Non-motoring > Whacking great tax bill Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 17

Whacking great tax bill - Alanovich
We've just been landed a whopping tax bill, which, if paid in full immediately, would leave us struggling cash-flow wise for a bit. Which I don't fancy.

Is the taxman usually amenable to requests to pay in instalments? Don't want to go asking if the answer's likely to be a resounding no, followed by whatever consequences that may bring.

Thanks for any advice!
 Whacking great tax bill - Focusless
Haven't read it, but might be useful:
www.hmrc.gov.uk/payingHMRC/problems/cantpay-individuals.htm
Good link, thanks.
 Whacking great tax bill - Fenlander
The link says it all really but in my 15yrs self-employment I found they were very good as long as you kept talking to them with an honest dialogue. Go quiet on them and ignore stuff at your peril!
I'd rather not have to go through the palaver of setting up a long term arrangement, but would be quite happy to pay half now and half in a month. If we sent them a 50% payment with a note saying the rest will come in a month, do you think they'd get upset?
 Whacking great tax bill - Zero
phone them - (not right now, they are on strike) and tell them what you plan to do. Dont just send half.

what you really really want to avoid is an investigation into your tax affairs.

Exactly why I'm asking the question, Zero. I have nothing to hide but could do without the hassle of an investigation.

Whacking great tax bill - Iffy
Given the way in which some people mess them around, I'm sure they'd be delighted with half now and half in a month.

My only concern is that makes you look a little too flush.

Assuming it's an annual bill, how about offering three monthly instalments?

Whacking great tax bill - Bellboy
i got a lot of paying in slips off them years ago for paying my bill off every week,they were very good about it but dont like you missing a week because the coalman wants his money
 Whacking great tax bill - R.P.
I had my tax code reduced to 184 last month - all due to Mrs P's death, the least reason for me to wish she was still around..:-( My adviser has told me to blow some cash....
 Whacking great tax bill - L'escargot
>> My adviser has told me to blow some cash ....

Well, blow it in my direction!
;-)
 Whacking great tax bill - Zero
>> I had my tax code reduced to 184 last month -

They put me on a D0. Basically that means ALL income taxed at 40%

We are having words about that.
 Whacking great tax bill - MD
>> I had my tax code reduced to 184 last month - all due to Mrs
>> P's death the least reason for me to wish she was still around..:-( My adviser
>> has told me to blow some cash....
>>
I respectfully suggest you get an alternative advisor.
Working on it... !

It's the best deal I can get at the moment without actually getting a bill - I've deliberately had to keep a proportion of my assets liquid.......better next year perhaps.
 Whacking great tax bill - MD
Owt for nowt. Eventually he cometh>>>>>>>>>>>>

Best regards...........M
 Whacking great tax bill - Mapmaker
Call the tax inspector and tell him. There are special arrangements in place on account of the current depression. See this link. They'd much rather get the cash late than make you bankrupt and never get it.

www.hmrc.gov.uk/pbr2008/business-payment.htm
Thanks for all advice.

I've decided to cough up, and have done so this morning, in full.

We will be squeaking for a few months, but hey ho. We will not be going hungry.
Tax code back up to 417 now - I can prune about another two hundred quid off having thought of a little something last night.
Latest Forum Posts