Non-motoring > Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 56

Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - R.P.
Going up to Whitby in Saturday - anyone recommend some decent B&Bs - had a look at Travel Advisor but some local knowledge would be good. Might indulge in some chippery as well - last time I was there every chip shop seemed to be award winning - but which is the best one ?
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Old Navy
>> last time I was there every chip shop seemed to be
>> award winning - but which is the best one ?
>>
Any one that does not sell Kebabs, pizza, deep fried steak pies, and Mars bars.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 25 Oct 10 at 18:33
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Perky Penguin
Can't help with B&B but here is a link to one of the award winning chippies
www.misterchipswhitby.co.uk/
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Zero
The Alucard Hotel, up on the hill, is a bit of a ruin, but the Count is a hospitable chap, and the place really comes alive after dark.
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Bigtee
www.queensland.co.uk/

Have heard this is good.

Prices vary if you look on web as for fish and chips you won't go wrong ale is my cup of tea.!!
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Alastairw
Thats a point. Whitby is likely to be very busy around halloween. All the goth/vampire types seem to gather there. Not a problem if that is why you are going, of course.

My favorite chip shop in the area is in Robin Hoods Bay. The walk back to the carpark is pretty strenuous when full of haddock and chips.
Not a Goth/vampire type !
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - devonite
Cant beat Magpies, down on the quay, bit dear tho` Cod `n` Chips almost £12 when we were there last year! good helping if you can finish it!
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - idle_chatterer
It has to be Hadleys for chips in Whitby, used to go there with my then-girlfriend (now Mrs I-C) when we were courting and went out for a drive / walk on the NY Moors. Whitby is particularly nice in winter IMHO, Christmas Eve or New Years Day were favourite times to go for a stroll there - wrap up warm mind.

I rather like Staithes a few miles up the coast too.

Can't get decent fish and chips in Hong Kong, in fact don't think I've eaten chips since I got here - so no driving and no chips, no wonder I feel so bereft....
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Tooslow
That's the name (Magpie)! Tasteless I thought. As in no flavour, not poor decor.

John
Queensland is fully booked !
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - hawkeye
A couple of years ago Mrs H and I stayed here for a few nights, arriving on the motor bike;

www.whitby-bedandbreakfast.co.uk/

Clean, reasonable tariff, working plumbing and somewhere (outside) to park the bike (or car) off the street.

For fish & chips we enjoyed the Magpie but there is a huge choice of pubs in the town serving decent food and a nice pint. Spoilt for choice.

Enjoy your stay.
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Bellboy
why not stay a little out of town?
i find whitby entertaining for a couple of hours only
however spent all day in scarborough sunday ,did the machines,the long walk and nearly had a fishnchip supper but they were shut so talked the wife into a maccy d.yummy
or consider brid thats lovely now its had eu slush funds wanged at it

just a thought
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Iffy
Talking of out of town, the obvious place to visit is Goathland - Aidensfield in Heartbeat.
A ride on the North Yorks Moor railway perhaps?
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Redviper
>> Talking of out of town, the obvious place to visit is Goathland - Aidensfield in
>> Heartbeat.
>>

I would recommend the walk, that is the "railway Trail" that covers part of the old line, 3 miles long to Grosmont from Goathland and very easy and very beautiful countryside.
I enjoyed it SWMBO Didnt, and complained all the way long, when you get to Grosmont you can get a good view into the Railway sidings and Engine sheds (if like me you, like that kind of thing)

SWMBO didnt want to walk back so we could have lunch in the "aidensfield arms" so we had to pay for the train ride back.

The only thing that spoilt it for us, about 3 months ago, when we where sat at Goathland Station waiting for the train back to Pickering at the end of the day there must have been about 100 German School Children aging from 5- 15, and they where so noisy shouting and bawling, running around and generally being a nuscance, even the teachers didnt care.

We got the train at the start of the day Return ride from Pickering.
Last edited by: Redviper on Tue 26 Oct 10 at 12:37
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - hawkeye

>> i find whitby entertaining for a couple of hours only

Clearly Mrs BB has never said "Let's spend a day or 2 in Whitby. I can browse the jet emporia; you can have pub lunches. Then you can haggle me a piece of jet. It's our anniversary, you know."

Later; "We can go on the bike if you like".

There was going to be no stopping me, was there?
Right, I was going to keep this a secret but... the best fish and chips I have had in recent years was at the Middleton Arms in Middleton (suprise) just outside Pickering. A bit of a trek from Whitby but maybe your route to or from could take this in. The menu is short and simple, the ingredients top class and the results superb.

I do not normally associate top notch fish and chips and pubs but this is excellent.

John
Funnily enough I first visited there a year last June on the VFR I had briefly - stunning scenery excellent unregulated roads - nice day on the whole - including not 'alf bad chips....I looked longingly at the beer.....
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Perky Penguin
I was in Chichester a few weeks ago and a pub in the pedestrianised High Street had a big sign outside announcing "Ladies - We Have a Man Creche! Leave your husband here and shop unaffected by complaints and bad temper! We will supply him with food and drink and you can enjoy your shopping." Would it catch on in Whitby?
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Tue 26 Oct 10 at 19:04
...work anywhere that....Cheshire Oaks spring to mind ----:-)
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Runfer D'Hills
Cheshire Oaks - God spare us ! An ex-boss of mine found me sitting on a wall at Cheshire Oaks having lost most of the will to live. He admitted that he thought I was a tramp and had considered lobbing his loose change in my direction until he recognised me under two days growth and my hangdog expression.
At least you get to see the sky. If you go into that monstrous collection of shoe / women's clothes shops known as the Trafford Centre.... Agh!

I once got dragged in there with the in-laws. I still twitch when I think of it :-(

John
...At least you get to see the sky...

The MetroCentre at Gateshead is also under artificial light and thoroughly unpleasant because of it.

There are some skylights in the most recently extended bit, which suggests to me the management realise lack of natural light is off-putting.

And you miss Newcastle city centre which has always struck me as being Totty City.

John
...And you miss Newcastle city centre which has always struck me as being Totty City...

Durham City is even better for totty spotting - more concentrated.

Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - idle_chatterer
IIRC there are some nice B&Bs in Ruswarp and Sleights a few miles away.

Making me miss the place now......
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Bromptonaut
Rather nice Youth Hostel at Whitby IIRC. No duties any more and have got rather too pricy for their own good but the best are truly excellent in terms of location etc.
Looks grim, fully booked.
...fully booked...

You could borrow the caravan in leafy-you-know-where, but it's 50 miles away.

Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Pat
Iffy may have a caravan you could rent......

Pat
The same post at the same time...? I think I might start a rumour about you two. ;-)

John
I think it's called something to do with great minds:)

Pat
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - swiss tony
Iffy.... personal question time.

Are you lop-sided?
...Are you lop-sided?...

Go on then, I'll go with this a short way.

Why do you ask?

''The same post at the same time...? I think I might start a rumour about you two. ;-)

John ''

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=3353

In other words.... 2 + 2 = ?

;-)
...In other words.... 2 + 2 = ?...

In this case, five.

The swear filter's beaten the rest of my reply. :)

Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 26 Oct 10 at 19:49
LOL... only five?

I was hoping for at least 15!
So this is what goes on when I'm normally tucked up in bed:)

Pat
>> Looks grim, fully booked.

Must be the Alucard effect then.
...Must be the Alucard effect then...

For those who can't be bothered to Google, Alucard is Dracula's son - it's 'Dracula' spelt backwards.

Bram Stoker, the author of the book, is supposed to have been inspired to write the story by visits to Whitby.

Ah yes, I remember that tale now - seems that Whitby is fully booked (this Halloween nonsense had diluted the attraction somewhat) -moving southward towards Scarborough as we speak.
South Bay is the Blackpool end and stinks of hot dogs, North Bay is more refained.

John
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - rtj70
Might be worth moving a fair bit further south to avoid those staying near Whitby for Halloween.
As you seem to be flexible about the location how about Kirby Moorside? At least 4 hotels (sorry, no personal experience). On the Southern fringe of the North Yorkshire Moors and no conceivable connection with Halloween.

Or the Fox & Hounds at Sinnington. I've eaten there - v. good and I believe their b&b is pretty good. Google Earth shows 4.5 stars out of 5 / 14 reviews.

John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Tue 26 Oct 10 at 19:34
Thanks John,

Hopefully your post will come to her attention - she is in windblown North Yorks this week, she has been putting her head around the door here.
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Fullchat
How about Robin Hoods Bay?
It's an open option - Scarborough and Kirkbymoorside also.
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Dog
>>How about Robin Hoods Bay?<<

Seconded.
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - Bromptonaut
If you're looking at Scarborough the Riviera Town house on St Nicholas Cliff is pretty good. Just behind the Grand with some oblique views to the sea. Rooms, at least those on the front, are excellent and a damn good breakfast.

Plenty places to eat from greasy spoon to gastropub.

www.riviera-scarborough.co.uk
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 26 Oct 10 at 21:30
 Somewhere nice to stay in Whitby. - legacylad
Last year SWMBO and I stayed at The Leeway for two nights. Highly recommended. Caught the early morning bus to Saltburn and walked the Cleveland Way back to Whitby. On Sunday we walked down to Scarboro along the C. Way them bus back to collect the car. A very enjoyable weekend. I cannot remember where we ate on both nights.
Put that one in the pot as well - Recreation Committee will meet tomorrow by video link to decide !
...will meet tomorrow by video link...

Very flash, or should that be very Flash?

>> ...will meet tomorrow by video link...
>>
>> Very flash, or should that be very Flash?

Not on your Macbook tho.
Ah! If walking comes into it then bear in mind that there is an old railway line, now a footpath, just inland. And in some places I do mean "just"! This makes it easy to do a circular walk, out on the coastal path and take it easy, back along the railway line. It's worth crossing the old viaduct at Whitby if you are in the immediate vicinity (don't go too far out of your way for it).

John
>> Put that one in the pot as well - Recreation Committee will meet tomorrow by
>> video link to decide !

Now that's the kind of marriage I want - Virtual. With a reboot button.
Well he RC met today by telephone and following the devolution of executive powers to me - I've booked what seems a very nice B&B in Kirkbymoorside - Thanks all - I was amazed how difficult it was to get anywhere - anyway job sorted.
Latest Forum Posts