Non-motoring > Quest, freeview channel 38 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 20

Quest, freeview channel 38 - bathtub tom
I've become somewhat addicted to this, cars, canals, aircraft and industrial archaeology.

I'm wondering what percentage of time's spent on advertising future episodes relative to the actual broadcast?

I suspect the ratio's greater than 1:1.
 Quest, freeview channel 38 - Stuartli
Quest took a long time to get off the ground - the original launch date was put back at least once.

In the days of ONDigital I used to thoroughly enjoy the Discovery Wings channel, along with vet Mike Evans and his various car and plane projects; some of these programmes are now being aired on Quest.
 Quest, freeview channel 38 - Redviper
My partner likes to watch a lot of programmes on the “other channels” especially American imported reality things such as “hells kitchen USA” to name but a few

I have found that there isn’t actually a lot of programming

The programme is scheduled for 1 hour

Take out the adverts (and they are longer on the subscription channels) that’s 45 min* of programming

Take out the bits that tell you what happened last week (another 3 min* perhaps) at the start of the programme , leaves you with 41 min*

Take out the bits that tell you what’s going to happen next week another 3 min* perhaps, leaves you with 38 min

Take out the bits that tell you “what’s coming up next” before each ad break 1 min* X 4 (ad breaks) – leaves you with 34 min of programming.

So for 1 hour you get about 34 min of programming – pretty rubbish really.

* Nothing more than a guesstimate.
 Quest, freeview channel 38 - diddy1234
I thought most programs were like that now days.

Programs like Flash Forward and The Event are also like this.

Adverts just after the opening credits, then 3 minutes recapping what happened in the last episode.

Is the intended American audience that thick that they cannot remember what they were watching ?
Wow vegetative TV....
 Quest, freeview channel 38 - Bagpuss
>> So for 1 hour you get about 34 min of programming – pretty rubbish really.

I've noticed this especially when recording US sitcoms onto DVDs.

I recorded an episode of Absolutely Fabulous (for my wife, she'd never seen it), net running time was 28 minutes.

I then recorded an episode of Two and a Half Men, shown in Germany but in German and therefore unwatchable. Net running time without commercial breaks but with the fluffy dog bit after the credits have rolled? 21 minutes!

Both, of course, are programs for a nominal 30 minute viewing slot.
 Quest, freeview channel 38 - Bigtee
I've become somewhat addicted to this, cars, canals, aircraft and industrial archaeology

Is this the channel that did a excellent programs of a canal boat called Daisy?

I was glued to this and recorded lots it filled a boring saturday.

Far too many house programs & more of general interest id like.
 Quest, freeview channel 38 - Iffy
...Quest....

Good info, thanks.

I'd not looked at it because I thought it was one of those naughty channels where young ladies say they want to be your girlfriend but they don't really.

Quest, freeview channel 38 - R.P.
Another vote for Discovery Wings - anyone remember the name of that aviation history programme fronted by a blonde British guy and Neil Armstrong ?
...pedant alert...pedant alert...pedant alert...pedant alert...pedant alert...pedant alert...

Blonde British guy?

The word 'blonde' with an 'e' is used to describe a female, 'blond' without an 'e' is used to describe a male.

More on this burningly important issue here:

englishplus.com/grammar/00000275.htm
Well you learn something new everyday - I'll remember that for the rest of my life...:-0
...I'll remember that for the rest of my life....

Won't apply to you, but job candidates have been marked down in interviews for such 'mistakes'.

So while a lot of people on here think it's no more than tiresome pedantry, like it or not, these things can have a real world impact.
You're right again iffy - I can't conceivably imagine any scenario where I'll be expected to spell blonde/blond correctly gender-wise in any interview and if, however improbably I do, I'll get it right won't I ?
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 2 Nov 10 at 16:48
...I'll get it right won't I ?...

You will, although these days the interviewer is just as likely to be unaware of the difference.

He'll probably write you off as a pedantic know-all and give the job to somebody else. :)

I dislike the spelling without the "e" - as it seems so American...
Bob Dylan used the 'e' in Blonde on Blonde.

A double album which would have made a good single one (our music critic writes).

Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 2 Nov 10 at 16:58
Can you remember the name of the programme, the one with Neil Armstrong and the British guy with the flowing hair of an uncertain colour ?
 Quest, freeview channel 38 - spamcan61
>> I dislike the spelling without the "e" - as it seems so American...
>>

I thought 'blonde' was gender neutral and 'blond' was the American spelling.
Sadly we're wrong and I have a feeling we won't be allowed to forget it.
...Sadly we're wrong and I have a feeling we won't be allowed to forget it...

Even I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about this now.

Can someone come up with the name of this aviation programme, please?

Quest, freeview channel 38 - spamcan61
>> ...Sadly we're wrong and I have a feeling we won't be allowed to forget it...
>>
>> Even I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about this now.
>>
>> Can someone come up with the name of this aviation programme, please?
>>
LOL, I'm quite happy to be informed when I'm cutting corners gramatically ;-)

Google suggests 'First flights with Neil Armstrong'
I thought that was the one originally, not sure now.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 2 Nov 10 at 17:27
Latest Forum Posts