Non-motoring > GoogleAnalytics - hanging Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 10

GoogleAnalytics - hanging - sherlock47
Anybody else having problems with the Non-Motoring page hanging waiting for response from GoogleAnalytics?

Only a problem on this site?
 GoogleAnalytics - hanging - smokie
OK here, now
 GoogleAnalytics - hanging - FotheringtonTomas
Block it. Block everything you don't want.
 GoogleAnalytics - hanging - Roger.
As usual, Firefox has the answer!

There is an add-on, "Google Analytics Browser opt-out" 0.9.1, which tells Google Analyticss Java Script ( ga.js ) not to send information to Google Analytics.

There is also another useful add-on, "Optimise Google, 0.78.1, which lets you stop all sorts of Google-ite activity and information collecting.
 GoogleAnalytics - hanging - car4play
Well at the moment we fund this site but eventually ads will have to fund it and advertisers want to know the google stats as much as we might like them or loathe them. So if we all had this attitude that we just block what we don't want here there will be no site. Period. Your way as a community of contributing is precisely NOT to block any advertising here. In return we try to make the ads as unobtrusive as possible. We don't overload them and have gone to great lengths to get fast loading times. Heck we even put code in to make the ads load last so at least you get to see the page even if the ads don't load, and that is something we didn't even do at the other place!

I must say I am a bit disappointed at the nature of these posts because they hint at what's in it for me, as opposed to a supporting community without which we might as well shut shop and do something else.
Last edited by: car4play on Sun 17 Oct 10 at 18:37
 GoogleAnalytics - hanging - Iffy
...I must say I am a bit disappointed at the nature of these posts because they hint at what's in it for me...

I doubt if more than a handful of us try to block the ads, I don't, and I'm very wary of tinkering with settings because in the past I've got into a muddle.

And the thread has hardly taken off, which I think is another indication that most of us are inclined to live and let live when it comes to the ads.

GoogleAnalytics - hanging - Bromptonaut
Entirely understand the funding thing. But when the ads slow the site to the point that it's not usable then, unsurprisingly, the users bail out.

Wasn't that part of HJ's problem?
 GoogleAnalytics - hanging - CGNorwich
"But when the ads slow the site to the point that it's not usable ,"

Just not true in my experience
 GoogleAnalytics - hanging - Bromptonaut
>> "But when the ads slow the site to the point that it's not usable ,"
>>
>>
>> Just not true in my experience

Not mine either, but others seem to be getting close and it was certainly a problem on HJ.
 GoogleAnalytics - hanging - car4play
I agree but then I think our preferred solution is to for us to work together to improve the experience rather than simply block it.

At the moment it isn't much of an issue as the ad revenue is minimal so I am merely making a point. However, as I have said, most stuff now loads after the page content has loaded which should make the ads less obtrusive. In the past users have very helpfully pointed out when some ads we have tried just weren't working properly.

This is all probably a bit off topic anyway as the OP mentioned Google Analytics as the culprit - not the ads.
 GoogleAnalytics - hanging - FotheringtonTomas
>> when the ads slow the site to the point
>> that it's not usable then, unsurprisingly, the users bail out.

It doesn't have to be slow for them to "bail out", just, in their opinion, unpleasant in some way or another.

>> Wasn't that part of HJ's problem?

Yup.
Latest Forum Posts