Non-motoring > "International" phone calls Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 12

"International" phone calls - L'escargot
We're getting an ever increasing number of "international" phone calls. Is there any way of stopping them? We're already registered with the Telephone Preference Service but it doesn't have any effect on these calls.
 "International" phone calls - Clk Sec
I have a system whereby I return my 'phone to its cradle if I don't hear a voice within a couple of seconds or so of picking up the handset. It works for me.

TPS can't help with 'international' calls, as far as I'm aware.
 "International" phone calls - Tooslow
I get a few. Not many thank goodness. They're mostly silent or a recorded message, presumably intended to play until someone realises the phone has been picked up. Not much you can do I don't think.

John
 "International" phone calls - John H
>> Is there any way of stopping them?
>>

It may cost you. If you are with BT (other providers have similar schemes), opt for calling features such as
Ex-directory
BT Privacy at Home
Caller Display
Choose to Refuse
Anonymous Call Reject
www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=28921

Last edited by: John H on Fri 5 Nov 10 at 11:30
 "International" phone calls - Stuartli
I've found that if you leave the answering machine on permanently and listen to who is calling before picking up the phone or not, that these scam calls (which is what the majority are) gradually decline in number.
 "International" phone calls - R.P.
As I said before, if I have the time and inclination I have some fun with them..simply reply "yes" to every question - it gets to a good start but deteriorates badly and quickly (for the caller)
 "International" phone calls - L'escargot
>> As I said before, if I have the time and inclination I have some fun
>> with them..simply reply "yes" to every question - it gets to a good start but
>> deteriorates badly and quickly (for the caller)
>>

On one occasion I repeatedly told the caller I didn't understand English and that he would have to speak in Lithuanian! It took him ages before he gave up.
BT Privacy at home is another name for caller display, which the OP has since he has said they are identified as "International". Choose to refuse "You can block up to 10 numbers " according to the BT website, so I expect it works on specific numbers not on the general "International". I might be wrong. Anonymous call reject might do the trick but some useful calls come in anonymously e.g. anyone behind a company switchboard.

So I think the tactic is to ignore, put the phone down or play games.

John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Fri 5 Nov 10 at 12:42
 "International" phone calls - John H
>> BT Privacy at home is another name for caller display, which the OP has since
>> he has said they are identified as "International".
>>

You are Sherlock or a mind reader. I am neither. :)
I await the OP's reply to your post.

Last edited by: John H on Fri 5 Nov 10 at 13:41
:-)
 "International" phone calls - Falkirk Bairn
True Call - it was on Dragon's Den intercepts calls

www.truecall.co.uk/

Makro is/was £60 ish + VAT

Alternatively I could rent you my 5 year old granddaughter - you cannot get past her to speak to mum & dad.
 "International" phone calls - movilogo
Subscribe to BT call display (which I believe is free).

All non UK calls will appear as "Out of Area" or "secret" or something similar.

Now you may have problem if someone known to calls you hiding their mobile # or you have genuine friends calling you from overseas.
I believe that L has caller display as he has referred to "International" calls. This is exactly as it is shown on the phone with caller display (Sherlock at his best eh?). UK calls show as "Withheld" or one or two other variants which I can't bring to mind.

Like junk emails, if no one bought from these con artists there would be no point in the calls so they wouldn't make them.

John
Latest Forum Posts