Non-motoring > Bucket and spade, anyone ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 10

Bucket and spade, anyone ? - Ted

Amazing stuff

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM6kJBnllas

I can just about do a bucket shaped castle with a Union Flag stuck in the top !

Ted
 Bucket and spade, anyone ? - Iffy
Must be the right type of sand.
 Bucket and spade, anyone ? - -
Amazing, the skill and perseverance that went into making those, we enjoyed that thanks for posting up Ted.
 Bucket and spade, anyone ? - Bromptonaut
The yuo tube clip won't work for me.

There used to be a guy who did sand sculpture for charity working Scarborough's South Bay round August BH - not there on my last visit in 2009 though.
 Bucket and spade, anyone ? - Perky Penguin
Link OK for me. Brilliant work there. I wonder what happens if it rains? Definitely some special type of sand, very very fine I guess.
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Thu 4 Nov 10 at 07:59
 Bucket and spade, anyone ? - Cliff Pope
It's very brown sand - I suspect the addition of modelling clay.

I was on the local beach once when a middle-aged man on his own appeared, and settled down to building a very elaborate castle. He appeared to be a professional practising for a competition. In hardly any time he constructed his castle, then kicked it down and hurried off.

I noticed he used a special technique for turning the sand out of the bucket. Most people upend the bucket, plonk it down, give it a tap, and then remove the bucket.
This man tapped the sand impression out onto his hand first, and then carefully placed it in position. I could see the point - it avoided any risk of disturbing the structure and causing a collapse, which is what often happens to amateurs.
 Bucket and spade, anyone ? - BiggerBadderDave
I think I read somewhere that they spray it with some fixing agent.

But I might have made that up.
 Bucket and spade, anyone ? - madf
>> I think I read somewhere that they spray it with some fixing agent.
>>
>> But I might have made that up.
>>

Quick drying cement?
 Bucket and spade, anyone ? - BiggerBadderDave
Stranger things have happened Madf

I fix my charcoal drawings with the wife's hairspray.
 Bucket and spade, anyone ? - Londoner
Wonderful sand sculptures! (The background music was horrible, though)
 Bucket and spade, anyone ? - devonite
Made out of cardboard, placed on beach, sprayed with areosol glue and very fine sand sprinkled over them to give the desired appearence! - note: no holes or pits where all that sand was supposedly excavated from! - skeptical? me? nah!
Latest Forum Posts