Non-motoring > Fireworks. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 98

Fireworks. - FotheringtonTomas
Is Sunday night outrageously late to have a bonfire and fireworks?
 Fireworks. - RattleandSmoke
No :).

Just make sure you burn a few people on the bonfire - I will give you a list (and no they are not members on here).

Fireworks. - Cliff Pope
It depends what you mean by "night".

From the BERR website:

"It is an offence to let fireworks off during night hours (11pm to 7am), except on Bonfire Night (midnight), Diwali, New Year, and Chinese New Year (1am). "

So up to 11pm will be legal on Sunday 7th November.
 Fireworks. - madf
Of course you can have a bonfire and fireworks any time...

That's the kind of actions that your neighbours appreciate when you set off a giant noisy firework to celebrate midnight on Sunday night : particularly those who have to get up early Monday morning.

Ever Mr Grumpy...
 Fireworks. - Pat
...and those who have kept their animals in for the past week because of fireworks every night.
Don't forget to check the bonfire for hedgehogs, FT.

Pat
 Fireworks. - sherlock47
>>>Don't forget to check the bonfire for hedgehogs, FT.<<<

they taste better when only lightly browned.

tinyurl.com/tastyhedgehog1

Fireworks. - R.P.
Sadly as my dog comes from good shooting stock he rather likes fireworks and would, no doubt, not be averse to letting off a few bangers himself if he could- he is a yob.
I thought banders were ilegal now? At least they are in Manchester, it is also offence here to let of fireworks during most of the year, I think there is a week round bonfire night and a week at Christmas plus the usual muslim/chineese/hindu celebrations.
 Fireworks. - madf
>> I thought banders were ilegal now? At least they are in Manchester, it is also
>> offence here to let of fireworks during most of the year, >>

They've given up fireworks in Manchester.. and replaced them with guns... Use them anytime...
Which is actually a complete myth, any city with a wider population of 2.6 million will have a few shootings but the total amount of shootings this year in Greater Manchester has been a hell of a lot less than Cumbria.

Also the main gang behind the shootings of the past have all been given a minimum of 35 years so gangland shootings have mainly stopped since they have been locked up.

I went to school in Moss Side (the heart of Manchesters gangland) and I have never seen a gun in my life.
 Fireworks. - R.P.
Well defended Ratts no-one could argue with your stats !
 Fireworks. - Zero
The total # of shootings in cumbria this year is a bit of a blip in the stats.
 Fireworks. - Duncan

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1120016.stm
 Fireworks. - madf
Duncan's link is .. err interesting:

"Nationally, there were reduced levels of drug offences, which fell by 11% to 115,500. "

I find that hard to believe.

Fireworks. - R.P.
Less being caught that's all
 Fireworks. - Crankcase
Same number caught, just "re-crimed", which appears to be what they call ticking a different box to make the stats show whatever is flavour of the month.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 4 Nov 10 at 14:44
 Fireworks. - AshT
The BBC page is dated 2001...
 Fireworks. - Phil I
The link to the BBCNews item is 9(nine)years old so no comparisons here. Move along plse

Happy Motoring Phil I
 Fireworks. - Duncan
tinyurl.com/337789g

It is hard to find comparative figures that are not years out of date.
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 4 Nov 10 at 18:05
 Fireworks. - MD
Springer clearly. No Lab' manners?
 Fireworks. - Ted
>
>> Don't forget to check the bonfire for hedgehogs, FT.
>>
>> Pat
>>
>> You don't seem to get Rip-Raps any more. No finer entertainment than tying one to a cat's tail.

Ted
 Fireworks. - Pat
You do, and I'll tie one to your tail Ted.

Pat
 Fireworks. - Ted

You'll have to find it first !

Ted
 Fireworks. - sherlock47
Please, just for the uneducated southerners, WTF is a Rip-Rap.

Googling only gives very unlikely candidates - but urban street slang is educational.
 Fireworks. - CGNorwich
I suspect a rip-rap is what used to be know as a jumping jack in London. Now illegal I believe
 Fireworks. - Zero
They were good - the jumping jack. And the aeroplanes. And bangers.

The best were the hand held Roman candles that shot balls of fire out. We used to play "gunfight at the OK Corral"
 Fireworks. - R.P.
Happy days....no harm came to us (twitch)
 Fireworks. - Zero
>> Happy days....no harm came to us (twitch)

A scar here, a burn there. All excellent aid memoirs about what's safe and what's not.
 Fireworks. - CGNorwich
My favourite was the 2 1/2d banger tied to half a brick. You need to wait until the fuse starts fizzing (but not too long!) and then lob into a pond. The fuse will continue burning under water and the arrangement makes an excellent depth charge.

A fizzing banger flushed down the school lavatory also has most satisfactory results.
 Fireworks. - CGNorwich

A jumping jack

pyrotechnics.no-ip.org/files/)%20with%20green%20string%20(standard).jpg
 Fireworks. - sherlock47
Thanks for that. I remember them well - IIRC straightened out they used to make a big bang!

Googling rip rap with pyrotechnics does bring up some other types as well.

Fireworks. - Armel Coussine
Fireworks are great, the noisier and more violent the better. Army thunderflashes are the best bangers. Blow all the glass out of an old-style phonebox that, or send an inverted galvanised dustbin many feet in the air...

You have to be moronic, even at an early age, to do yourself any harm with these things. They should be freely available to anyone over 8 unless their parents think they are morons (nearly everyone's do so you have to go behind their backs).
 Fireworks. - Iffy
...You have to be moronic, even at an early age, to do yourself any harm with these things...

A lad at school blew off a few of his fingers when a banger went off in a milk bottle he was holding.

Can't recall if he was a moron, but I doubt he ever played the piano.

Fireworks. - bathtub tom
>>You have to be moronic, even at an early age, to do yourself any harm with these things

Darwinism.
 Fireworks. - devonite
Bumped into our local Vicar up town this morning, who asked if the Firework party at our local went ok, I said that it did, but a firework killed our dog. He seemed concerned and wanted to know how, so I told him that the dog got out, and some thugs caught him and shoved a firework up his er what`s- it,
Rectum!, proffered the vicar,
Rectum? sure did! blew him apart!
 Fireworks. - Zero
Blimey, that joke is so old Burke and Hare must have dug it up again.
 Fireworks. - MD
Very conservative version, but I don't want to be kicked orf so I ain't telling ya.
 Fireworks. - Kevin
In my early teens I was heavily into Chemistry and used to make my own fireworks.

I'd been to the library and filled in a request card for books on fireworks and explosives. About a week or so later the postcard dropped through the door saying they were ready for collection. There were eleven of them, all about the size of a volume of Britannica and I was only allowed to borrow three at a time so it took me weeks to study them and take notes.

I made a list of the ingredients I needed and my dad bought them for me from a lab supply company called Prestons in Sheffield. Nitrates, chlorates, aluminium and magnesium powders etc. for the fireworks, concentrated nitric and sulphuric for other amusements.

I wonder what would happen if a teenager walked into a library today and made the same request?
 Fireworks. - Zero
Wont matter, in two years your library will be gone.
 Fireworks. - MD
trust you.
 Fireworks. - Zero
Anyway, everyone knows you type into the web "how to build a bomb"

And the next thing you know you have people banging on your door
 Fireworks. - Zero
Hold up? who's that knocking on the door?
I have already got my name and address on the met polices terrorism database because I dared to take artistic pictures in the docklands area.

Anyway crime wise the only victim I have ever been of crime is debit card fraud and motoring crime. My mate of Manchester still has a problem with car crime but as I am sure I have discussed before GMPs attitude to car crime in my area stinks. Their attitude is I live in a posh part of Manchester so I can afford the increased insurance premiums. My sister said who works for the filth if I had a different poorer postcode in Manchester their attitude would have been completely different when my old corsa got broken into

However I still don't believe crime is a real problem where I live. It was far worse ten years ago.
 Fireworks. - MD
Nearly all crime is on the up. And take a look at the faces that perpetrate most of it. There ain't many with the surname Smith.
 Fireworks. - Harleyman
>> Nearly all crime is on the up. And take a look at the faces that
>> perpetrate most of it. There ain't many with the surname Smith.
>>

Not even the Smith family's Robbing Son? ;-)
 Fireworks. - madf
>> I have already got my name and address on the met polices terrorism database because
>> I dared to take artistic pictures in the docklands area.
>>

The police told me they were going to charge you with crimes against art...
 Fireworks. - Bellboy
Fireworks.
_____
______________recession?
______________________________what recession ??
 Fireworks. - Dave_
>> Fireworks.... recession?... what recession ??

Oh I don't know. The local paid-for display was all of 12 minutes long last night, instead of the usual half an hour. Didn't seem to be anywhere near the usual amount of private houses letting fireworks off this year either, and those that did had exhausted their supplies far earlier in the evening than normal - all quiet by 9.30pm the last few evenings.
 Fireworks. - Harleyman
Didn't seem to be anywhere near the
>> usual amount of private houses letting fireworks off this year either, and those that did
>> had exhausted their supplies far earlier in the evening than normal - all quiet by
>> 9.30pm the last few evenings.
>>

One trend I'm happy to encourage.

It's always struck me as being totally wrong that responsible adults had to give up their legally-held firearms in the wake of Dunblane, and yet any half-witted chav can buy as many fireworks as he likes provided he's physically (if not mentally) over a certain age.

I don't particularly mind fireworks, provided they're in the form of a professional display.

However, had Guy Fawkes been of what is politely termed an ethnic minority, the "celebration" would have been stopped long ago.
 Fireworks. - borasport
>>
>> However, had Guy Fawkes been of what is politely termed an ethnic minority, the "celebration"

But he was a member of a what was and still is a religious minority, and in your post on the wearing of Poppies you were happy to perpetuate an urban myth about that same group ?
 Fireworks. - Harleyman

>> and in your post on the wearing of Poppies you were happy to perpetuate an
>> urban myth about that same group ?
>>

I take it you're referring to Celtic's ban on poppy sellers?

Not a myth, sir. I only wish it was.
 Fireworks. - Iffy
...I take it you're referring to Celtic's ban on poppy sellers?...

I went to an old firm game at Parkhead as a birthday treat.

I witnessed religious bigotry from both sides the like of which I've never experienced anywhere else.

The atmosphere, albeit inspired by hatred, was the best I've ever experienced in a football ground.

More than 50,000 bellowing Scots made one hell of a racket - and that was before Graeme Souness was sent off.

Fireworks. - Harleyman

>>
>> Not a myth, sir. I only wish it was.
>>

Apparently Celtic Football Club do contribute towards the poppy appeal.

I accept that my information was wrong and therefore withdraw the allegation.
 Fireworks. - Bellboy
all quiet by 9.30pm the last few evenings.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> you is lucky
tonights quiet so far though,guess the chavs are waiting till midnight again like last year sunday
 Fireworks. - MD
Chavvy = Gypsy boy.
 Fireworks. - Ted
We am very noisy here, have been since lights on. I expect it'll go on 'til about 1 am.
There is a large Asian population round here and they seem to like to spend a fortune on gunpowder, both now and at Eid.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I get a little concerned that a rocket might hit the workshops or caravan. and cause a fire.......never has yet, though. More likely to get a large burnt out rocket denting the caravan roof.

Ted

Fireworks. - Iffy
...More likely to get a large burnt out rocket denting the caravan roof...

A couple of rockets landed in the back yard (parking area) of Iffy Towers a couple of years ago.

Those who ignited them meant no harm, but had a smouldering rocket landed on the CC3, it would have made a nasty mark in the paint.

I'm out the way in the caravan in leafy you-know-where this year.

Haven't heard so much as a single banger.

Fireworks. - Harleyman
>>
>> I'm out the way in the caravan in leafy you-know-where this year.
>>
>> Haven't heard so much as a single banger.

Same here in the principality.

Bliss.

Edit..... Mrs. H tells me that there were a few pyrotechnics in town on Friday night, but since I was in the office with me headphones on I remained unaware.

Suits me.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 7 Nov 10 at 20:44
 Fireworks. - BobbyG
Friends heard a clatter and discovered a firework or some sort had came through their conservatory roof. £200 excess and awaiting a repair now and yes, its pouring down here!
 Fireworks. - bathtub tom
>>There is a large Asian population round here and they seem to like to spend a fortune on gunpowder, both now and at Eid.

I think you'll find it's the Indian, Hindu festival of Diwali.

Eid ends at Ramadan, IIRC, or as I like to call it, Ramadan-a-ding-long.

Fatwah coming!
 Fireworks. - Bromptonaut
Ramadan ends with the festival of Eid al Futr. The exact date depends on sightings of the moon and it shifts around the calender year accordingly moving back 3/4 weeks annually in the worldwide calender. This year it was in the second week of September, next year it is expected around 28/29 August.

Diwali is also determined by the moon but, like Easter, it moves within parameters so that it always falls in October or November.
 Fireworks. - bathtub tom
Yes. I got Eid and Ramadan mixed.

Curious situation locally. There seems to be disagreements between different mosques so they celebrate Eid on different days. I'm told two of them don't get on and they wouldn't celebrate on the same day as a matter of principle.

A bit like the Welsh castaway who was rescued after many years. Showing his rescuers around the island they asked why he'd built two chapels. "Oh, that's the one I don't go to".
 Fireworks. - CGNorwich

It quite simple to calculate the date of Eid

Eid al-Adha is celebrated annually on the 10th day of the 12th and the last Islamic month of Dhu al-Hijjah (ذو الحجة) of the lunar Islamic calendar

While Eid al-Adha is always on the same day of the Islamic calendar, the date on the Gregorian calendar varies from year to year since the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar and the Gregorian calendar is a solar calendar. The lunar calendar is approximately eleven days shorter than the solar calendar. Each year, Eid al-Adha (like other Islamic holidays) falls on one of two different Gregorian dates in different parts of the world, due to the fact that the boundary of crescent visibility is different from the International Date Line.

Thanks Wikipedia
 Fireworks. - Hard Cheese

What gets me is that if I chuck a sweet wrapper, a bit of carboard tube and a stick out of the car window then I can get a criminal record though I can legally use high explosive to scatter them with no care as to where they end up.

Fireworks. - helicopter
Just to advise anyone who wishes to know that Eid Al Adha this year will mean most Middle East business will be closed from 15th to 18th November.

This means a quiet week for me next week.
 Fireworks. - Zero
That's useful, thats really sorted that one out.

I shall use my traditional method. Ask my newsagent.

Its handy to know, some of the wife's friends send round a ton of food. Absolutly fabodoodoo it is too.
 Fireworks. - Iffy
...I shall use my traditional method...

I shall also use my traditional method - pay as much attention to their festival days as they do to mine.

Fireworks. - Dave_
>> pay as much attention to their festival days as they do to mine

When I first started cabbing, one of the other drivers explained Eid to me as being a bit like their Christmas. So I told him I'd charge him and his family double time if they needed transport that day. :)
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Mon 8 Nov 10 at 10:11
 Fireworks. - Bromptonaut
>> ...I shall use my traditional method...
>>
>> I shall also use my traditional method - pay as much attention to their festival
>> days as they do to mine.

I doubt anybody at home takes any notice either. Working in multicultural London it affects staff leave etc, particularly around Ramadan.

The Eid festival CGN mentions is incidentally not the one marking the end of Ramadan, which occured in September this year.

My colleague sitting opposite will happily explain it all to me.

I like the joke about the Welsh castaway; adapts equally well to inhabitants of certain Scottish Isalnds.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 8 Nov 10 at 11:56
 Fireworks. - Iffy
...Working in multicultural London it affects staff leave etc...

A pal of mine worked in a two-man office in the West End.

His colleague observed, I think, Ramadan, anyway it involved fasting for a few weeks.

My pal didn't like it because there was no one to go for lunch with for that period.

Fireworks. - FotheringtonTomas
Well, no complaints from the neighbours where these things were let off. Also surprisingly, no-one called the fire brigade, either[1], the bonfire went really well, 18' flames like a huge bright yellow blowtorch.

Highly recommended: Lidl's "Fire-fighter" £10 IIRC) - a gentle lead-in to a loud barrage of crackles and booms with lots of stars and sparks, 25-Carat (2 for £12) - repeated loud explosions and stars, and "Ipanema" (2 for £12) - from the word go a loud succession of spiralling silvery-tailed things that simply zoom up and go BANG! with loys of crackles (these my favourite I think).

www.weco-pyro.de/cms/popup.player.php?detail=3296&name=Ipanema
www.weco-pyro.de/cms/popup.player.php?detail=3248&name=25
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQgg3qfDf8k&feature=related

[1] If the FB are called out by some busy-body, is it in order to tell them they're not required?
 Fireworks. - Cpt. Flack
When I became aware of Diwali in the mid 80s, it was celebrated with candles, and that was it. Now in these communities it is like WW3. Go have a look next year, it's an experience.

I think home fireworks, which can be display standard, should be banned and organised displays should be the norm. By all means have a bonfire, but fireworks being let off over a period of about two weeks becomes irritating. The fun as a kid was that it was over a day or two, and that was it. Now we endure the things. They're let off for any excuse throughout the year, and I feel it might be time to stop. At least with organised displays it would all be over within the legal time frame. And be far safer.

Having said that, this year we didn't have any fireworks at home, but I found looking at the leaflets, how much more expensive they were this year. With the weather, I think this had an affect on the amount of fireworks we heard. It seemed rather quiter for once.
 Fireworks. - madf
"The fun as a kid was that it was over a day or two,"

Err when I was a lad, it lasted weeks... and that was over half a century ago...

As for home made fireworks: muppets...
 Fireworks. - CGNorwich
My recollection too madf. Fireworks, including bangers were available many weeks before 5th November. with no restriction as to who bought them.
 Fireworks. - bathtub tom
I was surprised to find I had to be over 21 to buy some Christmas crackers, as was the check-out staff.

I can only surmise it's due to the explosive in the 'bang'.
 Fireworks. - madf
As mentioned above: 2 1/2 p bangers -- underwater or tied to large rocket with long fuse...

Spectacular explosions about 50 feet up.

We surgically extracted ALL the powder from about 10 of them and placed in an old tin can, put lid back on , wired it tight with fence wire, punched small hole in lid - BEFORE can was filled, long fuse, lit it and ran and hid behind a wall.

I was deaf for about 2 hours after, the can was obliterated apart from the base .. fortunately no nearby windows.

Note the safety precautions: HSE would have been proud of us..

Seriously dangerous though...

All that went on weeks before Nov 5th..

All in the name of science...

Never had an accident as we took great care to avoid sparks, used long fuses, and only lit matches when we were sure fireworks were free of loose powder...

Most home made enthusiasts were not so careful hence my muppets comment above..

I tried making rockets - all we got was a giant £1 banger - :-) Powder too loose in tube and all ignited at once..

Friend acquired distress flares from coastguard and used them at his fireworks party in town... He set a local house on fire as they were phosphorus based,.

(I lived two miles from the nearest town and our nearest neighbour was 0.5miles away so had no such qualms)
Last edited by: madf on Mon 8 Nov 10 at 17:03
 Fireworks. - CGNorwich
These are the jobbies:

terenceruffle.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bang20-415-x-600.jpg

The one in the middle is the 2 1/2d. Happy days!
 Fireworks. - Bellboy
i have a firework tip
DONT fasten a few rockets together with gaffa tape and light them for a spectacular airborne show
they shoot across gardens and nearly hit spectators..
oops :-(
 Fireworks. - R.P.
Oh yes had some fun with some of them babies and not as long ago as all that !
 Fireworks. - Iffy
I recall bangers and super bangers, which were a bit longer and fatter and supposedly made a bigger bang.

What were they called?

Fireworks. - Runfer D'Hills
BANGERS...probably...
 Fireworks. - PhilW
"super bangers.
What were they called?"

3-2-1- zero?
Seem to remember they were a bit better than "penny bangers" Cost 3d (present 1 or 2 p?)
I'm not going into the various dirty deeds we did with them on "mischief night"!!
 Fireworks. - Iffy
There a pic here of a 2d Thunder Flash, which might be what I was thinking of.

tinyurl.com/3a2nwxf
 Fireworks. - VxFan
>> I recall bangers and super bangers, which were a bit longer and fatter and supposedly made a bigger bang.

Bangers are so weedy when compared with the bang you get from crow scarers. Handy having a mate whose dad didn't hide the keys to his farm shed that well ;o)
 Fireworks. - MD
'Our' main bonfire in the field immediately behind my Parent's house was guarded all night for a week before the 5th by several of 'us' with air guns. As was the oppositions across the river some 400yds away. Several attempts were made by both parties to ignite the oppos' fire prior to the due date. Neither ever succeeded mainly due to some minor skin penetrations caused by I know not what. B.S.A Airsporters didn't mess about even then. The weapon of choice. Oh! happy happy days. Miss them all......the days that is.
 Fireworks. - Armel Coussine
Real army thunderflashes used for training. Those are the thing.
 Fireworks. - Dog
The best bangs I've ever experienced (careful now!) were achieved via lobbing a few large empty paint aerosol cans into the pyre.
 Fireworks. - VxFan
>> achieved via lobbing a few large empty paint aerosol cans into the pyre.

A can of damp start is quite good too.
 Fireworks. - Zero
Great flamethrower as well.
 Fireworks. - VxFan
Yes indeedy.
 Fireworks. - Iffy
...Great flamethrower as well...

Hairspray and deodorant also flared a treat.

Fireworks. - Zero
>> ...Great flamethrower as well...
>>
>> Hairspray and deodorant also flared a treat.

Indeed, but that's only the propellant that flared, with damp start the actual stuff is pretty explosive.
 Fireworks. - bathtub tom
I had ants entering the house around where the boilers sits, so I sprayed some ant-killer around, forgetting about the pilot!

The hair grew back - eventually.
 Fireworks. - Dog
>>A can of damp start is quite good too<<

It's a wonder how we all survived!

:-)
 Fireworks. - helicopter
I too sometimes wonder how I survived with all my fingers as a lad Dog.

I buy Class 1 explosives ( mainly flares ) in the course of my work and ship them to the Middle East from USA ....... very difficult in the current climate!

I see that our US supplier who are a major supplier to the US military, even with all the ISO 9000 procedures still had an explosion in their factory a couple of months back , six people were seriously hurt.
 Fireworks. - Zero

>> I buy Class 1 explosives ( mainly flares ) in the course of my work
>> and ship them to the Middle East from USA ....... very difficult in the current
>> climate!

I have some used toner cartridges I can sell you?

>> I see that our US supplier who are a major supplier to the US military,
>> even with all the ISO 9000 procedures still had an explosion in their factory a
>> couple of months back , six people were seriously hurt.

Now THIS is a major explosion at an explosives factory.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K0cEX9ex3U&feature=geosearch

Ok rocket fuel factory
 Fireworks. - helicopter
I wondered how long it would be before I was offered the printer cartridges Zero... ......fortunately all our shipments have the relevant export licences , end user and no objection certificates.

What is rather worrying is that Qatar Airways , the airline I flew last week admitted that they had transported the suspect printer cartridges from Yemen to Dubai as freight in a passenger plane......

particulary worrying also ......

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Emirati investigators said Sunday there is no evidence a UPS cargo plane that crashed in Dubai in September was brought down by an explosion, heading off speculation that the accident might be linked to parcel bombs sent from Yemen.

HMMM , it seems just a bit too much of a coincidence don't you think......
 Fireworks. - Ted
>>

>>
>> Now THIS is a major explosion at an explosives factory.
>>
>....and so is this, and we did it so much better than the Yanks.

www.bradfordhistorical.org.uk/antiquary/third/vol03/lowmoor.html

37 dead, a gas holder, a school over 2 miles away damaged, 20 houses destroyed.
Hushed up at the time 'cos of the war.

I've often wondered what sort of a pop my little GTN angina spray would make thrown on a fire.
I think it's nitro glycerine . Never go to bonfires though.

Ted
 Fireworks. - Zero
pah

a mere banger compared to this Monster, that few have heard of.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Fauld_explosion
www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/articles/2008/08/15/hanbury_crater_feature.shtml
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 9 Nov 10 at 13:37
Latest Forum Posts