Non-motoring > Super injunctions hit the buffers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 15

Super injunctions hit the buffers - Iffy
Looks as if professional footballers will no longer be able to buy privacy after a judge ruled against so-called super injunctions.

Newspapers often cite 'public interest' when they really mean 'interesting to the public'.

But I think secrecy can only be justified in the most extreme conditions, such as national security.

Although the judge has ruled the player can be named, 'the facts of the allegations against him' remain secret.

Interesting reporting times ahead.

tinyurl.com/2v3vp5k
 Super injunctions hit the buffers - paulb
Have to say that I can't see a lot wrong with this decision.

I was never convinced that injunctions should be used to protect the wealthy/famous/notorious from the consequences of their own bad behaviour.

Simple answer is: if you don't want salacious accounts of your doings all over the front of the NOTW et al, then behave.

And as for nasty little scumbags making stuff up about these folks: as far as I'm aware we still have an extremely well-developed system of libel laws for that kind of thing.
 Super injunctions hit the buffers - Duncan
>> a>> judge ruled against so-called super injunctions.
>>

Will injuunctions already in place be removed from the 'no reporting of the facts' rule?

I can think of a few interesting cases out there which are secret at the moment.
 Super injunctions hit the buffers - hobby
Pity we can't do the same to most "compensation" claims...
>> Pity we can't do the same to most "compensation" claims...
>>

I was speaking to a very old mate of mine about this the other week. Said mate is quite a loud noise in one of the larger insurers.

I opined that all it would take for this would be a few test cases in which the insurers threw everything they had at the claimants, and with a few well-aimed wasted costs orders against the lawyers putting the cases up in the first place.

He agreed and said that in fact, they'd already given quite a lot of thought to that. But they were making so much money out of flogging legal costs insurance on the back of these claims, it made more financial sense for them to do nothing.

Follow the money...........
 Super injunctions hit the buffers - Robin O'Reliant
There have been rumours floating around the 'interweb all year about some embarrassing activities indulged by a well known and respected England international. Much as I abhor kiss & tell revelations I shall be gloating over them with the rest of the great unwashed, hypocrite that I am.
 Super injunctions hit the buffers - Ian (Cape Town)
Given the pathetic performance from the Englad team in this neck of the woods of late, maybe the overpaid laggards SHOULD be exposed to the cash-paying public as the scum they are?
 Super injunctions hit the buffers - Perky Penguin
"well known and respected England international" - Are there any?
 Super injunctions hit the buffers - Iffy
...well known and respected England international" - Are there any?...

If he is, he won't be in a couple of weeks' time.

>> "well known and respected England international" - Are there any?
>>

Quite a few of them on the pitch at Twickenham this pm ;-)
>> Quite a few of them on the pitch at Twickenham this pm ;-)
>>
I'd say something rude about Dallaglio the alleged coke dealer and Matt Stevens the druggie, but...
>> I'd say something rude about Dallaglio the alleged coke dealer and Matt Stevens the druggie,
>> but...
>>

Dillydallyo? What year d'you think this is?? ;-)
 Super injunctions hit the buffers - Perky Penguin
Agreed, but they are playing union, and league is ok too. Association football
is a waste of TV time, space and money, apart from isolated flashes of brilliance like Gareth Bale this week.
>>Gareth Bale this week.
>>
Yep
Once every 10 years the welsh come up with a decent footballer. Shame je ain't English, innit?
 Super injunctions hit the buffers - madf
Football is the modern equivalent of the Romans' "bread and circuses" to keep the masses happy with their lot. But nowadays, the masses are so dumb they pay to watch..

If there's anyone dumber than a Premier League footballer (and with their salaries they are not that dumb), it;s the people who pay £50 a game to watch them...

Well that#s my opinion. I shall now sit back and wait for incoming..:-)
Last edited by: madf on Sat 6 Nov 10 at 16:29
 Super injunctions hit the buffers - CGNorwich
Cheapest ticket for the British Grand Prix next year is £141 plus £60 to park the car.
Latest Forum Posts