Non-motoring > What are your favorite tools? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 24

What are your favorite tools? - Bigtee
150 ltr compressor is the best this works a good few tools inc the air gun and blower which is ideal when building engines, also my tyre machine for the other stuff.

Second will be the pillar drill if you have not got one invest it's got plenty of uses.

A good strong vice.

A good strong bench.

A good strong cup of tea & biscuits always heps with any jobs to do.!!
 What are your favorite tools? - BobbyG
The set of screwdrivers I got from Lidl a couple of weeks ago, has got loads of different fittings, all in a small plastic blue case.
 What are your favorite tools? - AnotherJohnH
Favourite, but probably least used, is an old brace with a screwdriver bit fitting instead of the more usual auger bit.

It really will shift just about any screw when I put some weight against it..

(shift is sometimes sheared, rather than unscrewed.)
 What are your favorite tools? - R.P.
A red Bakelite handled screwdriver which is rather bent these days - It's a screwdriver that was part of tool kit from a WW2 bomber - dunno what type but I often wonder whether it saw some action.
 What are your favorite tools? - Runfer D'Hills
A little set of Allen keys and screwdivers in the form of a mock Swiss Army knife. Had it for years. Comes in very handy when skiing, cycling and driving Westfields...
 What are your favorite tools? - AshT
I've got one of those Humph - as you say very useful for cycling. Sadly I've not (yet) had a chance to find out how useful it is when driving a Westfield.

No one's mentioned a 2lb lump hammer by the way :)
 What are your favorite tools? - Dulwich Estate
My Guys PA500 Yankee screwdriver. But I only use it as a ratchet one. It's about a foot long, gives plenty of oomph, has a choice of bits and most importantly - it lets me have "feel" towards the end of the tightening process which the electric ones don't.
 What are your favorite tools? - Iffy
My favourite tool is a custom-made Snap-on flex handle ratchet:

tinyurl.com/38cjnx8

Mine has a 3/8" drive ratchet in the 1/4" drive handle shown in the link.

The drives are interchangeable, although Snap-on don't do the shorter flex handle in 3/8", so the Snap-on man used to make them.

The result is a neat, handy, jewel-like tool which looks like it belongs in an operating theatre, not a toolbox.

Mine must be 30 years old, yet still looks like new.

What are your favorite tools? - Ted

The workshop kettle.

Ted
 What are your favorite tools? - Robin O'Reliant
A big hammer.
 What are your favorite tools? - Avant
A good old-fashioned plunger.

SWMBO thinks that the way to unblock drains is to pour some lethal chemicals down them - but I find the plunger works every time.
 What are your favorite tools? - Bigtee
Not in the bog when a huge log is stuffed down it. lol.................
 What are your favorite tools? - crocks
The two tools that bring a smile to my face whenever I use them are -

A cordless circular saw. After so many years of avoiding the cable on other saws it is so much more relaxing to use. Also useful in Wickes carpark to cut down 8x4 boards to fit in the car.

A nail puller with a integral slide hammer. I saw a plumber use one several years ago to remove floor boards and it looks like magic. I just had to have one. When anyone sees it they can't work out what it is but it is so efficient on floorboard nails.
Just found a link to one - www.smithfrancistools.co.uk/nailpull.htm
Last edited by: Crocks on Mon 18 Oct 10 at 13:04
 What are your favorite tools? - Mapmaker
>>A cordless circular saw. After so many years of avoiding the cable on other saws it is so much more relaxing to use. Also useful in Wickes carpark to cut down 8x4 boards to fit in the car.

Or the cordless jigsaw for similar uses.
 What are your favorite tools? - Zero
My Swiss Army knife -cyber tool version.
 What are your favorite tools? - Pat
My trusty crowbar.

Pat
 What are your favorite tools? - Harleyman
Logging maul. Visualising my boss's face in the rings of a freshly-sawn piece of oak adds a good deal of energy to the blow!
 What are your favorite tools? - Stuu
The wife. Both recreational and practical, a tool of a thousand uses. Just have to know what buttons to press to make it work ;-)
 What are your favorite tools? - madf
My 1970s Workmate...and my 1890s vice..
Last edited by: madf on Mon 18 Oct 10 at 20:05
 What are your favorite tools? - Zero
I only have one vice.....
 What are your favorite tools? - Fullchat
My 2 stroke chain saw .

Just has some appeal when taken up to full throttle :-]]]
 What are your favorite tools? - Londoner
A portable multi-tool that I brought back from Switzerland.

It's made by the same company as the famous Swiss Army knife, and comes in very useful. Beautifully made, and it has a lifetime guarantee (and they are not bluffing).
 What are your favorite tools? - Ted

I suppose one of my best buys was my sliding chop saw.
Gets good right angled cuts and mitres with minimum effort.

Wouldn't be without one. Least used tool is probably my Joddler.....not used it for years.

Ted
 What are your favorite tools? - Roger.
A telephone to call the tradesperson.
 What are your favourite tools? - WillDeBeest
Best buy was a set of ten Stanley screwdrivers with soft, grippy handles. Always having the right screwdriver for the screw, plus having enough grip to exert the necessary force, has saved me no end of time and trouble since I bought them in 1991. They're still in their original clear-topped box too, although these days the hinges and the clasp are both made of black Duck tape.
Latest Forum Posts