Non-motoring > How do i paint in camouflage? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 31

How do i paint in camouflage? - Bigtee
Got some Dinky military vehicles for my young lad (Honest) and they have been rubbed back to bare metal with wire brush in pillar drill and sprayed in primer.

Now some need to be in camoflague and others are desert sand or military green & some raf grey.

How is best to spray in camoflague or hand paint small toys?

Typo in header corrected
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 Oct 10 at 10:01
 How do i paint in camoflague? - Zero
Like they would have done it on the real thing.

You spray your base camo colour over the car, then hand paint the contrasting blobs, stripes, patches etc on top. Use pictures gleaned form the web as your guide.
 How do i paint in camoflague? - Harleyman
From experience on the real thing; your base coat needs to be the lightest colour.
 How do i paint in camoflague? - MD
AND (seriously) we all want to see progress here. From the start please.

At last, something interesting and of course, important for the Lad.

Good luck.
 How do i paint in camoflague? - Tooslow
I thought you just bought camoflage paint. On the shelf next to the striped paint.

John
 How do i paint in camoflague? - Mike Hannon
He looked for it but he couldn't see it...

Groan.
 How do i paint in camoflague? - Ted
Ah, TS, so that's where they keep it. I've been looking for it for ages !

Ted
 How do i paint in camoflague? - Iffy
...I thought you just bought camouflage paint...

You do.

www.krylon.com/products/camouflage_paint_with_fusion_technology/
 How do i paint in camoflague? - sherlock47
from krylon - the same people who bring you kryptonite?
 How do i paint in camoflague? - Bigtee
B & Q sell it along with tartan paint.................................................................
....!

Got it sorted soon we can have world war 2 all over again like it was some 35 years back when i played with these.!!
We used to put fireworks in them, and set fire to them.

I can vividly remember a Lancaster bomber dropping blobs of burning airfix plastic onto the bedroom carpet.
 How do i paint in camoflague? - Runfer D'Hills
>> We used to put fireworks in them, and set fire to them.

Curtain ring Sellotaped on to the top of the Lancaster's fuselage, looped over your mum's clothes line, big banger or better still small rocket up it's rear gun turret, light banger/rocket after dark, watch it shoot along the clothes line and explode as it hits the line pole. Fab...

:-)
 How do i paint in camoflague? - R.P.
I'd rather you hadn't mentioned that Humph - Home Alone for a couple of weeks now with idle hands along with the availability of fireworks....
Week 1. Obtain and build Airfix Lancaster Bomber, painstakingly paint it...

Week 2 ....well you know.

www.airfix.com/airfix-products/aircraft/military-aircraft/19301950/a08007-lancaster-g-for-george-a08007/?searchguid=2010102418628&resultspage=&sortorder=

Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 24 Oct 10 at 18:08
Remember to video it PU. You could have several going at one time. Paint a mountain on your garden fence and "crash" them into that too....

:-)
 How do i paint in camoflague? - Robin O'Reliant
To make it more realistic, you could collect some beetles and pop them in the gun turrets and cockpit...

Just a thought.
Where's he going to get beetle sized flying helmets, goggles and sheepskin jackets from ? Guess you could make parachutes for them though out of those little cocktail umbrellas.
iPhone Humph.
We await the clip on youtube...

How do i paint in camoflague? - Marc
For brush painting I do lightest colour first all over (two coats) For hard demarcation I then use masking tape (Tamiya is best) cut down the middle into wavy lines with a stanley blade. Mask up and paint two coats of the darker colour.

You will get slight ridges with this method though.

For softer lines using a spray can, the main method is using thin 'sausages' of blutac for your masking/demarcation after your initial light coats.

>> You will get slight ridges with this method though.
>>

More realistic, though unlikely to be to scale.

The darker green camo paint (known to my lot as "elephant snot green") is thick glutinous stuff and doesn't go on smoothly. You don't get a flat finish, but apparently for camouflage that's all to the good.
Right, let's get to the point. WHY is PU home alone for two weeks? Couldn't we have an 'Airfix party' or some such other devilment up there? OK OK......just a thought!
Bring your own model and no glue sniffing !
My old Model is sagging a little, but she promises to buck up for the occasion........Now how do I tell the Wife?
 How do i paint in camoflague? - -
Never got round to painting those models, but i will confess to being a right little hologram with fireworks.

Lay rockets on the ground and let 'em off they would blast off and travel just above the ground like a guided missile.

First place i worked had a huge old parrafin stove for heating, when the fire was off we'd stick air bombs up the asbestos chimney, superb way of sweeping the chimney too.
 How do i paint in camoflague? - sherlock47
Fireworks! surely many of the people on here made their own?

I remember my early versions of electrically detonated devices consisted of old valves with the top cap carefully broken off and then 'the mixture' carefully dropped in through the small hole. Detonated using the heater, supplied from a typically a 6.3v supply. Much cheaper than using carefully dismantled torch bulbs.

The inventive spirit was somewhat interrupted when a local boy suffered significant serious injuries whilst making a device . At least ,I never ground up the constituent parts together in a pestle and mortar.
I inadvertently made a bullet once. Scraped the heads off Swan Vestas and carefully tamped them into the centre pin hole of an old key. Heated up on the stove to make a slight bang the thing exploded and the key shot past my head and through the kitchen window never to be found again.

I was 11. Nearly didn't make 12.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 24 Oct 10 at 20:49

>> First place i worked had a huge old parrafin stove for heating, when the fire
>> was off we'd stick air bombs up the asbestos chimney, superb way of sweeping the
>> chimney too.
>>

Many years ago, on the preserved railway which I worked at, a favourite trick was to drop a fog warning detonator (basically a giant percussion cap) down the chimney of the locomens' hut.
 How do i paint in camoflague? - -
>> Many years ago, on the preserved railway which I worked at, a favourite trick was
>> to drop a fog warning detonator (basically a giant percussion cap) down the chimney of
>> the locomens' hut.
>>

Why do we do such things.

At Eales's transport yard in Northants some 35 years ago the mechanics (Mick you bad lad) would creep up the stairs to the store room above the fleet engineers office, raise a truck wheel to full height and drop the thing onto the floorboards just above Frank's head...he's gone now (amazed he lasted so long..;) a proper old school engineer who reminded me of Harold Wilson in pose and pipe.

In the same place as the parrafin fire i'd connect the air line to a truck inner tube when some unlucky victim was due and that time bomb would get to about 6ft round before it went off...tee hee.

We really should have a horrible things we dun that we can own up to thread.
Field fire adj' A40 circa 1972 or thereabouts.
 How do i paint in camoflague? - Robin O'Reliant
When I was doing my engineering apprenticeship the electricians had there shop down in the basement. The stairs up had a metal handrail which they connected to a low voltage transformer and when the elderly Works Manager used to appear they would switch the current on. He never did twig why he developed a twitch every time he climbed the stairs.

At the same place if you were desperate enough for a number 2 you made sure no one saw you going to the can. Sitting on the crapper and having a bucket of water tipped over the door was no fun at all, and made a mess of the crossword.
 How do i paint in camoflague? - devonite
A favorite supervisor at work used to have the habit of snoozing whilst on night shift in his office. He used to rock-back onto the rear two legs of his chair and stretch his feet out uponto his desk, clasp his hands behind his head, and trundle out the loudest z`s you`ve ever heard!
Some of the lads, used some black cable ties to fasten a large neoprene chemical gauntlet to a length of air-hose, and this was then slid into position under his chair. We all retreated as the air was turned on..........the size that thing reached was truly amazing! the fingers were as big as legs! and it was just about threatening to lift both the chair and he up, when it blew!!
I kid you not, the windows rattled and everything went misty! papers shot into the air, sandwiches and coffee seemed to appear everywhere at once! two shoes flew out of the mist, and went skooting down the corridor outside the office.Several minutes later an ashen-faced and disshevelled figure strolled out, picked up his shoes, and went straight home without saying a word to anyone! - he was off work for six weeks with "nerves"!

we`re sorry Glyn! ...if your reading!
Latest Forum Posts