Non-motoring > World Cruise - the real cost Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 41

World Cruise - the real cost - Dulwich Estate
There are plenty of adverts in the papers tempting baby-boomers to spend their cash on cruises. There's a good looking one in the DT today offering 107 days in winter/spring 2012 going around the world and visiting just about everywhere in that time. The downside of course is you only get a day or two at most in any one place when you'd probably want several. The cheapest ticket for the apparently all-inclusive trip is less then £11,000 - which although a heap of money is affordable for many even if you had to go and buy a dinner jacket first.

I have never been on a cruise and frankly have never fancied one, but you know how it goes......you get older, slower, start preferring the same bed every night and before you know it you don't just flick past the adverts - you read them !

My question to those more experienced than me - what is not included in these cruises and how much extra is it really going to cost ? For example, I've heard stories of high drinks charges and the crew searching your cabin and removing any bottles secretly smuggled on board.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Wed 20 Oct 10 at 22:16
 World Cruise - the real cost - BobbyG
Can't answer your question but there is one of these, probable urban myths, that does the rounds about the old lady who lives on a cruise ship as, on a week by week basis, its cheaper than a nursing home!
 World Cruise - the real cost - smokie
I've done a couple of cruises - one with Thompson's which was at the lower end of the market, but great fun - we had real all inclusive, with drinks and everything, the other was a bit better class (but still not quite P&O style) with Celebrity - an American ship. On that one the drinks weren't frighteningly expensive. On both the food was excellent and you could eat well 24 hours a day if you wanted )one of the comedians said you come onto the cruise as a person and leave it as baggage!).

On both the excursions were well overpriced, and it was often cheaper to walk off the boat and hire a local taxi for the day. Tipping is also expected but the American one had an arrangement where you paid an amount (about 10% IIRC) in advance to cover all your tips.

You had the choice of eating formally on both if you wanted, but only one one night per week on each were you expected to wear DJs - lounge suits and ties the other night were acceptable (and some didn't even meet that level).

Overall I enjoyed cruising but as you say you only get a short time in each place, so just enough to get a quick flavour of it. On the American cruise we opted for an outside cabin with balcony and concierge service which was quite a bit more but was a better experience.
 World Cruise - the real cost - Perky Penguin
I haven't been on a cruise either but I HAve done some research! Obviously some cruise lines must charge a lot for drinks, witness the adverts saying "Up to $500 per cabin on board spend". There is certainly the searching of luggage on return from day trips, I understand NCL who cover Scandanavia are very hot on this. Answer - gin decanted into a mineral water bottle!

Another factor is the dining. On many boats there are 10+ restaurants and you can eat in any of them but the top 4 (say) charge a fee. On the new Cunard boats if you are on the Red deck you eat in the Red restaurant and no upgrading or choice.
 World Cruise - the real cost - Old Navy
On a long cruise all you are going to see for the majority of the time is empty horizon, not my idea of seeing the world.
 World Cruise - the real cost - R.P.
not my idea of seeing the world.

Marginally better than through a periscope though ? :-)
 World Cruise - the real cost - Iffy
...Marginally better than through a periscope though ? :-)...

Only the captain and his second-in-command gets to look through the periscope - I've seen the films.

The Cruel Sea.

"More cocoa, number one?"

"Don't mind if I do."

At which point, someone in the studio chucks a bucket of water over the two actors.

World Cruise - the real cost - R.P.
I know iffy - it was poor early morning joke. Ping.
 World Cruise - the real cost - Bellboy
a periscope has to be better than being in the crows nest shurely shirley?
 World Cruise - the real cost - Hard Cheese

>> a periscope has to be better than being in the crows nest shurely shirley?
>>

On a submarine, yes!

World Cruise - the real cost - Zero
>> not my idea of seeing the world.
>>
>>
>> Marginally better than through a periscope though ? :-)

Hey guys, I have pictures taken inside

USS Pampanito (SS-383) a WW2 Balao class Fleet submarine

want to see them?
 World Cruise - the real cost - BiggerBadderDave
"want to see them?"

Mummy said I shouldn't go off with strange men.

>>want to see them?>>

Like this you mean?

www.maritime.org/tour/ct.php?pano=fl

yes, something like that.

shant bother then.
 World Cruise - the real cost - Old Sock
SWMBO booked a surprise cruise for my 'milestone' birthday this year - 7 nights Norwegian fijords with P&O, on 'Oriana'.

Despite previous misgivings about such things, I was very pleasantly surprised! Standards of service were uniformly outstanding, and the food quality simply superb.

It would be possible to spend nothing extra at all - if you were prepared to drink water, not go on any excursions etc. Alcoholic drinks were very reasonably-priced, being similar (slightly cheaper, in fact) to UK pub prices.

The ships do vary quite considerably in style, facilities, target clientele - and of course price. Ours was almost exclusively British (passengers, not crew), and catered very much for their tastes.

I guess it could become a bit too 'samey' as the days progress - despite calling in at different ports. Two weeks would be enough of a good thing for me.

Our two smuggled bottles of Bacardi remained undiscovered, BTW :-)
 World Cruise - the real cost - Bagpuss
>> SWMBO booked a surprise cruise for my 'milestone' birthday this year - 7 nights Norwegian fijords

Did you see any Norwegian Blue parrots?

>> SWMBO booked a surprise cruise for my 'milestone' birthday this year - 7 nights
>> Norwegian fijords
>>

Hey 7 nights of fijord focus (motoring link).
 World Cruise - the real cost - CGNorwich
In these impecunious times a return trip on the Woolwich ferry makes an economical substitute for a world cruise. No dress code or tipping required.
>> In these impecunious times a return trip on the Woolwich ferry makes an economical substitute
>> for a world cruise. No dress code or tipping required.

The cruise is very nice, the excursions at the ports of call are pretty horrible, and the fellow passengers are not quite my class.
 World Cruise - the real cost - Duncan
>> >> The cruise is very nice, the excursions at the ports of call are pretty horrible,
>> and the fellow passengers are not quite my class.
>>

I have never been on a cruise.

Would you care to expand on your comment? What was it about the passengers that you weren't happy with?
As I was commenting about the Woolwich ferry cruise, I think no further explanation about my fellow passengers in necessary.
 World Cruise - the real cost - Duncan
>> As I was commenting about the Woolwich ferry cruise, I think no further explanation about
>> my fellow passengers in necessary.
>>

That will teach me to read the thread properly!!
 World Cruise - the real cost - Old Sock

>> Did you see any Norwegian Blue parrots?

Sure did - beautiful plumage!

Didn't move much, though.....
 World Cruise - the real cost - MD
To date the drinks prices on P&O have shocked me. They are cheaper than the pub! Cruised three times now. A week is enough though. Used to buy a decent bottle of Gin on board for cabin consumption for far less than in Blighty. To be recommended if you want to do nothing and let every other person do the thinking. Sometimes a week like this is good, but I struggle to re-start when home.

Martin.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 22 Oct 10 at 00:47
While this NOT a proper cruise but more like a car ferry with very good facilities it could provide a taster for a full cruise. 2 nights on board and 3 hours in Spain for £109 plus, I guess one has to pay for meals. Link here tinyurl.com/39r8def

World Cruise - the real cost - CGNorwich
Aahh, the joy of crossing the Bay of Biscay in winter. Visit one of the most storm prone areas in the world. Still you get 3 hours to recover before you set back to fight the monstrous sees and you won't want much to eat.

I'll stick to the Woolwich Ferry!
 World Cruise - the real cost - sherlock47
tinyurl.com/39r8def

Am I missing something?

"Depart from you chosen pick-up point and enjoy a leisurely drive to Plymouth arriving in good time for our 4pm sailing to Santander"

pity that the journey from the Departure points (below) take you to Portsmouth!!!!!!!!! and are not exactly at convenient times of day!

02.15 Kidderminster Train Station

03.00 Dudlay Zoo

03.30 Wolverhampton Hilton Park services M6

04.00 Walsall Hatherton Road

04.30 Birmingham St Chads Church, St Chads Queensway
05.15 Coventry Pool Meadow Bus Station

05.45 Warwick Services M40

06.30 Oxford Services M40

07.30 London Hammersmith Apollo

09.30 Portsmouth Cross Channel Ferry Terminal
Perhaps the Captain and Navigating officer of HMS Astute could lend a hand with a company that doesn't know the difference between Portsmouth and Plymouth? They are both RN Bases after all!
 World Cruise - the real cost - Netsur
We did a lovely sail this February on the Hurtigruten line of ships that sail up and down the Norwegian coast stopping at small villages to offload mail, supplies etc. The ship was comfortable if not luxurious, but the scenery was amazing. It was very cold outside as we were well north of the Arctic Circle but lovely as toast inside and the fellow passengers were charming.
 World Cruise - the real cost - MD
Hi Esp. I have 'done' part of the Norwegian coast with P&O but this sounds more like my cup of Tea. Any chance of further details please.

Best regards..........Martin.
I want to do Norway as well but one either sails from UK and wastes 2/3 days at sea or one flies, with all the hassle that that involves these days. Limit of 20kg luggage, check in in 3 hours before a stupid o'clock take off with some vile airline, virtual strip dearch before being allowed into departures, where are your 100cc bottles of dubious liquids, hand over that bottle of water and so it goes on!

I can truthfully say that, when checking in for the Tunnel, I have never had to take off my shoes or belt, I take any type and size of liquid that suits ME and I check in 35 minutes before departure too, not 3 hours!

I think of the lines that sail Norway, Hurtigruten are the best; there is another line, NCL which have barbaric luggage searches to make sure you haven't brought booze back from a day trip and get consistently poor reviews on cruise comment websites.
We are not big boozers and might get through the equivalent of one bottle of wine per day (total - not each!) on a cruise so that cost doesn't especially alarm me. Are there any other costs apart from the apparently compulsory tipping? The "barbaric" luggage searches where my privacy is invaded, not for security, but simply to enhance the cruise line's profits is a big no-no for me. It even make Ryanair look friendly.
 World Cruise - the real cost - smokie
The American cruise line had a strict policy of not bringing on your own booze but I think it was an electronic scan not a physical search - ISTR people having plastic bottles which would not be found. If you bought some stuff as genuine presents while ashore they would lock it up for you and give you it back at the end.

I wouldn't let that put me off, cruising is a quite unique experience, albeit maybe not one you'd want to do too often.

No other costs (except expensive excursions) - plenty of free entertainment usually of very very high standard, and stuff going on during the day.

If you aren't the sociable type then you might have trouble getting used to dining with strangers, although for many that's part of the appeal. Tables are usually for 6 or 8, and you keep the same dining table for the trip. We met a fantastic Belgian couple on the last trip and he was the life and soul every evening - but obviously a bit too much for one couple, who never came to dinner after the first night!
 World Cruise - the real cost - Badwolf
Myself and Mrs B went on a two week Med cruise for our honeymoon and, actually, it was the cheaper option.

We looked at a week in Sorrento but that worked out at the same price as the cruise for just the flights and the hotel on a bed and breakfast basis. On the cruise, all food (except meals taken in the 'premium' restaurants) and all entertainment (and there was loads - there was no way you could do everything)was included. If we'd have gone to Sorrento, we'd have had to budget for evening meals every day, as well as finding something to do of a night (no filthy comments, considering it was our honeymoon!).

The excursions were expensive but we only booked two, preferring to find our own way in most places. The drinks weren't too bad price-wise. A pint of Stella worked out at around £4.50 so probably on a par with a 'posh' hotel. Our on-board spend for the fortnight was about £650, but we did smuggle a fair amount of booze on board. To be fair, Princess Cruises are quite relaxed about bringing booze on. You can bring two bottle of wine per couple when you board and a bottle each at each port. We also packed a bottle of vodka and a bottle of gin in our suitcases, and bought another bottle of vodka in Barcelona and transferred the contents into an empty water bottle.

We're considering another cruise for 2012 and would certainly recommend one. They do say that once you've cruised then you're bitten by the bug!
 World Cruise - the real cost - hobby
Anyone done one of the European River Cruises? (i.e. cruises for people who get seasick easily!)... I know we looked at the Rhine boats but none of them were wheelchair accessable so we didn't bother.
 World Cruise - the real cost - ....
>> Anyone done one of the European River Cruises? (i.e. cruises for people who get seasick
>> easily!)... I know we looked at the Rhine boats but none of them were wheelchair
>> accessable so we didn't bother.
>>
www.scenictours.co.uk/destination/europe-river-cruise/

Their modern "Space-Ship" boats do have facilities for wheelchair access to cabins.
 World Cruise - the real cost - hobby
Seems they do, but its not mentioned on their website! Bit more info here, thanks, gmac!

www.travelsignposts.com/river-cruises/riverboats/river-cruising-for-disabled
I have just checked with Viking River Cruises, good offers at the moment for 2011, but they only have Stannah type stair lifts rather than lifts into which a wheel chair would fit.
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Tue 26 Oct 10 at 17:42
 World Cruise - the real cost - Iffy
...You can bring two bottle of wine per couple when you board and a bottle each at each port. We also packed a bottle of vodka and a bottle of gin in our suitcases, and bought another bottle of vodka in Barcelona and transferred the contents into an empty water bottle....

Brewer's droop?

>> Brewer's droop?

Good heavens, no! The very idea...
Badwolf - please tell us you got off the boat with a few unopened bottles, ....please.

It was only two weeks: I've counted 3 bottles of spirits, 2 bottles of wine to start and a bottle of wine each at each port (each day I presume) all topped off with the odd pint @ £4.50.

And you spent £650 on board.

Wow!
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Wed 27 Oct 10 at 15:04
Ah, what I meant was the cruise line would allow us to take a bottle of wine on at each port. We only took two bottles on at embarkation and then bought another in Barcelona. Spirits wise, we took some empty miniature bottles with us and filled them up in our rooms to drink in the theatre/bars. If I fancied wine with my meal then I'd buy a bottle and make it last three nights - they were quite happy to store an opened bottle of wine for you until the next day.

A lot of what we spent was on treats, like the shore excursions and a relaxing massage treatment in the spa on the last sea day. If anybody's wavering over whether to go on a cruise or not I'd say 'do it', but make sure that you choose a good travel agent who will take the time to work out exactly what type of cruise you want.
Latest Forum Posts