Non-motoring > Autumn Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 41

Autumn - Zero
Following on from AC's tale of slaughter, murder, mayhem and corpses among the autumnal leaves of his orchard, no one has remarked on how good this Autumn is.

The trees, shrubs, and even the weeds have joined in to make us a fantastic and lingering show.
I am lucky, I live in a great area with instant access to a blend of urban/rural life. Fifi and I have a couple of walks a day, and its been unique for me to walk in a stretch of habitat under 18 inches of snow, a heavily budding spring, hot flybuzzing tranquillity and now a glorious autumn.

Here are a few snaps of our walk on the Basingstoke canal this morning.

s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/know_wun/Autumn/
 Autumn - Tooslow
I'm always amazed by the way one tree can be almost bare and the one next to it is still green, hasn't even thought about dropping it's leaves yet. There is even a significant difference between two of the same species very often. Same thing happens in spring (in reverse!).

I'd like each tree to have a lever on it. Pull the lever and ALL of it's leaves come down at once. I don't mind sweeping up leaves but I know I'll have to do it again tomorrow.

Nice shots btw. I ignored the "you are the 10,000th visitor" flashing thing, suspicious creature that I am :-)

John
 Autumn - R.P.
Seems to be a classic autumn - Leafy North Yorkshire was particularly colourful this weekend - what camera were you using Zeddo ?
 Autumn - Zero
It was a very shaky hand on the Iphone.
 Autumn - Bromptonaut
Lovely colours in northants this morning as well. Make the most of it; windy and unsettled later in the week.
 Autumn - Old Navy
I visited the Arboretum at Westonbirt last week, The colours of the leaves are amazing, particularly the brilliant shades of red. Well worth a visit. (Take boots/wellies, it is muddy in places.)

www.forestry.gov.uk/westonbirt
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 1 Nov 10 at 14:00
 Autumn - Bellboy
(Take boots/wellies, it is muddy in places.)
>>>
>>>>>>how disgusting
cant they lay on special tracked vehicles for us ?
 Autumn - Old Navy
Typical urban dwellers response, legs only for moving to, or between transport. :-)
 Autumn - Pat
i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/Veeeight/DSCF1026.jpg

This should have been taken down a month ago, but I can't do while it still looks like this.

Pat
 Autumn - madf
Waht was it the poet said of Autumn?

"Season of mud and yellow funguses" ?
 Autumn - R.P.
Or following my experiences yesterday in the M62/M61/M6/M56 quadrangle "Season of gridlock and premature fog-lamps"
 Autumn - Old Navy
The M6/M74 were almost deserted on Sunday morning, you just have to pick your time. :-) I agree with the premature foglight use and think that many people believe that their foglights, particularly rear ones, switch off automatically when visibility is more than 10 miles or so.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 1 Nov 10 at 16:51
 Autumn - Runfer D'Hills
Of course I knew that the clocks had gone back yesterday. Of course I knew my way round a forest we were cycling in on Sunday afternoon. Of course I didn't see any problem in trying out a new trail with the two ten year olds I had with me ( my son and his pal ) Of course I wasn't really lost when it started to go dark unfeasably early. Of course I had deliberately left the bike lights in the toolbox in the car as we wouldn't be needing them and they would just have got muddy. I wasn't worried at all, or in any way relieved to find ourselves more or less accidently back on a familiar trail. Nor was I in any discomfort about having left our waterproofs in the car as the heavens opened and darkness fell, and I realised that we still had about 5 miles of unlit and by now deserted ( apart from the local axe-murderer of course ) forest trail still to cover. This was not a problem, any more than the leaving of the mobile phone in the glovebox or the fact that my son's pal was supposed to be back by 3.30 as they were going out to eat...

Good run actually...
 Autumn - R.P.
How many "new bike" points did yesterday earn you Humph ?
 Autumn - Runfer D'Hills
The boys are sworn to silence...( Well, money may have to change hands I suspect...)

:-)
 Autumn - Dog
>>"Season of mud and yellow funguses" ?<<

My mate used to call it The Black Season,

ET (Dog) go home ~ news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/1083?
 Autumn - Fullchat
Old Navy

"I visited the Arboretum at Westonbirt last week, ...."

And the Ceed Forum perchance?
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 1 Nov 10 at 20:25
 Autumn - Old Navy
>> And the Ceed Forum perchance?
>>

Are you really going to dismantle your instruments?
 Autumn - Fullchat
Only if someone gives me a clue how to. I can't stand rattles (present company excepted) :-)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 1 Nov 10 at 22:12
 Autumn - Iffy
...Here are a few snaps of our walk on the Basingstoke canal this morning...

Children playing in the background of photo three - lucky you weren't arrested.

Autumn - Statistical Outlier
>> Children playing in the background of photo three - lucky you weren't arrested.

Don't worry, they have a policy of Zero tolerance down there.
 Autumn - MD
Lovely pictures Zed. I used to play along the Grand Union between West Drayton and right out into the sticks when I were a Lad. Fishing, cycling and whatever 'mischief' we could get up to. Memorable times when Great Britain meant something. Even used to feed the Coots by hand at the back of Sanderson's printers in Uxbridge.

MD
 Autumn - -
The most visually appealing time of year, nice pics Z.

As for this walking on water shennanigins, is there something we should know, are you touched.
 Autumn - Zero
Go in peace my son.
 Autumn - Crankcase
Good pics. And your photobucket name is the same as Johnny Depp's Facebook name, you'll be delighted to hear.

Autumn - Zero
I am fed up with Johnny Depp's adulation, I wish he would develop his own style.
 Autumn - Mike Hannon
>>Here are a few snaps of our walk on the Basingstoke canal this morning. <<

So, it's as we all suspected. Zero walks on water...
 Autumn - Mike Hannon
Mind you, Z is right. Autumn has it's charms.
We had giant parasol mushrooms (lepiote elevee) stolen locally and braised in butter and garlic for supper last night. Magnificent.
 Autumn - Zero
Miracles performed on a daily basis, the impossible performed by appointment only.
 Autumn - madf
"Impossible by Appointment"

So you are working with Tony Blair on ME Peace then? :-(
 Autumn - Roger.
Those photos remind me - as if I needed it - why I want to come back to England to see out my declining years!
 Autumn - Harleyman
Rotten weather for the last two days down here in the west of the Principality, and the strong westerly winds and showers are rapidly stripping the trees and creating skid-pans on the bends to trap the unwary. I went down to the bottom of the Gower on Monday, very pretty; Friday's trip up through Brecon and Llandrindod Wells, up to Montgomery, was an absolute joy.

I sometimes reflect on the fact that I'm very fortunate to be in this job, as you see so much more of the countryside from the height advantage of a lorry cab.
 Autumn - Pat
I miss that HM, the view goes right above the hedge tops and when we both visit somewhere we've been at work, we're always dissapointed because we can't see anything in the CRV!

I really envy your Friday trip, it's the chance to 'drive' a lorry and not just pay lip service to it.

Pat
 Autumn - idle_chatterer
That looks like the Basingstoke canal, near to the junction with the Wey Navigation, Scotland Bridge Road perhaps ?

I used to cycle along there sometimes, makes me a little home-sick although I notice the nettles and bracken have returned (Sustrans cleared them I think). Really beautiful pictures of a nice part of the world.

IIRC, one of the houseboats around there was featured on one of those TV makeover/DIY shows, I think it may have since been abandoned and sunk.....
 Autumn - Zero
>> That looks like the Basingstoke canal, near to the junction with the Wey Navigation, Scotland
>> Bridge Road perhaps ?

Correct

>> IIRC, one of the houseboats around there was featured on one of those TV makeover/DIY
>> shows, I think it may have since been abandoned and sunk.....

Not quite, it sunk first and then was hurriedly abandoned. Its currently being taken apart and away.
 Autumn - Tooslow
Incidentally I know the photographer's family. How is his brother, Hu? I've not seen him for a while. Does little Hung Lo still get teased at school?

John
 Autumn - Dog
I couldn't better these pictures of Autumnal Cornwall ~

www.cornwallcam.co.uk/evenearlier.htm
 Autumn - FocalPoint
Loved Lanhydrock when we visited it a few years ago. We are NT fans, but even by their (high) standards this is a gem.
 Autumn - Dog
Lanhydrock is nice to walk around in any season, the house has a ghost, which my friend has seen (seriously!)
 Autumn - Dog
More on the Lanhydrock ghost, and some quite wonderful piccies ~

www.questforghosts.com/haunted-houses/britain/lanhydrock-house.html

Autumn - Zero
>> Incidentally I know the photographer's family. How is his brother, Hu? I've not seen him
>> for a while. Does little Hung Lo still get teased at school?

You are speaking of the flung dung family, not the wun dynasty.
 Autumn - Dog
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/autumn-sad-season-of-sensations-2126714.html
Latest Forum Posts