Non-motoring > Lumbar support belt Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 10

Lumbar support belt - L'escargot
I need a lumbar support belt which can be worn for long periods at a time ~ such as all day. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for something cheap, but something that will conquer the lower back ache that's constant when I'm standing up.
I bought a cheap one made by York, but when I unpacked it I found that they recommend that it's worn for a maximum of three hours at a time.
 Lumbar support belt - Harleyman
Wifey bought hers from our chiropractor; she also tells me that you may be able to get one through the NHS.

By the way, have you consulted your GP and/or a chiropractor regarding remedial treatment for your back? The most common cause of backache, apart from injury, is bad posture BTW.

Or trade your shell for a lighter model. ;-)
Last edited by: Harleyman on Mon 18 Oct 10 at 19:08
 Lumbar support belt - Manatee
Or try a physiotherapist if you haven't. I've had great benefit with a severe cervical spine problem from a physio.

She warned me against osteopaths (of which chiropractors are apparently more or less a sub set). Osteopaths manipulate joints outside their normal range of movement which the physiotherapists think causes long term damage.

It's only fair to say it's obvious that the two disciplines have about about the same regard for each other as the Montagues and the Capulets, but having had a happy experience with the physios I'll stick with them.

I can truthfully say that I've had good experience from both; for my particular complaint, which is occupation-related, both offer pretty much the same set of exercises, and I didn't notice much difference in the actual manipulation. My wife has a disc problem which has required physio, of which more later.

I would certainly recommend consulting a GP first, just to rule out any deeper-seated problem; a decent osteopath would suggest the same. The downside of that is that you then have to wait for an appointment with the NHS physiotherapist, which in my wife's case took several months. She asked her GP about using my osteopath, and he suggested that she could certainly try it, but to desist if it made the pain worse. She attended several osteo appointments, and it did relieve the initial pain, but she stopped after her first physio appointment, at the osteopath's suggestion actually since he thought it would be best to continue only one line of treatment.
 Lumbar support belt - Bellboy
i got rid of my bad back when i stopped driving vauxhalls for mor than 20 minutes
 Lumbar support belt - Manatee
It's depressing that NHS physiotherapy is so hard to come by. I'm sure it's false economy. I've had to pay each time to get timely treatment.

That said, three £50 sessions to sort it out is a bargain when you have to get out of bed on your hands and knees and you can't turn your head.
 Lumbar support belt - CGNorwich
Agree find a decent physiotherapist. Avoid chiropractors - just another form of quackery. Might just as well sit under a magic crystal.
 Lumbar support belt - John H
>> Agree find a decent physiotherapist. Avoid chiropractors - just another form of quackery. Might just
>> as well sit under a magic crystal.
>>

I hope you have deep pockets:
business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article7098157.ece
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8621880.stm

Last edited by: John H on Mon 18 Oct 10 at 22:41
Avoid chiropractors - just another form of quackery. Might just
>> as well sit under a magic crystal.
>>

One man's meat, etc. As I said above it certainly worked for me; you're not a physiotherapist by any chance are you? ;-)
 Lumbar support belt - CGNorwich
No not a phyiotherapist, just someone who thinks that medicine should have a scientific basis and practioners should be properly trained, Chiropractic is pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo dreamt up in the nineteenth century and has no place in modern medicine.
 Lumbar support belt - Old Navy
I have suffered at the hands of various pysioterrorists over the years, and would strongly recommend them. Having suffered a serious back injury and subsequent problems they worked on me intermittently over several years and I am now pain free, other than the age related slight stiffness, (in my back). :-)
Latest Forum Posts