Non-motoring > What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 47

What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - BobbyG
So when I get my next phone for 18 or 24 months, I know it will be obsolete as soon as I get it but what will the phones in summer 2012 have compared to now?
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - Zero
More apps. More memory. Better cameras.

But they will still be Iphones and Android devices.

What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - R.P.
and a Windows 23 phone.
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - BiggerBadderDave
fire extinguishers
now that would be handy.....
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - BiggerBadderDave
You just be careful tomorrow Bobby. Drop in on Saturday morning so we know you're still around.
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - Robin O'Reliant
A thing for getting stones out of horse's hooves.
Oh for Fawkes sake......
He just keeps banging on about it.
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - Old Navy
Hopefully you will be able to use it as a phone.
That means you have to talk to people. Not too keen on that concept.
Yeah, the app that converts speech to text and then sends it as a text message does seem to be reinventing the wheel a bit!
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - RattleandSmoke
A much better battery is a must for future phones. Battery technology hasn't improved enough. I see no reason why a modern smart phone needs to be charged more than once a day with better batteries.

The user interface will be slicker and I think there will be a lot more user interfaces around web 3.0 and cloud computing. They will interface far better with your desktop PC. You will be able to access and edit all those spreadsheets while you're on the train to London for example.

I am not sure the cameras will improve, the modern generation of smart phones have far worse cameras than phones did two years ago.

I am not sure if screen sizes can really go beyond the current 4" as the phone will just get too big.
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - spamcan61
>> A much better battery is a must for future phones. Battery technology hasn't improved enough.
>> I see no reason why a modern smart phone needs to be charged more than
>> once a day with better batteries.
>>
I charge my HTC Wildfire once every 3 days, but then I do leave BT, GPS and WiFi off unless I'm actually using them. Battery technology has been plodding along for years - it's taken 20 years to go NiCd - NiMh - LiPo and stuff like fuel cells remains blue sky.

>>They will interface far better with your
>> desktop PC. You will be able to access and edit all those spreadsheets while you're
>> on the train to London for example.
Can't you do that now? I do wonder if you could use a smartphone as the actual base of a PC now, for office stuff, web surfing etc., dock it with a proper keyboard and monitor and just type away.

>>
>> I am not sure the cameras will improve, the modern generation of smart phones have
>> far worse cameras than phones did two years ago.
>>
Last time I saw the chip vendor roadmaps (about 18 months ago) there were more and more megapixels coming, along with beefier 3D graphics processing etc. I appreciate more megapixels is unlikely to mean better photos, my 2MP SE K750i takes far better photos than my 5MP Wildfire.
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - CGNorwich
I believe payment by mobile phones will be the next big thing . Rumours that it will be introduced for iphone next year in the US.
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - rtj70
One of the new Nokia's recently had a near field communication chip in it. So it's on the way even if this particular phone does not currently use the chip.
And as Rattle says, better battery life would be good - but the rumoured Google Nexus Two is to be made by Samsung and have a 1.2GHz CPU! So that's not going to use too much power then (I know it's an ARM based CPU).
>> I believe payment by mobile phones will be the next big thing . Rumours that
>> it will be introduced for iphone next year in the US.
>> l

I seem to recall there was some sort of 'wallet' functionality in some Nokia phones way back in the days of the 6310i or thereabouts, and some trials in Scandinavia, didn't seem to take off at the time.
The chip in a few Nokia for near field communication is the same sort in the Barclaycards and Oyster. Wave it near a payment point to pay. But they're not in use at present so odd to include a chip that's not used. Or maybe not used yet?
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - VxFan
>> I know it will be obsolete as soon as I get it

I'll say it before Pat does ;o) A phone is just that - a phone. How will it become obsolete?

My Nokia N70 is just coming up to 5 years old and still does everything I want it to. ie, make & receive calls, take photos with its 2 meg camera, and access emails and websites.
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - Avant
Faster access to the Internet, I hope, than my Blackberry has - I presume that means the wider use of 3G rather than GPRS.

It would be good not to see the word 'Requesting' in that context ever again. Far too polite - no wonder it's so slow. :)
The trouble with 3G for data is... the coverage is nowhere near as good as we're led to believe. Maybe they run out of money after spending billions buying the frequencies.
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - sherlock47
For me a very academic question. The 6310i, with its 'pleased to see you' profile in my jeans pocket will remain my phone of choice. With battery life exceeding that of most of its spawned offspring, sensible sized keys, and the fact that it fits all 3 car kits means that it will probably see me out.

IIRC several other fans on here. Not many examples of 15 year old electronics technology left in most peoples lives today.
Last edited by: pmh on Fri 5 Nov 10 at 06:14
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - sherlock47
15 should be 10!!!!
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - MD
It's calculator ain't much cop!
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - Tooslow
I'm sticking with my new fangled 6021 :-)

John
>> The trouble with 3G for data is... the coverage is nowhere near as good as
>> we're led to believe. Maybe they run out of money after spending billions buying the
>> frequencies.
>>
I would imagine that's why they're so keen to share networks these days (Cornerstone and Everything Everywhere for example). Vodafone for one have been spending lots of money upgrading to 7 meg peak data rate capability, but it was almost funny in North Cornwall last week finding plenty of places with little or no GSM voice coverage, let alone fancy stuff.

Interesting (if you're into this sort of thing) interview with a senior Vodafone guy here, stand out points for me where:-

- Dongles are currently responsible for the majority of data demand, smartphones are not dominating demand.
- 90-95% of data usage is indoors - hence Vodafone's push of their femtocell 'Sure Signal' product.

Only worth reading if you're a telecomms geek!

www.huawei.com/publications/view.do?id=6180&cid=11570&pid=10664

What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - Redviper
>> Faster access to the Internet, I hope, than my Blackberry has - I presume that
>> means the wider use of 3G rather than GPRS.
>>
>> It would be good not to see the word 'Requesting' in that context ever again.
>> Far too polite - no wonder it's so slow. :)
>>

Download opera mini browser for Blackberrys, much better than the Blackberry browser, which isnt worth the time of day
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - Dulwich Estate
Why do we persist in calling them phones? The poster says his phone will be obsolete - where I come from that means he won't be able to make or receive calls as a result of some revised technology like analogue to digital.

The phone's not obsolete. He's been conned. But, I suppose to keep the world economy going we should encourage churn for churn's sake.

Miserable git mode now turned off.
Yes I think the word 'obsolete' is probably one of the most misused words of current times. To me something isn't obsolete unless it's no longer usable without extra effort.

I'm now wondering whether compact cassettes are actually obsolete or not at this point in time. Not sure about that one.
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - bathtub tom
>>I'm now wondering whether compact cassettes are actually obsolete

Of course they're not. How else would I listen my music in my KIA Pride? ;>)
>> >>I'm now wondering whether compact cassettes are actually obsolete
>>
>> Of course they're not. How else would I listen my music in my KIA Pride?
>> ;>)
>>
Fair enough, they're definitely on the slippery slope, but maybe not quite obsolete yet. I don't think I've recorded onto one since buying my first CD burner for 130 quid in 1999.

VHS is the other candidate I guess, even charity shops don't seem to shift pre-recorded stuff now, even at 10 -20p per title.
>> VHS is the other candidate I guess, even charity shops don't seem to shift pre-recorded
>> stuff now, even at 10 -20p per title.
>>

I think with the advent of PVR's and Recordable DVD, its fair to say that the days of low quality, tape chewing. waiting while the tape has rewound and a cupboard full of bulky VHS tapes. are over.

Certainly in the home VHS is now obsolete.
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - VxFan
>> Certainly in the home VHS is now obsolete.

In their defence though, if there is a temporary power cut of only a few seconds to a couple of mins they'll carry on recording from where they stopped.

My Sky+ box 99% of the time flags it up as a failed recording.
>> Of course they're not. How else would I listen my music in my KIA Pride? ;>)

www.amazon.co.uk/Cassette-MP3-Player-Play-your/dp/B001CAVKCO
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 5 Nov 10 at 13:07
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - CGNorwich
Doesn't obsolete just mean old fashioned, out of date or no longer used.

A penny farthing bicycle is obsolete but it could still fulfil its original purpose. Its just that there are better bikes out there
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Nov 10 at 12:35
I love my Galaxy S but still use my old antique Nokia N97 mini. I see it is a worthless piece of junk so I was quite shocked to see they are still selling them for £300 on pay as you go.

I pay £22 a month for my Galaxy S, 600 minutes, 500mb internet and 3000 text messages on an 18 month contract. I still use the Nokia for emails though due to its proper qwerty keyboard.

I see the Nokia as a business phone and the samsung as a little computer which has a phone function. I have even been watching Top Gear on it before I go to bed!>
>> I still use the Nokia for emails though due to its proper qwerty keyboard.

I can 'type' on the Samsung Galaxy S using Swype as fast as I can type on a fullsize keyboard. I assume you've not played with Swype much on the Galaxy S?
Nope not looked Swype yet but I was without my phone for 8 days as my last Galaxy S went down the toilet. It was an insurance write off so only got my new one back on Monday and haven't played with it much yet.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 5 Nov 10 at 13:26
See they don't last as long as an iPhone. Fancy it not surviving going down the toilet! Outrageous.

Android 2.2 Froyo is out next Thursday BTW. You'd need to use KIES on a PC to download the firmware and upgrade the phone. Android's Gingerbread is out soon too but who knows if that will ever run on the Galaxy S.
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - Runfer D'Hills
Friend of mine still uses a Nokia ( 6310 ?) which has been in his garden pond many times. He keeps it in his shirt top pocket and then he goes out to feed his fish...

Apparently he now keeps it in the airing cupboard at night to give it a chance to dry a bit before its next swim...

Still works.
I have still got my nokia 6680, which has been dropped more times than I remeber and has the battle scars to prove it , i got it in 2005 it still works perfectly.

I use it when the keyboard on the blackberry gives up (which it frequently does) roll the tracker ball and it puts random characters into the password entry field, rendering impossible to log in.

It will be the last time I get a blackberry, when I can renew It will be a nokia, unless I join the I-phone crowd.
Last edited by: Redviper on Fri 5 Nov 10 at 14:06
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - Ted

I'm very happy with my Doro. It makes and receives calls and texts, tells me the time and wake me up. It stores all my contacts.
It also.....................oh, that's it really.
It's got a ring like old fire engine and a loudspeaker like a Tannoy.........what more does an old git want ?

Ted
I reckon, over the next 18 months, phones will shrink to the size of an iPod nano. You will wear them on your chest like a broach and tap to speak. It will be fully voice controlled. The killer feature will be transportation to anywhere on Earth simply by saying "beam me up".

John
>> I reckon, over the next 18 months, phones will shrink to the size of an
>> iPod nano. You will wear them on your chest like a broach and tap to
>> speak. It will be fully voice controlled. The killer feature will be transportation to anywhere
>> on Earth simply by saying "beam me up".
Thas coming in 18 months?

On Iphone, Steve jobs will only allow certain portals to beam to, and on Android you will end up with someone else's face because they think it looks better.
" you will end up with someone else's face because they think it looks better. " They would probably be right :-)

John
 What will mobile phones have in the next 18 months - movilogo
Capability of adding a keyboard and TV so that it can be a replacement of desktop computer.
My Android phone will plug into a TV (not via HDMI though) and display the full screen. And not just video. I add this is what I believe because I've not tested. Adding a Bluetooth keyboard should also be possible.
Latest Forum Posts