Non-motoring > A most excellent waste of time. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 24

A most excellent waste of time. - R.P.
I'm talking about James May's Man Lab......watched it last night, what an excellent way to pass an hour it was - full of useless information but somehow most fulfilling. I'm pretty confident II could defuse a German wartime bomb now...
 A most excellent waste of time. - Zero
Of course, every man knows how to do that, by george.

I knew anyway, I had read many uxb books.

Hes such a boy scout is our james.
 A most excellent waste of time. - diddy1234
The concrete kitchen top got me.
Definatley a man's idea. over engineered

I certainty think that would last a thousand years. lol
The only worry I would have with that would be curry stains.
 A most excellent waste of time. - madf
I watched it.

His train set was so 1950s...
 A most excellent waste of time. - Dave_
>> His train set was so 1950s...

It was 1950s in the sense that it went everywhere, in a pre-Beeching way. I want a train track linking every room in my house.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Tue 2 Nov 10 at 14:36
 A most excellent waste of time. - sherlock47
If you wish to really waste time try
www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect/quiz/

I find the program probably the best watch of the week. But it is probably an acquired taste!
 A most excellent waste of time. - Dulwich Estate
OK it's not meant to be a true documentary programme but I was disappointed about the lack of detail because he's supposed to be educating us. I accept that concrete might be my thing, but for the worktop there was no mention of mould oil, stainless steel reinforcement (that's what it looked like), getting the concrete to flow properly - compaction (?), vibration (?) and then no comment about the the poor edges where the finish broke away. What about aggregate size, cement colour ?

Maybe I should limit my viewing to Open University TV !
 A most excellent waste of time. - MD
You lot need to get out!!! o:)
 A most excellent waste of time. - Perky Penguin
I like James May - he at least seems to have his feet on the ground and his brain working when his lips move. What is it with the mangy lion look re the mane/hair? Could he not comb or groom it or perhaps just have it styled?
 A most excellent waste of time. - RattleandSmoke
What channel was this on? Edit as suspected its BBC and it is on Iplayer, I shall watch it :).
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 2 Nov 10 at 22:23
 A most excellent waste of time. - Bellboy
i taped it
ok i hard drived it
i havent watched it though
ive kept it for that rainy night in georgia that never comes
BBC Rats. Good egg May - at least he was honest about open tuning his guitar !
 A most excellent waste of time. - Bigtee
A most excellent waste of time.

What other than spending time on this site which is becoming a bit stale!

Less bickering may just do it..............
 A most excellent waste of time. - smokie
"If you wish to really waste time try
www.bbc.co.uk/onlyconnect/quiz/"

Thoroughly enjoyed that, thanks. Didn't get many 100% right, and some I didn't even get started!
 A most excellent waste of time. - hobby
He wrote a full article on his thoughts on this in the Radio Times this week... well worth reading...

I tend to agree with him... I also mess around with model railways and a lot of my stuff is built from scratch using skills gained over the years from school onwards... But many younger modellers regard railway modelling as just buying the loco and getting it out of the box and putting it on the track... they don't actually anything, just collect bits...
 A most excellent waste of time. - WillDeBeest
Great fun, that, PU. Nice to see May get his kit from Messam's hardware shop in West Street, Chichester. Favoured supplier of my late father and a place where you really can roll up with a shopping list like that and walk out with everything you need - well, perhaps everything except the needly thing.
That was a brilliant bit of comedy actually - I worked in an Ironmongers school hols and that - the real Arkwright's till was invented there !
There is a shop like that near me. I still haven't learn to go there first but I seem to spend hours in the big DIY stores not been able to find it and I go to this tiny hardware shop and they have it.

A most excellent waste of time. - CGNorwich
Thorns in Norwich is very much the old style ironmongers. An amazing rambing building with wooden floors and stairs presided over by knowledgeable men in brown coats. Bought a couple of O rings in there last week. Total cost 15p and duly wrapped in a brown paper bag and presented with a receipt.
 A most excellent waste of time. - Bellboy
when we made a big sale like that i used to give the staff the rest of the day off
 A most excellent waste of time. - bathtub tom
Our local hardware store had to close to have its wooden floor replaced, The old one had worn out and had a lovely 'springy' feel to it.

And it is a shame that is why so many of these hardware stores close down. Far too many transactions of less than £1. Even in the one near me I think the most I have spent in one go is about £12 and that is because I needed some 13 amp cable.

A most excellent waste of time. - swiss tony
>> And it is a shame that is why so many of these hardware stores close
>> down. Far too many transactions of less than £1. Even in the one near me
>> I think the most I have spent in one go is about £12 and that
>> is because I needed some 13 amp cable.
>>
>>
So that worked out at less than £1 per amp....
 A most excellent waste of time. - Armel Coussine
Gamages basement... the shop down the back of where I lived in North Ken... I'll be in tears in a minute... but there's one quite like that near here too.
Latest Forum Posts