Non-motoring > Food - and drink - combinations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 85

Food - and drink - combinations - Iffy
It fascinates me how some foods go so well together, and how I almost instinctively know they do.

A cold beef or ham sandwich is improved by a tomato, but the thought of 'chicken and tomato' is almost off-putting.

Lots of people like 'ham and egg' in various guises, but I don't.

I can get away with 'ham and cheese', but much as I love cheese, I'm not keen on it with other meat, with the possible exception of a burger.

Pork - or gammon - takes a sharp fruity sauce such as apple or pineapple, but you wouldn't dream of using those sauces with beef or poultry.

I suppose apple sauce with lamb is just about acceptable.

Drink can also be involved.

I had a pint of Guinness the other day, and to me it screams cold seafood - mussels, whelks or perhaps prawns.

Oysters would be another candidate with dark stout, but I've never had 'em, and I don't want to turn this into a bank balance thread.

What are your thoughts on food/food and food/drink combinations?
 Food - and drink - combinations - Runfer D'Hills
Sandwiches -

Cheese and beetroot
Fish fingers and beetroot
Beef and pickled onion
Ham and Branston
Chicken and chutney
 Food - and drink - combinations - Zero
Curry = Ice cold Beer
Chinese = Ice cold Rose
 Food - and drink - combinations - RattleandSmoke
I hate mayonase I can't eat anything with it, it is a problem in London where there seems to be an idea that mayonase and beef burgers go well together. I have been caught out a few times with that.

However I love collslaw which also contains mayo.

>> I hate mayonase I can't eat anything with it, it is a problem in London
>> where there seems to be an idea that mayonase and beef burgers go well together.

It does, and with chips.
You see the idea of that makes me feel sick.
 Food - and drink - combinations - CGNorwich
Don't go to Belgium then Rattle - Chips and mayonnaise is virtually the national dish.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Bellboy
i thought it was woffles
Yep been told that before. Never actually been to Belgium but have been to Brussels station to change trains. May have been when I was going from Berlin to Amsterdam. Now Berlin that is a city which i love food wise. Lots of beer and lots of sausages.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Mapmaker
Sandwiches = Beer = Trade Union
Chinese food and Gewurtraminer wine from Alsace go exceptionally well.
 Food - and drink - combinations - MD
Wholemeal bread, rare beef, raw leek slithers and quality horseradish.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Redviper
Steak and peppercorn sauce, oooohhhh heaven

Chips and Mayo - Lush!!!!

Chicken, cheese sauce and cheese aka Chicken Parmo - Heart attack on a plate but, again lush!!!!!
 Food - and drink - combinations - Alastairw
The king of sandwiches:

Strong cheddar on white bread and butter with a thick layer of cheap raspberry jam on the cheese.

Go on try it - you know you want to.
 Food - and drink - combinations - WillDeBeest
I will try that, Alastair, but I bet it's better still with a smear of good bitter-sweet marmalade in place of the jam.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Manatee
My favourite sandwich is tuna (no mayo), cream cheese, and onion. Worth trying.

I've never tried cheese and marmalade, I do like sausage and sharp marmalade though.

When I've been ill, and off my nose bag, the first morning I wake up with an appetite I want grilled spam sandwiches on soft white bread. Rarely eat it otherwise!

And an honourable mention for bananas and custard in the pudding department; and vanilla ice cream with advocaat (the only use I have found for advocaat).
Mussels with NZ riesling - had an indecently good one last Friday. Never been a great white wine drinker, but I suspect I've not been paying enough to get to the level where they don't all taste the same. This one was £9 and worth all of it. Would have gone well with an oyster or two instead. They're not cheap but hardly exorbitant either if you buy them as a starter - my fishmonger sells six for £3.50.

Wild duck with proper apple sauce - not the sugary stuff out of a jar, just Bramleys peeled, cored and stewed till they collapse, still tart enough to offset the richness of the fowl.

Shellfish and chorizo - or even black pudding. Presumably a puzzle set by a creator with a sense of humour.
I enjoyed Black Pudding and scallops a week or so ago. Yummy.
My Cousin used to make Jam and Peanut butter sandwiches. He loved them.
Childhood favourite was buttered weetabix with raspberry jam. A bit messy though!
peas and beans on the same plate
ive not met anyone who loves this combination like i do
 Food - and drink - combinations - Bromptonaut
Christmas cake and Wensleydale cheese.
Yes, Brompto, good call! Lancashire or Caerphilly will do instead, but Hawes Creamery Wensleydale is the first choice.

Ever tried eating Christmas cake on its own, before it's iced? I have - and it really is a food that works best in combination. Eww!
 Food - and drink - combinations - Manatee
>> Yes, Brompto, good call! Lancashire or Caerphilly will do instead, but Hawes Creamery Wensleydale is
>> the first choice.
>>
>> Ever tried eating Christmas cake on its own, before it's iced? I have - and
>> it really is a food that works best in combination. Eww!
>>

In Yorkshire I never knew our Christmas cake to be iced. It was usually eaten with cheese, cheshire, lancashire or caerphilly perhaps, if not wensleydale - whatever the man on the market had in that general style.

We have exported the tradition south and several of our southern friends have taken it up enthusiastically. I wouldn't think of putting cheese with an iced cake.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 1 Nov 10 at 21:18
 Food - and drink - combinations - bathtub tom
Tinned prunes and cold custard.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Kevin
>but the thought of 'chicken and tomato' is almost off-putting.

My tastebuds associate a combination of tomato with certain other foods as a metallic taste.

>apple or pineapple, but you wouldn't dream of using those sauces with beef or poultry.

Pineapple goes well with chicken in a Thai curry believe it or not.

>Chinese = Ice cold Rose

I like ice cold Sancerre with Chinese grub. Must be in a proper ice bucket too, 50/50 ice to water, not one of those horrible plastic things.

The warm/cold, crisp/crunchy texture of prawn lettuce parcels washed down with a really dry Sancerre is a favourite of mine. Follow it up with stir fried lamb with ginger and spring onion and you can roll me over and rub my belly.
 Food - and drink - combinations - FotheringtonTomas
>> What are your thoughts on food/food and food/drink combinations?

Food is good. Drink is good. A good dinner with some drink can be great. If you're having a good drink, forget about the food.
 Food - and drink - combinations - R.P.
Greek Yoghurt and honey.
 Food - and drink - combinations - scousehonda
Tinned pears with conny onny and plenty of bread and butter.
 Food - and drink - combinations - smokie
"If you're having a good drink, forget about the food." Yes, agree entirely, many people feel the need to "line their stomach". Not me, I'd sooner not eat, or graze alongside the alcohol.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Pat
I can't come to terms with this sweet and savoury thing.
For me, pork doesn't go with apple sauce, apple sauce goes in pastry and is served with Cornish clotted cream. Likewise with Cranberry jelly and turkey, it's just cranberry jam and should be spread on thickly buttered farmhouse bread.
Rare roast beef isn't complete without horseradish, good Lincolnshire sausages just have to be eaten with English mustard and brussel sprouts improve with a touch of vinegar on them.
Egg and freshly ground black pepper, leeks, ham and cheese and of course, cheese has to be eaten with red wine.

Pat
 Food - and drink - combinations - Crankcase
I think John sums it up nicely.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8eh72REd_s

Porridge and tinned cream (the latter, incidentally, is becoming hard to find).

and on another regional tangent:

Cheese and Bacon with a North Staffs Oatcake.
 Food - and drink - combinations - hawkeye
>> It fascinates me how some foods go so well together, and how I almost instinctively
>> know they do.
>> ...
>> What are your thoughts on food/food and food/drink combinations?
>>
>>

Since Mrs H went back to work, I have filled in various forms and described myself as "homemaker", "primary carer" etc. and although I am the apparently only person in the household who knows how the dishwasher works, nevertheless I am not at home in the kitchen. Subsistence cooking is the norm and I don't generally prepare meals containing bright colours. I watch "Masterchef the Professionals" with a kind of fascinated awe.

My nomination? Individual hot pork pie, mushy peas and mint sauce served in a cereal bowl. If I am feeling terminally hedonistic, I might pour a cloudy Belgian beer to go with it.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Dr Prunesqualler
My particular favourite:
A good glass of scotch (malt of course) and a digestive biscuit.
Probably sacriligious to some but heaven to me.
Please tell me you dont dip one into t'other?
 Food - and drink - combinations - Dr Prunesqualler
Well, I would like to be able to tell you that but I can't.
Just to make matters worse I do it with my favourite tipples: Caol Ila and Bruichladdich.
I am indeed a peasant.
...Well, I would like to be able to tell you that but I can't...

I don't think the combination is as daft as it sounds.

The grain flavour of the whisky will pick up the grain flavour of the biscuit.

I used 9/10's of a bottle of Glenfiddich the other day to soak the fruit for two Christmas cakes. It soaked it all up though, and I know I should have used brandy but I hadn't got any. Will it matter?
Neither of us drink spitits and it was a left over from a BBQ so it got it out of the way at last!

Pat
...I know I should have used brandy but I hadn't got any...

I think whisky is a perfectly good alternative.

Some might say a half-decent malt such as Glenfiddich is wasted in a cake, but the other school of thought is always use the best ingredients you can.

You wouldn't use second-rate fruit, so best not to soak it in cheap paint-stripper blended whisky.

Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 2 Nov 10 at 17:19
Well, that's a relief:)

I don't eat Christmas cake, Christmas pudding or mince pies so it's hard to know when it smells right.

Now for my next question......will it be OK to put in Mr pda's lunch box to eat while he's driving? Perhaps I should add that he doesn't drink alcohol at all.

Pat
 Food - and drink - combinations - scousehonda
"Now for my next question......will it be OK to put in Mr pda's lunch box to eat while he's driving? Perhaps I should add that he doesn't drink alcohol at all"

Pat

I would definitely advise against tempting Mr a with a wedge of what sounds as though it will be a scrumptious Christmas cake.

If you need to use it up I will happily forward my address!
Nope mr PDA can not eat it, its a bad combination.

Leave it in a box at the Brets reception, I will pick it up for disposal on the way through,
...Nope mr PDA can not eat it, its a bad combination...

The perceived wisdom is the alcohol will evaporate during the cooking process.

But as Mr pda is a non-drinker, he will have low tolerance to any alcohol, so best not to chance it while he's driving.

You could always do a trial run at the weekend when he's not working.
 Food - and drink - combinations - bathtub tom
>>I used 9/10's of a bottle of Glenfiddich the other day

Oh dear!

SWMBO's got through a couple of bottles of brandy - no, I don't mean that - they've gone into the half-a-dozen crimble puds and the couple of cakes she's been making. I never knew the cheap stuff came in plastic bottles. I suppose it can't be too bad as it doesn't dissolve the plastic.

I'd have swapped you some Pat, but then again, It was only cheap malt, not like it was Port Ellen.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Clk Sec
>>Oh dear!

Indeed. A bottle of cheap Spanish brandy would probably have been better.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Roger.
There's nothing wrong with a bottle of Osborne, Soberano or Veterano at around 8 €.
Torres 10 at around 11€ ain't bad but Cardinal Mendoza at 23€ is really good stuff
Going to Gib. on Thursday - Bombay Sapphire at around £12-13 a litre bottle, (or less if it's on offer!), or decent Scotch at around £8 a litre bottle might be in our shopping basket at Morrison's!
No cigarettes, though, as we hate the habit.
It's the one thing Spanish Cutoms ask you on leaving - any cigarettes?
me need ask scotck €8 make? please
me need answer after being sold a 50cc bottle of bells in asda this weekend for £11 .49
the natives are not happy
>> I do it with my favourite tipples: Caol Ila and Bruichladdich.

They're quite nice with a drop of fizzy lemonade in.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Dog
I've got a liking of late for 2 thick slices of my homemade wholewheat bread, toasted,

Topped with organic virgin coconut oil (solid @ room temp.)

Top that with organic crunchy peanut butt,

Slice a narner longways and stick that on top,

Serve with pure Ceylon or Keemun tea.

:)
 Food - and drink - combinations - NortonES2
Mid-morning: Boh tea (an Assam tea from Malaya) with fruit cake. Lunch: smoked salmon, soda bread and Guinness.
Have to admit - taking my influence from James May the other night - a five bar fish finger sandwich for lunch today.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Armel Coussine
Can't remember what it was he put on it PU but I didn't really fancy it.
I avoided any dressing - only because I'm currently in a very empty house - devoid of even the basic trappings of civilization !
every house has tomato sauce....
Not here sadly - it's well empty not even a phone line but a very good O2 reception for my dongle.
 Food - and drink - combinations - BobbyG
Square sausage needs to have brown sauce
Bacon needs to have tomato sauce, never the twain shall cross!

Used to take beer with curries but now actually prefer water until I have finished stuffing my face.

Always wine with Pasta, always red wine. Rose is for lorry drivers with blue lights :)

I think for a lot of the meats, it is through tradition that we have been programmed rather than any scientific taste budding experiments.

Chicken mayo sandwiches are lovely, but beef or pork mayo - yeuch!
SAUSAGES ARE NEVER SQUARE

damn Heathens.
Zero - don't be daft. Square sausage is the food of the chosen ones, especially on a well fired roll with real butter and brown sauce.

Sheesh !
Fried bread & marmalade, especially if the bread has been fried in the bacon fat.
Spanish morcilla (black pudding, but not as the UK knows it)
>> Spanish morcilla (black pudding, but not as the UK knows it)

Looked that up on Wiki - yum yum.

Mind you, BP from Stornoway is very different product from the stuff in Bury.
Sweet and Sour Pot Noodle sandwich - plain white sliced bread nothing remotely healthy. Try it Hawkeye - Home Bargains do em cheap.
That is not good PU. I was just about to have a piece of cheese with a water biscuit and now the thought of food is repulsive after reading your post...just have to have a Marlboro instead...

:-(
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Tue 2 Nov 10 at 22:39
...Sweet and Sour Pot Noodle sandwich...

I am only a little ashamed to admit I can go a Pot Noodle.

But a sandwich?

I've learned something today.
It's many many years since I indulged...
A cup of tea in a plastic cup, and a proper hotdog, like I had from a stall in Dresden once.
 Food - and drink - combinations - hawkeye
>> Sweet and Sour Pot Noodle sandwich - plain white sliced bread nothing remotely healthy. Try
>> it Hawkeye - Home Bargains do em cheap.
>>

Not very appealing. For unhealthy food, I'll continue my lengthy search for the perfect pork pie.
Try Nelsons Butchers at Stamford or Oakham, it beats anything you can buy in Melton Mowbray.

Pat
There is a good butchers in Oakham as well does a fabo pork and stilton pie. Nelsons make EXCELENT sausages.
You could have called in this week and sampled the pork pie, couldn't you Z?

Pat
I might have done, that's between me and the confessional.

>> Not very appealing. For unhealthy food, I'll continue my lengthy search for the perfect pork
>> pie.

Fear not, you are not alone on your quest. It too is my life long holly grail, I even revisit those I have already tried, who knows they may have improved.
...I'll continue my lengthy search for the perfect pork pie...

A pork pie demands a dollop of tomato ketchup.

I won't eat one without.

Toad-in-the-hole, made with sausages, not pieces of meat, with some Lyle's golden syrup dribbled onto it.
 Food - and drink - combinations - Jetski
Strawberries with white pepper on them.
A mug of rosy lee after I've dunked a couple of buttered crumpets in it, innit.
 APPALLING Food/Drink combinations of the past - Zero
Lets warp this thread a little - as the new header says. To kick us off, I give you that Tony Blackburn poptastic 70s chart topper

Vesta Prawn Curry and Watneys Red Barrel.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 6 Nov 10 at 09:05
 APPALLING Food/Drink combinations of the past - R.P.
Mashed creamy potatoes served from an ice cream scoop and diced beetroot in a school canteen....
 APPALLING Food/Drink combinations of the past - Zero
So Stalag 4-C didn't get its red cross parcels then?
 APPALLING Food/Drink combinations of the past - R.P.
No - we were genuinely under-fed - we had to eat our bed boards.
 APPALLING Food/Drink combinations of the past - CGNorwich
Prawn cocktails and Mateus Rose
 Food - and drink - combinations - L'escargot
Peanut butter and coleslaw sandwiches.
Kraft cheese slices, spread with Pan Yan pickle and served with a tin of Fosters.
Fosters in the dimpled cans - used to think we were pretty cool drinking imported beer....horrible foamy stuff.
 Food - and drink - combinations - BiggerBadderDave
At Christmas the Poles serve 12 different dishes, all set in jelly - you know the wobbly bits that you get around tinned corned beef that most people scrape off with a knife?

Of course they force it upon you too "eat eat eat"

Makes me physically gag.
Latest Forum Posts