Non-motoring > Runner beans Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Arctophile Replies: 8

Runner beans - Arctophile
I took the runner beans down this morning after the frost got at them over the last few days. As ever there were one or two large pods hiding in the greenery.

Can I save the beans from these pods for planting next year or is there likely to be a problems with them? I am wondering if perhaps they would be more prone to disease.

By the way, I had my best runner bean crop for some years – varieties: Wisley Magic & White Lady.
 Runner beans - FotheringtonTomas
You can save the seed for re-use. I do this myself. Just let the whole pod dry out on the plant or in your shed or somewhere. Keep the beans in a paper bag in the dry. Some people keep theirs in the 'fridge!
 Runner beans - madf
yes you can save them... just dry them out properly and save in a dry place or mould.

I switched to climbing french beans: far less stringy, better flavour, less waste...
Saved them too...
 Runner beans - CGNorwich
You can save them but they might not come true to variety if cross pollenated with you neighbours beans. You should leave them to dry on the plant and then keep them in a warm room until thoroughly dry. Then keep them in a paper bag in a cool place.

Certainly worth doing - was looking at the price of seeds this morning. Fancied growing some squash next year. Seeds were £4.60 for 16!
 Runner beans - Mapmaker
I too grow climbing French beans these days.

They work much better in London as runner beans require the temperature to drop overnight in order to set the fruit - French don't.

They also don't require polination - unlike runner beans.
 Runner beans - CGNorwich
French beans are self pollinating and lead sad and lonely lives
 Runner beans - Mapmaker
You are kidding, right? They're allowed to take their engines to pieces on the dining table. They're allowed to get fat. They get unlimited beer...
 Runner beans - madf
>> You are kidding, right? They're allowed to take their engines to pieces on the dining
>> table. They're allowed to get fat. They get unlimited beer...
>>

What sad has-beans...
 Runner beans - devonite
I`m having a re-think about the "sow by" date on seed packets, since i heard the chap who runs the National seed depository at Kew say (on TV) that at -18c seeds wil last thousands of years and still germinate!
So stick em in your freezer and forget the use by dates!
Latest Forum Posts