Non-motoring > Helicopter crash Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 13

Helicopter crash - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11615219

The chopper is based at Redhill. I hope helicopter is not involved, he will certainly know the pilot.
 Helicopter crash - R.P.
Not checked the link you provided but it seems it was an Augusta - quite a large one for a "private" aircraft.
 Helicopter crash - R.P.
Sorry Z that information was in the page - recently updated

Some more info here.

registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=2NR
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 24 Oct 10 at 17:51
 Helicopter crash - Bromptonaut
Jeez my old plane spotter's antennae must be failing. It was only Z's post mentioning Redhill that made me twig the company repto works for.
 Helicopter crash - R.P.
Zero,
You have mail.
 Helicopter crash - R.P.
Looks like a particularly catastrophic crash - not much left of the aircraft.
 Helicopter crash - helicopter
Well thank you for your concerns all but you do not get rid of me that easily.....

I am posting this from my Head Office in the Middle East where I have been offline for the last few days.,,,I have flown from Redhill but do not know the particular helicopter or pilot. I will check with our other pilots here .

I had not seen this report so I was not aware of the crash until I read about it here but any incident of this nature is very sad .....my condolences to the families of all those lost..

Helicopter crash - R.P.
Thank goodness for that - you had us worried. Sad loss to people concerned all the same. Flying like motorcycling carries disproportional risk and you always think that "it" will happen to somebody else...
 Helicopter crash - Zero
I recently flew into, and landed in the bottom of the southern section of the Grand Canyon in this.

www.flickr.com/photos/mpatston/4652905805/

N151GC, A Eurocopter EC130 B4.

Whilst huge fun, Helicopters are basically scary things. I don't buy all this crap about "Oh engine failure is no issue, we can auto rotate to a safe landing" Somehow the pilots never really look convinced when they trot that one out.

Birds have wings, nature never made an animal with a rotary wing.

Helicopter crash - Old Navy
>> Birds have wings, nature never made an animal with a rotary wing.
>>
>>
My condolences to the families of those lost.

I tend to agree, I always felt more comfortable with a military trained pilot. Probably just me, most of my helicopter use has been with them even in civil helicopters. (A mechanical failure doesn't care who is driving). I did the Grand Canyon helicopter thing but found this more comfortable, and interesting having driven through Monument valley.

www.grandcanyonairlines.com/gca/show_package.aspx?package_id=328&lang=en-US
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 25 Oct 10 at 10:40
 Helicopter crash - Focusless
>> I recently flew into, and landed in the bottom of the southern section of the
>> Grand Canyon in this.

SWMBO wanted to do the Grand Canyon in a chopper during our States holiday earlier this year, but they scare me and I was glad when it turned out to be too expensive. Instead we had a very nice walk along the rim.
 Helicopter crash - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcXm-M_oo6c

Mrs P and I were the sole passengers on a return flight daylight from Gozo in 2001 - sounded like a tinful of spanners but I'm sure perfectly safe and reliable !
 Helicopter crash - Fursty Ferret
Flying the other day with an ex-military helicopter pilot; his opinion was that helicopters have so many unpleasant "gotchas" that they're worth staying well away from unless a very experienced pilot is at the controls.

And this complaint about "gotchas" is from someone who now flies an Airbus...
 Helicopter crash - Old Navy
When we did this one it was in a smaller helicopter than this one, I am convinced it had a motorbike engine. Turbulence over the canyon as well, scary.

www.kingscanyonresort.com.au/play/helicopterTours-en.html
Latest Forum Posts