falling down drunk, puke all over it, smash it or lose it, because it's cheap."

Make of that what you will.

Yep :). The only hassle is changing sim cards, or the hassle of telling people to text a different number on a saturday night! I do sort of want one though just to see how bad it is!>
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - Iffy
...The only hassle is changing sim cards...

To drift the thread a little, I wonder how many of us could find a use for two or three sim cards on the same number?

It's not something I've seen widely offered.

Cheapest Mobile Phone? - spamcan61
>>
>> To drift the thread a little, I wonder how many of us could find a
>> use for two or three sim cards on the same number?
>>
>> It's not something I've seen widely offered.
>>
I agree it would be useful but most networks would assume the SIM had been cloned if multiple phones appeared on the network with the same number. Having said that I think Vodafone did offer the service I while back.

Least clunky work-around for Rattle is probably to automatically divert calls from 'normal' phone to 'party' phone when out on the lash.
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - Runfer D'Hills
I whinged and moaned on here about how many work calls I get at ungodly hours or at weekends or indeed when I'm on holiday. I work in conjunction with people in various parts of the world, some of whom have no concept of British time or if they do they don't care.

Strange as it may seem it only occured to me about a month ago to turn my main phone off ( and indeed its messaging facility ) when I don't want work calls and to buy a pay as you go sim and shove it in an old phone for off duty use.

It's been a bit of a personal Epiphany. Marvelously releasing. Highly recommended !
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - R.P.
If you have a Blackberry you can dual SIM it - As it happens I have a 12 month old Blackberry Bold etc.....
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - Zero
It would look good strapped to a bike rack?
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - AnotherJohnH
>> ...I could do with one of these...

Is it a kit?

The site mentions "assembled dimensions" :)
 Cheapest Mobile Phone? - Stuartli
Just for interest, Tesco is offering a £10 monthly rolling contract SIM with 500 minutes, plus unlimited texts and data.

tinyurl.com/39j5r73

The person I know whose taken up the offer still has the original mobile number.
Latest Forum Posts