Non-motoring > Hobbies What are yours? How long for? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 38

Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Bigtee
An old one i have had for some time is Amateur Radio it's a hobby that won't go away started back in the day with CB radio in the 80's.

And enjoy repairing things of a mechanical nature thats why i bought a worn out Lister D stationary engine just to get it working and is 95% done if dry next week i'll get it running.

Cycling and camping if this can be a hobby i enjoy it in the spring/summer/autumn.

Air shows a typical summer hobby i can combine the Ameateur radio with this i use the radio to receive the aeroplanes & snap away with the camera.!, Done this for a good number of years.

What do you do & how long have you done them for?

Do hobbies die off or do we just get bored with them and move on?

Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Redviper
I do motorsport marshalling, i dont know if you can count that as a hobby. but im just a trainee and still learning the ropes done it for about a year and half now
Last edited by: Redviper on Fri 15 Oct 10 at 22:31
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - bathtub tom
>> I do motorsport marshalling, i dont know if you can count that as a hobby.
>> but im just a trainee and still learning the ropes done it for about a
>> year and half now

Good for you Rv. I compete at at the lowest club level and marshall when I can't, or don't feel like competing. Got me a free, three day pass for this years Silverstone revival meeting.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Redviper
Got me a free, three day pass for
>> this years Silverstone revival meeting.
>>

Nice one! :-)

My Home Circuit is Croft, North Yorkshire, obviously the highlight of the season is the touring cars, and when marshalling is awesome!!!

Going to to join BARC I think next year, but at the moment im a memeber of Darlington District Motor Club (Croft)

I do go down to Cadwell Park though and really enjoy it, ive been for the last 4 events I think one major one being Modified Live

I havent worked up to the skill set to be at silverstone yet and of course im not yet a member of BARC , but ill be there one day
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - hawkeye
Some of my hobbies have turned to everyday activities.

Used to teach Lifesaving on a strictly amateur basis. Now teach/coach swimming; I've got certificates, a uniform and a monthly payslip.

Cycling; now commute to the swimming pool. Did my cycling instructors course last year.

DIY; I get a tiny income from handyman work.

Motorcycling; does that count as a hobby?

Photography; ditched that when a computer became an indispensable part of it.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - R.P.
er...cars and driving maybe...??

Well motorcycles are definitely a hobby these days - since 1981.

Reading - over the years WW2 and WW1 history with recent dabbling in the American War of Independence (where most of the history was written by the victors) Anyone interested in a basic briefing should read Fusilier by Marc Urban - since as long as I remember....

Computers - since about 1991ish (286 with a 42mb hard drive - and that was the optional larger size !)

Live music - seen more concerts in my time with my wife than I had in the previous fifty years...

Moaning - since forever.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Stuu
I collect antiques, usually quality but out of fashion stuff. I was given some 150 year old pieces of furniture by my nan early as she knew id look after them and I decided I much preferred the style and craftsmanship of older pieces.
Now I tend to pick up things as and when I can afford them.

Gardening has taken hold now too, Im really enjoying the neverending aspect of it and the way you can express your design ideas through a garden.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Ted

I'm looking forward to BBD's post on this thread !

Ted
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Bromptonaut
Watching aeroplanes since I was a boy (we lived near Leeds/Bradford Airport); collecting registrations for a while between 1974 and around 1980.

Getting to the airport was only feasible by bike which got me into cycling. As of today the bike fleet comprises two Brompton folders, a Dawes touring bike and a Claud Butler utility/MTB. Still combing the tip and occasionally the bike shop for additions!!

Cycle touring got me into youth hostelling and, through the YHA's local group in Harrow, I met Mrs B (who contributes a Peugeot tourer and another Claud Butler ATB to the fleet).

Aircraft spotting also got me into radios for tracking flights on VHF and later HF.

Hill walking and driving messing with cars (mostly PSA products) completes the picture.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 15 Oct 10 at 23:39
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - RattleandSmoke
Probably the usual

Cycling - although I get lazy I do enjoy a nice cycle in my local countryside when I get chance.

Photography- I like to record local history, if I live to an old age I will be writing many local history books.

Local history - as above.

Tram spotting - well this is a new hobby due to all the extension works. Its more about charting the history of the works rather than spotting trams!.

Beer.

Computers since 1990 when my dad bought his second C64. I have a vague memory of my dads first but it blew up in 1985. I fell in love with the C64 and would write some very very basic programs with it. I got my first PC in 1993 as a result of an insurance pay out. It was an IBM 386 with 2MB of RAM and a massive 80MB hard drive. It ran Windows 3.0 and Dos 4.0 but I used my Christmas money in 1994 to go out and buy DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 from PCWORLD.

Cars - I have no idea why as they have given me lots of stress but I do love my cars. Sadly for my wallet I have developed a liking for new cars and not old ones.

Learning - I was enver happer than learning at university, I got lazy BUT I wish I had stayed and done a masters. It was my only chance considering the way funding has now gone.

I love walking in cities (e.g London, Paris, Barcelona) and I love the countryside too. Nothing is better than a few beers over looking the mountains of Snowdonia.

Electronics - this is an old hobby, I don't really do anything any more but loved building newe circuits making noises and making LED flash.

I am just the typical nerd really. I have never been clever enough to be a geek.

Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - MD
You forgot the drinking.
In fairness he said beer ! :-)
>> In fairness he said beer ! :-)
>>
You only took his side cos he mentioned Snowdonia. 0-:)
>> In fairness he said beer ! :-)
>>
You only took his side cos he mentioned Snowdonia. 0-:)
Not my fault. Honest.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - merlin
I haven't really had a hobby for many years having been too busy with my career and family. However a few months ago I came across geocaching. Never heard of it before. It's like a treasure hunt where fellow geocachers hide a cache somewhere, share on the net and everyone else gets to find it using their GPS.

geocaching appeals on several levels:

- finding new places that I never knew existed before
- collecting (found ~100 caches so far)
- technology side (GPS and the net).
- long walks caching along the way
- gets me out of the house and away from my computer
- meeting new people at caching events.

I guess my other hobby is computing although it's more my profession now. Back in secondary school in ~1980 I came across a real computer for the first time. It was a Research Machines IIRC. Went on to buy one of the first BBC micro computers and made a good career out of being a computer geek.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - diddy1234
Although I do not have as much time as I used to (my little horror takes most of my time), I still have a few hobbies.

New Garden pond build
www.pond-life.me.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3615

Built a streaming media server
s941.photobucket.com/albums/ad255/diddy1234/?action=view¤t=grab2.jpg&newest=1

Headphone amplifier for my laptop (halfway down the page)
www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/85561/post-pics-of-your-builds/4200

Just a few things I have made over the past 12 months.

So to sum up, my hobbies are Electronics, Computers and gardening
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Runfer D'Hills
Mountain biking, for as long as I can remember. Used to build our own before the Americans "invented" them. Swimming and now very occasional sub aqua diving but only in warm water these days. Skiing, not as often now we live in Cheshire of course, but still do it when I can.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Fenlander
>>>mountain biking...

Interesting Humph. I still get the same feel of freedom getting on a bike now as I did on the first solo ride as a kid. Took the mountain bike on our UK coastal holiday this year and only used the car once in a week. Brilliant. Been rebuilding bikes since I was 10yrs old and still pull the odd older interesting one (ie properly made) from the tip and do it up.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Runfer D'Hills
I've always enjoyed tinkering with bikes Fenlander. As a child we made all sorts of weird and wonderful things from scrap bikes. A friend's dad had welding gear and we used to alter frames, change wheel sizes, fork lengths anything really just for the lark of it.

Living near open and reasonably rugged countryside one project really did bear a very strong resemblance to a modern off road bike. Smaller wheels, lower geared, fatter knobbly tyres, a ladies frame so no crossbar / gonad issues and with the advantage of a shorter reach between the saddle and bars, straight cut handlebars with plenty of padding and the gearchangers mounted on the bars.

Biggest failing on those early ones was breaking front forks which were a weak spot until the modern thicker guage tubing was introduced. I can remember a number of occasions limping home on one remaining front fork leg. Wrecked the spindle of course and you had to remove the front brake. Made the steering interesting too.

I'm still a bit retro when it comes to suspension though. I hate rear susssed bikes for the weight disadvantages and I'm not really in favour of front suss unless it's for extreme downhill purposes. For the most part I prefer very simple stripped back frames and would rather spend money on good tyres and gears than sussy forks.

We go to some fairly challenging locations and I'd much rather have the weight advantage of a simple frame than any marginal benefit of suspension.
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Sat 16 Oct 10 at 10:32
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Fenlander
The house DIY thread should give a clue but a thread running through my hobbies is the repair, restoration or improvement of physical items and then use of these things.

Over the years this has included cycles, cars/Land Rovers, tractors & farm equipment, houses/outbuildings. antique furniture/clocks/barometers, lawnmowers, Dysons (!), 60/70/80s hi-fi & band equipment, small boats/outboard motors.

Two other constants are horses which I've been keeping/riding on & off for 38yrs... and music both listening to at home/in car and going to several gigs each year.

Would you make this your new hobby?

www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/3270231218/in/set-72157605269786717/
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - AshT
Over the last few years I've not had much time for my hobbies - cycling, cricket, and fishing - due to the time taken by four children in the household.

Now our two older boys are growing up a bit, they're taking an interest themselves and we've had some great days out together on the beach or on bike rides. They prefer football, but we went to a 2020 game at Taunton this summer which they really enjoyed. Hopefully I'll get a few years sharing these interests with them, and our younger two as they get older, before they discover beer and girls.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Crankcase
Playing the organ.
Fixing old watches.
Science, especially cosmology.
History in all its forms.
Drawing.
Geocaching.
Art history.
Building solar gadgets.
Writing.
And my weakest - trying to make myself sound interesting.

Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Ted

Haven't really got time for hobbies due to all my interests.

The old car.
The old motorbikes.
Biking, on the modern one.
Motorbike camping....preferably abroad.
Railway history and messing about with models.
Touring caravan
Cricket...listened to all lot when Jonners/Blowers/Arlott were commentating
Classical music.
Early jazz recordings.
Eating in.
Eating out.
Beer.

DIY ? No, done me time now.
Used to hike a lot but angina stopped that, for now.
Was a member of the mixed nude leapfrog team until that unfortnate incident at the 64
Olympics got me cashiered :-)

See, Cranky....I'm a lot more boring !

Ted
The old car.
The old motorbikes.
Biking, on the modern one.
Motorbike camping....preferably abroad.
Railway history and messing about with models.
Touring caravan
Cricket...listened to all lot when Jonners/Blowers/Arlott were commentating
Classical music.
Early jazz recordings.
Eating in.
Eating out.
Beer.

Ermmm You must be retired to enjoy all this?
I would have a proper model railway too if I had the space. I could make space in the lock up and power it of a large 12V car battery I suppose.

It is quite an expensive hobby as well.

I enjoy my rock music but I am not really sure if that counts as a hobby, more of an interest but I did once used to go round all the second hand record shops building up all the rare Mancuncian records. I collected about £300 worth and got bored. I still own about 150 LPs and about 100 singles though. Not many 28 year olds have so much vinyl.

Edit I suppose HIFI has to be a hobby. Since driving though my HIFI hobby has to come to a half. I am stuck in the mid hifi range where any upgrades will cost £100s just to get a slight improvement in sound.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 16 Oct 10 at 18:00
Up the road a old kid has a railway in his garden it's huge and the loco is in his shed it's nice to see it out and running the grand kids around the garden.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Harleyman
Think my screen name rather gives the game away with my current "hobby"; been into motorbikes all my life, bought my first Harley in 1989, when they were a darn sight more scarce than they are now. Currently have 3 of my own plus Mrs. H's Sportster.

Also have a 1963 GMC pick-up, used as a working classic.

Model railways (N gauge) up to age 14, when I took a trip down to the Great Central Railway at Loughborough, became hooked, and spent a good few years as a volunteer. I still enjoy visiting preserved railways, but not museums; I much prefer to see them working.

Used to have an electric organ, still have a Technics keyboard but it's not so much fun. I intend to buy another electric organ when space and time permit; and also restore and learn to play the piano-accordian that's currently just an ornament in the living-room.

Long-term pipe-dream is to buy and restore a vintage lorry; a lottery win would enable me to achieve a life-time ambition to own a Morgan Plus 8.

Oh well, I'll keep dreaming! ;-)
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - movilogo
Over the years I had following hobbies

Stamp & coin collection [during school days]

Lego [school days then revived in adulthood for 2 years now defunct again]

Model rail [OO gauge - pursued for 1 year in adulthood]

Traveling [started in adulthood and still doing whenever money and time available]

Writing [blogs etc. - still continuing]
Last edited by: movilogo on Mon 18 Oct 10 at 09:10
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - madf
Running: approx 30 years. Age has forced me to cut back to only every second day .. around 17 miles/week.
Yoga: 11 years. Keeps me supple.

Beekeeping: 1 year: fascinating. Make my own hives from reclaimed wood.

Beating my wife: 40 odd years. So far I have tried and failed....
Last edited by: madf on Mon 18 Oct 10 at 09:49
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Old Sock
>> Beating my wife.....

Surely there must be some websites from which you could get some pointers :-)
Last edited by: Old Sock on Mon 18 Oct 10 at 11:03
You don't need a website. Just get a few cans of stella and it will result in a beaten wife :).

Actually its not something we should be making fun of really, domestic crime is quite serious.
Quite right Rattle.

The one hobby I forgot to mention was moderating here and previously at HJ's backroom.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Old Sock
Just to avoid confusion, I was hinting at consensual bedroom activities as opposed to indiscriminate violence.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - Mapmaker
Glad to see PU can testify to the miracle properties of Stella too.
Seen enough of the fallout over the years. Not good.
 Hobbies What are yours? How long for? - madf

To clarify any misunderstanding, when I referred to beating my wife, I meant at scrabble.
cough>
Last edited by: madf on Mon 18 Oct 10 at 13:50
That's what I meant as well !
Latest Forum Posts