Non-motoring > GU10 Halogen bulbs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 22

GU10 Halogen bulbs - MD
I think that this may have been done before, but has anybody bought any of these bulbs that a.) have lasted more than 2 weeks. b.) didn't cost an arm and a leg and if so where from and how much? NOT low energy BTW.

Tia............Martin.
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - smokie
Also be interested in this one as I find I go through spates of ones which don't last long at all - though I don't remember changing one for a couple of months now (and current lot were cheapies from fleabay).
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - Perky Penguin
MD - I don't use the halogen ones but my input is that I have a floor mounted reading light and used low energy/LED bulbs which, to be honest they weren't bright enough. Just yesterday I bought 3 50 watt ones and armchair is a pool of briight light and the warmth is nice too! Do you have to have halogen for your purposes? How does 10 bulbs for £8.14 grab you?
tinyurl.com/38a6nc7
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Tue 26 Oct 10 at 08:34
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - Zero
I downgraded all my GU10s to 35 watt ones, they last much longer.
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - Bromptonaut
The 35w examples are just not bright enough in my experience; fifty only just cuts the mustard.

The present lot are Bell and branded as wide flood. They seem to last reasonably well. £25 for 10 at Ryness Electricals in Holborn.

Many brands are advertised with a life of 2,500 hours. Never get near that and I suspect it's based on far fewer daily operating cycles than are realistically happening in my kitchen.
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - Mapmaker
I bought a house in 2002 which had an extension that had been built in 2000 with six GU10s. In 2007 one of the bulbs went just after I exchanged contracts with my buyer. The bulbs had a lot of use.

Wish I could find bulbs like them. I was thinking of going low energy - offer at Lidl this week for LE GU10s.

In my current house I have fitted two in a ceiling - cheapo fittings from Lidl (abysmally engineered, but that's another story). The bulbs last about 2 months - and as it's a 6-pack of light fittings I'm perpetually changing them until I get through the initial supply of bulbs.
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - MD
Just seen GU10 50watts at Sainsbugs for £1.29 each!! I Hate the darn things and I shall NEVER let her have her way again (might live to regret that) but they just don't last. I guess with an outlet like sains then they probably wont argue if they get taken back.
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - bathtub tom
I don't like the things, far too hot in Summer, however, a friend swears they last much longer if they're put through a dimmer switch and wound up after switching on and wound down before switching off.

His theory is the temperature change the element has to go through is the death of them and his procedure gives them a more gentle transition.
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - Bromptonaut
>> His theory is the temperature change the element has to go through is the death
>> of them and his procedure gives them a more gentle transition.

Fits with my observation that operating cycles do for them long before hours.
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - BobbyG
Just done a rough count and in our house we have 24 GU10 bulbs.

We have 6 in the ceiling in the family room that makes it just too bright, thinking of running it through a dimmer.

Similarly, the ones in the bedroom, if one bulb goes it doesn't get changed until the second goes. Buy the bulbs from Tesco value, £1 a pop.

However as mentioned above, Aldi or Lidl have the LED GU10 bulbs on "offer" this week and I am contemplating trying them out to see what happens.

I also have these fittings in many of my shop windows and we are forever changing them over even though they just get switched on and off once per day.

Anyone tried either the LED or the energy saver ones? From what I have seen, the standard GU10 bulbs usually fit snugly into spotlights but the LED/ energy savers are much longer and would protrude out the fitting.
www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9370891&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=gu10&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1288091022486&isSearch=true

GU10 Halogen bulbs - bathtub tom
BobbyG.

The small print says: Out of stock
Jings that shows the power of posting an advert on this site ..... :)

Must try with a bike carrier next ...
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - Perky Penguin
LED ones are too dim for my reading light (a bulb with 16 individual LEDS under a dimpled surface) and some sort of compact LED, with just one element was bright but cost over £20.
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - MD
Management bought some today at £4.00 for 3 from Morrison's. So far so good. Someone mentioned kosnic higher up. My experience suggests a 5, yes 5 minute lifetime. Not knocking them you understand in case I upset the natives.

M
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - RattleandSmoke
I think they have a life span of 1000 hours. I just replaced them all with the energy efficient type they look a bit ugly but so far so good and they are actually brighter.
I have just ordered a pack of 10 LED GU10s from Ebay for my shop window displays.
Will give you feedback once they are received and in situ!
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - Fullchat
I have 2 ceilings, 1 fitted with 8 bulbs and the other with nine bulbs.
I have staggered the 8 bulb ceiling with 4 LEDs and the 9 bulb ceiling with a row of 3 LEDs.
I seem to be replacing the GU10 halogens a lot less and have reduced energy consumption (I think).
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - smokie
ISTR reading some time back that a single GU10 left on all year would cost £54. They are not cheap to run, when you have a ceiling full of 'em!
I was going to ask that actually, if I have a fitting with 4x50W GU10 bulbs in it, how much does it cost to have it lit for each hour?
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - Zero
Assuming 10p per KWh, that would be 2 pence per hour.
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - crocks
4x50W = 200W
200W = 0.2 kWh per hour
At 10p/kWh = 2p per hour = 48p per day = £175 per year

I have a friend with 40 of them. That's £1750 per year if he leaves them on.
And a very hot house.
Last edited by: Crocks on Tue 26 Oct 10 at 22:58
 GU10 Halogen bulbs - Mapmaker
Interesting. The ones which lasted years for me were on a dimmer switch.
Latest Forum Posts