Non-motoring > Duvet or sheet and blankets? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 56

Duvet or sheet and blankets? - L'escargot
Even if you use a duvet size larger than the bed size (i.e. a king size duvet on a double bed) the duvet isn't long enough and you end up with your feet uncovered.

We prefer sheet and blankets securely tucked under the mattress. I believe the Queen has a similar preference.

What's your preference?
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Mapmaker
My preference is for uncovered feet. They are my air-cooled radiator. Just like a 2CV.
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - madf
Duvet with king size blanket on top tucked into bottom of bed.

Simples...
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Zero
Mine is long enough. You must be pulling yours up to far
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - R.P.
Either that or he's longer than you Z.
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Zero
He cant be longer than his bed now can he.
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - BiggerBadderDave
"Mine is long enough."

Short rse
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Runfer D'Hills
I like my feet sticking out. Can't be doing with being tucked in.
Depends who's doing the tucking...
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Perky Penguin
I have a normal double bed and normal duvet but keep it all pretty much in place with a very large cellular blanket, which provides another layer of warmth and then a very large "throw" which reaches down to the floor at the foot end and both sides. Nothing moves around much and no draughts - job done.
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Redviper
I like a duvet only, I never have sheets anytime of the year, and i like my feet to stick out the bottom or the sides.

But i like to be completely covered up at the top with the duvet with just my nose sticking out so i can breathe.
Light "summer" duvet - feet (naked) out.
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - WillDeBeest
Some of us are very nearly long as the bed. (Long term goal is a 2.2m bed but they sell in tiny quantities at prices that reflect their scarcity.) Duvet occasionally lets the feet get cold, but tucked-in blankets cramp the side 13s uncomfortably, so the duvet has it, with a blanket tucked loosely over on the coldest nights.
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Redviper
>> Some of us are very nearly long as the bed.

Im 6'3" and my feet stick out, becasue im taller than the bed is long - so i dont have a choice but i like my feet stuck out.
"Im 6'3" and my feet stick out, becasue im taller than the bed is long - so i dont have a choice but i like my feet stuck out."

Me too. But my bed is some awful modern designer job that has a kind of wide wooden perimeter shelf all the way around. It's useful for coffee cups, shot glasses, wine glasses, liquor glasses, beer glasses, tv glasses, mobile phones and half a dozen tv remotes but very painful on the feet. I have a pillow wedged in at the bottom so I can overhang in comfort.

We've got two duvets on at the moment and I love being in bed.
That made me laugh...
I finally decided the pillow was essential after I had some kind of nightmare and kicked out in my sleep, right onto the edge of the wood and woke up in agony.
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - MD
Me too, still chuckling!!
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - WillDeBeest
Some of us are very nearly as long as the bed. (Long term goal is a 2.2m bed but they sell in tiny quantities at prices that reflect their scarcity.) Duvet occasionally lets the feet get cold, but tucked-in blankets cramp the side 13s uncomfortably, so the duvet has it, with a blanket tucked loosely over on the coldest nights.

Edit: Oops. Long arms too - hard to keep fingers under close control.
};---)
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 19 Oct 10 at 11:42
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - BobbyG
King Size Duvet on Double bed.
I sleep with the whole right side of my body, from my shoulder to my toes lying on top of quilt and the left side under it.
One pillow only, 2 hurts my neck
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Netsur
How?
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Runfer D'Hills
>> I sleep with the whole right side of my body, from my shoulder to my toes lying on top of quilt and the left side under it.

That some kind of non-invasive / passive contraception thing Bobby ?

In other words, by the time you unravel that lot the moment has passed ?

:-)
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Mapmaker
>> >> I sleep with the whole right side of my body, from my shoulder to
>> my toes lying on top of quilt and the left side under it.
>>
>> That some kind of non-invasive / passive contraception thing Bobby ?

No, it's to make escape easier in the event of fire.
>>That some kind of non-invasive / passive contraception thing Bobby ?

Humph, never heard of the barrier method???
Send me a drawing........sounds good!!
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Roger.
"I believe the Queen has a similar preference."

Yes, but Brenda has a flunky to make her bed.
Last edited by: landsker on Tue 19 Oct 10 at 12:41
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Tooslow
Another King size duvet on double bed. I couldn't go back to the child-hood memory of being pretty much pinned down by the sheer weight of blankets. Real luxury was the woollen one crotcheted by my mother from spare bits of wool. Boy that was warm. But then we had no central heating, no double glazing and the curtains were regularly frozen to the windows (can you hear the violins?). These days I guess you'd not need as mnay blankets because the house is warmer.

I'll stick with the duvet though. It's about time to switch from the summer half to the winter half.

John
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Pat
I have about a tenth of a Duvet...

Pat

Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Tooslow
I know that feeling. Cats have nine tenths?

John
Cats have four fifths and we get a tenth each on opposite sides:)

Pat
>> Cats have four fifths and we get a tenth each on opposite sides:)
>>
>> Pat
>>

Never mind. What you lose on the cover, you gain on the fleas.. who keep you warm by enforced scratching..

If you look at a cat's ears, 99% of them have fleas and/or ticks there...

Don't forget the earmites, or the fact that everyone's bed has bed bugs either!

Pat
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Crankcase
I'm more worried about the eyebrow mites we all have, that travel down to your eyes when you're asleep to get a drink from the edges. But hey, everyone has to make a living.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 19 Oct 10 at 20:58
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Perky Penguin
Thread drift - never underestimate the benefits of a really good goosedown pillow to go with whatever duvet or bedding that you favour
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Bellboy
feet out for me at all times just like doing an early movie
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Bagpuss
We have a 2m bed, 2 x 90 cm wide mattresses and a duvet each as is the norm here. I hate getting to a hotel room and trying to figure out how to make sheets and blankets work. I also now struggle when I stay in the UK and have to make do with a single ginormous double duvet. Having one each is much more comfortable.
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Dave_
>> Im 6'3" and my feet stick out, becasue im taller than the bed is long - so i dont have a choice

Likewise... but I've had a double to myself for the last year and a half so I end up sleeping diagonally. Kingsize duvet too. I hit 6'3" by the age of 12, so my folks bought me a single 6'6" bed :)
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Iffy
I'm surprised at the number of people who profess to like exposed feet.

Not keen on cold tootsies meself, so it's a duvet augmented with a loosely tucked in blanket.

Same script at Iffy Towers and the caravan.

One thing no-one's mentioned is changing duvet covers.

Not a job I like, so remind me never to open a B'n'B.

Are you supposed to change them?
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Iffy
...Are you supposed to change them?...

Pal of mine spent either two or three years in the same house while he was at uni and didn't change the bed.

Duvet or sheet and blankets? - -
Brass king size bed, goosedown duvets and goose feather pillows and 100% cotton covers and pillows only.

Were recommended a particular mattress when we bought the bed, it's about one and a half times as thick as a normal mattress and is the most comfortable, being that bit higher is so much better too.

Couldn't go back to blankets again by choice, and the electric blanket has to be the best value luxury there is.
Marks and Spencer duvet covers have useful apertures near the top (closed end) so you can pull the duvets in by the ears as it were - makes changing them a breeze...
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Manatee
>>Not keen on cold tootsies meself,

I suffer with cold plates. Not mine though. Chuffing icy they are.
It's not an easy job for someone who has a problem gripping things but I've solved it now.
It was on mr pda's 'to do' list for Sunday while I was working, along with peel potatoes, peel swede for later in the week, and adjust Bertha's chain!

Pat
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - swiss tony
Here is an 'easy' way of changing duvet cover.....

place duvet on bed, folded in a Zed shape, what will be the top edge uppermost.
have cover turned inside out, from the inside reach up and grab both upper corners.
place your hands (still holding top corners) onto the top corners of the duvet.
through the cover, now hold the top corners of the duvet.
lift off the bed, and shake the cover over the duvet, (may help if you have an assistant)
when cover in place, place duvet on the bed, do up the poppers, zip, hold the bottom corners, and again shake.
hopefully the duvet will now fill the cover correctly.

I have a landing that allows me to do this procedure over the stair, and makes it even easier.

with practice you can do a kingsize single handed without too much hassle.
"Here is an 'easy' way of changing duvet cover..."

Here is an even easier way -

"Darling! Change the duvet cover will you?"
It works for me Dave, perhaps you're better half should try it.

Pat
>>I believe the Queen has a similar preference.
>>
NO Queen's in this bed.
Duvet changing is easy.. takes three minutes with two people and two minutes with one person..

Only wimps need instructions...:-)
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Old Sock
Duvet.

As an aside, does anyone still prudishly wear naff pyjamas in bed?
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - CGNorwich
You can't beat one of these:

www.woodsofshropshire.co.uk/shop/pyjamas-and-dressing-gowns/mens-night-shirts/magee-of-donegal-nightshirts

I can just picture Humph in a Magee Royal Stewart tartan nightcap:)

Pat
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - VxFan
>> As an aside, does anyone still prudishly wear naff pyjamas in bed?

I wear my birthday suit.
I am not discussing my nightly attire on an open website.

The RSPCA would sue me for cruelty to bats.
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Roger.
I am much more comfortable - purely in a physical sense - if I wear Jim-Jams to bed.
The only exception is high summer - but then we have our aircon in the bedroom set at 22 C.
I favour a white t-shirt and boxers in bed.

I never sleep in the nuddie, even after sex I put by boxers back on.

And why is it, that despite an infinite number of possible positions, a casually tossed pair of boxers will always land skids-on-show?
 Duvet or sheet and blankets? - Fursty Ferret
Duvet on king-size bed. Never had a problem with cold feet, and duvet is big enough to fold under my feet anyway if I want to. Didn't realise blankets and sheets were meant to be tucked into the end of the bed; I find the pressure on my feet really uncomfortable. Any hotel that does it can expect to find the whole lot on the floor each morning. :-)
Latest Forum Posts